Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah it's a matter of waiting until DFHack is upgraded to v40.
I love heavily moddable games, and people have done some very cool things with DFHack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's telling of people's growing impatience that the official thread on Bay12 has descended into digital shamanism, with many trying to compile a working suite from a host of different github branches.

I got mine to compile, run and respond to the basic commands, but let it go when it crashed the game every time a creature died.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
While I do like DFHack, I do not like how some of their more major mods relies on it as an essential feature. It's about as stable as playing an unpatched Bethesda game on a console practically.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

necrotic posted:

I think that was fixed in 40.03? I know it was busted early on and only showed the current season no matter what you selected.

Thanks for the info. I keep meaning to upgrade, but the dorfs in my .40.02 fort (located over/under an aquifer in a haunted antarctic tundra) just refuse to die, and I can't bring myself to leave 'em.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
For now I've pastured the queen in the giant, engraved royal quarters filled with gem-encrusted silver furniture. I certainly don't plan on sacrificing her to Litast Goldenglow, God of Volcanoes. As an immortal who doesn't need to eat or drink and can't make demands she's pretty much the perfect noble. I'm just afraid she'll go berserk or melancholy.

e: And since when has the Outpost Liaison been a noble position?

Mygna fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 14, 2014

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Anecdotes from my first fortress in years:

1. Every siege has been repelled by their shock & horror upon seeing a rotting baby in a pond at the front of my fortress, which my dwarves have become desensitized to from having to pass it every time they go in and out of the fortress.

2. My best miner died when he tried to rescue another dwarf trapped behind some ice -- he dug out the ice, stepped onto the square where it was, and then spontaneously froze. The dwarf trapped behind the ice starved to death. Once spring came and the ice thawed, the dwarf who simultaneously discovered both bodies killed themselves.

3. I accidentally made a dwarf a hunter at the start of the fortress. When I checked up on him, he had 54 kills. I have not been making crossbows or bolts and am confused.

4. The elves haven't declared war yet even though I've slaughtered every caravan they've sent.

5. 20 soldier militia, every soldier has five war dogs. Gonna be a hell of a tantrum spiral. Puppies for everyone.

6. Somehow an entire dwarven caravan drowned themselves.

Not doing anything particularly interesting with this fortress since I haven't played in a while.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orphan babies seem remarkably durable now. They don't throw themselves down wells into ponds. People actually bring them food and water when they need it. Some of the little beggers actually live long enough to become children. :unsmith:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mygna posted:

For now I've pastured the queen in the giant, engraved royal quarters filled with gem-encrusted silver furniture. I certainly don't plan on sacrificing her to Litast Goldenglow, God of Volcanoes. As an immortal who doesn't need to eat or drink and can't make demands she's pretty much the perfect noble. I'm just afraid she'll go berserk or melancholy.

Based on what I've seen in my games, she'll just be chillin' forever.

The fact that you can pasture her is great, you can just make her sit on the throne for eternity. And have a position marked next to her and have a queensguard squad rotate who is standing watch in the throne room.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 14, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I reclaimed a fortress that was lost to a year two goblin invasion and somewhere deep down in the unexplored dark (where i never got to on the first try either) sections of the cave keep collapsing. What's down there? D:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'm tempted to laugh it off but giving and kindness? I don't want that to touch my dwarves. :ohdear:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

El Disco posted:

I'm tempted to laugh it off but giving and kindness? I don't want that to touch my dwarves. :ohdear:

Give it two lungfuls of magma, out of kindness.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

El Disco posted:

The Koboldiest Titan.

e; vvv Butterflies do flutter and Fluttershy's cutie mark is butterflies :tinfoil:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 15, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

El Disco posted:

Is this that Pony Fortress thing I heard about?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Nah, Titans tend to have mushy gooshy happy fun nature spheres.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Neurion posted:

Is this that Pony Fortress thing I heard about?

Oh no, just Masterwork. It ended up being "kind" enough to fly down to meet one of my hammerlords, and it "gave" my fort a poo poo-ton of meat and chitin.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have found a random house far away from the rest of town, and inside is a General and two soldiers. The soldiers are former adventuring companions to a now-deceased adventurer. I think it's kind of cool that they settle down like that.

Also, while I was adventuring, the elves apparently snuck into the dark tower of a demon who has killed nearly a hundred elves and a bronze colossus with his bare hands, and is responsible for decades of misery and oppression. They beheaded his law-giver and then fed him to beasts. :black101:

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:sigh: just had a llama fall 5 storeys down onto my miner who was currently digging a shaft to the murderpits, most of his bones are broken but he's getting treatment

:ohdear:

pray for Urist

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I got Masterwork running and decided to try a Kobold fort, at my wife's insistence. My kobolds started next to a river, and a crocodile instantly launched out of it like a missile and started massacring them and their millions of rats. Then a giant swarm of bog crawlers began to endlessly bite the poo poo out of everything. Everyone was crying, vomiting, and covered in blood. We were horrified and we couldn't stop laughing hysterically.

I like this mod.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mysterious forces mangled my dogs. Or maybe they just forgot how to walk:

There was no combat in the area. Or collapses. Or...anything. The second one actually had it twice, several weeks apart.

On the bright side, I solved my trees producing cave-ins by disabling cave-ins entirely. :v:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Did it happen on or near a ramp? For some reason ramps seem to generate weird accidents like people getting smashed by hauled furniture. I've seen it in adventure mode when a bunch of goblin civilians try to run down a ramp away from me. Some of them wind up mysteriously airborne.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I don't have a problem with that. I bet if you chased a bunch of people down a real life ramp that some would trip and become airborne. I have also seen wheelbarrow accidents on ramps/hills.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PublicOpinion posted:

Did it happen on or near a ramp? For some reason ramps seem to generate weird accidents like people getting smashed by hauled furniture. I've seen it in adventure mode when a bunch of goblin civilians try to run down a ramp away from me. Some of them wind up mysteriously airborne.
I had them chained near ramps outside, so that's probably it. Seems weird that nothing happened for four years of my fort's life, but that's DF for you.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
What's the deal with food? I haven't played in ages, mind, but I started up the other day and my stocks are just hella low - and it's only autumn of the first year. Are farms no longer sustainable? Or did I just start with too few plump helmet seeds?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wahad posted:

What's the deal with food? I haven't played in ages, mind, but I started up the other day and my stocks are just hella low - and it's only autumn of the first year. Are farms no longer sustainable? Or did I just start with too few plump helmet seeds?

It seems the same to me.

Make sure you disable cooking for plump helmets. Cooking doesn't produce a seed, so you soon run out of seeds and life sucks. Brewing or eating raw preserves the seed. Once you've got the seed from brewing it is safe to cook the wine.

The number of plants is directly related to the skill of the farmer who plants them. A newbie farmer will get one plant per seed, a very skilled one can get up to 5. Turn off "all dwarfs harvest" in the (O)rders menu, so farmers will improve their farming skill faster. One farmer with high skill is better than 2 farmers with low skill.

The cheapest food in the embark screen is milk, in the extracts menu. 1 point per unit. You'll need a kitchen workshop to turn the milk into edible cheese, but your food workers can easily finish that before the miners get the farm rooms dug out.

Right now you may be able to save your dwarfs with Herbalism. Enable Plant Gathering on everyone not doing something crucial, then d - p to select plants to gather. Newbies will mess up and ruin a lot of plants for each one they successfully harvest. It's worthwhile to give a dwarf a couple points in herbalism at embark if you have the points to spare. If you are on a barren mountain or a glacier with no surface plants, dive for the first cavern layer and gather plants there (scavenging cavern plants will also replenish your seed supply).

Or if you have open water you can try enabling fishing on one or two dwarfs. You'll need a fishery to turn raw fish into edible fish. Some maps inexplicably seem to have no fish at all, and even if they do it will take your newbie fishermen a while to find anything. Usually gathering plants is more reliable in a pinch.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Wahad posted:

I think its more that there are so many children now there are a lot of extra mouths to feed. I don't think that bug about dwarves breeding like animals, technically speaking was actually fixed. They all pop out kids at the same time still for one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ProfessorGroove posted:

I think its more that there are so many children now there are a lot of extra mouths to feed. I don't think that bug about dwarves breeding like animals, technically speaking was actually fixed. They all pop out kids at the same time still for one.

Yeah, but now it is just the married ones. No more Jerry Springer.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

COMET // IT MAKES YOU VOMIT // SO HAVE SOME COMET // (AND VOMIT) // TODAY

Toady One posted:

It was good to finish this flows-make-items-disappear bug that has been around forever. I remember failing to fix it years ago, but I'm pretty sure I got it this time. Thanks to Leonidas for noticing that it was much more common in narrow corridors.
  • Stopped liquid flows in confined spaces from sometimes making items disappear
  • Made items that froze in ice reappear properly when ice melts
  • Fixed a wagon AI error that caused them to fail to unload sometimes
  • Gave wagons the ability to go past each other in certain instances
  • Added appropriate announcements for some additional circumstances under which a fort dwarf could assume a civ-level position
  • Added embark warning if civ is dead

These last two should cut down on a certain type of posting, I'm sure.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh and also:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

:iit: DFHack is so important, thank (whoever released it).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it conveniently bundled in a pack with multi tile rendering and graphics and therapist?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pffhaha dream on. Plugins still need to reel their wires straight, update the version numbers and make sure they're still pulling on the right strings in the API since a few things got changed. You'd better believe I'm keeping a close eye on what mifki is doing.

It neatly unpacks straight to the root folder, though.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sigh: But at least DFHack finally being released for v40.xx means that it will be quicker to update, right?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pretty sure, yeah. Every new fancy feature Toady adds is more paths to trace out, but the biggest lump of work is done.

Oh and TWBT apparently has worked since 40.01. Mifki's just been waiting for a public, stable release to fix on. Shouldn't be long on that front, at least.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Well, that joy was short-lived. Fortress mode invariably crashes on unpause and adventure mode as soon as you open up the inventory.

e: Two (so far known) tweaks are causing these: tweak craft-age-wear kills fortmode and tweak military-stable-assign makes advmode explode. Make sure those are commented out in dfhack.init.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 15, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Angela Christine posted:

Sane world walkthrough:

Hey, I wanted to thank you for posting this now and earlier in the thread, as it helped me out a ton!

Now a question I really need help with, since it's a stupid issue that I just can't fix no matter what I change in the Stonesense init file: I'm using the PeridexisErrant Starter Pack for 34.11, R67 of it, and I turn on Stonesense and it won't friggin' update the screen EXCEPT when I change focus from something else to the DF main window. Changing the tileset seems to work, but R67's update notes says specifically that it has a custom version of Stonesense that works with TwbT tilesets, so I dunno why it would be having this issue. I'm gonna start scouring the bay12forums for any other people having this issue around R67's release, but I figured I'd ask here first, since you guys rule at helping me so far!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Haha, wow. No wonder DFHack is hosed, it's reading the item vmethod tables all wrong. Quietust should be posting another release shortly.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Huh. Just had a web spitting titan help me out. I was being sieged by undead (the two necromancers who came with decided to run straight into two cage traps I had). The undead in question were just hanging out in a corner of the map so I wasn't really bothering with dealing with them when suddenly a titan came in and completely wrecked poo poo.... and now he's sitting outside my front door which I've walled off because this guy's breath not only spits webs but seems to knock back people with enough force to make body parts pulp.

Whelp. Time to set up a catapult aimed at my own front door. Lets see how well he can handle some rocks to the face.

And after that I can try and figure out how to lure this giant cave spider I found into a cage trap.

This is quite possibly the best fort I've had in a long time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whats a good way of dealing with the first goblin squad without letting them inside my fort?
(None of my dwarves have any weapon skills except one :downs: dwarf with novice mace skill.)

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Traps are the default way of dealing with simple enemies. Stonefall traps are better than nothing while cage traps are a bit over powered.

Otherwise check and see what they are wearing. If they've only got leather armor on, and you happen to have several (a dozen or more) trained war dogs available, equip your squad with said war dogs before sending them in.

Funny thing is that you only need to kill one of them in this version and the others are likely to break and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

Traps are the default way of dealing with simple enemies. Stonefall traps are better than nothing while cage traps are a bit over powered.

Otherwise check and see what they are wearing. If they've only got leather armor on, and you happen to have several (a dozen or more) trained war dogs available, equip your squad with said war dogs before sending them in.

Funny thing is that you only need to kill one of them in this version and the others are likely to break and run.

I already had some stonefall traps scattered around but yeah I think im gonna go with spamming cage traps in a hallway.