Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I posted a thread once, it was about disco. :birddrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656583 :shrug:

I thought about adding more sections trying to solicit more international participation and making a new bit about how at the very least you could sign up with your local government to be able to help prevent your town from becoming a hole in the ground in the event of an emergency but I don't think I ever saw a thread in D&D in the past 10 years that just got -no- response.

The thought crossed my mind that goons just don't want to talk about things they could actually affect change in but I decided maybe my thread was just bad anyway.
there's not much up for discussion and as you said, it's not very interesting for non-Americans. i dunno, i just missed it

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Majorian posted:

I'm in Santa Barbara now, but I am from Napa. There are definitely some terrible people that live there. Do your relatives work in the wine biz?

I've been in SB a bunch of times, same type of awful people, just slightly less rich.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

I've been in SB a bunch of times, same type of awful people, just slightly less rich.

Eh, try talking to the less-rich people. They do exist here, and they're pretty cool.

That said, I don't think I'd characterize Santa Barbara as less-rich than Napa.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Oh gently caress someone started a circumcision thread.

Lowtax will eat well tonight. *charges credit card*

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Majorian posted:

Eh, try talking to the less-rich people. They do exist here, and they're pretty cool.

That said, I don't think I'd characterize Santa Barbara as less-rich than Napa.

Yeah the less rich are the the people I visit but poo poo's expensive as hell.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah the less rich are the the people I visit but poo poo's expensive as hell.

Yeah, no kidding. I live out in Goleta, which is certainly a less-fashionable suburb of town, but life's a lot more affordable there. Also has a good gym right next to my apartment complex, so yay.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

R. Mute posted:

a friend of mine recently started working at an app start-up and even through all her relentless optimism and denial, it sounds pretty horrible. it was a two-man deal when she came on, with one guy being The Money and one guy being Actually Useful and it's all falling apart already. the Money keeps making promises to customers they can't keep, skips meetings at random, doesn't actually know the value of money and fucks everything up. like how they're getting a visit from a process server this week because they ended their contract with a particular company a year ago... but they forgot to actually tell that company and now they own like a lot of money. or how they forgot to extend their application for subsidies and now have to pretend like the application got lost in the mail or go bankrupt. now they're even borrowing money from another start-up those two guys are involved with, just to stay afloat.

they'll probably be bankrupt in less than a year (their app is kinda rubbish anyway) and my friend will have learned a lot about "making do" and "committing borderline-fraud" - or as it's called on your cv "creative problem solving"

Every one of these stories makes me go 'oh thank god my startup isn't that hosed up, relatively speaking.' Then I go 'god I wish I had one of those money guys.' Then I go 'maybe I don't.'

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

still unable to have a feminist thread without massive trolling so it's kinda fitting

what is "the internet"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Warcabbit posted:

Every one of these stories makes me go 'oh thank god my startup isn't that hosed up, relatively speaking.' Then I go 'god I wish I had one of those money guys.' Then I go 'maybe I don't.'

From my interactions with startups you want a money man who is the right amount of uninvovled and yet engaged enough to keep funneling you their parent's cash.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, no kidding. I live out in Goleta, which is certainly a less-fashionable suburb of town, but life's a lot more affordable there. Also has a good gym right next to my apartment complex, so yay.

all I really know Goleta for is "place where I mailed my UCEAP application to"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nutranurse posted:

From my interactions with startups you want a money man who is the right amount of uninvovled and yet engaged enough to keep funneling you their parent's cash.
preferably one that isn't actually your friend

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

zoux posted:

I am no longer answering any bioethics questions or offering bioethics advice. Circumcision is one of the third rail topics of bioethics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's waaaaaay not a big deal either way.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

all I really know Goleta for is "place where I mailed my UCEAP application to"

My nonprofit works out of the same building as their office, actually.:)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

R. Mute posted:

preferably one that isn't actually your friend

I've seen more than a few friendships ruined by bad startups. Always at a distance, though, because being in marketing means I can be mercenary as gently caress and bounce from project to project.

It's heartbreaking, though, to watch a group of people who've been friends for years, some of them from middle/highschool, learn to hate each other because of bad applications of money.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

Lowtax will eat well tonight. *charges credit card*

Man I wish title purchases could be tracked by which post inspired the big red titles. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out D&D is the biggest money maker outside of ads.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

There are 911 users browsing D&D right now :911:

Anyone tell me why the MOnsanto thread is brown rated?

There's one guy that pops in every few weeks to complain about random aspects of industrial agriculture, conflates those issues with GMOs, then does this routine where he either rolls with the punches or just jumps to another issue also unrelated to GMOs.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I've seen more than a few friendships ruined by bad startups. Always at a distance, though, because being in marketing means I can be mercenary as gently caress and bounce from project to project.

It's heartbreaking, though, to watch a group of people who've been friends for years, some of them from middle/highschool, learn to hate each other because of bad applications of money.
the worst part is that most often, things get hosed up by sheer incompetence. i mean, yeah, starting a business is always hard and there's always a large risk of failure, but it's like half of the time they fail because someone forgot to pay the bills or didn't know you had to pay taxes. i guess maybe that's the start-up mentality? do everything yourself, don't ask for help because it costs money, rah rah rah

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

the worst part is that most often, things get hosed up by sheer incompetence. i mean, yeah, starting a business is always hard and there's always a large risk of failure, but it's like half of the time they fail because someone forgot to pay the bills or didn't know you had to pay taxes. i guess maybe that's the start-up mentality? do everything yourself, don't ask for help because it costs money, rah rah rah

sounds like my current boss. he refuses to hire professionals for anything, instead carrying the attitude that as a software company we should be able to organically solve any IT problem even though none of us know anything useful about networking, for example, or IP telephony. actual conversation I had with him today:

"thug drink, customer isn't happy. they said you weren't able to clear that priority ticket last night?"

"i didn't have time. i was sorting out the phone situation"

"why were you doing that instead of fixing bugs?"

"because you told me that the phones were priority over everything else"

"well i didn't mean bug fixes, those are more important. (he was leaving me calls at 9pm, telling me to get the phones working) can't you assign junior engineer to do the phones?"

"i don't have the authority to delegate any task to him. i'm not his boss"

"well, who do we have that can fix this?"

on monday i gave him a quote from a dude who would come in and fix the phones in a couple hours for $300. instead i was delegated, and the time i've burnt on this is easily higher than $300 at this point

i actually enjoy working here because of how utterly chaotic and dysfunctional it is, plus they don't notice when i spend hours at a time dicking around on the internet. but drat

also janet has been assigned to deal with the phones for the last few months. janet is a middle aged black woman who, though highly capable in her role as sales administrator, is open about the fact that she knows extremely little about computer driving or janitoring. the CEO (who everyone calls Our Fearless Leader behind his back) prettly clearly implied that she did not have the mental capacity for the task, rather than simply not having the appropriate skills for a task she should not have been assigned. as she was griping to me about how Dear Leader clearly has no faith in her skill to do a job that isn't hers to begin with, she asked "it's because I have boobs, right?" i had to bite my tongue. porque no los dos. the CEO has a really bad habit of hiring capable women and then assigning them demeaning, menial work - janet's sales admin office will be the front desk :rolleyes:

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 14, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, we're doing it the kickstarter + no salaries way. No money man at all. WHEEEEEEE! It's like I crammed a hundred people into a garage.

Still, except for the one guy who hates everything, we're getting along pretty well, almost two years into the project.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It can't be any worse than working for a family owned company that has one family member (who started the thing) that is competent and the rest are utter dead weight but are in management positions because they're family

I have no loving clue how the company I work for turns a profit sometimes, oh wait yes I do, it's underpaying all the non salary employees by 25-50% and having friends from college be VPs at the company we sell all our poo poo to

It's OK though my resume is getting packed with experience in everything from IT to inspection and everything else except actually running a machine. If my back wasn't hosed I'd probably know how to do that too

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nate Silver wants you to know he feels your pain, Ferguson.

Nate Silver posted:

6. After about an hour in jail, I'm like "sorry guys, was just stressed out and having a rough day … my bad!"

http://gawker.com/nate-silver-inspired-by-events-in-ferguson-tells-idio-1621363315

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, the circumcision thread was a laugh for a while, now people are taking it seriously

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

well, the circumcision thread was a laugh for a while, now people are taking it seriously

well the whole thing would be worse off if you took away the first bit

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

well the whole thing would be worse off if you took away the first bit

I don't know, man - I think it looks better without the unnecessary, smegma-filled first bit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

R. Mute posted:

there's not much up for discussion and as you said, it's not very interesting for non-Americans. i dunno, i just missed it

Honest question, do you think that's because I don't know anything at all about how any foreign governments work, the nature of other government structures in other countries, their generally effectiveness or all of the above?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Majorian posted:

I don't know, man - I think it looks better without the unnecessary, smegma-filled first bit.

It's no skin off my dick either way-oh wait.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
There's an effortpost in me somewhere about why the circumcision debate is and why it's so intractable, but, again, it's a third rail of bioethics topic- it's best from a professional standpoint to just not get involved, because the debate is so heated and useless that getting involved does you no good.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dreylad posted:

I found Silicon Valley to be disturbingly accurate.
That show is deadly hilarious. I've got some friends from another country going through their first VC-funded startup out there and I use it to ridicule them all the time. Back almost twenty years ago I did a couple of long stays in the area to decide if I wanted to pursue my online marketing career there since it was sort of the epicenter. I had friends and family in the industry locally that showed me around as well. The thing that struck me even then was, "Holy gently caress, this place is overwhelmingly MBA types and engineering grads in short sleeve button downs with badges hanging around their necks." And while I still enjoy visits every few years and always have fun and find something interesting to do, the lack of character of the area itself is staggering. I probably would've made more money if I'd made the move, but I'd probably be secretly ashamed of my collection of Prada hand cremes right now or something.

zoux posted:

Dating back ten years, circumcision threads are among the most contentious in D&D. Ladies Night threads are another classic guaranteed to bring out a bunch of angry nerds. When I saw that thread go up, I came close to starting a trolling ladies night thread just to see if I could get it going.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's not just here- Metafilter basically deletes circumcision posts on sight because it's that or a thousand posts of screaming on a site that doesn't really like the screaming.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I do think it's funny that sometimes you get people who demand that no one get circumcised ever, no matter their age. Apparently unaware of the various dick problems that can be fixed by partial or full circumcision or just not caring about those problems.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

Is there any point in me reading further than this post?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think it would help clarify the debate here if we could see images to compare. After careful viewing of google image results, I think I've found the best comparison set.

be advised this is :nws:!

Circumcised dick: http://i.imgur.com/xGpnUtg.jpg
Uncircumcised dick: http://i.imgur.com/vlWKnjC.jpg

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

finally a circumcision thread in d&d

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Honest question, do you think that's because I don't know anything at all about how any foreign governments work, the nature of other government structures in other countries, their generally effectiveness or all of the above?
nah, i'm sure that's not a problem - i just thought you decided on an american-centric focus for the thread. which is not a criticism, especially considering the, well, localised nature of local government. that said, it'd be surprising if you had knowledge of every single country's government structures - though I guess there'd be parallels and general trends.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

The thing that struck me even then was, "Holy gently caress, this place is overwhelmingly MBA types and engineering grads in short sleeve button downs with badges hanging around their necks." And while I still enjoy visits every few years and always have fun and find something interesting to do, the lack of character of the area itself is staggering. I probably would've made more money if I'd made the move, but I'd probably be secretly ashamed of my collection of Prada hand cremes right now or something.

I've come to realize that Mike Judge is a pretty funny dude, and anything of his that I don't find funny is usually because it's not aimed at me. Explains why he seems so hit and miss for me.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there any point in me reading further than this post?
oh man, i skipped those links because i figured the thread was still full of dick-nuts. glad you brought it up.

the thread gets worse after that. i had fun pushing a bunch of nerds on the defensive about their wang preferences, but some people are just dead set on talking about their dicks. there's some brave efforts to stop them going on, though.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dreylad posted:

I've come to realize that Mike Judge is a pretty funny dude, and anything of his that I don't find funny is usually because it's not aimed at me. Explains why he seems so hit and miss for me.

youre thinking of jike mudge

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Early 20th Century psychology could write volumes on circumcision chat threads. We just need a time machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THS posted:

youre thinking of jike mudge

I liked Idiocracy because as time goes on it's becoming increasingly prophetic.

• Locked thread