Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Why would it fold like that anyways? I know they were expecting it flip end over end, but is the frame really that weak?

It looks like there is another line attached to the back of the truck. They probably attached two lines, one to the front and one to the back (for unknown reasons), but the line attached to the rear had more slack and thus didn't do poo poo, and what's more the back of the cab got hung up on the ice at the edge of the hole while the bed slid right over it.

Basically they hosed up in like 3 different ways, but most egregiously by not realizing that the cab is taller than the bed and will get hung up on the edge of the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh well, it was garbage already so not like it makes a huge difference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ExplodingSims posted:

Why would it fold like that anyways? I know they were expecting it flip end over end, but is the frame really that weak?

They pulled the cab off the frame.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Are the front wheels not attached to the frame on that truck then?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, I'm retarded. :lol:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
More amusing than horrible, but: I had a '97 Mazda 323P which I ended up giving my brother for free, fully expecting it to fail inspections at any moment. So far it's refused to die, so it sits as their second car. It has the usual Mazda rust, so today I receive a text saying "mazda has been sitting all summer. changed the battery and went on a shakedown run. this fell off. any idea?"

I hazily recall that particular shape being related to the exhaust somehow. At any rate, I don't think that particular component makes much difference whether it's on the car or not.

Mazda 323P for reference. I miss you, you rusty little bugger. You hauled everything I asked, started every time I asked, and didn't kill me even though I drove you through the worst winter on record on crappy beat up all seasons with next to no traction.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aww, look at the cute miniature pallets.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

what is the purpose of the banana?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jonny Nox posted:

Banana for scale.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Probably to show that those are not actually miniature pallets. That picture definitely hosed with my brain for a second.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jonny Nox posted:

The banana did it. :tinfoil:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Nox posted:

Awww such cute little pallets oh wait what's that yellow thi-OH :stare:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
At the Boeing air museum when my dad came to visit he made me stand at the nose of he SR71 while he photographed me from afar. He then shouted his thanks because he needed a banana for scale.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Well - they are loading the frame in exactly the opposite direction in which its engineered to take stress. Couple that with some pre-existing rust damage and cruncho.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Powershift posted:

Marine I'm assuming? Any details?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Remember to position your loads directly over your axles boys.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

No. 6 posted:

Now it has a free wheelie bar!

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

rscott posted:

Never seen a set of digital calipers fail so that they display exactly half the actual value. The first picture is a .050" block and the second one is a 4" block.

I've had several sets fail this way. It usually takes me a moment or two to realize, then I have to go back and check my WHOLE days work. >:(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

13 INCH DICK posted:

At the Boeing air museum when my dad came to visit he made me stand at the nose of he SR71 while he photographed me from afar. He then shouted his thanks because he needed a banana for scale.

That's not an SR-71.

Edit: as much as the type of extremely fast airplane wasn't the point of that post.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Elviscat posted:

That's not an SR-71.

Edit: as much as the type of extremely fast airplane wasn't the point of that post.

What is it, an A-10?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

What is it, an A-10?

Wait, is 13 INCH DICK the dude from that Propaghandi song?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Museum of Flight has the CIA version of the SR71 along with a prototype drone. I don't know what's at The Future of Flight museum, but that's the one that takes you on a tour of the Boeing factory.
edit: Lockheed A-12

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 15, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.flyingheritage.com/

is having a big show up in everett on labor day weekend

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008

No. 6 posted:

No, you aren't allowed to do that, your load has to be fairly evenly distributed, especially for loads that get anywhere near maximum axle weight, the limit to most of those trailers is road pressure ratings from the DOT not the strength of the trailer.

That's actually pretty impressive, I've seen some crazy heavy special loads bend one of those trailers, but never seen one snap.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

jkr266s posted:

No, you aren't allowed to do that, your load has to be fairly evenly distributed, especially for loads that get anywhere near maximum axle weight, the limit to most of those trailers is road pressure ratings from the DOT not the strength of the trailer.

That's actually pretty impressive, I've seen some crazy heavy special loads bend one of those trailers, but never seen one snap.

