Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Curious. I'll be doing my A school in Pensacola. Are their short time (6 month) car rentals like that charge something reasonable? I'd expect no due to it being a navy town but I'm curious.

If you don't own a car, just buy one whenever you get your partial restoration of basic human rights card from the barracks. Find a reputable dealership in Not Pensacola and get a ride there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

DownByTheWooter posted:

I don't know what TRS is, but they made me sign up for T-GPS here. I just still call it "TAP" because that's what everyone says conversationally. The command, collectively, has taken two full weeks to date to process my T-GPS request ... and I still haven't gotten it back. In the interim, the two sets of class dates I put on the chit filled up, naturally. The ones I'm hoping for right now will run the week where my terminal starts on a Friday, so it's such a good scenario that I refuse to believe it will actually happen. In any case, adjusting fire on that terminal leave request will come after this, since my LCPO already told me that my terminal leave request has to be routed on a navcompt 3065, and then I will have to follow that up by putting it in to E-leave after the captain approves it? Not sure why they felt the need to add a process on top of a process, but with the end so close in sight, I don't ask why anymore, I just jump through the god drat hoops.

Not saying it's totally your fault, but you should have gone to T-GPS a year ago. You've been planning to separate for a long time, right?

A lot of commands do that with e-Leave, because they want the CO to approve terminal leave requests, but the CO is often not your approver in e-Leave. Rather than change the routing chain in e-Leave for every Sailor submitting a terminal leave chit, they just have you route a paper chit first. Then you have to submit e-Leave so the leave can actually be charged to your balance.

I recommend that you get permission from your command to attend T-GPS as a stand-by. Granted I'm in Hampton Roads, but every single Sailor I've sent as a stand-by has gotten a seat.

The online course is only supposed to be used by Sailors that cannot attend T-GPS due to geographical restrictions.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Curious. I'll be doing my A school in Pensacola. Are their short time (6 month) car rentals like that charge something reasonable? I'd expect no due to it being a navy town but I'm curious.

What are you signed up for again? I'm in Pcola for like 5 more months and its my third time here. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Now what exactly happens if I go to MEPS, and what I want isn't open, and I choose something similar like IT, with the intent to switch to CTN as long as it opens up before I head to basic and CTN doesn't open? If I don't go, is that it for the military for me? Sorry for asking so many questions recently, but I'm just trying to weigh all of my options, however I do think I'll just say no thanks should CTN not be available at MEPS next month.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think if you have a set DEP date and you don't go (you don't have to, mind you) you're barred from joining that branch anymore.

You can switch in DEP after you already choose a rate but it's highly unlikely and nothing you should count on. If you go to DEP and don't pick your rate because it's not open the recruiter will probably be pissed but I can only assume they'll take you down at another date. But whether they want to hassle with it or not is on them. They'll tell you before you go "just pick a rate, anything! You can change it later." And like I said possible but highly unlikely. In boot camp? Hahah.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

MancXVI posted:

If you don't own a car, just buy one whenever you get your partial restoration of basic human rights card from the barracks. Find a reputable dealership in Not Pensacola and get a ride there.

IT school is pretty short, and they don't even get car privileged for the first month or so. During the week the a school keeps them busy enough it's almost not needed.

I'd fall between buy one or wait until duty station. Personal choice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just buy one honestly. Dealership AT LEAST 80+ miles away from base or craigslist. Unless you plan on going overseas.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm a reservist living in CA. Buying doesn't seem smart. But living without a car for six months seems kinda bad.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're going to pay you to move back to California anyways so you get a free road trip!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

gently caress these recruiters. I called them up now because i want to go to meps sept 1. They knew this before, and that's why i drove 80 miles Monday to talk to them. I brought everything with me on Monday because i can't just drive to see them every day. In Monday they didn't take my paperwork when i said i was only interested in CTN, they only took the questionnaire for the sf86. They didn't take my birth cert, ss card, drivers license or any of that. So when i just called them they said they would work on getting my stuff together to go to meps on the 1st, but they seemed very lackadaisical about it, and i know for a fact they are missing info they need. These guys are pissing me off, but i don't have any other options really.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Double post

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well gently caress never heard of that. That kinda changes things completely. Figured they just push you on a jet an send you on on your merry way.

