Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm probably most excited about straight up destroying Roland and Oliver at Roncesvalles and bringing the shahadah to all of the franks. No drat Charlemagne is going to stop the faithful this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Something odd just happened. I was in a faction, the faction fired, and I got called to war. Okay, fine, great. Then within a week the temporary title (to which I was a vassal) suddenly vanished without explanation and I was independent. Except that now I can't declare any wars because I'm in rebellion somehow, even though I'm not at war with my old liege anymore.

I think the game just broke.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
this could mean a lot of new national ideas being needed for EU4

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

CharlestheHammer posted:

But there are so many blobs. Its like the 867 start, but somehow worse.

If the new starting scenario doesn't have de jure realms outside of the Byzantines, the new blobs may end up simply imploding spectacularly in a way CK2 has never seen before. Combine the lack of de jure CBs to unite the realm with the new two duchies = a kingdom rule, and in the wake of a successful revolt you could end up with a dozen independent new kingdoms throughout Charlemange's empire.

That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

I still want a Theocracy DLC damnit. =(

I mean, one that allowed you to play Prince-Bisophrics, as well as landed Holy Orders/Mercenaries would be cool, though the dynastic system would have to be reworked like hell. It would be a different game than normal, that's for sure.

You and me both.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

lenoon posted:

I'm probably most excited about straight up destroying Roland and Oliver at Roncesvalles and bringing the shahadah to all of the franks. No drat Charlemagne is going to stop the faithful this time.

Excuse me, sir, Roland and Oliver got smashed by the Basques, not the Umayyads. :agesilaus:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bel Monte posted:

Slightly related, he noticed the African Portraits DLC. "Black people are DLC" - Crusader kings!

What an rear end in a top hat. You may have bought some extra black people, but evidently he thinks he should get to own them without paying for them. :colbert:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

So I was playing a count in Siena, and a fellow vassal decided to rise up and try to usurp the duke above me. Since the duke was my brother, I raise my own levies to help my brother win the war, and I ended up winning one of the battles and occupying Siena.

And then this happened.

Can someone please tell me what the gently caress just happened here? I definitely was not part of the faction to rise up against the duke, and my brother is still clearly the duke so he didn't lose the rebellion. There's no reason listed for why I was imprisoned, so I have no idea what went wrong.

Edit: That a motherfucking son of a bitch

Was he pressing your claim on your behalf? I have had wars where I fought for my liege brother against a rebellion to install me on the throne, won, and got imprisoned for being the claimant.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love the GoT mod sometimes. Starting off as Ned at the Crowned Stag bookmark:

-Stannis got a cold and died childless. :laffo:
-Robb got murdered by Karstark's wife, I imprisoned her rear end and had Ned give her a few inches off the top in retaliation.
-Roose Bolton was an accomplice in the murder, he got booted off to the Wall and succeeded by his idiot trueborn son.
-Lacking a male heir, I legitimized Jon Snow and married him to Arianne Martell.
-Khal Drogo rolled bad traits and became a wussy weakling.
-Viserys committed suicide in exile instead of getting his crown. Gotta love the Lunatic trait. :allears:

Unfortunately, Doran got wise to what I was doing and disinherited his daughter so that I couldn't get my grandson the lordship of both the North and Dorne. :argh:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 15, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I love the GoT mod sometimes. Starting off as Ned at the Crowned Stag bookmark:

-Stannis got a cold and died childless. :laffo:
-Robb got murdered by Karstark's wife, I imprisoned her rear end and had Ned give her a few inches off the top in retaliation.
-Roose Bolton was an accomplice in the murder, he got booted off to the Wall and succeeded by his idiot trueborn son.
-Lacking a male heir, I legitimized Jon Snow and married him to Arianne Martell.
-Khal Drogo rolled bad traits and became a wussy weakling.
-Viserys committed suicide in exile instead of getting his crown. Gotta love the Lunatic trait. :allears:

Unfortunately, Doran got wise to what I was doing and disinherited his daughter so that I couldn't get my grandson the lordship of both the North and Dorne. :argh:

This is why story driven DLC will likely work.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Excuse me, sir, Roland and Oliver got smashed by the Basques, not the Umayyads. :agesilaus:

Meh, whatever. Ain't gonna be no Holy Roman Empire unless it's dedicated to Allah and Muhammed, his prophet, pbuh.

