Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

YouTuber posted:

Doomdark says two random Duchy together will make a titular kingdom and vice versa for Kingdoms to Empires with the Charlemagne expac.

The Kingdom of Iceland and the Orkneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I hope the titular kingdom stuff gets tied to Legalism/Majesty tech level, so that any idiot controlling more than a bit of land in 769 can call himself a king, but by the time you get to like the 1200s you can't just declare yourself king of Bosnia just because you own Bosnia and the Dalmatian coast. You'd have to control like four duchies by then, and so on. It'd also probably help if forming the De Jure kingdoms/empires gave more prestige for being formed, for being recognized and established already or something.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Frohman posted:

Question for Sam or anyone else involved in "After The End" mod.

My name is Chris Livingston, and I write a weekly mod column for PC Gamer. I'd like to feature the beta of this mod for my column this weekend.

I wouldn't normally ask first, but I wanted to check with someone in this instance since:

a) The dropbox has apparently been overwhelmed by traffic
b) I haven't seen this beta posted elsewhere, like in the Steam workshop, moddb, or the Paradox forums, so I'm not sure if you want the general public playing it yet

I'd have PM'd someone if I saw a way to do that, but I don't. Anyway, please let me know! I've covered a bunch of different full-conversion CKII mods and this one looks really interesting.

Hey, hope you're still checking the thread because you don't have PMs. Sam and I have been talking about your post and while we're waiting to hear back from Ofaloaf (who's having computer issues) we're of the opinion that there's no reason not to give you the go ahead on this. We're working on getting the files on Steam Workshop and another hosting site to ease the traffic a bit, but for now you can download the latest version of the mod directly here! Hope this helps, and good luck with your feature; let us know if you'd like to talk to any of us or we can help with it in any way.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 14, 2014

Frohman
Aug 14, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

Hey, hope you're still checking the thread because you don't have PMs. Sam and I have been talking about your post and while we're waiting to hear back from Ofaloaf (who's having computer issues) we're of the opinion that there's no reason not to give you the go ahead on this. We're working on getting the files on Steam Workshop and another hosting site to ease the traffic a bit, but for now you can download the latest version of the mod directly here! Hope this helps, and good luck with your feature; let us know if you'd like to talk to any of us or we can help with it in any way.

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've played a bit already and I'm going to spend some more time with it tonight and tomorrow.

If you'd like to share any thoughts on what you have planned for the mod's future, and if there's anything currently contained within it that a casual playthrough might not uncover, I'd love to hear about it. I'm on twitter @screencuisine, which might be a better spot to swap email addresses or whatever else, since I can't PM here.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DrSunshine posted:

So I guess we're not gonna get the epic Intrigue & Diplomacy expansion I was hoping for. :( Bummer.

I was hoping for this too.

But realistically, I dont think we really getting any Intrigue/Diplomacy/Character-interaction improvements, not until CK3.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Frohman posted:

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've played a bit already and I'm going to spend some more time with it tonight and tomorrow.

If you'd like to share any thoughts on what you have planned for the mod's future, and if there's anything currently contained within it that a casual playthrough might not uncover, I'd love to hear about it. I'm on twitter @screencuisine, which might be a better spot to swap email addresses or whatever else, since I can't PM here.

Just sent you a tweet with my email, look forwards to talking to you. Watch this space because I'm going to edit in a link once I've got the mod up on MediaFire.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't get how people are so upset about the whole two duchy kingdom thing. There's at least 24 de-jure kingdoms already that you can form with only two duchies, without counting any in India. This really isn't a big deal.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Odobenidae posted:

I don't get how people are so upset about the whole two duchy kingdom thing. There's at least 24 de-jure kingdoms already that you can form with only two duchies, without counting any in India. This really isn't a big deal.

I think it's more we got our expectations up for various ideas and instead got something else. We'll all still buy the DLC, it's just not what we really all had in mind.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Man, I am so down with having this thing in a PC Gamer column. Now it hurts even more that my fit-for-gaming machine's dead, but I mean, hell yeah having publicity is great.

Mr. Livingston, if you click the '?' on the lefthand side below my name, my posting history for this thread will pop up. There's posts regarding this mod (and another mod I've since slacked off on) going back to last year, with a little bit on the trials and tribulations and (lack of a) thought process for the early work done on it all.