Gonna buy a RV and take the long way back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well not 100% sure on reserve poo poo. But yeah the Military pays for you to PCS (change commands) and when you EAS. My a school you couldn't own a car so they just bought everyone a ticket and sent you on your way. Again not sure about reservist but I assume they'd pay you to PCS and you almost always make money on it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Zotix posted:

gently caress these recruiters. I called them up now because i want to go to meps sept 1. They knew this before, and that's why i drove 80 miles Monday to talk to them. I brought everything with me on Monday because i can't just drive to see them every day. In Monday they didn't take my paperwork when i said i was only interested in CTN, they only took the questionnaire for the sf86. They didn't take my birth cert, ss card, drivers license or any of that. So when i just called them they said they would work on getting my stuff together to go to meps on the 1st, but they seemed very lackadaisical about it, and i know for a fact they are missing info they need. These guys are pissing me off, but i don't have any other options really.

At least your experience with the navy thus far is exactly what the rest of your career will be like!

Don't pick a rate at meps thinking you'll be able to repick at some other date.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zotix posted:

Is there no other recruitment stations near you? 80 miles to see recruiter seems kind of weird.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

New Mexico, everything is centralized in Albuquerque.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't pick a rate at meps thinking you'll be able to repick at some other date.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

DustyNuts posted:

Not saying it's totally your fault, but you should have gone to T-GPS a year ago. You've been planning to separate for a long time, right?

A lot of commands do that with e-Leave, because they want the CO to approve terminal leave requests, but the CO is often not your approver in e-Leave. Rather than change the routing chain in e-Leave for every Sailor submitting a terminal leave chit, they just have you route a paper chit first. Then you have to submit e-Leave so the leave can actually be charged to your balance.

I recommend that you get permission from your command to attend T-GPS as a stand-by. Granted I'm in Hampton Roads, but every single Sailor I've sent as a stand-by has gotten a seat.

The online course is only supposed to be used by Sailors that cannot attend T-GPS due to geographical restrictions.

Actually, I would agree with you regarding when I should have asked for the TGPS, but I actually ran the chit while I was still waiting for findings from my medboard, as soon as they let me know my case had gone to the VA for rating (which implied that I was found unfit and would be getting walking papers). The whole thing got resolved in right under a month, VA and all, when I had been hearing on the street it was a 6-month process. Unfortunately, the CCC only does Pre-Sep counselings every other week, and then I routed my TGPS request 17 days ago, still haven't gotten dates, once I get those I have to route a TAD request, etc etc. and it's turning out to be about a 2 loving month process to get into TGPS.

Incidentally, I still haven't received my retirement/separation orders, I have no idea how long it's supposed to take, but I'm starting to get into a really bad time crunch with regards to days til EAOS vs Days of leave by EAOS (77 to 61). The obvious answer is to just start burning it if I'd rather not be at work, which I'm trying to, but my DH has been sitting on all my leave chits I put in for over a week now. I am clearly an administrative burden to my command. I don't want to sell any days at all because gently caress my job, but it looks like that choice is being made for me.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

ManMythLegend posted:

Believe it or not, most undesignated I've known struck CS of all loving rates. Like it was in the double digits on my last ship. Talking to other folks in my class now, they had similar experiences too. I guess a whole bunch of dudes wanna be Cuba Gooding in Pearl Harbor.

Sometimes it works out. Just gotta stay out of trouble and be persistent about what you want. Did my year in Deck and now I'm finishing up IS A school and looking forward to finishing out my contract in sunny San Diego. On shore duty. :cool:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Constantine XI posted:

Sometimes it works out. Just gotta stay out of trouble and be persistent about what you want. Did my year in Deck and now I'm finishing up IS A school and looking forward to finishing out my contract in sunny San Diego. On shore duty. :cool:

You over at NMITC? Every so often I drive over to Dam Neck and I always get a bit of a chuckle at the marching around in formation poo poo, especially here in this lovely Virginia humidity.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Big 4, but I always work nights (have weekends off at least). I'm always game for sushi though.

