Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Xandu posted:

If my company gives me an award for outstanding performance, is it worth adding to my resume or would it look stupid?

It is worth adding as a bullet point as part of your job description. Awarded the [insert company name] [insert official award name] for [insert reason it was awarded] in August, 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Is it appropriate to apply to job postings now when I would not be able to start working anywhere until February?

You might as well wait, unless the position is advertised specifically as starting in February.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm looking for my first non-student job in the computer science field and I'd like some help on the general layout.

As a grad I took on a major project that culminated in my thesis, in addition to three publications (one of which I'm presenting at an IEEE conference). My employment history is several (paid) "student jobs at university" type stuff. All are generally related to the compsci field but they vary in the specifics and duration (just like any set of jobs).

I'm not quite sure how to approach that in terms of layout. What I started with is more or less this layout: (1-page)
  • Header (name, contact info)
  • Technical abilities (customized for the job)
  • Experience (jobs and projects, selling up the responsibilities for each)
  • Education (real brief, just university, major/minor, and dates)
  • Publications (title and publication info)
  • Awards
I feel like my research is probably my best foot, getting a paper published in an IEEE conference is something I'm super proud of, and this kind of buries it. On the other hand I don't know how much employers really care about that versus getting to the buzzwords sooner. My current draft has "Published 3 papers, including one presented at an IEEE conference" as a bullet point in "experience" on the related project. I could just settle for that as a bullet point, or just have the "publications" section, or both.

The "awards" section is another one I'm not really sure about. I got a bunch of "#1 department/college scholar" type awards that I think have professional value. I also have Eagle Scout, which I don't think will actually hurt me to list (apart from the line) and might possibly help. I could roll the scholar awards into the "education" section but then I don't have a place to advertise Eagle Scout.

Is an undergrad senior project a significant enough thing to worry about including in the experience? Or make the call on a offering-by-offering basis depending on whether it contributes to a requested qualification? It wasn't paid or an internship, but it did involve collaborating with a customer (local business) to deliver a project.

Also more generally how much experience should I list? I have a couple projects that are older or smaller. My most recent work is a given but should I list all the way back, or just focus on biggest and most relevant experience, or what?

Overall I'm kinda tight on space, I can squish things down a little but I don't want to hurt legibility too much. If I need more space I figure I want to keep the important stuff on Page 1, so I should probably push "education" and "publications" to page 2 if that happens? Or should I focus it down and keep it at 1 page?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 11, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Is it appropriate to apply to job postings now when I would not be able to start working anywhere until February?

Probably just wait unless you're in a weird field that is on some seasonal schedule or recruitment regularly takes half a year. By the time a given team/department/whatever has actually managed to demonstrate the need for a new position and gotten all the approval stamps and put it through to recruiting who actually put up the ad, they needed that position filled last week.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Disclaimer: I majored in chemistry, not CS :) But before getting into the other stuff you said "non-student job" which implies you've been employed for money. That should go generally go first even if doesn't have much to do with your degree, unless it was shorter than 6 months.

I'm concerned that you're just graduating college and are pushing 2 pages. That shouldn't be the case. You're risking someone chunking your resume due to information overload. Employers aren't nearly as interested in your academic achievements as you think they are. Not trying to be a dick or saying you shouldn't be proud (especially in a bone crushingly hard major like CS, I barely squeaked by one semester in EE before switch to science), it's just the truth.

Set it up as:
Header
Education
Experience
Publications and Awards <-- for new grads only
Skills <-- ONLY if you can actually back it up. I imagine in your case this would be stuff like programming languages.

You should not list any school project under experience. It's only experience if you got paid for it.

Sorry my advice is pretty brief but I don't know much about hiring CS grads, maybe someone more familiar with the field can comment more.

seacat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 12, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

seacat posted:

Before we get to any of that: have you ever had a job? That should go first.

Yeah, that was the first thing I said. I've held various paid "student" type jobs doing grading, research work, TA'ing, and programming-by-the-hour, but this will be my first private-sector job in my field.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 12, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Jobs in your field go first, non-student jobs in unrelated fields (E.g. retail) eh... Use them as padding if you have to. If you're in the US, try to keep it to one page, that's the standard from what I understand.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, that was the first thing I said. I've held various paid "student" type jobs doing grading, research work, TA'ing, and programming-by-the-hour, but this will be my first private-sector job in my field.

