Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrKatharsis posted:

Are you goons seriously confusing chik-fil-a with fried chicken?
Yes, because no one in the PNW knows what Chik-fil-A is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If I had a lot of disposable income I would seriously try to bring a Steak 'n Shake franchise to Seattle. Plop one down near Dicks in Capitol Hill or Queen Anne and keep it open 24 hours, then bathe in the money that rolls in.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, they're not Popeye's or KFC. They do fried chicken patties and goujons along with the usual chicken salads & wraps and fries, etc.

The draw is that their chicken is unusually good for drive-through. Like, the spicy chicken sandwich I'm all hot and bothered for is just bread, patty and pickles.

mod sassinator posted:

If I had a lot of disposable income I would seriously try to bring a Steak 'n Shake franchise to Seattle. Plop one down near Dicks in Capitol Hill or Queen Anne and keep it open 24 hours, then bathe in the money that rolls in.

You could probably set one up in a truck stop or 24 hour gas station near the border and make one billion dollars over 10 years.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

Same, but In-n-Out in Portland.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Same, but Dick's in Portland.

Fixed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would murder someone for some Texas BBQ even if it was Rudy's level stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've never heard of Dick's apart from the one that's already here, but people will not shut up about In-n-Out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'd kill for some legit doner kebab but the Seattle kebab joint I found has lovely hours and cartoonishly oversized product. Someone invent a smaller kebab for US shores

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Accretionist posted:

I'd kill for some legit doner kebab but the Seattle kebab joint I found has lovely hours and cartoonishly oversized product. Someone invent a smaller kebab for US shores

There used to be one near Pioneer Square, but it was closed the last time I was in town. Probably for the best, they had some odd topping options.

For a long time there was a great döner shop in Portland, but their space was way too big and probably way too expensive. They ended up going out of business too. Getting döner in the states is really difficult and that is a tragedy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Schwack posted:

Getting döner in the states is really difficult and that is a tragedy.

Ditto for proper neopolitan pizza.

FILEPHOTO:

Anyone know where I can find Seattle's best?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 15, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
On the subject of Chik-fil-a: it is one of several fast food chains that I have no idea what they are about. Occasionally I read posts from other parts of the country where people talk about all these different fast food chains and I don't know the connotations of them.

Does every area of the country have some fast food chains that they are missing, or was the Pacific Northwest specifically left out of most companies' expansion plans?

I know that we were the last area of the country to get Wal-Marts, and I didn't see a Wal-Mart until...1996? Or so?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's like that everywhere. Only a handful of franchises really national. I drove here from the NE and there were tons of places I'd drive by a few of and never see again.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

glowing-fish posted:

On the subject of Chik-fil-a: it is one of several fast food chains that I have no idea what they are about. Occasionally I read posts from other parts of the country where people talk about all these different fast food chains and I don't know the connotations of them.

Chik-fil-a is a mostly southern chain. Their owner got famous for donating huge amounts of money to anti-gay groups, so obviously a lot of people, especially up here, have problems with that. In the south, eating chik-fil-a became a symbolic protest against tolerance for a brief but very stupid time.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Chik-fil-a is a mostly southern chain. Their owner got famous for donating huge amounts of money to anti-gay groups, so obviously a lot of people, especially up here, have problems with that. In the south, eating chik-fil-a became a symbolic protest against tolerance for a brief but very stupid time.

Also, they're tasty enough that the liberals will still eat there:

Accretionist posted:

They could be capital-N Nazis and I'd still buy those spicy chickens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

I've never heard of Dick's apart from the one that's already here, but people will not shut up about In-n-Out.

In-n-Out is loving amazing, and one of the best things about going to college in southern California.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chik-fil-a was at Western Washington University for a time. It was before the CEO came out as a homophob but I had a suspicion he was and avoided it. My Republican girlfriend at the time told me to stop doing that and just try one. I did, and added their special sauce. Sadly, the homophobic chicken sandwiches are delicious and I ate many more that year until we got a new food vendor at school and they got replaced.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That reminds me of when I saw an Indian woman buy 15 gallons of milk in a gas station. She asked how much the "homo milk" cost while doing it. I asked the attendant and apparently this is normal.

Presumably, Canadian milk just costs more. But what's with bulk purchasing? Do people gift them to friends? Is US gas station milk cheaper than restaurant suppliers in Canada or something? Is there something I don't know about certain ethnic groups really enjoying milk?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

glowing-fish posted:

Does every area of the country have some fast food chains that they are missing, or was the Pacific Northwest specifically left out of most companies' expansion plans?