Shot you a PM there SHIPMATE

Anyone ever know anyone that's been at NEIC? That's a billet that opened up but I'm on the fence about it. I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of billy badass E4s

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

What class are you man? I'm also in IS A school

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Boon posted:

You over at NMITC? Every so often I drive over to Dam Neck and I always get a bit of a chuckle at the marching around in formation poo poo, especially here in this lovely Virginia humidity.

Yeah the marching is pretty gay. The fact that I can get in my car and drive home to Norfolk after class more than makes up for it though. :)

@Pepsi-Tan: I'm almost afraid to say but 190. Our class is basically the island of misfit toys.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

You are nuts, midrats was stale bread and peanut butter half the time.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
We got rid of midrats when we went to 8 hour watches.

Wish we'd gotten rid of breakfast instead.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I just went to safeway to buy limes and nacho ingredients. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat boat food.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Real French toast with real eggs is pretty good, though. Key point, use up to one egg per slice, none of this pantywaist 3-4 eggs for the whole loaf poo poo

Our cooks would be genuinely pissed when we ate enough of the dinner that they had to put something other than leftovers out for midrats. Often they'd just leave the evening meal sitting out until breakfast and call it good.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

I just went to safeway to buy limes and nacho ingredients. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat boat food.

Free.

well sorta free. more like already paid for.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sir Lucius posted:

Because you're at loving sea????

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

What ship has midrats in port?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Because you're at loving sea????

Not if you are making eggs and french toast!

Also what is the sea?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Not if you are making eggs and french toast!

Also what is the sea?

I believe it's a new AMOD tool with no documentation

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If Laranzu comes here we can start the fort meade shore duty drinking club. Also I have to go to work tomorrow night so I'm just going to get as drunk as I possibly can tonight.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

If Laranzu comes here we can start the fort meade shore duty drinking club. Also I have to go to work tomorrow night so I'm just going to get as drunk as I possibly can tonight.

I'm already fist deep into a bottle of wine and a handle of gin. You know any more goons at work? We should start some jabber nonsense up

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sir Lucius posted:

I didn't say it was great cuisine, but a sandwich made out of a sausage patty, omelette, bacon, and two french toasts was my favorite part of the ship. And it's even more delicious after a few beers. And scotch. And more beer.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I'm already fist deep into a bottle of wine and a handle of gin. You know any more goons at work? We should start some jabber nonsense up

Surprisingly no. Mots was actually up here for TAD earlier in the year, and there is definitely goons who work offsite, but I don't think they post here that much.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't say it was great cuisine, but a sandwich made out of a sausage patty, omelette, bacon, and two french toasts was my favorite part of the ship. And it's even more delicious after a few beers. And scotch. And more beer.

That's fair, I wasn't trying to give you poo poo, I was just wondering if you had Stockholm syndrome or something. I can't imagine food on a ship being much better than the food they served in pensacola, which is why it seemed like a strange thing to reminiscence about.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 16, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Surprisingly no. Mots was actually up here for TAD earlier in the year, and there is definitely goons who work offsite, but I don't think they post here that much.

That's fair, I wasn't trying to give you poo poo, I was just wondering if you had Stockholm syndrome or something. I can't imagine food on a ship being much better than the food they served in pensacola, which is why it seemed like a strange thing to reminiscence about.

How long you on days? Just went to your CFL office and scheduled a PRT

>mfw slept with the CTI1 there two years ago

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm never on days. I work nights all the time so I don't have to deal with Navy bullshit during the day. I haven't had urinalysis in 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm never on days. I work nights all the time so I don't have to deal with Navy bullshit during the day. I haven't had urinalysis in 2 years.

Until you're on days*

Swings is where it's at man. Sleep in every day, drink every night.

• Locked thread