Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Please do not take my post as an excuse to bitch about anime games and make the thread discussion somehow even worse than stand generators.

Please do not post anime games that people will "bitch" about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Potsticker posted:

Please do not post anime games that people will "bitch" about.

People could just not be stupid about everything. Someone goes "Wow this thing has a neat reference" and then someone just HAS to point out how it's literally worse than hitler. Now y'all dorks can go back to circlejerking about stand generators made by tumblrites.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Shame the game features little girls losing their clothes instead of manly muscular men.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pomp posted:

I'm just sad because I thought maybe there might be something neat to play on the vita for once. :saddowns:

Hahahaha on the vita not likely.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Shame the game features little girls losing their clothes instead of manly muscular men.

A vast majority of the characters you strip are skinny nerdy men does that count

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
that game sounds hilarious but

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

I'm sorry. But this discussion should not happen here because it's just going to get creepy fast. I'll re-open the thread tomorrow or whatever.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Alright timeout's over. Hopefully y'all can behave for at least one page.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

But daaaaaad!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Potsticker posted:

But daaaaaad!

Don't make me turn this car around and go back home.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Seriously though, I'd bet there are Jojo references in all sorts of otaku fapbait games. It doesn't mean that it's a great idea to post about playing them.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Does any manga portray the disabled in as positive a light as Johnny in Steel Ball Run?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

^^^^e:^Thank you.

Potsticker posted:

Seriously though, I'd bet there are Jojo references in all sorts of otaku fapbait games. It doesn't mean that it's a great idea to post about playing them.

Can you not do this. The post was to appreciate the loving reference not to glorify a stupid game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King Cohort posted:

Does any manga portray the disabled in as positive a light as Johnny in Steel Ball Run?

I can barely think of any media at all that does.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can't find it but a few months ago someone posted some pic in the convince someone to read with one panel thread about some dude in a weaponized wheel chair which looks boss as hell. My vote is for that, whatever it was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

King Cohort posted:

Insomuch as he was not portrayed as being limited by his disability, but he was pretty much a grade A selfish rear end in a top hat who got cool powers and beat the big bad guy because he happened to make friends with the right guy-- something he was only compelled to do by the fact that he thought the guy could cure his disability, in other words being a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'd say Johnny starts out as a dick, but ends up becoming a much better person in the end.

On another note, I just learned that S-Cry-Ed was inspired by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which seems pretty obvious in hindsight. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

King Cohort posted:

Takehiko Inoue, of Slam Dunk and Vagabond, has a manga called Real. Most of the main characters are disabled to some degree, as are a number of the secondary characters. It's pretty cool.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd say Johnny starts out as a dick, but ends up becoming a much better person in the end.

On another note, I just learned that S-Cry-Ed was inspired by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which seems pretty obvious in hindsight. :v:

If it exists then there's a good chance that it's inspired by Jojo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The fact that Johnny is like the only Jojo with a legitimate character arc is part of why he's my favorite.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

The fact that Johnny is like the only Jojo with a legitimate character arc is part of why he's my favorite.

What? I mean, he does have the longest character arc but, as far as I can recall, both Joseph and Jolyne also have pretty good development arcs. Of course, with Joseph it was a bit more compressed because it had to fit in 7 volumes, but it's there. Same goes for Jolyne.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I guess because it was the longest, I notice and remember it more.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Joseph had development?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He went from not giving a crap about his lineage and being unable to sympathize with others to actually being proud of his bloodline and taking up Caesar's cause.

On the topic of Caesar, I think it would've been really neat if Joseph had a Stand that was based on him. Even if only ability-wise.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think the fact that Johnny was presented as having personality flaws is pretty massively progressive given that most media with disabled characters presents them as gleaming saints the hem of whose garments we petty mortals with our two working legs are not fit to touch.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh my god don't post together like that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Insomuch as he was not portrayed as being limited by his disability, but he was pretty much a grade A selfish rear end in a top hat who got cool powers and beat the big bad guy because he happened to make friends with the right guy-- something he was only compelled to do by the fact that he thought the guy could cure his disability, in other words being a selfish rear end in a top hat.

As was said two posts up, being portrayed as a human being is a pretty big step up from "helpless human plot device" or "literal saint that can never do any wrong."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pomp posted:

As was said two posts up, being portrayed as a human being is a pretty big step up from "helpless human plot device" or "literal saint that can never do any wrong."

I was putting a bit too much weight on the word "positive," looking back.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, Jonathan couldn't develop anymore because he was already a perfect saint of a human being. Joseph went from not giving a poo poo to giving a poo poo. Jotaro goes from wanting to punch the poo poo out of DIO to really wanting to punch the poo poo out of DIO. Same with Josuke but with Kira. Who the gently caress knows what happened in Part 5. And that's all I've read so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/20.html

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne had legit character growth, but people might not remember that because it was over and done with after the first twenty chapters or so. Though she did end up as the most badass JoJo, so I'm not complaning.

Also Johnny was a goddamn grade-A rear end in a top hat, a murderous sonofabitch, and probably a worse human being overall than most of the villains to boot. That's a large part of why he was such a great character.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I posted this in the Vita thread but the newly released Akiba's Trip has a JoJo's fighting style, complete with sick rear end poses

Do you get a stand too?

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also Johnny was a goddamn grade-A rear end in a top hat, a murderous sonofabitch, and probably a worse human being overall than most of the villains to boot. That's a large part of why he was such a great character.
Also interesting how Johnny is almost the complete opposite of Jonathan.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Retcon posted:

Also interesting how Johnny is almost the complete opposite of Jonathan.

Literally the only thing they have in common is that they're both a main character. And Johnny has to share his main character status with Gyro so even that's iffy.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Literally the only thing they have in common is that they're both a main character. And Johnny has to share his main character status with Gyro so even that's iffy.

There's also both of their dads having the hots for Dio.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I think they have more than that in common: They have the same name, both have a pet named Danny and a Zeppeli as their mentor and both end up fighting Dio as the final antagonist of their story. These are superficial similarities but I thought what Araki tried to do was to introduce a character that was completely different from Jonathan and then give us some background info that shows us that he is is supposed the Jonathan of this timeline.

I'm probably just overthinking this though :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stardust Crusaders is way better than I remember.

I remember only being hyped up about Yellow Temperance, the Steely Dan punching, Anubis, and a few other things, but I've found a lot of episodes have reminded me I'd forgotten about some of the best stuff, like the Sun and the ending of the Death 13 fight. :allears:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How is it even humanly possible to forget about Kakyoin feeding the baby its own poo poo?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

How is it even humanly possible to forget about Kakyoin feeding the baby its own poo poo?

Well, I read through Stardust Crusaders in two days, so I was pretty much just bouncing from Stand fight to Stand fight. By the time I had gotten to that part, I was excited over the resolution of the Judgment fight, and then freaking out about how awesome Anubis was. Then there was Geb, Daniel D'arby, Vanilla Ice, DIO, etc.

• Locked thread