Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trip Report: Chaos

The Smart Choke doesn't work, if it does work it is so small that in repeated tests I couldn't tell the difference.

It is a Thanatos with 2 less bullets and .5 more Pellet Spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The TR ES vehicle weapons have serious shortcomings in a harasser context.

The Vulcan is utterly outclassed by Sarons and Enforcers in harasser duels and the Marauder has too poo poo accuracy to even contemplate it. I haven't fought a Canrasser in a Harasser since the update so no comment.

(tbh, the Saron is probably too effective against harassers period; its a murder machine having used it both ways.)

i think the vulcan has a large penalty to light armor or something since it struggles against flashes even.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Vulcan is utterly outclassed by Sarons and Enforcers in harasser duels and the Marauder has too poo poo accuracy to even contemplate it. I haven't fought a Canrasser in a Harasser since the update so no comment.

(tbh, the Saron is probably too effective against harassers period; its a murder machine having used it both ways.)

i think the vulcan has a large penalty to light armor or something since it struggles against flashes even.

Right now the Canister is the most effective Anti-Harasser weapon.

:soe:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

TR ES secondaries are also next to useless on the prowler as well. Barring certain very specific niche situations you're pretty much never going to do better using a vulcan/marauder than an NS alternative like a halberd or kobalt.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

Right now the Canister is the most effective Anti-Harasser weapon.

:soe:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I put both of these quotes into a bottle, sent that bottle back in time to myself one year ago, and all I got back was the same bottle full of human excrement and a hastily scrawled note saying, "gently caress YOU"

Aaod
May 29, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

I was being sarcastic. :ssh:

I figured but felt the need to be snarky.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The best and most hilarious anti-harasser weapon will continue to be bodyslamming them with sunderers. :colbert:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Erata posted:

The best and most hilarious anti-harasser weapon will continue to be bodyslamming them with sunderers. :colbert:
Galaxy Pancake :smugbert:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lassitude posted:

TR ES secondaries are also next to useless on the prowler as well. Barring certain very specific niche situations you're pretty much never going to do better using a vulcan/marauder than an NS alternative like a halberd or kobalt.

Stealth Prowler + Vulcan = dead armor.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Decided to try this on a whim.

Outside of Medic or engineer i cant contribute anything and got two kill out of 3 hours of gameplay. (reached rank 7) I feel like i'm a drowsy marmot while the enemy (whatever factions i'm fighting) are invisible one shot killers. In regular infantry time to kill me is less than 2 seconds for the enemy and loving forever for me while i hose them with heavy machine gun, red cross-hair marking hits.

In understand there is a learning curve to everything but is this game "lightning reflexes and hawk eyes or dont bother" type of game play all the time ? Do certs eventually help or is everything just "sidegrade" trading one stats for another ?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

aleksendr posted:

Outside of Medic or engineer i cant contribute anything and got two kill out of 3 hours of gameplay. (reached rank 7) I feel like i'm a drowsy marmot while the enemy (whatever factions i'm fighting) are invisible one shot killers. In regular infantry time to kill me is less than 2 seconds for the enemy and loving forever for me while i hose them with heavy machine gun, red cross-hair marking hits.

In understand there is a learning curve to everything but is this game "lightning reflexes and hawk eyes or dont bother" type of game play all the time ? Do certs eventually help or is everything just "sidegrade" trading one stats for another ?

Certs DO help, but really people just know the lay of the land adn the mechanics better. Once you understand the game you can kill people just fine with a BR0 character and a starting gun.

Quick question: is your big issue that you're still having trouble recognizing soldiers? One problem I've noticed myself having in most modern shooters (ESPECIALLY the Battlefield series) is that graphics have advanced far enough that people actually can look like they're part of the scenery until your brain adjusts to pick up on them. I'm used to the old days of Quake or even TF2 where the characters popped out of the scenery. I suggest using an IRNV scope to help get around this, primarily on a closer quarters gun (carbine, or SMG/Shotgun if you've got money), at least until your brain starts recognizing the cues that identify players. Then you'll just have to start identifying which players are on your team. Then start working which ones are friendly and not a hazard to be around.

