Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, you'd have to let a lot less of the little things go with just a warning.

Why? I've always been under the impression that police are absolutely allowed to use their discretion in whether to go after someone as much as they can or not. There are cities that formally track the warnings you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Woozy posted:

Of course there isn't.

One could argue plausibly (although I'm not doing so and personally think cameras are a great idea) that the videos would subject officers to personal, extra-judicial retaliation for lawful (even if ugly) uses of force, especially when taken out of context.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Cease to Hope posted:

Here's the Post-Dispatch on Johnson's role in de-escalating things. Obvious stuff now, but something to link later I guess.

Whatever you do, don't read the comments. :negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a single reasonable argument against police having cameras on them at all times? All I've ever heard is grunts about "Well, makes our job harder" and vague suggestions about danger and that's it.

There was one guy saying that it would interfere with his privacy on the job, like if he was eating lunch with a coworker while discussing his divorce, the officers reviewing the tapes would then go into crazy gossip mode.

Most people thought that was pretty ridiculous, like if you have experience with HIPAA, you'd know that you'd be in deep poo poo for that.

In short, police culture is so unprofessional that officers can't trust their coworkers to handle sensitive info.

I guess it doesn't sound insane from the inside.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KernelSlanders posted:

One could argue plausibly (although I'm not doing so and personally think cameras are a great idea) that the videos would subject officers to personal, extra-judicial retaliation for lawful (even if ugly) uses of force, especially when taken out of context.

I suppose, but all it would take to fix that would be to show the entire video of the incident right?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zen death robot posted:

:unsmigghh: Hahaha eat it you corrupt motherfuckers. I voted against most of you fucks anyway!

This guy should be keeping his head down and mouth shut out of sheer embarrassment, and instead he's pouting because the governor took away his army men and told him to sit in a corner.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was listening to Fox News on my SiriusXM radio on my way home. It was during the show "The Five" and I was amazed at how two of the hosts could not believe that Obama would make a statement and how he blamed the entire thing on the police. Several also complained about how he used the term "excessive force" when the police could have used much harsher force. Also, they complained about how Reggie Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NBP were all coming here to be race agitators and to distract from the "real issue".

It hurt my soul to hear all of that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Apparently mccullochs dad was a cop and got killed in the line of duty.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was listening to Fox News on my SiriusXM radio on my way home. It was during the show "The Five" and I was amazed at how two of the hosts could not believe that Obama would make a statement and how he blamed the entire thing on the police. Several also complained about how he used the term "excessive force" when the police could have used much harsher force. Also, they complained about how Reggie Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NBP were all coming here to be race agitators and to distract from the "real issue".

Problem: I listened to Fox News and got angry.
Solution: Do not listen to Fox News.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

zen death robot posted:

hosed up part of Bob McCulloch ripping Jay Nixon up like that is that they're both Democrats.

lmao @ the idea the democrats are a solid block that look out for each other (especially in the south)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Job Truniht posted:

Whatever you do, don't read the comments. :negative:

What none of the news coverage mentions is that the portion of the population around here that isn't black, is largely horrible, redneck hoosiers.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I love the idea that excessive force isn't excessive if there are levels above it. Like, oh poo poo, that cop beat me in the head with a nightstick, but hey he didn't taze 50 times so it's not excessive force!

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

the posted:

Has nothing to do with black people

Has everything to do with "we have billions of dollars in old war equipment from the Iraq war just sitting in hangars and small towns have billions of dollars in drug money that they need to spend on stuff."

Capitalism.

Not entirely.

quote:

Military weaponry makes a bad situation much worse, but the core problem is still police forces that have nothing but contempt for the populations they're supposed to "protect and serve." By all means criticize the hardware -- but the real problem isn't going to go away if the use of that hardware is dialed back, because cops will treat civilians they despise with contempt using whatever's at hand. And if Paul's fellow libertarians get us talking almost exclusively about gear and government, then they'll have successfully diverted the discussion onto their turf, for their ends. We mustn't let that happen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

"Excessive Force" doesn't mean you used "Maximum Force" it means you used more than required, which is quite obvious.

I'm curious what the "real issue" is and why a group of national black leaders doesn't have anything to do with this supposed "real issue."

This does go back to the whole "it doesn't matter what Obama says, they'll find a way to turn it against him" thing that was discussed earlier today though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
People are lining up their cars to go through the half mile long strip of people partying. Drive by celebrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fknlo posted:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of people calling for the demilitarization of the police who also think that they as private citizens need or should have access to all of that same equipment? If the police don't need military grade gear why do you?

It's not about the "cops should never have it" and more "the cops should stop hauling it out every time an officer thinks he'll get a splinter knocking on the door to serve a warrant." I would certainly love to have all of their gear for myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't respond to someone shouting F-bombs at my door by throwing on a plate carrier, Kevlar helmet, and an AR-15 with 200 rounds and start painting him with a laser pointer hanging off the barrel.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not about the "cops should never have it" and more "the cops should stop hauling it out every time an officer thinks he'll get a splinter knocking on the door to serve a warrant." I would certainly love to have all of their gear for myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't respond to someone shouting F-bombs at my door by throwing on a plate carrier, Kevlar helmet, and an AR-15 with 200 rounds and start painting him with a laser pointer hanging off the barrel.

While reserving the right to, without consequence, kill his dog, any innocent bystanders or people you might simply mistake for the man shouting at your door, those peoples' dogs, etc.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except that it's more or less given away. The federal government isn't making any appreciable money off these transfers.

The conspiracy theory is that Climate Change is the real deal, thus they are preparing to put down any unrest. I am not sure who "they" are, but I think the government is funding most of the research, so it would be in the best position to know.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

I suppose, but all it would take to fix that would be to show the entire video of the incident right?

Well, yes. Those videos of the people getting thrown off the NJT train is a great example. If you're watching the just the last 30 seconds, it's like why are the cops roughing them up? But if you see the whole six minutes, oh, they told them several times that they had to leave the train and why, eventually said that if they didn't comply they would be physically removed, then physically removed one of them, the other one punched the cop in the head, the first one jumped back on and bit one of the cops, etc.

But even that aside, the use of force is ugly. There are plenty of times when even in context, police using force legitimately (or legally, I don't want to get into a debate about whether the state's monopoly of violence is legitimate) it's really ugly looking.

Although again, I support cameras, and I think the lapel cameras can give context to the ugly take-down at the end of it, or to prosecute an officer if it was legit abuse. Both of those things are positives.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

The Last Word on MSNBC's having another interview, this time of a bystander to the Michael Brown shooting. @trymainelee is summarizing it on Twitter.

edit: Part of the crowd at Ferguson is chanting "What's his name?"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rollofthedice posted:

Holy poo poo it's a loving clusterfuck
Police are pushing and crowding the protestors at NYC, blocked off sidewalk and pedestrian traffic. Riot sticks out.

though I assume this is probably NYC police standard procedure?
Edit: now they're all about to be arrested

Sounds like a standard NYPD/public interface to me.
(Knock Your Punk rear end Down.)

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Sounds like a standard NYPD/public interface to me.
(Knock Your Punk rear end Down.)

I've never been to NYC, so I wouldn't know firsthand. Not surprised, though.

Edit: shots fired at Ferguson, I think. Crowd freaked out at the Youtube stream I'm viewing nvm just fireworks

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Welp someone finally started shooting.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, yes. Those videos of the people getting thrown off the NJT train is a great example. If you're watching the just the last 30 seconds, it's like why are the cops roughing them up? But if you see the whole six minutes, oh, they told them several times that they had to leave the train and why, eventually said that if they didn't comply they would be physically removed, then physically removed one of them, the other one punched the cop in the head, the first one jumped back on and bit one of the cops, etc.

But even that aside, the use of force is ugly. There are plenty of times when even in context, police using force legitimately (or legally, I don't want to get into a debate about whether the state's monopoly of violence is legitimate) it's really ugly looking.

Although again, I support cameras, and I think the lapel cameras can give context to the ugly take-down at the end of it, or to prosecute an officer if it was legit abuse. Both of those things are positives.

I feel like for a year if it gets implemented we'd get :qq: The President is punishing the police for doing their jobs, what is this country coming to!? :qq: and then the obvious good cameras do will drown it out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Magres posted:

Why? I've always been under the impression that police are absolutely allowed to use their discretion in whether to go after someone as much as they can or not. There are cities that formally track the warnings you get.

:ssh: When you 'use your discretion' with 100 white folks to every black folk, it tends to look bad on camera.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

zen death robot posted:

On CNN Jack Tapper almost poo poo himself when someone popped off fireworks.

Oh they were fireworks? poo poo

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Putting cameras on every police officer sounds great to me except for the part where it's probably really expensive :bahgawd:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I want pictures of jack tapper losing his poo poo

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It's hard not to imagine Neo Duckburg being a big shaggy dog partying it up at the protest.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So the same Prosecutor who is saying that bringing in the MHP was illegal is also investigating the killing?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Putting cameras on every police officer sounds great to me except for the part where it's probably really expensive :bahgawd:

Cameras are pretty cheap these days, and with SD storage dropping you really just need to figure out batteries and charging.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's hard not to imagine Neo Duckburg being a big shaggy dog partying it up at the protest.

the coolest dog

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Even with a government markup, you can buy a fucklot of hardened cameras and cloud backup for the cost of the mx on a "Free" MRAP. Or for the cost of one jury award when you've got the video on your side (and can lose the tape if it isn't on your side)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ALERT: there is a protest dog and he looks sort of like the one from Greece.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Neo Duckberg posted:

ALERT: there is a protest dog and he looks sort of like the one from Greece.

Good dog.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I am picturing a chill white guy with big black dreads.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chairface posted:

While reserving the right to, without consequence, kill his dog, any innocent bystanders or people you might simply mistake for the man shouting at your door, those peoples' dogs, etc.

Exactly. I haven't seen anyone actually saying that the police needs to have all of their SWAT gear revoked and should call in the National Guard whenever something more severe than a mugging at knifepoint happens. The desire for the de-militarization of the police is about restricting the cops to hauling out the Level III armor, AR-15s, and mine-resistant APCs when they're actually required, as well as stopping the no-knock SWAT raids for non-violent crimes that often target the wrong people, harm bystanders, or fail to acquire evidence. Not to mention that we've attempted to criminalize fighting back against the SWAT even when they fail to identify themselves properly, leading officers to face no punishment when they bust the wrong house and gun down someone who mistakes them for burglars and shoots at them, or shoots a dog that wasn't attacking them (or was attacking them because it correctly thought they were a threat).

Also, a desire to stop giving heavy equipment to the Department of Agriculture and other departments that don't need to be sending paramilitary squads under their own command to conduct raids.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Regarding McCulloch, me thinks his office's phones and email are going to get hammered after his reprehensible defense of police brutality. Here's his site for anyone who wants in: http://stlouiscopa.com/

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, a desire to stop giving heavy equipment to the Department of Agriculture and other departments that don't need to be sending paramilitary squads under their own command to conduct raids.

How will they prosecute the un-papered pepper pickers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

chitoryu12 posted:

The desire for the de-militarization of the police is about restricting the cops to hauling out the Level III armor, AR-15s, and mine-resistant APCs when they're actually required, as well as stopping the no-knock SWAT raids for non-violent crimes that often target the wrong people, harm bystanders, or fail to acquire evidence.

The extreme degree to which this has gone out of control can not be overstated. There's a recent Economist article that mentions heavily armed SWAT teams raiding barber shops, with people only ending up being charged with barbering without a license.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21599349-americas-police-have-become-too-militarised-cops-or-soldiers

• Locked thread