I know that we were the last area of the country to get Wal-Marts, and I didn't see a Wal-Mart until...1996? Or so?

A lot of food chains are regional. I'm surprised though, as two chains I associate with "being Southern" (Popeyes and Church's Chicken) both have multiple locations in the Seattle area.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Accretionist posted:

That reminds me of when I saw an Indian woman buy 15 gallons of milk in a gas station. She asked how much the "homo milk" cost while doing it. I asked the attendant and apparently this is normal.

Presumably, Canadian milk just costs more. But what's with bulk purchasing? Do people gift them to friends? Is US gas station milk cheaper than restaurant suppliers in Canada or something? Is there something I don't know about certain ethnic groups really enjoying milk?

Homo is homogeonized. She was probably buying em to make cheese or yoghurt. hth

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Accretionist posted:

Ditto for proper neopolitan pizza.

FILEPHOTO:

Anyone know where I can find Seattle's best?

I would try Tutta Bella first, I can't think of anywhere likely to be better than that for Neopolitan.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

Schwack posted:

There used to be one near Pioneer Square, but it was closed the last time I was in town. Probably for the best, they had some odd topping options.

For a long time there was a great döner shop in Portland, but their space was way too big and probably way too expensive. They ended up going out of business too. Getting döner in the states is really difficult and that is a tragedy.

The Berliner in SLU is pretty good. I think they have one on pioneer square as well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anthonypants posted:

You never listened to hip hop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfOJaoeE3mQ&t=201s

Seconding the Tutta Bella rec, drat good pizza. Seattle has tons of good pizza joints, but they're all a little different so I rotate. One has thicker crust, one is greasier, etc. When I went to UW I had way too much Pizza Ragazzi. Sooo good with beer.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

anthonypants posted:

An In-n-Out would make mad cash in Portland, but only because of the novelty.

I lived in LA for a year, and In-n-Out is pretty good. Definitely better than McDonalds or Burger King. But everything is relative, and the LA area is loaded with awesome mom n pop burger joints. Part of the reason they have a "secret menu" is just to keep up with all the oddball things people expect by being surrounded by thousands of little burger joints that offer all sorts of oddball things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Accretionist posted:

Canadians buying milk in America became an actual issue in Bellingham: http://youtu.be/QyCZTVapOnM

The issues were largely overblown. Parking was a bit annoying, the gas lines were a little long, and you couldn't find milk but otherwise it's a pretty normal Costco shopping experience.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Sounds like Tutta Bella's my best bet, thanks

The-Mole posted:

Homo is homogeonized. She was probably buying em to make cheese or yoghurt. hth

The homo milk was whole milk with a humorously appended pricing tag, and was why the above post reminded me of this. Also, she was buying 2%.

seiferguy posted:

Canadians buying milk in America became an actual issue in Bellingham: http://youtu.be/QyCZTVapOnM

The issues were largely overblown. Parking was a bit annoying, the gas lines were a little long, and you couldn't find milk but otherwise it's a pretty normal Costco shopping experience.

Man, finding the mysteriously large volume of milk purchased by Canadians irksome is a hilariously nothing happens in my city, not usually issue to have.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just want Pizza and Pipes to make a comeback.

mod sassinator posted:

Also, would it kill someone to make a 24 hour restaurant north of Seattle? Everett only has two (A Denny's and a Memo's) and Marysville only has Don's, which is better than Denny's but not by a lot.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

seiferguy posted:

It's funny but you still have to brave the hordes of fuckwit Canadian drivers that will spend 1 hour at the border crossing for the privilege of buying 12 gallons of milk and 8 gallons of gas. I visited there and the experience was something else. I guess it's analogous to (south) Vancouver drivers hopping across the border to shop in Oregon, but the Canadians coming down to Washington aren't wealthy Vancouverites. They must be rural townies that are willing to cross international lines for $30 in savings and the opportunity to get a $1.50 Costco dog. An appropriate mix of :911: and :argh: (especially since they are mostly Asian/Indian). I guess nobody likes a tourist.

e: also a bit like Mexico since Canadians love to come down and have their babies in American hospitals to get that Citizenship. Secure are borders Obama!!

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 15, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is the Pacific Northwest Thread, so...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Could there be many coming in from Vancouver Island, too?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The craziest tourist/shopper thing I've seen from Canadians are chartered buses pulling into the Fry's in Wilsonville, and watching them cramming TVs and laptops into the baggage compartments.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gohuskies posted:

I would try Tutta Bella first, I can't think of anywhere likely to be better than that for Neopolitan.

Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes Tutta Bella is just packed with families and kids, personally I like via tribunalli, especially during happy hour.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Serious Pie is worth going to at least once too. It's not true neopolatin pizza but comes on a great thin crust and has some amazing toppings. The communal seating is a pain in the rear end if it's super busy though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The craziest tourist/shopper thing I've seen from Canadians are chartered buses pulling into the Fry's in Wilsonville, and watching them cramming TVs and laptops into the baggage compartments.

That does sound odd. Speaking of that Fry's, I've often wondered why it seems to be the only one in the state. It seems like Eugene could support one quite readily, but there really isn't anything left down here but Best Buy and the various OfficeDepotMax stores. I buy most of my tech mail-order, anyway, but having a Fry's would be nice as an option.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If I may refer back to Vancouver's infrastructure I may be able to offer some insight into that.

Generally speaking, it sounds like from what I can find that Vancouver did the silliest thing that one can do, which is allow a lot of residential build out without developing what one generally calls "sustainable commercial base". What this means is you end up with strip mall style commercial development with a dozen pizzerias and dentists no big retail anchors and lots of high density single family homes. City governments are lured in by this because in WA there is a huge boon of money from all the build out and fees from the construction initially and allows you to coast on rolling in money from the development, while it lasts.

The problem is this money is one time build outs, once the houses are built they stop being significant builds on income. The way taxes work in WA state is that say if a resident of Vancouver purchased on Amazon (Amazon is my cities #5 source of tax income) then a portion of the sales tax on that goes to the city. This happens for all vendors in town, presuming the city is keeping accurate enough tax records that the state sends them all their due to get.

So you have a city that has a bunch of residents who leave town to literally do business elsewhere, likely has a deliberate habit of not "spending local" to make sure their local government gets pretty much the only regular source of revenue the state guarantees them and now has the twin daggers of the state being unable to fund any transportation infrastructure spending what so ever and their commercial base (either by design or proximity to Portland) being insufficient to support what is probably a much higher rate of decay than average due to being a bustling economic pass through and the recession for a good kick in the shins on top of that.

I may be projecting a bit though because my own city is going through something similar, we just have some land left to develop commercially and may not be entirely screwed, yet.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I am guess their the ones using that Fry's then because most of the time I am there it is pretty empty, it doesn't help it is huge like most Frys. I don't know how long that place has for this world considering it must be pretty high overhead even if you pay the employees barely above minimum (lease and utilities).

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That does sound odd. Speaking of that Fry's, I've often wondered why it seems to be the only one in the state. It seems like Eugene could support one quite readily, but there really isn't anything left down here but Best Buy and the various OfficeDepotMax stores. I buy most of my tech mail-order, anyway, but having a Fry's would be nice as an option.

For the average person, Best Buy has everything they could want from a Fry's. And as you mention, it is so easy to get things through the mail.

The only reason I get anything at Fry's is because of their very liberal return policy. So if it is something that is likely to be dead-on-arrival or not work as expected, or a pain to ship back (like a 42" TV), Fry's is great.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

For the average person, Best Buy has everything they could want from a Fry's. And as you mention, it is so easy to get things through the mail.

The only reason I get anything at Fry's is because of their very liberal return policy. So if it is something that is likely to be dead-on-arrival or not work as expected, or a pain to ship back (like a 42" TV), Fry's is great.

Of course, lot of items are opened box because of that and often are missing items/damaged/non-functional, you can return them but they often just get thrown back into the pile again for the next dude down the line.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

They also charter busses to the outlet stores in Woodburn out of Vancouver. There's a large lot in the back specifically for bus parking. It's a 7 hour drive to shop in crowded stores with lovely merchandise. Not my idea of a fun day, but I guess you gotta avoid taxes as much as possible.

Ardennes posted:

I am guess their the ones using that Fry's then because most of the time I am there it is pretty empty, it doesn't help it is huge like most Frys. I don't know how long that place has for this world considering it must be pretty high overhead even if you pay the employees barely above minimum (lease and utilities).

It was an Incredible Universe before Frys took over. Frys is sedate in comparison.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 15, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Schwack posted:

They also charter busses to the outlet stores in Woodburn out of Vancouver. There's a large lot in the back specifically for bus parking. It's a 7 hour drive to shop in crowded stores with lovely merchandise. Not my idea of a fun day, but I guess you gotta avoid taxes as much as possible.

Well better then than showing up in front of Voodoo Donuts...I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ardennes posted:

lot of items are opened box

I don't know the state of Fry's electronics, but at Best Buy this is almost always just fine.

• Locked thread