Oh, and loving play with a group of people in voice chat. I suggest getting on Emerald server and playing with either GOKU or GOON. In PS2 teamwork is not only recommended, but it's pretty much mandatory if you want to have any sort of fun.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

aleksendr posted:

You're just at an information disadvantage. Try sticking to your team like glue and never looking in the same direction for more than a few moments. Situational awareness and map knowledge are more important than knowing how to aim, so just keep your head on a swivel and try to get used to base layouts. When in doubt, let your teammates go first, especially if you're playing Medic.

Dunno what faction you're playing, but stock guns are basically even competition with anything you could unlock. I can tell you if you're playing NC, the stock LMG takes some getting used to but is extremely good once you do. Other than that one, generally speaking you shouldn't be holding down the trigger for more than 5-6 shots unless you're very close to your target. There's lots of cert guides already posted but outside of those let me just suggest that whatever your favorite class is, get a few ranks of Flak Armor on it. Just 61 certs for level 3 will stop you from getting blown the gently caress up all the time. Getting a 2x Magnification Reflex Optic for your stock guns is also only 5 certs, and it can be very helpful if you don't like the iron sights on your gun. If you're playing VS or TR, a foregrip can help with the "rattle" of their horizontal recoil, allowing you to fire more accurately at range. NC guns don't have this as badly, though. Save this for later, too, because 100 certs is a lot to pay for something so marginal.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 15, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Heaven Spacey posted:

You're just at an information disadvantage.

This. You have no idea where people spawn or where they are likely to spawn from. Or what the flanking routes are. Or when/how/if you should engage or just get to cover. This game is like 30% actually being able to put bullets in people, the rest is knowing how to do it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
What has been said, a lot of the game is knowing the map – a solo player is only useful if they know the terrain and how to use it to their advantage, otherwise you’re just feeding people certs. Being able to read your mini-map also turns the average pleb from farmable material into a threat.

Find a group to play with and get on their VOIP - learn from them. If you’re playing on Briggs I’d be happy to point you in the right direction, but outside of Briggs I really have NFI you’d have to speak to somebody here, all I know about the other serves is they are hilariously farmable.

Also certs are really only useful for upgrading your abilities, utility slots and vehicles. Generally speaking the base weapons without attachments are all very solid and often better than their more situational alternatives.

EDIT: also if you want to hurt things go with the HA and stick to the default shield, it’s a beast. All the default LMGs are good.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Also, remember to never play fair in this game. That doesn't mean hacking or exploiting glitches because then you'll get banned and we'll laugh at you, but learn to be an underhanded rear end in a top hat in your playing. Attack from weird angles, throw grenades all the time, gang up on single players, letting dumb pubbies go in first and then cleaning up after they all die horribly, and so forth. The way hit detection and lag works means that most "fair" gunfights boil down to a hell of a lot of luck unless you're a chain-headshotting sperglord (and even then you'll have lots of times when multiple shots render at once on your side, killing you instantly).

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, remember to never play fair in this game. That doesn't mean hacking or exploiting glitches because then you'll get banned and we'll laugh at you, but learn to be an underhanded rear end in a top hat in your playing. Attack from weird angles, throw grenades all the time, gang up on single players, letting dumb pubbies go in first and then cleaning up after they all die horribly, and so forth. The way hit detection and lag works means that most "fair" gunfights boil down to a hell of a lot of luck unless you're a chain-headshotting sperglord (and even then you'll have lots of times when multiple shots render at once on your side, killing you instantly).