Frohman
Aug 14, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Man, I am so down with having this thing in a PC Gamer column. Now it hurts even more that my fit-for-gaming machine's dead, but I mean, hell yeah having publicity is great.

Mr. Livingston, if you click the '?' on the lefthand side below my name, my posting history for this thread will pop up. There's posts regarding this mod (and another mod I've since slacked off on) going back to last year, with a little bit on the trials and tribulations and (lack of a) thought process for the early work done on it all.

Thanks! I might use a couple of the screenshots from your mod that you posted, if that's okay.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Frohman posted:

Thanks! I might use a couple of the screenshots from your mod that you posted, if that's okay.
Go ahead! I'll be looking forward to how this all works out. :)

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Frohman posted:

You can also look at my posts and my Steam page for screenshots.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How do I upload my mod to the CK2 Steam workshop? I took a look at it and I just can't seem to find an "Upload mod now" button or anything.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
TBH I'm pretty excited for this. I'm always down for earlier start dates, I've been satisfied with every expansion so far and I'm sure it will have all sorts of additional things. I read on the Paradox forums that customizable kingdoms means you can form your own unique kingdom if you have 2 duchies, which is cool. I know there's a mod that already does that, but Paradox does everything better than modders. What I'm afraid of is that the whole story aspect with Charlemagne will be too railroaded and the same thing will end up happening every game, mostly that he conquers all of Central Europe. Story-driven = event troops

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm sure there are a lot of new features we'll be finding out about in dev diaries to come, but the earlier start date is enough to sell me on this thing. The closer CK2 gets to my beloved Late Antiquity, the better.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
After the End 0.1.1

This is the same as the previous version plus the patch.

Also, we have a thread on the Paradox forums now.

Sam. fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 15, 2014

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
I think I may have broken my iron man game as Amalfi. I died in battle during an independence revolt which we lost, the next Doge of Amalfi got the title revoked. I survived briefly as solo patrician family, which I'm sure shouldn't be possible, and shortly afterwards I created the republic of lukania. I now can't declare war against anyone because my character is "in revolt". I'm hoping this goes away when my current guy dies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rincewind posted:

I'm sure there are a lot of new features we'll be finding out about in dev diaries to come, but the earlier start date is enough to sell me on this thing. The closer CK2 gets to my beloved Late Antiquity, the better.

But there are so many blobs. Its like the 867 start, but somehow worse.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Paradox is an asymptote, always getting closer to Rome II but never fully reaching it.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Glokta posted:

I think I may have broken my iron man game as Amalfi. I died in battle during an independence revolt which we lost, the next Doge of Amalfi got the title revoked. I survived briefly as solo patrician family, which I'm sure shouldn't be possible, and shortly afterwards I created the republic of lukania. I now can't declare war against anyone because my character is "in revolt". I'm hoping this goes away when my current guy dies.

I actually have the same problem in my England game. My successor successfully beat down a Crown Authority revolt, but now can't declare war on Scotland or France because of the "In Revolt" condition.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

CharlestheHammer posted:

But there are so many blobs. Its like the 867 start, but somehow worse.

Unlike, say, an EUIV start with lots of blobs, even the mightiest CK2 blob is a few successful rebellions away from exploding forever.

(Or getting swept away by the Seljuks/Mongols/Aztecs/etc.)

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So I was playing a count in Siena, and a fellow vassal decided to rise up and try to usurp the duke above me. Since the duke was my brother, I raise my own levies to help my brother win the war, and I ended up winning one of the battles and occupying Siena.

And then this happened.

Can someone please tell me what the gently caress just happened here? I definitely was not part of the faction to rise up against the duke, and my brother is still clearly the duke so he didn't lose the rebellion. There's no reason listed for why I was imprisoned, so I have no idea what went wrong.

Edit: That a motherfucking son of a bitch

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2014

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I actually have the same problem in my England game. My successor successfully beat down a Crown Authority revolt, but now can't declare war on Scotland or France because of the "In Revolt" condition.

Mine went away when the character died, hope yours does the same. Worked out for the best for me, I'm top dog in my new republic.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
I am so pissed at this game right now.

I started as Haestein of Nantes, claiming Brittany and Normandy and then becoming Norman and Catholic. Then in the 12th century I conquered England to become English and now I'm working on forming the British Empire.