Hopefully they take this opportunity to put in a more nuanced developed Catholicism as this early on (even in ToG, actually) the popes control over catholic nations is extremely shoddy. It'll be weird having this more fluid kingdom mechanic with the high medieval centralised papacy. It'd be good to have like a papal tech level that can change over time. Moral authority plus, I guess.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So if they're pushing the start date back another 100 years, does that mean they'll have to overhaul the technology system again to support it? I'm not sure how they could not break the technology in current saves at least, unless they added some negative tiers or something.

Massive Ahead Penalties maybe? But then you would just be stockpiling research points for 100 years more or less, not very interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A little bit of info on the expansion from RPS:

New Earlier bookmark, 769, almost 100 more years of Crusader Kings II
Special story event series for Charlemagne
Annual Chronicle in the style of the Saxon chronicle
Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name
Dozens of new cultures
Brand new system for climate and seasonal transitions
Regency overhaul

Still not much to go on, but better.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So if they're pushing the start date back another 100 years, does that mean they'll have to overhaul the technology system again to support it? I'm not sure how they could not break the technology in current saves at least, unless they added some negative tiers or something.

Massive Ahead Penalties maybe? But then you would just be stockpiling research points for 100 years more or less, not very interesting.

Well, unlike EU4, don't CK2 expansions pretty much always massacre every old save? So they won't need to worry about breaking tech in current saves, at least. :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just tried an experiment last night, looks like any kind of "no dejure kingdoms" system will require serious code rewrites; since trying to have an area with no de jure kingdom currently crashes the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dumb question: is Francia pronounced like Frank-i-a or France-i-a? I was talking about CK2 with a friend and I didn't even realize there were two different ways.

EDIT: Well, looks like Wikipedia says I'm wrong. I think I was basing my pronunciation off of the Spanish name for France, which is also Francia

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 15, 2014

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Orv posted:

As a great man once said
"But wait, there's more!"

There is gonna come more information don't worry, right now all the VIP's of the CK2 team is down in Cologne.
That list is just to get a quick glance.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rincewind posted:

Well, unlike EU4, don't CK2 expansions pretty much always massacre every old save? So they won't need to worry about breaking tech in current saves, at least. :v:

Depends, TOG was the first one that "broke" savegames for me in CK2 and that was just because it messed up the technology system so everyone was basically way behind where they should have been. It was even still playable for the most part. There were some missing counties after Islam too but that was pretty minor.

Rajas broke compatibility of course as well. But other than that I've never had a save game broken by a new version. Not counting bugs that is.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they just added a few more tiers and rescaled everything which would break things similarly to how TOG did.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I for one cannot wait to destroy the Karlings at the source

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Orv posted:

Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name
Dozens of new cultures
Regency overhaul

Meh. This looks more like a $10 DLC than a $20 DLC, something more along the lines of Legacy of Rome or something. A new history, a customizer, and more flavor events doesn't seem worth $20 to me -- looks like the seasons will probably be something you get free with the patch anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Annual Chronicle thing could be fun if it were done in a sort of semi-humorous style like the old SimCity newspapers were. Maybe detail a few notable events, wars, or deaths from across the world. Throw in a few funny pre-written bits and some fun statistics. Of course you'd probably want that to show up once every 10 years or so at most, not every year.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
From the video it looks like they did nothing to the cultural aspects of Northern Africa, though I didn't see any hint of religion. The people there were either Berbers speaking Berber or Romanized peoples speaking Romance languages, especially around Carthage. There should probably be some kind of African culture, with Miaphysite or Monothelite religion popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolatin_Berber_States

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hmm, can't wait for Karl der Grosse to whip all the varlets ITT who don't give the proper dues to the Right and True Kings of All the Franks.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Eh, customizing the flag is nice.

I have a fondness for playing as the Alans and making Alania a pseudo-Ukraine - their flag sucks though and Crimea's isn't much better. So making the flag of my kingdom the flag of my dynasty would be cool.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I'm feeling like playing a third-tier county vassal. Does anyone know about any good starts for a such a vassal, where your ducal overlord has a lot of land with plenty of similar level vassals?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I have the Old Gods, but if you didn't, wouldn't this DLC effectively add almost 300 years?