Sorry I re-read the post and realized my mistake -- I edited some stuff.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Jobs in your field go first, non-student jobs in unrelated fields (E.g. retail) eh... Use them as padding if you have to. If you're in the US, try to keep it to one page, that's the standard from what I understand.

You know, you'd be surprised at what stuff can be related with some jobs. My current coworker did a LOT of hiring for an environmental contract lab over the course of 10-15 years. He said some of the most outstanding employees he had (and therefore after a couple years, the type of resume he looked for) were people who worked in restaurants on the side in school because they were familiar with stressful fast-paced work environments, generally had a good work ethic, and had customer service skills which were absolutely requirements of the job. Obviously the science degree was a non negotiable requirement since even the hardest working waiter at Chili's will never be able to jump in and do complicated chemical analysis but... employers do look at your non-major jobs and that can set you aside even more than the complicated technical stuff.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm looking for my first non-student job in the computer science field and I'd like some help on the general layout.

As a grad I took on a major project that culminated in my thesis, in addition to three publications (one of which I'm presenting at an IEEE conference). My employment history is several (paid) "student jobs at university" type stuff. All are generally related to the compsci field but they vary in the specifics and duration (just like any set of jobs).

I'm not quite sure how to approach that in terms of layout. What I started with is more or less this layout: (1-page)
  • Header (name, contact info)
  • Technical abilities (customized for the job)
  • Experience (jobs and projects, selling up the responsibilities for each)
  • Education (real brief, just university, major/minor, and dates)
  • Publications (title and publication info)
  • Awards
I feel like my research is probably my best foot, getting a paper published in an IEEE conference is something I'm super proud of, and this kind of buries it. On the other hand I don't know how much employers really care about that versus getting to the buzzwords sooner. My current draft has "Published 3 papers, including one presented at an IEEE conference" as a bullet point in "experience" on the related project. I could just settle for that as a bullet point, or just have the "publications" section, or both.

The "awards" section is another one I'm not really sure about. I got a bunch of "#1 department/college scholar" type awards that I think have professional value. I also have Eagle Scout, which I don't think will actually hurt me to list (apart from the line) and might possibly help. I could roll the scholar awards into the "education" section but then I don't have a place to advertise Eagle Scout.

Is an undergrad senior project a significant enough thing to worry about including in the experience? Or make the call on a offering-by-offering basis depending on whether it contributes to a requested qualification? It wasn't paid or an internship, but it did involve collaborating with a customer (local business) to deliver a project.

Also more generally how much experience should I list? I have a couple projects that are older or smaller. My most recent work is a given but should I list all the way back, or just focus on biggest and most relevant experience, or what?

Overall I'm kinda tight on space, I can squish things down a little but I don't want to hurt legibility too much. If I need more space I figure I want to keep the important stuff on Page 1, so I should probably push "education" and "publications" to page 2 if that happens? Or should I focus it down and keep it at 1 page?

1 page is always nice but going to 2 isn't a big deal. It can come off as somewhat unnecessary if you are fresh out of school, but if you have research publications and so forth to list, I'd say that's a good enough excuse in my book.

My advice on the tech buzzwords is that they don't necessarily have to show up first because employer swill scan for them anyway in the context of how you used them (at least half-decent ones, full-time non-technical HR drones will just do a visual grep and put it in a pile). You can always just bold/emphasize them so they stand out.

I would agree with your sentiment that having been published is worth bringing up front somehow, it will definitely make you stand out. The awards are worth including as well IMO, most hiring managers like seeing an evidence you were a gets-poo poo-done straight-shooter in school. Like, even those who don't really care about grades will still still take note of a "straight A" student - again, it just indicates somewhat that is hard working and reliable (which is very valuable, though not on its own sufficient - you still need to look like you can actually program and work with people).

I would leave the Eagle Scout thing out. It's something you'd expect from someone applying for a job in or fresh-out-of highschool. It doesn't scream professionalism. Anything you include that isn't obviously relevant to the job at hand just says "here's some filler, since I lack actual qualifications". If you hit a fellow Eagle Scout sure, it may have helped, but I think the odds are not in your favour. Also some people just plain don't like Scouts and the tech field is full of ego-tripping hispters that will absolutely make hiring decisions based on you just don't seem cool enough for us (or you're the wrong kind of cool). I've heard of people getting passed over because they wear suits and that's just too corporate for us cool startup types maaaaan. It's really lovely, but that's just how it is.

Undergrad project is fine to include if it involved actually getting something somehow useful done. Again, we want to hear you're good actually working with people towards some practical end, and you're not just really good at passing tests and getting student awards.

You'll have to use your judgement to figure out how far you should go back and what to prioritize. Definitely don't exceed 2 pages, and keep in mind what I said about stuff that comes off as "filler". In general I'd say that if you can make a really strong in one page than a 2 page resume that only adds petty little achievements is probably not going to be as effective. It really depends on your particular situation though, so take all this with a grain of salt (In fact, take this whole post with a grain of salt - I've been involved in the hiring process on a handful of occasions but it is certainly not my area of expertise).

Don't cram your layout or use tiny-print. The point of a one-page resume is that it's quick to read. Putting 3 pages of content on one page sort of defeats the purpose. It also makes it look ugly as gently caress and will give me an eyestrain headache when I try to read it - neither of these things will work in your favour.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

seacat posted:

You know, you'd be surprised at what stuff can be related with some jobs. My current coworker did a LOT of hiring for an environmental contract lab over the course of 10-15 years. He said some of the most outstanding employees he had (and therefore after a couple years, the type of resume he looked for) were people who worked in restaurants on the side in school because they were familiar with stressful fast-paced work environments, generally had a good work ethic, and had customer service skills which were absolutely requirements of the job. Obviously the science degree was a non negotiable requirement since even the hardest working waiter at Chili's will never be able to jump in and do complicated chemical analysis but... employers do look at your non-major jobs and that can set you aside even more than the complicated technical stuff.

I agree; what i meant was that you don't need to expound on them. "Waiter, Chili's, West Bumfuck, OR" is more than enough. You don't need to go into how many customers you handled and whatnot... People know what waiters do.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I would still not ever put down Chilli's for a programming position, just IMO. The overlap is just too minimal to be useful. Again, just IMO.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Mr. Wynand posted:

I would still not ever put down Chilli's for a programming position, just IMO. The overlap is just too minimal to be useful. Again, just IMO.

Chiming in: I’m also moving from science to web development, and the Newbie Programming Thread had mixed advice on this topic. I put my convenience store work as the last entry on my resume, though I didn't mention my earlier grocery store job.

shrughes posted:

I'd keep the "convenience store clerk" thing because P(you being a pretentious flake) is smaller.

Skuto posted:

You probably want to roll off the irrelevant experience a little. The last "convenience store clerk" thing tells me you'll probably make OK coffee.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, this is what we decided a while ago. If you've held down a job during college, even a lame convenience store clerk or waitstaff job, that means you've held down a job and comprehend such things as "showing up on time" and "not constantly fighting with coworkers" which are not guaranteed skills sadly, enough.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
I'd agree you should list (single lines for each) 'non-professional' job experience while you're trying to get your first one.

However, as a manager, I would just shitcan a new college grad who sent a 2-page resume, unless the guy was Jesus-level good and I could tell that from skimming. It's an unacceptable level of naivete, in my book.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
The thing is we do generally assume you can wing those "skills" if you were otherwise able to pass as a competent programmer. Yes some people end up not being able to but it's not like we'll ever actually make a decision based on evidence to the contrary by way of holding on to a mcjob. Like, we'll never actually see 2 candidates that are 100% identical just oh look this one managed to not get fired form Wendy's for a whole 2 months in summer break, so might as well hire him. OTOH I think there's a very real danger someone is going to take your resume less seriously because you didn't have something more relevant to add. Not super likely, but I find it much easier to imagine. *shrug* - maybe that's just me.

My own impression is that hiring, even in tech (perhaps even especially in tech) does, sadly, end up coming down to personal impressions and "gut feelings" and whatever wishy-washy rapport you manage to establish with your interviewer. Those are always going to take precedence over some theoretical optimal classification strategy based on available evidence. It's just "would I enjoy working with this person?" - and I mean, ask yourself, would you want to work with the average Chilly's employee? What's your immediate gut-feeling when you consider the possibility?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Okeeeee so, I got my first offer from my current job hunt. It includes a very handsome salary which makes me very happy. It also includes an expiry date unfortunately, for this Thursday. It's also from the least interesting company I applied for (but I sort of expected that - big money, boring job, such are the choices we make, ah well). The really exciting company that I really really want to work for (and whose interview I also thought I bombed) let me know that they are still interviewing candidates and will give me an update Friday. This means that 1) I'm still in the running! (yay), but also 2) I won't know anything until it's too late for this other offer (boo).

So I guess I'll start by asking for an extension on the offer I just received - though they know I've been looking elsewhere as well, so I bet they'll want to play hardball and say it is what it is, take or leave. If they are cool and give me the extension, all is well, but what do I do if they don't? I mean it reflects poorly on them for starters, but again, it's big ol' boring corp, I don't really expect them to act otherwise. Next step is probably to ask the cool company if I really am still in the running or if they're just being polite and letting me down softly - but if they aren't it is almost certainly too much to ask them to hurry up their decision for my sake.

I guess if I have to I can always just let this offer expire and try to use it to strengthen my position asking for a raise at my current employer (which was always my plan - I don't hate it here or anything, it just pays way below market). I would have been in a much better position to bargain with an actual-I-can-walk-out-of-here-any-time-offer on the table, but even so, it shows I can find someone willing to pay me more, so it would only be a matter of time if they don't give me the raise...

What do?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Mr. Wynand posted:

My own impression is that hiring, even in tech (perhaps even especially in tech) does, sadly, end up coming down to personal impressions and "gut feelings" and whatever wishy-washy rapport you manage to establish with your interviewer. Those are always going to take precedence over some theoretical optimal classification strategy based on available evidence. It's just "would I enjoy working with this person?" - and I mean, ask yourself, would you want to work with the average Chilly's employee? What's your immediate gut-feeling when you consider the possibility?

Not trying to start an argument here but...

1. (My field is a lab/manufacturing, not tech environment but applicable) I noted in my example above a hard science degree was a non-waivable requirement. Holding down a job while getting a real degree is not your average fast food/retail/whatever employee.

quote:

not get fired form Wendy's for a whole 2 months in summer break
2. Also mentioned 6 months as a bare minimum. One of our absolute best chemists managed a yes, Chili's, for 3 years (we confirmed to make sure she wasn't bullshitting) while getting a BS Chem degree.

3. You're talking about intangibles with your interviewer and you're absolutely right. But we're talking about resumes here. The objective of a resume is to get you an interview.

No sane hiring manager is looking for accomplishments on your resume at a college side job. Everyone knows service jobs like waiting tables and selling shoes are just not conducive to metrics like that. What we're looking for in a fresh college grad is a track record of reliability and tolerance to start with the gruntwork and stick with it and not complain about it. That will get you your first real job. After that it's your accomplishments and connections.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

No argument at all - like I said, these are are my impressions, they may well be off and not representative of the industry at large.

Also,

I talked to both companies and the one making the offer is extending the deadline until next Thursday, and the one I really wanted to work for (whose interview I thought I totally bombed) said I was actually at the top of their shortlist so far, and they can make a decision early if needed. So basically I will either get my dream job with a great salary or a less exciting (but still pretty solid looking) job with an amazing salary. :dance:

Probably safe to let my current employer know what's up at this point eh? I want to give them as much time as possible.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Wynand posted:

Probably safe to let my current employer know what's up at this point eh? I want to give them as much time as possible.

Nooooooooo, do not do this until you have an offer, in writing. "At the top of the shortlist" does not mean "you're hired" and you do not want to cut yourself off from anything until your next step is clear.

If you have an unusually, extremely healthy relationship with your boss, you could say "I've been interviewing some other places and some of those are starting to wrap up, so I might be turning in my notice soon". But I still wouldn't; 2 weeks notice is standard and you won't win any points for giving longer notice. If you've ever seen anyone at your company walked out when they gave notice (this happens a lot), obviously you don't want to give notice.

If the jobs fall through, you don't want to have nothing. I know it all sounds very promising now, and it probably is fine, but there's no point in taking unnecessary risk. Don't pull a Marko Ramius.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Bisty Q. posted:

Nooooooooo, do not do this until you have an offer, in writing. "At the top of the shortlist" does not mean "you're hired" and you do not want to cut yourself off from anything until your next step is clear.

If you have an unusually, extremely healthy relationship with your boss, you could say "I've been interviewing some other places and some of those are starting to wrap up, so I might be turning in my notice soon". But I still wouldn't; 2 weeks notice is standard and you won't win any points for giving longer notice. If you've ever seen anyone at your company walked out when they gave notice (this happens a lot), obviously you don't want to give notice.