So be good at video games, got ya.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

That, and use lock-ons.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Erata posted:

I haven't found anything that isn't fun to ram with my sundy. The best targets are lightnings for the occasional times where you break the games physics and they freak out and flip over. I also love seeing the turret on lightnings frantically spin around as they try to figure out what the hell just happened.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

aleksendr posted:

It's an 18 month old asymmetric game where people who've been playing a long time have better survivability through things they've certed up, weapons they've used lots, and maps they're used to. As a rank beginner you're gonna get stomped no matter what.

However, if you play with goons and manage to ignore the nasal voices going "get shrekt shitlords" and "saaaame" and similar on Mumble, then you'll get better pretty fast.

Also, TAP FIRE with LMGs.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Periphery posted:

I haven't found anything that isn't fun to ram with my sundy. The best targets are lightnings for the occasional times where you break the games physics and they freak out and flip over. I also love seeing the turret on lightnings frantically spin around as they try to figure out what the hell just happened.

Speaking of the physics freaking out, I once teamkilled a harasser when it T-boned my sundie, pushed me over a jagged mountain peak like we became frictionless, and upon landing, splattered both our vehicles. :classiclol:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Speaking of Canister chat, I gunned a canguard the other day around a Crossroads fight, and was pleasantly surprised how effective the thing was at plinking people from 1-200m+ away. The thing has very little drop and with the spread you're almost certain to hit with 1 pellet even at extreme range, making 1-clipping anyone within thermal range out of cover pretty trivial. It's also real good at blasting HA's who pop out of cover/up from behind a ridge to dumbfire launcher at you/general Light Assault protection. Is the non-AV vanguard dream real?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Speaking of Canister chat, I gunned a canguard the other day around a Crossroads fight, and was pleasantly surprised how effective the thing was at plinking people from 1-200m+ away. The thing has very little drop and with the spread you're almost certain to hit with 1 pellet even at extreme range, making 1-clipping anyone within thermal range out of cover pretty trivial. It's also real good at blasting HA's who pop out of cover/up from behind a ridge to dumbfire launcher at you/general Light Assault protection. Is the non-AV vanguard dream real?

I got to run around in a Canrasser last night and was shocked how little drop there was. Kept overcompensating. Turned out to be amazing for skeet-shooting flying LAs. It's still not good, but they managed to push it into the 'serviceable' category. Still needs another bump or two but it might not be the worst weapon in the game anymore.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I finally got to the last level of the Sunderer directives and the numbers are pretty big and it reset my roadkill, driver assist and gunner kill totals. Not worth it for a hardly different lumi. Vehicle directives are stupid.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I want the black camo but it's going to be a huge pain to aurax all the oddball guns

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

I have yet to aurax my regular beamer let alone a gold version of it...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It makes you immune to VS and is worthwhile for that reason alone. Finally the NC have a bullshit hide identity camo

NC: 1
VS: like 30

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Who is leading honk ops tonight? I'll be home and on ~8:30 EST

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

The main cannon is still total garbage against infantry even as HE, it can't get up to good farming locations like the magrider, and I still don't think the canister is actually "good". Unless they buff the canister to an absolutely ridiculous level, the Vanguard will never be a great AI vehicle.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It makes you immune to VS and is worthwhile for that reason alone. Finally the NC have a bullshit hide identity camo

NC: 1
VS: like 30

next time don't look back at sodom, you giant pillar of salt :allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Heaven Spacey posted:

You're just at an information disadvantage. Try sticking to your team like glue and never looking in the same direction for more than a few moments. Situational awareness and map knowledge are more important than knowing how to aim, so just keep your head on a swivel and try to get used to base layouts. When in doubt, let your teammates go first, especially if you're playing Medic.

Dunno what faction you're playing, but stock guns are basically even competition with anything you could unlock. I can tell you if you're playing NC, the stock LMG takes some getting used to but is extremely good once you do. Other than that one, generally speaking you shouldn't be holding down the trigger for more than 5-6 shots unless you're very close to your target. There's lots of cert guides already posted but outside of those let me just suggest that whatever your favorite class is, get a few ranks of Flak Armor on it. Just 61 certs for level 3 will stop you from getting blown the gently caress up all the time. Getting a 2x Magnification Reflex Optic for your stock guns is also only 5 certs, and it can be very helpful if you don't like the iron sights on your gun. If you're playing VS or TR, a foregrip can help with the "rattle" of their horizontal recoil, allowing you to fire more accurately at range. NC guns don't have this as badly, though. Save this for later, too, because 100 certs is a lot to pay for something so marginal.

Exception to this is if you're playing Medic on VS. The Pulsar is a wet fart that should be replaced immediately by either the Terminus, NS-11a, or H-V45. Every other starting weapon ranges from usable stock but amazing with attachments to starting off superb but become amazing with attachments.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Exception to this is if you're playing Medic on VS. The Pulsar is a wet fart that should be replaced immediately by either the Terminus, NS-11a, or H-V45. Every other starting weapon ranges from usable stock but amazing with attachments to starting off superb but become amazing with attachments.

Slug Thanatos! 100 certs to be a shotgun priest worthy of VS.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's always kinda pathetic when you realize the point is being capped by some shitlord with stalker cloak so you just break out your Rebel with a darklight flashlight and find them huddled in the corner like some scared kid, then you kill them :smith:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's always kinda pathetic when you realize the point is being capped by some shitlord with stalker cloak so you just break out your Rebel with a darklight flashlight and find them huddled in the corner like some scared kid, then you kill them :smith:

I love this. Those kinds of people are The Worst and it's such a lovely mechanic that you can cap a point while cloaked. Killing those cunts :feelsgood:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

Future immortal soldiers living in a post scarcity world armed with invisibility cloaks are scared kids? What are you talking about?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fart Car '97 posted:

And that's what EMPs are for. Throw them and loving book it, most likely scaring the hell out of the guy with the flashlight.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

I love this. Those kinds of people are The Worst and it's such a lovely mechanic that you can cap a point while cloaked. Killing those cunts :feelsgood:

I dunno, it's kind of fun during extreme off hours where there's few/no good fights. All about finding unusual spots to lurk in. Like Hide and Seek, except with shotguns.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I find the best stalker-busting is done with a flashlight attached to a shotgun :getin:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Man last night i was getting my welfare certs on my VS and NC dumped 48+ on about 14 VS in a tower, we were 18% and we held A for 10 minutes because they were all in air. We had 6 guys sitting by A killing prolly 15 NC who kept trying to get the point while the rest of us sat in the tower killing the air. Eventually NC spawned over 30 maxes to combat the 13 VS in the hex. You look at the minimap and its an unbroken line of maxes pouring in from their sundy, they had so many maxes they couldn't cap A for 40 seconds because they had no infantry.

PHX captures the best and they brag about it in yell hahahaha.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tempest_56 posted:

I dunno, it's kind of fun during extreme off hours where there's few/no good fights. All about finding unusual spots to lurk in. Like Hide and Seek, except with shotguns.

1v1 point contests can become pretty fun if you take it as a challenge to never kill the guy in the same way twice.

I mean, I've got Nanoweave 5 unlocked on the Heavy so I could just bullshit-win every fight thanks to the "lol what balance" factor, but it's a lot more fun to show him just how many drat corners there are to watch in even the smallest outpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

NihilCredo posted:

1v1 point contests can become pretty fun if you take it as a challenge to never kill the guy in the same way twice.

I mean, I've got Nanoweave 5 unlocked on the Heavy so I could just bullshit-win every fight thanks to the "lol what balance" factor, but it's a lot more fun to show him just how many drat corners there are to watch in even the smallest outpost.

SMG infiltrator is the best for loving with small groups of ghost cappers. Use cover and motion darts to stalk people, never use your cloak unless it's to lure people into mines. When people know there's an infiltrator hunting them they listen for the sound of the cloak, if you never cloak they'll never hear you sneaking up behind them.

• Locked thread