Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"To punish and enslave" was a bit too on the nose for the police huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cardboard Box A posted:

"To punish and enslave" was a bit too on the nose for the police huh?

I really liked how, in the first film, that clearly relates to the drugged-up cop who accuses Sam of popping dog medicine. For a supposedly jingoistic super-idiot, Bay really hates cops.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As far as I can tell the "libertarians" calling for small government are often the same ones shouting "support our troops". I think he was hilighting a very particular form of cognitive dissonance that parts of American culture tries very hard to ignore.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

As far as I can tell the "libertarians" calling for small government are often the same ones shouting "support our troops". I think he was hilighting a very particular form of cognitive dissonance that parts of American culture tries very hard to ignore.

It's kind of a mainstay of his films
"You two motherfuckers need Jesus. Cover your ears babies"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If you remember back to the first Transformer we ever see, Blackout (the helicopter) is presented as a ghost of those killed in action. The disguise doesn't exactly fool anyone; everyone's on guard because it's this uncanny copy that's silently appeared.

Bay cuts to a close-up of the emotionless holographic pilot, and his prominent visor evokes the T-1000's mirrored shades. In a straightforward way, the Decepticons (initially) represent the US military machine as this autonomous monster.

The problem is, of course, that Optimus is no different - except that he couches it in rhetoric.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I hope we eventually get Terry's take on Age of Extinction. But I guess that probably won't happen until it's released to DVD?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

TERRY VAN FELEDAY there is a freelance reporter who has written a bunch of stuff on Wired who wants to get in contact with you but you don't have PM. Can you please send me a message on goonsubtextgame@gmail.com and I will send you a gift certificate for PM on SA. PLEASE?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Today, someone told me that I simply had to check out this awesome Transformers analysis that made everything make sense and, get this, the Autobots are the real villains...

That .pdf has really gotten around the place.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fat Lou posted:

TERRY VAN FELEDAY there is a freelance reporter who has written a bunch of stuff on Wired who wants to get in contact with you but you don't have PM. Can you please send me a message on goonsubtextgame@gmail.com and I will send you a gift certificate for PM on SA. PLEASE?

Wanna read about this thread on Wired so bad.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

taiyoko posted:

I hope we eventually get Terry's take on Age of Extinction. But I guess that probably won't happen until it's released to DVD?

You can expect it after his next stay in a psych ward is over.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

James Hardon posted:

Turns out Terry is actually Michael Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rMy1iA268

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

James Hardon posted:

Awww, really? I didn't know watching the first three so meticulously had been so rough on him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Terry's a woman.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Glad we got that straightened out

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Terry's a woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

Glad we got that straightened out

If you're going to slander someone, get your facts straight.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you're going to slander someone, get your facts straight.

These two things don't go together, but I get the point your making.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bay would make an amazing Batman Beyond movie.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bay would make an amazing Batman Beyond movie.

It really would be so much fun, because Terry McGuinness straight up murders criminals (and the Not-Fantastic-Four) and gives zero shits about it, and Bruce has finally reached the point where he also no longer cares about criminals getting killed.

Except Mr. Freeze, he had a bad time of it and even Batman feels bad about it.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 3, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I sincerely hope Terry sees the J. Liebesman TMNT and writes lengthy posts about it, because Megan Fox's character is basically a walking essay against the image that has been created about her by film culture.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
Isn't Megan Fox a MILF now?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently this mysterious bystander was in the final battle scene.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, that's incredibly bizarre. Don't suppose there's any idea who played Mystery Exploding Suit Guy?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That's oddly gory.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

Apparently this mysterious bystander was in the final battle scene.

What the gently caress? How do I not remember this at all? :psyduck:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In related news, Peter Cullen wants Bay to return as director:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Transformers-Star-Actually-Wants-Michael-Bay-Direct-Transformers-5-67362.html

Peter Cullen posted:

"I have a great deal of respect for him. He generates a great deal of excitement and energy. He's really a hands-on director. My son is a stunt man and worked in Chicago doing a lot of the driving sequences...he said he's a very, very diligent, hands-on guy. He creates a great deal of energy and puts everybody on their toes. I would certainly miss him. I think he's brilliant, his mind is unbelievable. "

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I also want Bay to return.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I also want Bay to return.

Same. I'd also like him to take on more franchises but first he should do Bad Boys 3

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Milky Moor posted:

Well, that's incredibly bizarre. Don't suppose there's any idea who played Mystery Exploding Suit Guy?

Probably just an easter egg cameo of someone, like Micheal Bay being flicked into a car by Megatron in the first Transformers movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well it is Peter Cullen's most interesting role.

PriorMarcus posted:

That's oddly gory.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What are they from?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Pacman? :confused:

I too would like Bay to return, no one else does explosions and stupid movies like him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

What are they from?

The first gif is from Captain America: The First Avenger. The other one is from Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The first gif is from Captain America: The First Avenger. The other one is from Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2.

Oh, I thought that's what the first one was from but it's really zoomed in.

Never seen the last Twilight. Is it from the big dream fight?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PriorMarcus posted:

Never seen the last Twilight. Is it from the big dream fight?
Yes. It's really amazing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is the Bluray out already? It's not yet here in Asia when I checked last week.

Here's a gif I found of the Brony Rifle.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

In case it wasn't mentioned, it's not the first pony appearance in TF. I believe in the first film, pre-friendship is magic, a focal little girl was carrying one.

Michael Bay has things to say about MLP (even before they became a thing again). He's saying, MLP is the girl's version of transformers, but furthermore there is no real difference except with men, the cartoon character changes into a gun.

Also holy poo poo that object track is the worst thing I've ever seen. I made stupid internet poo poo in my late teens that looks better than that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

Also holy poo poo that object track is the worst thing I've ever seen. I made stupid internet poo poo in my late teens that looks better than that

That's about the only complaint I had with T4. The way Galvatron and the human-made transformers transform have no weight to it. Like the whole break down the re-form is a cool idea but when its literally a bunch of floating polygons it looks kinda stupid. If the car "shattered" as it changed shaped to give it this sense that the transformation is forced and painful I could be a lot more forgiving of some of the shoddy effect tracking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

I'm more shocked how awful some of the effects work were in this film. Really strange.

Even the stuff on the wire bridge looked off. I swore I saw some clipping there, but it could've been my eyes tricking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

why is there a Twinkie growing out of this guys finger?