Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Mountain Lightning posted:

I lost him to that loving "Go beat a juggernaut to death with melee" mission Sasquatch has you do.

In related news Sasquatch is no longer with us, having valiantly held off a number of zombies in a base defense mission while I pointed and laughed.

I successfully killed the big fucker but Sasquatch died on the way back because I got my car stuck on the scenery and he was to dumb to crawl down off the roof so a feral ate him.

I'd love to have 'Squatch as a survivor in Breakdown. There's a mod that adds Lifeline characters and some others, but I've read mixed reports on whether it works with QJMS. Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Outposts - I DONT take all the resources from the house if I want a steady stream of resources each day? What happens if I make an outpost then take all the resources?

My max stamina is dropping fast when I load but Ive got beds etc. Is it the 'good night sleep' upgrade I need?

Sickness is rife, infirmary upgrade needed?

I take it traps are best on outposts on the main approaches into a town on the main road?

Holy poo poo I need construction mats.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I generally set down a place as an outpost, then loot it after it's set up as an outpost. I don't notice anything bad happening.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tai posted:

Outposts - I DONT take all the resources from the house if I want a steady stream of resources each day? What happens if I make an outpost then take all the resources?

My max stamina is dropping fast when I load but Ive got beds etc. Is it the 'good night sleep' upgrade I need?

Sickness is rife, infirmary upgrade needed?

I take it traps are best on outposts on the main approaches into a town on the main road?

Holy poo poo I need construction mats.

If you take all resources, then make an outpost, it produces ammo. If you leave 1 of that resource type, the created outpost produces that. How outposts produce resources is they take 1 construction material -> 3 new material. Construction Material outposts do this as well, so 1 CM -> 3 CM (net + 2 CM). You can take them after the outpost has been made.

What do you mean by 'load'? You lose stamina fast when running with rucksacks, no matter what.

Once you have a level 2 infirmary, the only way to further help with sickness is a) have a medical professional and b) have available medicine. If you have 0 medicine, there is not much you can do.

Yes, try to ring your base with outposts to provide maximum coverage. Savini and the warehouse can easily be made completely immune to hordes. Also, zombies will not spawn within your circles of influence, though they can still wander in from outside. Also, it doesn't matter which outpost you set your traps at. Due to a bug, they get set all at once. I don't think they'll fix it, as everyone is used to how it works now.

Yes, you do. You can effectively dupe materials by taking all but 1 bag, call in a pickup mission, then take the last one. You can also fit setting up an outpost in there as well. However, if you go offline before that pickup mission completes, they will bring back nothing.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

I successfully killed the big fucker but Sasquatch died on the way back because I got my car stuck on the scenery and he was to dumb to crawl down off the roof so a feral ate him.

I'd love to have 'Squatch as a survivor in Breakdown. There's a mod that adds Lifeline characters and some others, but I've read mixed reports on whether it works with QJMS. Anyone know?

I'd love to have Sashsquatch take over on the radio in Breakdown, I'm tired of that psychotic lupus drama queen yapping at me all day.

PS: If anyone doubts her true character, look for the picture I posted earlier in the thread where she threatened to cut one of my survivors for 'snitching'

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 14, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I'd love to have Sashsquatch take over on the radio in Breakdown, I'm tired of that psychotic lupus drama queen yapping at me all day.

I love how she keeps talking poo poo even after she moves into my base and starts eating my food.

E: Whoops misread that, my point about Vienna Cho still stands though.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 14, 2014

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Screw Vienna Cho.

I've got a little crush on the lady with the weird hick accent that says "we done turtlin'?" all the time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Skandranon posted:

Someone should find his voice files, hack them up, and replace the default annoying woman's files with the edited versions every time a freak hunt comes up.

Imagine him busting onto the channel before ranting that someone has to go and melee one of those giant hick zombies to death. :allears:

quote:

Which mod is this? I was trying to manually add them into the mod pack I was making, but I ran into a hitch when I discovered that the latest version of QMJS has a showstopping bug. Apparently the enclaves file causes a crash when starting a new Breakdown game, which means you either have to run without some of the mod features or I need to find a fix myself first.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 14, 2014

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

glug posted:

I have an issue where I can't load my damned breakdown game anymore, it looks like it's loading forever, but in the background there's a crash screen that I can't bring to focus :(

edit: woo was able to focus it temporarily long enough to read the location of the binary dump file. Now what :(

I've had this issue when I turn the music off. Only way to fix it is to start a new game in some other mode to turn the music.back up. They're really proud of the music.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Skandranon posted:

PS: If anyone doubts her true character, look for the picture I posted earlier in the thread where she threatened to cut one of my survivors for 'snitching'

I could never hate Lily for this exact reason. Take a look at who she threatened in my game:

:allears:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

DONT DO IT posted:

I've had this issue when I turn the music off. Only way to fix it is to start a new game in some other mode to turn the music.back up. They're really proud of the music.

Support on their side told me to log in as a diff profile, then switch back, and that works.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

I could never hate Lily for this exact reason. Take a look at who she threatened in my game:

I can't hate her because I picture her saying that in her voice and it's great.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't hate her because I picture her saying that in her voice and it's great.

Except she is the least talented member, eats my food, needs special medicine so she doesn't die (which I'm supposed to care about), CAN'T actually ever die, and somehow magically reserves a spot for herself on MY RV.

Oh, and needs a bed, despite never sleeping and letting anyone else even touch the radio.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Skandranon posted:

Except she is the least talented member, eats my food, needs special medicine so she doesn't die (which I'm supposed to care about), CAN'T actually ever die, and somehow magically reserves a spot for herself on MY RV.

Oh, and needs a bed, despite never sleeping and letting anyone else even touch the radio.

I've been wondering if the Gossip 'skill' was supposed to allow other people to take over, but they cut it out for time or something.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

glug posted:

Screw Vienna Cho.

I've got a little crush on the lady with the weird hick accent that says "we done turtlin'?" all the time.

Why is she so concerned with whether or not I have to poop anyway?

Maaan, I am gonna have to take some shiiiits

e:

Archonex posted:

Which mod is this? I was trying to manually add them into the mod pack I was making, but I ran into a hitch when I discovered that the latest version of QMJS has a showstopping bug. Apparently the enclaves file causes a crash when starting a new Breakdown game, which means you either have to run without some of the mod features or I need to find a fix myself first.

This one
http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/131/

I've read different things about whether or not it's compatible with Q, haven't tried it myself.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

That is too funny to be annoyed at her for, it's like Stephen Hawking poo poo-talking Bas Rutten.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

That is too funny to be annoyed at her for, it's like Stephen Hawking poo poo-talking Bas Rutten.

That needs to be a thing.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is there anyway to equip people other than getting to the point where you can switch to playing as them?

Shotgun lady keeps taking over the watchtower and her awful sniping is attracting more zombies than she's able to kill.

Everyone else just runs and hides inside when they get to the perimeter so it's just me out there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Palmersaurus posted:

Is there anyway to equip people other than getting to the point where you can switch to playing as them?

Shotgun lady keeps taking over the watchtower and her awful sniping is attracting more zombies than she's able to kill.

Everyone else just runs and hides inside when they get to the perimeter so it's just me out there.

I don't think short of switching to them and modifying their loadout there's any way to do that unfortunately. It'd be nice to be able to suggest a role or even a weapon type preference, like go up to them and say "use rifles".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is there a "stop hiding in the house, there's zombies in the vegetable patch, go hit them with your frying pan" button?

It's weird that the cop guy is fine with headshotting everything in sight until one gets over the fence, then he's all cowering inside at the window.

e. I guess my expectations were a bit different to the reality of the game wrt the AI of the people in your base.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guns are coming out the yin-yang in the main game, to the point where I'm running out of room for weapons and only one of them (a .22 rifle) is worth getting rid of.

Unfortunately, my efforts to find interesting guns (especially with the mod that lets all DLC weapons spawn in all game modes) has been stymied by the appearance of about half a dozen Diplomats.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I've been trying to get all of the breakout1 achievements (the annoying ones being building every structure and researching everything), and it's been fine other than the waiting around thing, but I find myself running really low on bullets. Meanwhile in lifeline I fart bullets and poo poo grenades.

Either it's random luck or they balanced things differently in terms of scarcity between modes which is cool.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Depending on your stockpile, you could try breaking open ammo stashes for bullets. If you have facilities which generate ammo you don't need to scavenge them so bad.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

glug posted:

I've been trying to get all of the breakout1 achievements (the annoying ones being building every structure and researching everything), and it's been fine other than the waiting around thing, but I find myself running really low on bullets. Meanwhile in lifeline I fart bullets and poo poo grenades.

Either it's random luck or they balanced things differently in terms of scarcity between modes which is cool.

Not sure why it's so much better in Lifeline, but to combat the problem in Breakdown, here is what I do. Whenever you have extra influence, switch to someone you don't particularly care for, and have them grab all the bullets they can hold. Repeat. When you switch out from a hero, have them stock up full on the ammo they like. Ammo can move in and out of storage at 0 cost, so this is a great way to sequester influence, and avoid losing bullets.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Not sure why it's so much better in Lifeline, but to combat the problem in Breakdown, here is what I do. Whenever you have extra influence, switch to someone you don't particularly care for, and have them grab all the bullets they can hold. Repeat. When you switch out from a hero, have them stock up full on the ammo they like. Ammo can move in and out of storage at 0 cost, so this is a great way to sequester influence, and avoid losing bullets.

They took the fame mechanic out in Lifeline. Combined with the insane amount of guns you get for looting*, its easy to get 2k+ influence by clearing out a handful of houses.

*Might be "normal" drop rates, I went from Breakdown 13 to Lifeline, so I'm used to getting like one useful item out of every house.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

They took the fame mechanic out in Lifeline. Combined with the insane amount of guns you get for looting*, its easy to get 2k+ influence by clearing out a handful of houses.

*Might be "normal" drop rates, I went from Breakdown 13 to Lifeline, so I'm used to getting like one useful item out of every house.

The other issue is the locker doesn't automatically clear out the same way. In Breakdown, you can drop 500 bullets in the locker, and they'll just disappear overnight. But if they are in player inventories, you're safe.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
I just got back into the vanilla game after a year long break. I have to say, this is still one of the few games that can get your adrenaline rushing just from organic gameplay. Being chased into an abandoned house by a feral, only to find a bunch of glowing eyes inside has never been so terrifyingly fun. :zombie:

Also, when did they patch in vehicle trunk storage? Because holy poo poo that is game changing. I've always liked to use McReady Farmhouse for long term play, and my only real pain point was resource collection. Now I can run to town with a car, loot 4-5 houses and head back with a trove of supplies. Makes scavenging so much easier since you don't always have to drop your poo poo to go save/assist someone.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

lunatikfringe posted:

I just got back into the vanilla game after a year long break. I have to say, this is still one of the few games that can get your adrenaline rushing just from organic gameplay. Being chased into an abandoned house by a feral, only to find a bunch of glowing eyes inside has never been so terrifyingly fun. :zombie:

Also, when did they patch in vehicle trunk storage? Because holy poo poo that is game changing. I've always liked to use McReady Farmhouse for long term play, and my only real pain point was resource collection. Now I can run to town with a car, loot 4-5 houses and head back with a trove of supplies. Makes scavenging so much easier since you don't always have to drop your poo poo to go save/assist someone.

Why the MacReady farmstead? It's far from everything and there's no good spots for horde demolishing outposts. It's the only one I've NEVER used.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Why the MacReady farmstead? It's far from everything and there's no good spots for horde demolishing outposts. It's the only one I've NEVER used.

MacReady can get by fairly well with just one outpost in the barn across the road from it, and since it's centrally located you can cut through the surrounding fields and be just about anywhere on the map in a very short time.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pander posted:

I like MacReady too, it's super cozy and the one I picture as most comfortable to actually live in, especially since it's isolation would make it safer instead of more at risk without the weird horde-magnet mechanics. Plus the built-in bedroom/bunkhouse/kitchen/storage plus three empty slots make it good for shacking up a small group of survivors and keeping them happy and healthy. Snyder strikes me more as some zombie-themed Bartertown instead of an actual home.

tl;dr my immersion :goonsay:

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Pander posted:

I use vehicles pretty heavily, and every expedition out I do a round of running over any hordes/infestations/freaks nearby. Sure I have to travel a bit further for story missions and scavenging, but for me it is offset by most of my own survivor missions (kill freak/distraction/etc) taking place out in the open fields. I can usually run over any zombies you would normally have to kill by hand in an urban setting.

Additionally, with outposts placed at the other farms to the west, south, and east, a lot of horde activity is neutralized along scavenger routes. I rarely have scavengers run into trouble since they cut across lowly populated farm fields. I myself am able to drive across the fields to any of the towns, so technically, I am centrally located to everything.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tehan posted:

Snyder strikes me more as some zombie-themed Bartertown instead of an actual home.

Who runs Bartertown? Lily runs Bartertown.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Anyone here has any experience with the QMJS Extended Functions mod? Is it good? The feature list seems interesting.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are breakdown and the original even worth playing after playing lifeline? I can't stop playing lifeline.

Also do followers ever shoot? Even though my follower has a .50 caliber sniper rifle or a sub machinegun they'd rather use a riot baton.

And the army needs more 5'1" women with helmets bigger than they are. :3

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 23, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

NeoSeeker posted:

Are breakdown and the original even worth playing after playing lifeline? I can't stop playing lifeline.

Also do followers ever shoot? Even though my follower has a .50 caliber sniper rifle or a sub machinegun they'd rather use a riot baton.

Breakdown is what the game should have been, since you've played before just rush the first few levels of it. I'm not a huge fan of the original storyline, but it was good for showing new people the ropes.

I can't remember a follower even shooting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Followers will shoot only if you shoot first. Makes sure they don't end up aggro-ing a town's worth of zombies unless you want to.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I wish there was a way to directly assign a community member to the watchtower. I have a core group that I'm leveling up to take on additional breakdown levels, but numerous people I'll never play as. It'd be nice to equip one with a grenade launcher in the tower and have them be my mortarman.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Lifeline is extremely frustrating. Followers are a hindrance. They never shoot outside the base and die easily. Inside the base they aren't very useful either. This game really feels like it needs co-op...

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The key to surviving Lifeline is to equip as many people as you can with grenade launchers. Since AI controlled characters have infinite ammo, during sieges you can practically sit back and watch the fireworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Now it's just downright frustrating in the fact that it's painfully short and small. I wouldn't mind the constant "extract now" looming over my head, which is something to mind, if the world wasn't so god drat small.

There's way to much content for it to be a 6 hour a playthrough game.

• Locked thread