Yeah, that load looks like it was centered reasonably well, which is standard procedure. I just want to know what the load was to do that(or what the failure was to make it snap). Those trailers are built with an upward bow in them specifically to prevent sagging and the stress-induced failures from such, so unless that was an incredibly old and overworked trailer I can't see any good reason for this to have happened.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Rorac posted:

Yeah, that load looks like it was centered reasonably well, which is standard procedure. I just want to know what the load was to do that(or what the failure was to make it snap). Those trailers are built with an upward bow in them specifically to prevent sagging and the stress-induced failures from such, so unless that was an incredibly old and overworked trailer I can't see any good reason for this to have happened.

You would be surprised at the number of poorly maintained, falling apart trucks/trailers there are running around on the roads. I've seen a trailer i-beam crack just from loading up equipment. We unloaded it and told the trucking company to send us another trailer, and they did, and the wood deck fell through.

I guarantee you that thing was either damaged in the past and not repaired properly, or rusted most of the way through the frame. That looks like a poo poo load of metal, and I bet it was heavier than what they normally carried, so when it hit a bump hard enough, it folded like a lawn chair.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

EKDS5k posted:

You would be surprised at the number of poorly maintained, falling apart trucks/trailers there are running around on the roads. I've seen a trailer i-beam crack just from loading up equipment. We unloaded it and told the trucking company to send us another trailer, and they did, and the wood deck fell through.

Oh, I know. I've driven two semis that were mechanical failures in their own right. Seriously, one truck had more poo poo break in 3 months than everything on every car I've been around has since I started driving. Still, I'd think that the flatbeds would be built a bit stronger since those get used for oversize loads most often and making all of them up to the task is cheaper in an economy of scale way.

That said, I'd put my money on rusted through. Straight up frame failures seems like something that would be really difficult if it wasn't weakened somehow in the first place.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Center of the wheel failed suddenly. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K31ydIV_Wtg

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aurune posted:

But what about the car :ohdear:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Powershift posted:

But what about the car :ohdear:

It's a historic race car. I doubt there was a original part on it before it crashed. It'll race again.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

revmoo posted:

You're gonna have to go a whole lot darker than that to raise any eyebrows around here.

Is this dark enough? I used a Pepsi bottle for the extracted fluid, and in person it looks like really thick Pepsi.

This was immediately followed by snapping the bleed valve in half (cross post from BMW thread):

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Aurune posted:

"Surely this chainlink fence will protect me from any flyi-- Man that tire can bounce!"

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
On the other hand "Hey, free tire!"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Must've been a replica wheel :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

There's something about that one that makes it look like an old wreck at the bottom of the ocean.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agent RE-RE posted:

I've had several sets fail this way. It usually takes me a moment or two to realize, then I have to go back and check my WHOLE days work. >:(

Get a mechanical vernier caliper, never have to worry about dead batteries or wrong readings, and stop fooling yourself with more accuracy than your hands are actually capable of to boot :smugbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Get a mechanical vernier caliper, never have to worry about dead batteries or wrong readings, and stop fooling yourself with more accuracy than your hands are actually capable of to boot :smugbert:

I do all the calibration for all the metrology devices in the shop and I much prefer dial calipers and vernier scale mics with a ratchet because most of the time taking them apart and cleaning them out fixes whatever is making them read out of tolerance. It's pretty rare that the actual mechanism in a set of dial calipers actually fails. Electric ones, especially the cheap ones most of our operators end up buying break all the time and there really isn't much you can do

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Looks like the pressure in my exhaust was too much for the resonator again... The welding was a previous dodge attempt to fill cracks that appeared in it but I think its done this time.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

tobu posted:

Looks like the pressure in my exhaust was too much for the resonator again... The welding was a previous dodge attempt to fill cracks that appeared in it but I think its done this time.

No, looks more like the lovely attempt to mate the two sizes was inadequate to withstand the bending and vibration. I'd go back and check all your exhaust hangers and make sure the exhaust is well supported and constrained. I'd also put in a proper reducer section rather than whatever the hell was done with that to make it fit. No way, no how was that anything to do with exhaust pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

charliemonster42 posted:

No, looks more like the lovely attempt to mate the two sizes was inadequate to withstand the bending and vibration. I'd go back and check all your exhaust hangers and make sure the exhaust is well supported and constrained. I'd also put in a proper reducer section rather than whatever the hell was done with that to make it fit. No way, no how was that anything to do with exhaust pressure.

Thanks for this info. It's going into the shop tomorrow and I'll ask them to check the supports and about a proper reducer. Thankfully not going back to the shop that did the exhaust and turbo upgrade. Those fuckers cut corners everywhere apparently marking me for the rube I am.