You wouldn't get to okay as pagans or start at 869, but it would massively increase your playtime if that's all that interested you.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

Meh. This looks more like a $10 DLC than a $20 DLC, something more along the lines of Legacy of Rome or something. A new history, a customizer, and more flavor events doesn't seem worth $20 to me -- looks like the seasons will probably be something you get free with the patch anyway.

A regency overhaul sounds great, though. God knows it needs it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think all the naysayers are missing the greatest benefit of the new bookmark: There is now a distinct possibility of no France or Francia ever.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

I think all the naysayers are missing the greatest benefit of the new bookmark: There is now a distinct possibility of no France or Francia ever.

Charles (and his brother Carloman) will start out controlling like 2/3rds of the eventual Carolingian Empire before they even start. Honestly, the only good way to prevent Charles (not yet the Great) from blobbing ridiculously would be to keep Carloman alive so the Carolingians remain divided in two.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Annual Chronicle thing could be fun if it were done in a sort of semi-humorous style like the old SimCity newspapers were. Maybe detail a few notable events, wars, or deaths from across the world. Throw in a few funny pre-written bits and some fun statistics. Of course you'd probably want that to show up once every 10 years or so at most, not every year.

I'm picturing it as the CKII version of the Victoria II newspaper. It doesn't actually pop up, but has a little hanging tag showing how many unread papers you have, and you can manually choose to them any time.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Orv posted:

Dozens of new cultures
Regency overhaul

Am I weird for looking forward to the bolded part? EU3 tried to madlib together what each of your nation's rulers accomplished during their lifetimes. I never understood why CK2 doesn't, where it would be even more appropriate.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
That Paradox thread for the America mod didn't take long to break down.

quote:

600 years in the future and post-apocalyptic? Florida would definitely be under water by then, if I recall correctly it's projected to be 80% or more submerged within the next couple centuries due to climate change.

quote:

Depends on the nature of the apocalypse. Even if anthropogenic climate change has a germ of truth to it (it's largely junk science and flawed models) a civilization-destroying apocalypse would change human behavior enough (nobody burning massive amounts of fossil fuels anymore, nature reclaiming vast acreages from human developments) to alter the situation.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey you know the rules. No fun unless that fun has been vetted by decades of pointless study.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Darth Various posted:

Am I weird for looking forward to the bolded part? EU3 tried to madlib together what each of your nation's rulers accomplished during their lifetimes. I never understood why CK2 doesn't, where it would be even more appropriate.

It does sound pretty cool but I think it'll be a lot like the newspapers in V2 and those got old very quickly for me.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i like it how people are in denial over the imminent death of all technological civilization

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Orv posted:

Hey you know the rules. No fun unless that fun has been vetted by decades of pointless study.

I think the emphasis was on the quote denying climate change was a thing. :v:

I mean yes, it's strictly true Florida should be underwater, but the correct answer to this isn't "CLIMATE CHANGE ISN'T REAL :freep:" it's "Be that as it may, the point of this mod is to dick around in Feudal versions of the America we know, not realism :)"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean yes, it's strictly true Florida should be underwater, but the correct answer to this isn't "CLIMATE CHANGE ISN'T REAL :freep:" it's "Be that as it may, the point of this mod is to dick around in Feudal versions of the America we know, not realism :)"

Question about Florida in that mod: can I play as the Conch Republic?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Is the kingdom of Quebec de jure part of the Canadian empire? This is important

Edit: also emperor Norton better be in the history files for the American empire title

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

I'm feeling like playing a third-tier county vassal. Does anyone know about any good starts for a such a vassal, where your ducal overlord has a lot of land with plenty of similar level vassals?

Well, the HRE is probably your best bet. In 1066 southern Germany, Lotharingia, and Burgundy have a lot of duchies that are all broken up into counts under dukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Bob le Moche posted:

Is the kingdom of Quebec de jure part of the Canadian empire? This is important

Edit: also emperor Norton better be in the history files for the American empire title

Yeah, it is, though right now Canada is just Quebec and the Maritimes. As for the American empire title, there isn't one yet - we're thinking about what to do on that front.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also, as I pointed out in there, who says the Event happened in 2014? Maybe the Cold War went hot or we got hit by an asteroid or something.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread