Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

40 minutes of DriveClub footage:

http://www.twitch.tv/playstationde/b/558118897

The game still looks drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I’ve been on the fence about whether or not to get a PS4.

The biggest draw for me was MGSV, but now that it’s been announced for PC, I wonder if I’d be better off saving my money to upgrade my computer. Most of the other games I’ve been interested in getting are PSN titles (Mercenary Kings, Stick it to the Man, Broforce), and those are also available on PC. Other games (Grim Fandango, No Man’s Sky) are being released on PS4 first, but are coming to PC at a later date.

At the moment, the only two games that I’d think would be worth getting a PS4 for are Destiny and Dynasty Warriors 8. I know that Dynasty Warriors 8 is also on PC, but I’ve heard that the PC version has some issues with controller compatibility, and is missing some minor features from the PS4 version.

There are some other cool things I like about the PS4, like the Twitch app, the ability to record and edit video, and the free games through PlayStation Plus. However, I’m still uncertain, so I thought I’d ask if someone had a recommendation.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If nothing screams at you as something you'd want to play then don't get the console just to have it.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I finally did it, I managed to sweep all the online trophies for the Last of Us up. Now to finish Grounded difficulty and Grounded+ sometime before the PS5 comes out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Scyron posted:

I finally did it, I managed to sweep all the online trophies for the Last of Us up. Now to finish Grounded difficulty and Grounded+ sometime before the PS5 comes out.

Look into the NG+ glitch, it lets you start an NG+ game on a difficulty you haven't yet completed. I'm in the middle of a Grounded+ run, and it sounds like all the previous difficulties will carry over. Something to bear in mind if you're not exactly thrilled about two more playthroughs on high difficulty.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Asema posted:

If nothing screams at you as something you'd want to play then don't get the console just to have it.

This is correct.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Max Wilco posted:

The biggest draw for me was MGSV, but now that it’s been announced for PC, I wonder if I’d be better off saving my money to upgrade my computer. Most of the other games I’ve been interested in getting are PSN titles (Mercenary Kings, Stick it to the Man, Broforce), and those are also available on PC. Other games (Grim Fandango, No Man’s Sky) are being released on PS4 first, but are coming to PC at a later date.

At the moment, the only two games that I’d think would be worth getting a PS4 for are Destiny and Dynasty Warriors 8. I know that Dynasty Warriors 8 is also on PC, but I’ve heard that the PC version has some issues with controller compatibility, and is missing some minor features from the PS4 version.

There are some other cool things I like about the PS4, like the Twitch app, the ability to record and edit video, and the free games through PlayStation Plus. However, I’m still uncertain, so I thought I’d ask if someone had a recommendation.
Bloodborne, GOTYAY.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is

Max Wilco posted:

If you've got a capable gaming PC you don't really NEED a PS4 just yet, but it's got some very good games, and some games that I just prefer playing on PS4.

Diablo 3 looks like a lot of fun on the new consoles, the recent Oddworld remake got great reviews, the PS+ freebies have been wonderful and really varied, etc. It has a solid F2P library but all of those games are on PC, too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Asema posted:

Pretty much. I mean, if you're into console gaming and aren't into Nintendo, the PS4 is a no-brainer and it's more about when you feel comfortable spending the cash.

But if all the titles you're really interested in are coming out on PC and you like PC gaming, there's no reason to take the dip. Maybe in a year or two, take another look and see if there's anything exclusive you like. Go play it in at a friend's place or a brick-and-mortar to get a feel for it. By then there will be a price drop anyway.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't get why people need so much convincing as to whether or not they should get x console. Isn't there enough info out there?

Somehow console vs PC always gets thrown around

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

JordanKai posted:

40 minutes of DriveClub footage:

http://www.twitch.tv/playstationde/b/558118897

The game still looks drat good.

what I took away from this video unlike the others was the sound design, listen to that engine roar :woop:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If bloodborne > Halo and no desktop pc then ps4

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Christoff posted:

I don't get why people need so much convincing as to whether or not they should get x console. Isn't there enough info out there?

Somehow console vs PC always gets thrown around

Maybe some people can't be bothered to look up the info and would rather rely on strangers on the internet to tell them how to spend half a grand. :iiam:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Take the total cost of the console plus any accessories and PS+ subscription and put it against the total cost of every game that you want to play on it out now and coming within the next 12 months. If game value goes over console value, then I buy it. I've done this since PS2 and the only time I've gotten burned by it was Wii U and that MH3U trap.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Throw your pc into the ocean, buy the PS4/Wii U combo and feel comfort in the fact that you've made the best gaming decision of your life.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With the PS+ freebies I've enjoyed and the great controller, poo poo's done a good first nine months paying for itself.

Just no thanks to those KontrolFreeks prices. Going to gamble and order the DealXtreme alternatives later this month instead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

But the PS4 is all indie games that are $1.50 on steam

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

cronox2 posted:

Ended up beating the game on child #15. I thought that trophy would be a lot harder but it was way more fun than I expected and the remix boss fights basically made you learn all of their patterns.

When did Sony relent on their policy of not allowing a platinum trophy on games that weren't full retail price? If I recall correctly that was the reason Ground Zeroes did not have one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

J-Spot posted:

When did Sony relent on their policy of not allowing a platinum trophy on games that weren't full retail price? If I recall correctly that was the reason Ground Zeroes did not have one.

That's always been kind of bullshit, because there are a lot of PSN games with non-retail price that have platinums. I think it's just something Konami said to make people stop complaining.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Policenaut posted:

That's always been kind of bullshit, because there are a lot of PSN games with non-retail price that have platinums. I think it's just something Konami said to make people stop complaining.

I was going to contest this and then remembered the only Platinum I have recently is from Transistor and also looking at the ridiculous requirements for the Spelunky Platinum. They've definitely had less-than-full price games with Platinum for a while now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Christoff posted:

But the PS4 is all indie games that are $1.50 on steam

I wish they would release Out of the Park Baseball for PS4.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Spelunky doesn't have a platinum, maybe you are thinking of the other spelunky like game, minna de spelunky or something?

As for TLoU on super mega hard, it isn't horrible, and makes me appreciate some aspects fo the game but more often than not I have broken the AI subroutines quite a lot by actually using stealth as intended.

I did read up on that NG+ glitch but I am not sure if that would have given me the grounded difficulty trophy. Maybe the grounded+ but i don't know.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm super duper excited for Destiny, but at the moment... I just want it to be Diablo Day.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Scyron posted:

Spelunky doesn't have a platinum, maybe you are thinking of the other spelunky like game, minna de spelunky or something?

Yeah, Minna de Spelunker or just "Spelunker" overseas has a platinum.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Scyron posted:

Oh no I was just confusing it for the Gold, which might as well be a Platinum for how impossible it is to get. But eh, there you go, Spelunker has a Platinum and has been out since 2009 (?).

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

George of Super Bunnyhop on the dark future that streaming could usher in:

http://youtu.be/GeX38RD52-4

Yeah, I feel about the same way myself...

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

Wow it's like I'm back in 2004 talking about Steam

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Speedball posted:

Some parts of his argument seem pretty flimsy. Like, he has a whole laundry list of reasons why having every game streaming would be awful: input lag, no modding, etc. But he doesn't mention the fact that these are the exact reason streaming would never catch on unless it was absolutely perfect. There are always going to be people who want to mod, who need twitchy games to have zero input lag and run at 60 fps. If these features don't exist, they simply won't buy the game. If streaming is consistently not providing these as well as physical or downloaded copies then it has no chance of replacing them.

I think it's a bit early to be predicting disaster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Speedball posted:

I stopped watching about 3/4 through it because the whiny baby just got to be too much. Give it a loving break. For one thing, streaming will not ever be the de facto standard delivery of games. Not for a long, long, long time anyway. It's just not feasible. No need to go into why. There's a laundry list of reasons.

This guy is a loving moron and his shadow conspiracy bullshit is ridiculous. Literally his only valid points are also the very proof this will not be the de Facto games delivery for god knows how long. Artifacting, delay, etc...

Sorry. I'm not mad. And I don't mean to come across too harsh. His video just rubbed me the wrong way. Go make a video about an actual problem in the world, mister serious.

[edit]

Hah! PantsBandit and I were posting at the same time and he raised a similar point. HIGH FIVE!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Would anybody be interested in helping me curate the PS4 goonlist? It's not something I think I want to handle on my own any more, so I would love it if one or two people would be interested in helping me out.

There was also a query about maybe streamlining the form/edit process for the list, so if anybody knows how to work that Google Drive magic that would be excellent. Thanks!

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

I don't think he has much to worry about. Input lag makes most games significantly less fun to play. Not to mention its a big disadvantage if you're playing any reaction-based competitive game. I used to have a tv with about 80ms input lag and it was complete poo poo for playing games on.

edit: I'm saying this is why I don't think it'll catch on in any big way.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I consider next Tuesday the beginning of the fall season. My GameQ looks like this: Diablo 3, Plants Vs. Zombies 2, Metro Redux, Destiny, Shadow Warrior, Shadow Of Mordor, Drive Club, Evil Within, rear end Creed Unity, COD AW, Dragon Age and Far Cry 4. I'll rent Lords Of The Fallen and Alien Isolation afterwards if they turn out to not be poo poo. That's a lot of games.

I've never done such a lenghty rotation before. I hope Gamefly doesn't gently caress up...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when every mouth breathing CoD fanboy has reliable highspeed internet (never) then streaming will be the norm.

now if they make backlog streaming the norm instead of giving the ps4 emulation capabilities of ps1/ps2 or canceling backwards compatibility for future consoles despite the now standard x86 set up of the ps4 then i'd say there were downsides but for now these experiments are cool.

its bad rear end that i can wake up and say "oh poo poo i'd love to play the intro to Space Marine today" and just do it for 2 bucks instantly.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Feenix posted:

I'm super duper excited for Destiny, but at the moment... I just want it to be Diablo Day.

You and me both bud. I can't wait for some sweet couch co op. I haven't played D3 since a couple of months after launch and all the changes look great.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The last time I touched a Diablo-type game was Torchlight, which i did have fun playing. Would I enjoy Diablo 3, even with the 64 dollar pricetag?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TaurusOxford posted:

The last time I touched a Diablo-type game was Torchlight, which i did have fun playing. Would I enjoy Diablo 3, even with the 64 dollar pricetag?

now that it's fixed then yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

now that it's fixed then yeah

yeah pc d3 was dog poo poo. i'm looking forward to buying the ps4 one used in a month to play a good version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Diablo 3 owned on PS3 and I'm sure it'll own even harder on PS4. I never played it on PC.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

PC got good when they got rid of the cash auction house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

PC got good when they got rid of the cash auction house.

poo poo was seriously garbage at launch, in 3-4 months I'd maxed a couple of characters and I'd still never gotten a legendary, or even what I'd consider a great drop. It was pretty much "auction house, the game" for me for way too long. I put a couple of hours into it again when the new loot system started and everything was so much better. I'm excited to see act V and try out adventure mode.

• Locked thread