I thought I had it in the bag, using strategic marriages (and assassinations) to set it up that my character was the heir to Scotland. He was underage, but I got lucky and my regent was unlanded and adored me. Unfortunately, my regent was replaced with an ambitious Irish duke. In the last year of my regency, my regent starts trying to kill me. I survive a couple attempts, but he eventually succeeds. No siblings, so an uncle with no claim on Scotland inherits. Plus it's the 1380's, so I don't have too much time left.

This is by far my favorite CKII campaign that I have ever played :thumbsup:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Glokta posted:

Mine went away when the character died, hope yours does the same. Worked out for the best for me, I'm top dog in my new republic.

Saving and reloading seems to have cleared it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Unlike, say, an EUIV start with lots of blobs, even the mightiest CK2 blob is a few successful rebellions away from exploding forever.

I've heard that blobs like the 867 Abassids or the 1066 Byzantines are designed to implode by having garbage rulers, but I don't think I've ever seen this happen. I guess the 1081 Fatmids get screwed pretty hard by their useless Caliph at the start, but thats just because he starts with 80% decadence and -400 ducats.

I've seen some pretty massive independence revolts, but they always end up white peacing out for some idiot reason.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

I've heard that blobs like the 867 Abassids or the 1066 Byzantines are designed to implode by having garbage rulers, but I don't think I've ever seen this happen. I guess the 1081 Fatmids get screwed pretty hard by their useless Caliph at the start, but thats just because he starts with 80% decadence and -400 ducats.

I've seen some pretty massive independence revolts, but they always end up white peacing out for some idiot reason.

Well it's ultimately random. A giant blob might survive, or it might not. If a player gets involved in a bit of intrigue through some well-placed assasinations and joining the right wars, even the biggest blob can be brought to its knees. But the key here is that even if a player or an AI can hold half of Europe, he still has to contend with all those vassals holding territory for him, and that's where the game is. CK2 isn't about having the biggest of liege levies, it's about keeping those vassals from revolting and buggering your medieval rear end with a hot poker.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I think paradox really needs to start coming up with new mechanics if they keep moving back in time. This period is right in the middle of the age of migrations (even the 867 start is in that period) and the idea of states was so fluid that there really shouldn't be a well developed feudal system at this point.

There's already poo poo implemented like "english culture" and E. Francia - Germany, so I really hope that they come up with mechanics which better reflect the period.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Charlemagne bookmark.

Somebody compared it to the XCOM story DLC, but this really isn't comparable, because there's real historic figures involved in the core game. You can't say "nobody gives a poo poo about the premade characters" when I can say "Actually, playing as William the Conqueror, Ivar the Boneless, and Genghis loving Khan is pretty drat awesome". The problem is that we're thinking of 769 as a timeline expansion, when it's probably better to think of it as a scenario. Remember those? Civ games used to have some really cool ones.

So the idea of 769 isn't really so much "let's create a holistic expansion of the game world", it's "you are Charlemange. Go conquer Europe."

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rincewind posted:

(Or getting swept away by the Seljuks/Mongols/Aztecs/etc.)

The problem is that those "successful rebellions" really are few and far between. Way too many times, the rebellion simply swaps out the dude at the top, most people end up being fairly OK with him, and the blob just persists.

Once a HRE or the like gets up in the realms of High or Absolute CA, it almost aways seems to stick unless a player intentionally jumps in and murders the gently caress out of their CA. I'm currently watching an observer game from Old Gods on, and in 989, we've already got Hispania formed with a stable realm (hasn't lost land in a century), Italy with an iron grip over everything that isn't Byzantine, a blobbed the gently caress out Hungary (because of course Hungary blobbed out) that has yet to take a hit, a guy that just united the crowns of Sweden, Lithuania, Finland and Rus, and Tartaria. The only unstable realms are minors compared to the big dogs - un-united England, crippled East Francia, and a Lotharingia-Frisia-Burgundy clusterfuck that keeps uniting and exploding again - but none of those are really major players.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I still want a Theocracy DLC damnit. =(

I mean, one that allowed you to play Prince-Bisophrics, as well as landed Holy Orders/Mercenaries would be cool, though the dynastic system would have to be reworked like hell. It would be a different game than normal, that's for sure.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DStecks posted:

Somebody compared it to the XCOM story DLC, but this really isn't comparable, because there's real historic figures involved in the core game. You can't say "nobody gives a poo poo about the premade characters" when I can say "Actually, playing as William the Conqueror, Ivar the Boneless, and Genghis loving Khan is pretty drat awesome". The problem is that we're thinking of 769 as a timeline expansion, when it's probably better to think of it as a scenario. Remember those? Civ games used to have some really cool ones.
The most fun I had with historical figures was with William the Conqueror in a multiplayer game- my friends and I were dukes in the HRE. I was Bohemia and I was having fun marrying into all sorts of interesting houses. A daughter in Byzantium, and a son married to William the Conqueror's daughter, with no real idea where this would lead.

