Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deaders posted:

Try explaining to a 4 year old why there is no picture at all to be seen on the back of the camera...

INSIDE the camera.. it's so simple!

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"And we just have to wait a week to get it back to see if the photos turned out OK!"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Second issue - spending a solid 5 minutes trying to work out why I couldn't reset the +4 EV exposure compensation and having to google how to do it.

I kept having this issue after I swapped to back button focus until I realized that my exposure lock button no longer worked the way it did before. The new default is the shutter half down is now exposure lock and the back wheel adjusts EV, but NOT the same EV as the EV button on the top (since you can't zero it back that way). The Exposure lock button on the back now needs to be held down rather than just tapped to lock, which is probably another setting I could fix but whatever because half shutter for exposure lock beats half shutter for focus.

Cameras, man.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Which lens/body combination has the best light sensitivity that the human race has ever produced?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KinkyJohn posted:

Which lens/body combination has the best light sensitivity that the human race has ever produced?

For commercially available stuff probably the D4S but I don't know which lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

KinkyJohn posted:

Peep this poo poo right here:

F/0.95 and 4x5 inches of fury.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
There's not enough '-ar' at the end of that to be a true pro lens.

It's a pretty hard question to answer without a bunch of caveats because something like this:

http://www.photonis.com/en/ism/64-hybrid-photo-diodes.html

has single-photon hit resolution with 1kilopixel. They also have electrostatic focusing, so no need for pesky moving parts (just a 20kilovolt power supply). Look at this creamy bokeh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

StarkingBarfish posted:

There's not enough '-ar' at the end of that to be a true pro lens.

It's a pretty hard question to answer without a bunch of caveats because something like this:

http://www.photonis.com/en/ism/64-hybrid-photo-diodes.html

has single-photon hit resolution with 1kilopixel. They also have electrostatic focusing, so no need for pesky moving parts (just a 20kilovolt power supply). Look at this creamy bokeh:

Gonna use that for dick pix.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

For commercially available stuff probably the D4S but I don't know which lens.

For commercially available my guess would actually be the Sony A7S and the Leica Noctilux.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah the A7s has a native ISO of 3200 and throwing on some kind of f/0.95 lens is gonna make that thing see in pitch black plus starlight I think.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Speaking of low light (sorta?) my Sigma 50mm 1.4 has kind of given up - it's not focusing well at all, and I think there's something inside the elements. As I usually do band/live music photos, I need something 50mm-ish (it's going to be used on a 5D Mark 2) and low aperture; I do enjoy shooting with it wide open occasionally, but usually it sits at 1.8 or 2. Any recommendations for something that's going to be sharp wide open? Is it worth getting a Nikon 50mm 1.4 and converter?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbUgNiHfXM

The sensor on the Sony A7s is loving amazing. Literally a game-changer for documentary stuff.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7S is kind of a victim of its own strength. You can take acceptable photos at 102400 or even 204800 but then red sensor noise starts showing up on the edges of the photos. Even with slower exposures at 51200 around 1/15 it starts showing up. This was never an issue back when 12800 was the dizzying height of ISO capability. It's something that camera manufacturers are going to have to start thinking about as sensors like these become more standard.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

I, Butthole posted:

Speaking of low light (sorta?) my Sigma 50mm 1.4 has kind of given up - it's not focusing well at all, and I think there's something inside the elements. As I usually do band/live music photos, I need something 50mm-ish (it's going to be used on a 5D Mark 2) and low aperture; I do enjoy shooting with it wide open occasionally, but usually it sits at 1.8 or 2. Any recommendations for something that's going to be sharp wide open? Is it worth getting a Nikon 50mm 1.4 and converter?

Not really sure why you're considering getting a Nikon lens on a Canon body as a solution, especially if autofocus is a consideration. If you want to pony up the cash, the Sigma 50 1.4 Art is one of the sharpest 50's out there.

My actual recommendation though is to probably send your current Sigma lens (I'm assuming it's the EX version) to Sigma to get it fixed. It'll probably be the cheapest and maybe even free option. Sigma warranty is like 7 years here in Canada, not too sure about everywhere else.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

HPL posted:

The A7S is kind of a victim of its own strength. You can take acceptable photos at 102400 or even 204800 but then red sensor noise starts showing up on the edges of the photos. Even with slower exposures at 51200 around 1/15 it starts showing up. This was never an issue back when 12800 was the dizzying height of ISO capability. It's something that camera manufacturers are going to have to start thinking about as sensors like these become more standard.

I'd say the vast majority of A7s purchasers are using it for video so this doesn't really apply as much.

Also anyone looking to seriously shoot with this camera is probably going to own a beefy IR ND.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Did you register your lens with Sigma? It gets you a ridiculous warranty last time I checked.

Otherwise just send it in to get fixed, or upgrade to the Art.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Thread title updated.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

my Sigma 50mm 1.4 has kind of given up

I feel you on that one, I brought mine a few months before the ART one was announced and it's had some focusing issues from the get go however It's grey so I'm kind of hosed in that regard, when it does focus it's pretty amazing though but I have to keep it at 1.6-2

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you register your lens with Sigma? It gets you a ridiculous warranty last time I checked.

Otherwise just send it in to get fixed, or upgrade to the Art.

I didn't register, as I was working in a camera store when I bought it five-ish years ago and was a dumb idiot who didn't think about the advice I gave all customers. I might give their Australian re-seller a ring.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

I, Butthole posted:

I didn't register, as I was working in a camera store when I bought it five-ish years ago and was a dumb idiot who didn't think about the advice I gave all customers. I might give their Australian re-seller a ring.

If that's C.R. Kennedy then they're really solid in my experience, though that'll change state by state.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I dont know how reliable https://www.canonrumors.com is, but that rumored Canon 11-24mm L lens for FF sounds very interesting!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

That aperture seems overkill for a WA lens. I'd get a Sigma 12-24 and save the cash.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ineptitude posted:

I dont know how reliable https://www.canonrumors.com is, but that rumored Canon 11-24mm L lens for FF sounds very interesting!

CR1 basically means the rumor is unreliable.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Bubbacub posted:

That aperture seems overkill for a WA lens. I'd get a Sigma 12-24 and save the cash.

That doesn't work on FF though?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

CR1 basically means the rumor is unreliable.

Wonder if it is possible to make a 11-24 for FF. Maybe the rumored $2800 price is due to that thing having a ridiculous amount of glass.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sig has a 12-24 that does cover EF.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
I bought a knockoff black rapid strap from eBay for $7. What's the worst that can happen?

Strap in question: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Quick-Rapid-...34811af7&_uhb=1

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I got something similar 2-3 years ago and its great. Mine actually has a plate that offsets the strap attachment hole so the camera hangs better, and you can still screw a tripod adapter plate onto it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

smooth.operator posted:

I bought a knockoff black rapid strap from eBay for $7. What's the worst that can happen?

I like how they put a yellow K on it instead of an R to really complete the knockoff. It's like Goach purses

It's your gear, but I wouldn't trust my camera to a knockoffs swivel clasp - you should probably throw some kind of safety tether on there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

smooth.operator posted:

It could be made of lead and asbestos and contain millions of nanobots that will infect your brain and force you to start selling national secrets to the Chinese.

Also you should probably keep a close eye on stress points.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I use a cheap chinese wrist strap with my camera, I just keep an eye on the string part and the stitches holding the comfy part to the string part. It'll also help if you keep the camera from just floating on the strap when it's not in your hand.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I have that same strap and it works great. The only things I did was add a key ring ring to link 2 sections that have a metal link near the mount that might break as a failsafe. Someone posted it in the Amazon comments. The other was add another strap under the arm to keep it from riding up on my neck.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of black rapid straps, how's that Yeti model? It looks useful for stuff like wedding photography when you have to carry two bodies simultaneously, while not completely looking like a cyborg.

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 15, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I have a Yeti (the BR guys gave me one for free last year to replace my aging RS-5) and it indeed lets you do two cameras easily while looking like less of a dork/cyborg. I don't generally use the twin-camera attachment but it is nice to have.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

rawrr posted:

I got something similar 2-3 years ago and its great. Mine actually has a plate that offsets the strap attachment hole so the camera hangs better, and you can still screw a tripod adapter plate onto it.

I saw that one too but thought it would get in the way if I took off the strap and wanted to lay the camera down somewhere.

Fingers McGee posted:

I have that same strap and it works great. The only things I did was add a key ring ring to link 2 sections that have a metal link near the mount that might break as a failsafe. Someone posted it in the Amazon comments. The other was add another strap under the arm to keep it from riding up on my neck.

My worry was the thread unscrewing and my camera dropping to the ground. I guess I'll look into this too :ohdear:

I'm optimistic about the purchase. For $7 why not, right?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

smooth.operator posted:

My worry was the thread unscrewing and my camera dropping to the ground. I guess I'll look into this too :ohdear:

I'm optimistic about the purchase. For $7 why not, right?

The thread unscrewing from the tripod mount on the camera? Just check that it's tight whenever you put the strap on to go out. It would take a lot of turns to unscrew itself, and it's highly unlikely to happen in one day of shooting.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My wife shoots weddings occasionally but we also like to take nature/wildlife photos while we hike. Is the BR strap something that is also good for hiking? Or is there something more specialized/better for that?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

khysanth posted:

My wife shoots weddings occasionally but we also like to take nature/wildlife photos while we hike. Is the BR strap something that is also good for hiking? Or is there something more specialized/better for that?

Love mine. Best way to carry around a camera all day, whether that is a hike or a wedding or disneyworld. One with the underarm strap works best for anytime you'll be moving more vigorously (like hiking) to keep it riding up onto your neck.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Is there any reason to go with the 35MM Sigma over the 24-105MM? I have never owned a zoom lens before and I would be selling my 24MM Canon to get this lens. I have the 24-105MM range pretty well covered by primes but if I bought the 35MM that would be my widest lens (following the sale of the 24). Any recommendations?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

35mm is the best focal length and the sig art is the best 35.

But really you should at least get a slow zoom for flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'd choose the 35mm IS over the Sigma ART any day.