If the jobs fall through, you don't want to have nothing. I know it all sounds very promising now, and it probably is fine, but there's no point in taking unnecessary risk. Don't pull a Marko Ramius.

I do have the offer in writing from the one place. Well the extension of the term was verbal but its not like the offer is legally binding anyway (AFAIK?).

Its a tiny company, AFAIK nobody was " walked" for giving notice and honestly I don't think they'll be able to handle their current contracts when I leave so I should hope they see this as the "I am trying my very best here not to gently caress you all over" that it is.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Can someone rip apart my resume? I'm applying for my first job in web development or data visualization, and I'm still not confident about sending this out to NYC companies.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujgqaq3u44cvlla/ae_resume_8_12.pdf

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Wynand posted:

I do have the offer in writing from the one place. Well the extension of the term was verbal but its not like the offer is legally binding anyway (AFAIK?).

Its a tiny company, AFAIK nobody was " walked" for giving notice and honestly I don't think they'll be able to handle their current contracts when I leave so I should hope they see this as the "I am trying my very best here not to gently caress you all over" that it is.

Offer letters aren't legally binding, no, but it puts you in a far better situation that not having one. That said, if you have an offer in writing you'd be happy to take, go ahead and give notice. You ultimately know your place better than us, and as long as you have something to fall back on, go ahead and be nice. Just make sure you're happy with the fallback or the potential outcome that they realize they're hosed without you and their attempt to go nuclear by axing you early, or by trying to guilt-trip you into staying.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

Can someone rip apart my resume? I'm applying for my first job in web development or data visualization, and I'm still not confident about sending this out to NYC companies.

You have a total of 8 months of webdev experience and... none in data vis? You're going to have better luck entering somewhere through a 'college hiring' program or an internship.

The content seems fine, about what I'd expect for someone with your level of experience. I'd try to add in any research you've had published if you're going through a college hiring track, though, they're going to want to see that.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
They can guilt trip me all they want... with money. I feel pretty guilty walking away from money... My capacity for employer empathy became drastically limited the first time I was shitcanned under made-up causes so they could ship my department over to some Ukrainian contractor (though I'm sure that was all just a funny coincidence).

But yes ultimately I can just walk away without too much trouble, though it would be pretty self-destructive of them to make that happen. They don't strike me as particularly spiteful or vindictive.

I definitely don't feel too great helping them plan for the next month or so knowing I'll gently caress off momentarily.

Awkward lunch, here we go.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Two survival job employers want me, and I'm kind of conflicted.

• Job A: Better pay (approx $500 more each month), full-time (Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30), has a full benefits package, manager seems a bit rough.
  • Job B: Full-time hours available (but not officially considered a full-time employee to start), flexible hours, manager is cool.

They're pretty much right next door to each other, so location isn't an issue. I know it seems like a no-brainer for Job A, but here's the problem: I want to continue networking, volunteering, and doing whatever else it takes to get out of underemployment. There's nobody around in Job A that could cover for me if I need to take a morning/afternoon/day to do these things, which would lag things at the workplace and ultimately piss off Manager A. I already discussed things with Manager B regarding scheduling around my appointments and whatnot and he's totally onboard with that.

Any advice, goons? Do you think it would be too brazen to ask Manager A if I could work evening shifts on some days? Considering it's for shipping/receiving and the distributors run on the same daytime hours it probably won't even be possible to begin with.

E: I guess there's also the obvious answer of "Don't take a full-time 9-5/mon-fri job if you can't make the commitment," which is what I'm thinking is going to be the only reasonable response.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2014

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Analytic Engine posted:

I'd caution against the "on leave" status for your PhD as it might make them think that you'll be leaving the job to go back to school whenever it pleases you. Are you ABD? That'd be useful to put because it says (i) that you're almost done and (ii) that you might not need to be physically located at your university if you're not done. If not, you might just want to go with something like "completed 4 years of PhD program" or something like that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Big City Drinkin posted:

I'd caution against the "on leave" status for your PhD as it might make them think that you'll be leaving the job to go back to school whenever it pleases you. Are you ABD? That'd be useful to put because it says (i) that you're almost done and (ii) that you might not need to be physically located at your university if you're not done. If not, you might just want to go with something like "completed 4 years of PhD program" or something like that.

Ok, I changed it to "Ph.D. Experience" since I'm not ABD. I went on leave in January of this year and intend to work as a full-time developer from now on.
I would return to the program if conditions changed dramatically or my new employer wanted to do something involving academic research.

Here is another rewrite with more relevant info and fewer lines of additional stuff:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/362h1sbf2tz32q6/ae_resume_8_12_newest.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5e2jws93sswrg0/ae_resume_8_12_newest.docx

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 13, 2014

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
I'm applying for a position after holding two decently senior spots. It is time to remove the administrative role I had before I was promoted at last company and internship I held before that, right? I had previously included them because it showed that I progressed within the same organization and kept getting asked to stay. That currently makes my resume an awkward 1.33 pages long, but I have an MA, 5 years of work experience, and 5 publication and presentations to my name. Is it time for me to embrace the 2 page resume?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

kaishek posted:

I'm applying for a position after holding two decently senior spots. It is time to remove the administrative role I had before I was promoted at last company and internship I held before that, right? I had previously included them because it showed that I progressed within the same organization and kept getting asked to stay. That currently makes my resume an awkward 1.33 pages long, but I have an MA, 5 years of work experience, and 5 publication and presentations to my name. Is it time for me to embrace the 2 page resume?

What kind of jobs are you applying to? Academic, research, admin?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

What kind of jobs are you applying to? Academic, research, admin?

I do work on the Middle East, so my past jobs have been think tanks while I do independent research (hence the pubs) - new job is political risk/research and analysis. I'm currently a "deputy director" of a department and would be moving to a position titled either "senior analyst" or "senior subject matter expert" (hopefully). Thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You're probably fine with a two pages resume.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

kaishek posted:

kaishek posted:

I do work on the Middle East, so my past jobs have been think tanks while I do independent research (hence the pubs) - new job is political risk/research and analysis. I'm currently a "deputy director" of a department and would be moving to a position titled either "senior analyst" or "senior subject matter expert" (hopefully). Thanks!

Yes, absolutely. Sounds like you should be using a CV. Make it as long as you need. I doubt anyone is going to throw out your application because you submitted more than one page of qualifications for a senior position.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

Yes, absolutely. Sounds like you should be using a CV. Make it as long as you need. I doubt anyone is going to throw out your application because you submitted more than one page of qualifications for a senior position.

Thanks guys! Now the trick is to get it to 1.5 pages without it being the awkward length where my second page is just "skills". Add a "summary of qualifications" at the top?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I landed my dream job for the place I thought I bombed the technical interview for. Got them to up their offer too - boo-yeah.

Thanks Employment thread :hfive: - I'd buy you all an ice cold domestic beer if I could.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, my internship offered me a full-time position in Chicago (hooray!). However, I'm also waiting to hear back from a job in NYC, which would be my dream job. I have a meeting with the VP over my department to discuss "things" tomorrow. I just got the offer letter today, but I'm assuming he'll want to discuss it during our meeting. Is it kosher to just say I'm waiting for another offer to compare (he knows I've been interviewing at other places) or should I just frame it as needing time to decide and calculate cost of living, relo, etc.?

EDIT: I let the NYC job know I had an offer on the table and I was told they would get back to me soon with an "update."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Most places aren't under the impression that they're the only place a candidate interviewed at, and won't be offended if someone says "I'm very interested, but I'm waiting to hear from another place too".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

kaishek posted:

Thanks guys! Now the trick is to get it to 1.5 pages without it being the awkward length where my second page is just "skills". Add a "summary of qualifications" at the top?

Once you go longer than one page, you might as well hit two.

Go into details as to your publications and projects. Of course, you already have a summary of qualifications.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

You have a total of 8 months of webdev experience and... none in data vis? You're going to have better luck entering somewhere through a 'college hiring' program or an internship.

The content seems fine, about what I'd expect for someone with your level of experience. I'd try to add in any research you've had published if you're going through a college hiring track, though, they're going to want to see that.

You really need to expand the relevant jobs. You really aren't describing your skills here much at all. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

DustingDuvet posted:

You really need to expand the relevant jobs. You really aren't describing your skills here much at all. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'll rewrite it with more detail, and your formatting suggestions are inline with what I had last week.

My mistake, I don't consider myself a web designer. The text originally said "Web Developer and Data Visualization Designer" and I've been editing it.
I'm trying to convey that I want to continue making interactive data visualizations while/after working in front end web development.

And yes those projects are personal spec work that the companies didn't ask for, not freelance.
Is it better to leave the name blank? I'm worried that leading with "personal projects" will send this right to the garbage (like saying "self-studied" skills).