Well, it turns out, William got deposed somehow. There must have been a successful revolt. And... he fled to an allied court: mine.

So, my marshal was William the loving Conqueror, now an old man. It was pretty god drat sweet, as he's got a crazy military skill. My friend in Brandenburg was trying to conquer his pagan neighbors, so I lent an army lead by good old William to help do what he does best: Conquer. Laughs were had by all.

But then the amazing thing happened. The Emperor decided to press William's claim on England. So, William, with an unspeakably massive German army, conquered England once again making himself its king, but this time swearing vassalage to the HRE.

We haven't been able to play the game much more since then, but I absolutely loved that my random decision to marry William's daughter had such incredibly far-reaching consequences. I'll miss that magnificent bastard leading my armies though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, to be honest, half the appeal of CK2 is seeing the ahistorical fates of historical characters play out. Then murdering their descendants in order to usurp a realm or two.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

DStecks posted:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Charlemagne bookmark.

So the idea of 769 isn't really so much "let's create a holistic expansion of the game world", it's "you are Charlemange. Go conquer Europe."

Yeah, I think it could be a lot of fun, but... just like the Civ scenarios, you play through a scenario a few times, see all the narrative branches and what have you and you're pretty much done. Meanwhile, a lot of people really do like the sandbox gameplay and after having spent so many hours with the game already (like, I literally don't have to read a single event or response text, because I know them all instantly by sight), I think a lot of people are looking for expansions that, let's neologistically say, encromulates that sandbox gameplay, be it with new events, new mechanics, Rome II, or whatever.

I'm still mad about that t-shirt.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite CK1 memories was playing as Sicily and having the last of the Hohenzollerns flee to my court. I took pity on them and made the old man the Count of Malta to keep the dynasty in play. They somehow inherited the Duchy of Nicaea in Anatolia and, with my help, ended up on the Byzantine throne.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
So I was talking to a friend about the latest news and he's interested in getting Crusader Kings now. I can't remember, but is there often a package deal where you can buy a bunch of DLC and the base game for cheap? This was pre-old gods, but I got most of the DLC off amazon once. It could have just been a holiday thing. Or am I misremembering that it goes on sale often when there's a new expansion due out?

Slightly related, he noticed the African Portraits DLC. "Black people are DLC" - Crusader kings!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

In my 867 Byzantium--->Roman Empire game the Abbasids got thrown out of power within about 20 years of game start and the realm exploded hilariously which made them easy pickings until these Ali guys started reassembling parts of the arabian empire.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Leb posted:

Yeah, I think it could be a lot of fun, but... just like the Civ scenarios, you play through a scenario a few times, see all the narrative branches and what have you and you're pretty much done. Meanwhile, a lot of people really do like the sandbox gameplay and after having spent so many hours with the game already (like, I literally don't have to read a single event or response text, because I know them all instantly by sight), I think a lot of people are looking for expansions that, let's neologistically say, encromulates that sandbox gameplay, be it with new events, new mechanics, Rome II, or whatever.

That's really not a legitimate argument, since ultimately a CKII bookmark isn't really a scenario like Civ has, since it is not self-contained unto itself. You talk about people quickly exhausting the narrative possibilities, and I'm not quite sure how that's possible since we're talking about 700 years of gameplay following the setup, and if kingdoms are becoming dynamic as we're beginning to hear, the Charlemagne start might actually be much richer narratively than any of the bookmarks to date.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Just because the narrative scenario exists doesn't mean all the sandbox gameplay won't, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there some reason I can't move the CK2 launcher? I'm using a new laptop and the game is installed through Steam, when the game launches, the CK2 launcher is in like the bottom right of the screen preventing me from clicking on the play button. I can't move the window to click it by dragging it around or by right clicking on the icon in the taskbar.

First time using Windows 8.1 so maybe I'm missing something?

Edit: apparently the solution is changing my resolution to a lower one so I can actually click on the play button :wtc:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread