Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saagonsa posted:

Most all of the cutscene and choice stuff isn't translated by the normal English patch. You need the story patch for that.

Thanks, grabbed those and the large file for good measure and it's much nicer being able to read what's actually being said.

e: It seems that none of those files translate things like the popup menus that explain the game though. Having to copy-paste that stuff in to google translate.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah as a heads-up I found that last night I was able to get onto PSO2.jp. Then I checked and found that I was able to get onto PSO2 without any outside assistance, and the Vita version also connects fine of its own volition. So Telstra was not entirely useless for once and actually fixed an issue. Weird, but hey. Gift horse and all.
Well, that gives me some hope, but I definitely still can't access it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm on a Comcast connection and still can't get in.

I think you all know what I'm going to post next so i'll spare everyone the need to see it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thanks, grabbed those and the large file for good measure and it's much nicer being able to read what's actually being said.

e: It seems that none of those files translate things like the popup menus that explain the game though. Having to copy-paste that stuff in to google translate.

Yeah, as far as I know nothing translates the tutorials or the message packs. Although I'm pretty sure they aren't that important.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
From what I have seen, all of the message packs contain completely useless information like "Watch out for Za Oodans! They are like Oodans except bigger and they throw rocks!" or "Look out for the Dagan Nero! It's like a Dagan except it's RED! Wowzers!"

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
you do get a nifty Gunslash camo for reading a lot of them though. and a couple of them at the start of "collect quest points" missions tell you what enemies are worth how many points, but yeah

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I think you all know what I'm going to post next so i'll spare everyone the need to see it.
don't do anythin' drastic there, I got a solution coming soon*

*its actually already here but I got to make a separate thread for it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, it's now stable via Pingzapper. That's nice of it...I wish I knew why now and not before. Anyway, I have yet to beat the loser or whatever he is called on hard. We came close this time but I don't know how to avoid his time stop attacks at all.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

NextTime000 posted:

My vpn leeching free trial time subscription is almost up, so you are a god among goons to me Next :negative:

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Herb Stencil posted:

My vpn leeching free trial time subscription is almost up, so you are a god among goons to me Next :negative:

Yeah, echoing this sentiment. I was thinking about trying AWS but I hear the two main programs for proxification are pay and while I found a free one that I THINK works I still don't wanna commit to giving someone a credit card number with the possibility that something may go wrong. I don't wanna try pingzapper because who knows who else uses those IPs and the "official" PSO2 proxy. I'd feel way safer about my account if I was just using a goon proxy over one potentially everyone on PSOW is using. Thanks a lot for this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm on Comcast as well. Go back and look at my earlier post with the sirens because it explains how you can get in to the game.

NextTime000 posted:

you do get a nifty Gunslash camo for reading a lot of them though. and a couple of them at the start of "collect quest points" missions tell you what enemies are worth how many points, but yeah

Or this, which I'm down for because the less poo poo I need installed (like pingzapper) the better.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I been using softether for ages. Some hosts don't work/dc you fast so you need to muck around a little but it's generally fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What happens when you move from episode 1 to episode 2 anyway? Do new areas open up? Do all those blue cutscene markers change? Some of them seem related to the story and some don't. I'm on part 4 of episode 1 right now, but I have no idea how much longer it is.

Also, is there a way to know which of those you have already seen and which you have missed? I mean, other than somehow cross-checking them with the timeline thing that is at the terminal, I dunno how you would even do that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Markers change based on what Matter Board you have set to active. Some of them are "general", though. The ones that you've seen are grey in colour.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The Singing Chav posted:

I been using softether for ages. Some hosts don't work/dc you fast so you need to muck around a little but it's generally fine.

Same, and I like it a lot, but I extremely hope that nobody here makes a thread about it or puts it in any kind of instructional post that could get more traction beyond the handful of people here who care enough to be reading on page number Whatever This Is of this thread. Please refrain, anybody who is thinking about doing that.

Too much of a population jump in people trying to connect to softether's jp servers (for example, if psoworld or whatever forum the b20 kids hang out on got into it) seems like something that could honestly hurt the service a lot, especially if those people are all connecting to japanese ips for the exact same reason

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 11, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Markers change based on what Matter Board you have set to active. Some of them are "general", though. The ones that you've seen are grey in colour.
Huh, I don't think I've a grey one, I guess because I keep switching to the newest matter board. If I switch back to a previous one, does it give me any idea of which quest the ones I missed are on?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's a credits roll after you clear the final story mission of each episode.

edit: the quest where a particular matter board event appears in will be marked on the quest selection screen as long as you've set it to your active matter. and matter board event tablets are always single-view anyways, so you can be assured that any blue ones you see aren't related to the matter board.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 11, 2014

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
As far as I know, story quest progression only unlocks new story quests. You can totally ignore it and still open up everything else.

With Ep. 3, they're supposed to be redoing some of the matter board rewards and layouts, so it might be better to wait.

Also, I hope you dudes are ready for the flood of level 50 Bouncers with crappy +XP weapons in super hard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

Too much of a population jump in people trying to connect to softether's jp servers (for example, if psoworld or whatever forum the b20 kids hang out on got into it) seems like something that could honestly hurt the service a lot, especially if those people are all connecting to japanese ips for the exact same reason

A few PSO-W'ers were using it but most got scared off because someone using it started to do so at the same time they changed their email address so it looked super suspicious and Sega banned the account.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

A few PSO-W'ers were using it but most got scared off because someone using it started to do so at the same time they changed their email address so it looked super suspicious and Sega banned the account.

huh, weird that Sega would detect that happening and care enough to ban them, but not be able to tell/not give a poo poo about all the people connecting directly from the West.

Unless you meant more that the change in email followed by connection through VPN made it look like the account got hacked, rather than being about their region restrictions, in which case yeah that makes sense

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

Unless you meant more that the change in email followed by connection through VPN made it look like the account got hacked, rather than being about their region restrictions, in which case yeah that makes sense

Yeah, that more or less. Changing your email at the same time you suddenly start connecting from "Japan" is kind of a red flag.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
I'm guessing the VPNs you're connecting to with softether are the ones on that VPN Gate site? I'm interested in trying this now, doesn't seem too bad if PSO-Worlders aren't using it.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Sega has never officially forbidden playing on Japanese servers from outside of Japan except to protect the market for the SEA version. Their de facto position has always been that they only offer support for users in Japan rather than connecting to Japanese servers from outside of Japan itself being a TOS violation.

I doubt many American or European developers offer support to Japanese players for games that haven't been officially released in Japan either.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Truxton posted:

I'm guessing the VPNs you're connecting to with softether are the ones on that VPN Gate site? I'm interested in trying this now, doesn't seem too bad if PSO-Worlders aren't using it.

Softether is actually a project from the University of Tsukuba that was originally developed to help people in oppressed countries gain access to things like Twitter and Facebook. Basically, people can volunteer their computers as nodes for other users to connect through.

When you use the provided software you can pick a node from a list, and also see how many connections each node is currently facilitating. As long as you pick one that isn't being overused, or one where you're the only connection, I can't see how it'd be a big problem with duplicate IPs and such.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Samurai Sanders posted:

What happens when you move from episode 1 to episode 2 anyway? Do new areas open up? Do all those blue cutscene markers change? Some of them seem related to the story and some don't. I'm on part 4 of episode 1 right now, but I have no idea how much longer it is.

Also, is there a way to know which of those you have already seen and which you have missed? I mean, other than somehow cross-checking them with the timeline thing that is at the terminal, I dunno how you would even do that.

I think the only stuff right now is just the things you can get from the matterboards, at the title counter for unlocking/100%ing a matterboard, and a couple NPCs get some client orders at various points. if you clear Ep1's EX chapter with Patty and Tea you get some client orders from them that lead up to you getting their partner cards, that one NPC near Io and Girard(?) starts handing out COs after you clear episode 1, and I forget anything really major that comes from it all

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So do the NPCs ever become worth using as partners? They seem rather unimpressive compared to using players instead.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

So do the NPCs ever become worth using as partners? They seem rather unimpressive compared to using players instead.

As far as I've always been able to tell, their stats are for some reason extremely extremely low compared to player friend partners. There's not much reason to use them unless you're trying to become friends or they gave you a CO to do it

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Evil Fluffy posted:

back in ep1 I liked to go around with barabara and clotho so that I'd actually see other gunners in the field, but aside from loneliness I don't think there's any reason to especially given the fact that using player partners gives them "FUN".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For whatever reason, Alys is actually capable of holding her own and doing decent damage. Otherwise scour your friends list for someone who has a rifle for WB (hello) and someone who has the Saviour trait (also hello) for the rare chance they can revive you:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Afin can be useful if you have no ranger friend partners as He'll occasionally fire a random weakbullet at enemies, otherwise not really.
What really sucks is that mini partners don't have much of a use. They take forever to grind and aren't any more powerful then friend partners so there's no reason to use them.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

For whatever reason, Alys is actually capable of holding her own and doing decent damage. Otherwise scour your friends list for someone who has a rifle for WB (hello) and someone who has the Saviour trait (also hello) for the rare chance they can revive you:

wait wait wait what?

I thought FPs were flat-out banned from using revival items at all. definitely changing the personality of mine to Savior once I get back into pso2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

wait wait wait what?

I thought FPs were flat-out banned from using revival items at all. definitely changing the personality of mine to Savior once I get back into pso2

It's really low chance, lower than Mag Revival A going off, but it does happen.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's really low chance, lower than Mag Revival A going off, but it does happen.

Do any of the other Partner personality types make meaningful special changes? Like I'd assume the more aggressive-sounding types make them try to close into melee range more often and things like that, but this is the first I've heard of it giving them unique abilities

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

http://pso2.cirnopedia.info/partner_2.php#biorhythm

Most of them are pretty dumb and conditional (look at all those ones that are useless without Shifta/Deband!), so I just go Tsudere Saviour for maximum helpfulness.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

bumped posted an update detailing some of the skills of the upcoming bouncer class notable features include:
  • a s/t atk dex mag skill like braver,
  • a stance to boost elemental weaknesses with jet shoes able to change thier element.
  • jet shoes have tech explosions like wands.
  • stat bonuses to crafted equipment
  • buffs that increase pp restore rate.
Well, this is gonna be an interesting class, and wont be immensely expensive fighting over the limited rares at the start.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://pso2.cirnopedia.info/partner_2.php#biorhythm

Most of them are pretty dumb and conditional (look at all those ones that are useless without Shifta/Deband!), so I just go Tsudere Saviour for maximum helpfulness.

Oh, thanks, didn't know that existed on Cirno. I'll probably set mine to Condition Master just on account of it being a fighter, then. maybe she'll Bind something

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cross-post from the Vita thread:

kirbysuperstar posted:

So yeah. PS Nova demo. If you haven't played PSO2 some of this might be a bit lost on you, but hopefully should give at least some insight.
There's no character creation, but they give you some examples. In the full game you can be whatever race/class/gender you want. Except dewmans, they're not here for whatever reason.

HUmar (Sword, Partisan, Double-Saber, Knuckles, Halo)

RAcast (Assault Rifle, Twin Machineguns, Halo)

FOnewearl (Rod, Talis, Wand, Halo)

BUcaseal (Pile, Sword, Rod, Halo)

You get ten minutes to go through a field, do a couple of Attack E-trials and then a Gigantes E-trial. The result is the same if you time out or kill it, it survives in a cutscene and you run off.

It does pretty much play just like PSO2, though there are some differences. PA combos are gone, every weapon is like ranged/tech weapons in PSO2 where you hold the modifier button to change to other PAs. In the case of Sword/Partz/Pile, one PA slot is also your Guard action. Speaking of PAs, you get a fair few to play with in the demo.

Sword: Nova Strike (doesn't need charging and you can spam it to helicopter all over the place like a clown) and one that appears to be a combination of Rising Edge and Twister Fall.
Partisan: Speed Rain, some sort of combination of Rising Flag and Trick Rave.
Double-Saber: Deadly Archer, Rumbling Moon, Scissor Edge (I think? I never did much with D.Sabers)
Knuckles: Flicker Jab, Flash Thousand, Slide Upper

Assault Rifle: One Point, Grenade Shell, Impact Slider :hellyeah:
Twin Machinegun: Reverse Tap - except you move toward the enemy instead of sucking them in, a sort of modification of Messiah Time where you jump up then head back down and spray a circle around you, and some sort of cross between Aerial Shooting and the last hits of Heel Stab.
Pile: Hahah I have no idea what these are called.

Techs: Shifta, Deband, Resta, Grants, Gigrants, Foie, Rafoie, Gifoie

Halos I think have their own PAs, but I couldn't figure them out. They are what you use to make platforms for Gigantes fights, but they also have a basic throw attack like a Talis does.

Anyway, it's pretty fun, a lot better than I thought it would be from the first stuff we saw on it. Random thoughts:
  • No Stylish Roll with TMGs, at least that I could find :saddowns:
  • Dodge moves seem to be by class instead of by weapon here. Hunter had Step (and Step Attack), Ranger had Dive Roll and Force had Mirage Escape, but Buster had Dive Roll - even for Sword and Rod.
  • Piles are really weird, like a cross between a really fast Monster Hunter hammer and PSO2 Launchers.
  • Subpalette is much better laid out here than it is in the PSO2 Vita port, with an added nifty thing where you can drag on a tech, which will hold the charge until you hit Triangle or Square without you needing to fat finger the touchscreen for more than a moment. Very handy.
  • PSE Bursts are kind of in - it seems to have to do with your current Chain (which works like it did in PSPortable 2/PSZero except you don't 'finish' it with a PA) and a really dumb voice says BUUUURST STAAATTOOOOO and BUUUUSRT FEEENESSSH. I got one that gave me more EXP and one that I think boosted PP regen.
  • Rod/Wand bonking with Force regens about a third of their PP per hit and it naturally regens about as fast as Force did in PSO2, which is pretty nice because the Gigantes can one-shot you with a stomp or tail swing or head charge.
  • Sword is much faster, about as fast as it was in PSP2Infinity or how it looks like it'll be in PSO2 Ep3 and feels good to use. Partisan also actually does damage. Woah!
  • PSO2's e-trial announcer is better :colbert:
  • Seems like you get ten revives per mission. Your AI partners will just stand over your corpse until you do and not even bother to attack enemies. So yeah, just like PSO2.
  • The music and cutscenes are so loving Tri-ace it hurts
  • Some of the sound effects are pretty low quality, though nothing on the level of PSP2i's loving Shifta/Deband SFX thankfully.

I can answer any questions, but here's a gallery of screenshots I took too: http://minus.com/mJdBWlWGPw5Np

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657621

Proxy thread is up :vince:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Is the counter broke at PSO2 website? It's been at 26 million ever since tuesday. No way we're getting the grinding boosts this way.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Another round of semi-blind inactive cuts because Sega can't be assed to give us a last online feature to make this much more simple, expect some accidentals cause we're cutting wide and deep into the back stock this time.

Affected player IDs are:
Lunimeow
Eskra
tsukoka
Emalde
Mihri
Xenorax
Luminaflare
RevusHarkings
Chibs
Limitality
Cream Collector
GTAF
Giggily
Grithok
PowerfulTofu
Stormgale
headcat
mightygerm
Scales of Love
Aldis Anselhelm
NightfallGemini
Svartur
BeezyRemhod
Valatar
Sherd Red
Nath2
Agoat

As always, if you're around and got cut accidentally just flag us down in the IRC (#risa)/in-game or send a mail to someone and we'll get you back in, this is just to keep the slots open.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Another round of semi-blind inactive cuts because Sega can't be assed to give us a last online feature to make this much more simple, expect some accidentals cause we're cutting wide and deep into the back stock this time.

Affected player IDs are:
Lunimeow
Emalde
Chibs
Cream Collector
GTAF
Svartur

As always, if you're around and got cut accidentally just flag us down in the IRC (#risa)/in-game or send a mail to someone and we'll get you back in, this is just to keep the slots open.

:patriot:

oh actually I've been bugging Svartur about coming back but I guess they are just gonna play ffxiv until episode 3 at least

• Locked thread