Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Soag posted:

yeah but is it better or worse than your typical australian?

(hint: 80% of australians think that asylum seekers are treated properly, or not toughly enough)

Considering the asylum seeker policies of both major parties, I fail to see how things would be worse if you'd replace them with a bunch of random pedestrians. In all honestly, those pedestrians would probably be more humane, having not been trained in law school to be amoral robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Soag posted:

(hint: 80% of australians think that asylum seekers are treated properly, or not toughly enough)

Yeah but ~95% of the house of reps thinks the same so...

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
wait when did auspol switch to loving australians, i thought the group consensus was that everyday australians are uneducated swill and essentially the scum of the earth?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Soag posted:

wait when did auspol switch to loving australians, i thought the group consensus was that everyday australians are uneducated swill and essentially the scum of the earth?

Yeah, but then you compare them with the average australian member of parliament.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Soag posted:

Well you see. There's Australians, and then there's Australian Politicians.

The former might be the scum of the earth, but the latter are some kind of terror from the deep.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Abbott Kirribilli wgah'nagl fhtagn

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Soag posted:

im starting to think he has some value in knocking down the more deluded poo poo that the libs come out with (which is exactly the senate's role), but dont think he has the book-smarts to come up with good policy but it doesnt matter bc he's ind senator rather thna membr of govt

i think a lot of the hositlity came from the fact that he's got the balance of power and people were envisioning nightmare scenarios where he would pass the lib's bill to introduce mandatory sterilisation for poors, in exchange for making the speed limit in the nullabor 200km/h

The media and swathes of the public don't care about policy as much as a simple sound bite or 'gotcha'.

People were just anxious about him because he was an unknown.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That old guy that called Tones a dickhead on TV should be PM.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Endman posted:

That old guy that called Tones a dickhead on TV should be PM.

this

and also the guy who threw a shoe on QandA but he dead :(

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Soag posted:

this

and also the guy who threw a shoe on QandA but he dead :(

Wow that's excessive, it was just a shoe.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
yeah asio injected him with cancer so he died, just like the russian spy :(

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Anecdote time: My brother made a comment that he misheard someone on TV when they said "Us Aussies" as "Arseholes". I didn't see the difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scylo posted:

If Hockey gets poo poo for this then it's basically going to result in Hockey yelling at the car company, then the company firing the driver.

Twitter was saying that it was clearly the fault of the driver, I dunno.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Twitter was saying that it was clearly the fault of the driver, I dunno.

Honestly, the fact this is even a thing is dumb.

edit: To clarify, the fact internet people are debating whose fault it is.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 15, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

There's something poetic about Hockey's comments, the budget and a photo of his car parked in a handicap space. But really it would be dumb and pointless to make it into a "thing".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The guy probably doesn't earn much, and hence isn't used to driving.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

There's something poetic about Hockey's comments, the budget and a photo of his car parked in a handicap space. But really it would be dumb and pointless to make it into a "thing".

I was specifically referring to the fact that internet warriors are arguing over whether it's Hockeys or the drivers fault. Altogether the package is slightly amusing. Drawing each individual part of it out to scrutinize and debate isn't.

edit:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The guy probably doesn't earn much, and hence isn't used to driving.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think what we can take from this is that Joe Hockey has no empathy for the common man.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Soag posted:

Soag posted:

You are so loving stupid Soag.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
New friendly jordies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAk2f1HBLNA

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Just started watching this series, bloody brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Nuclear Spy posted:

This is hilarious, how is it not more popular?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nuclear Spy posted:

I rarely watch youtubes in this thread. I watched this because you, Nuclear Spy, linked it. It's pretty funny.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
The second video is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-al0xSFJo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nuclear Spy posted:

These are amazing.

edit: holy poo poo the peter garett impression in the fourth episode. these are all gold. absolute gold.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 15, 2014

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Ep.4 is amazing.
Made by the guy who made Wilfred i think

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just came across these from somewhere else, they are great.

"30% of Australians are casual racists, which means the other 70% are full time."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did he say racists or rapists?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Shadeoses posted:

Did he say racists or rapists?

Keitha....That's a mans name.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The full article is paywalled but Abbott is weighing into things he shouldn't again

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4178043.ece

quote:

Scots independence a bad idea, says Australian PM

Scottish independence would be a victory for the enemies of freedom and justice, the Australian prime minister has said in the most pointed intervention yet by a foreign leader in the independence debate.

A win by the Yes campaign would be cheered abroad by countries that opposed British values and influence, while an independent Scotland would make little positive impact on the world stage, Tony Abbott told The Times

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

independence would be a victory for the enemies of freedom and justice

quote:

quote:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
That's going to get widely reported in Scotland and everyone will hear what our idiot PM said :negative:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tones is English, gotta protect the motherland

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's a Bush Jnr. level of idiocy.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

haha, what in the actual gently caress

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
After receiving mild praise for his handling of MH17, Abbott has decided that he is a foreign policy genius, and will no doubt continue to offer his unsolicited opinions on international issues which he does not understand.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
It's pretty simple why he said what he did when you consider he is a Monarchist

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

In other news the bland spread of the Coles/Woolworths duopoly continues in Perth with plans to bulldoze the genuinely vibrant and interesting Subiaco Station Street markets and imaginatively replace them with...... a Coles! This is approximately 100 metres from a large Woolworths and about 1km away from the nearest large Coles. I guess they've cottoned on to people having an option to buy fresh produce at less than half the cost of the large supermarkets and have decided to put a stop to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-12/plans-to-shut-down-subiaco-markets2c-open-mixed-office-and-com/5666336

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Tomberforce posted:

In other news the bland spread of the Coles/Woolworths duopoly continues in Perth with plans to bulldoze the genuinely vibrant and interesting Subiaco Station Street markets and imaginatively replace them with...... a Coles! This is approximately 100 metres from a large Woolworths and about 1km away from the nearest large Coles. I guess they've cottoned on to people having an option to buy fresh produce at less than half the cost of the large supermarkets and have decided to put a stop to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-12/plans-to-shut-down-subiaco-markets2c-open-mixed-office-and-com/5666336

Pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Tomberforce posted:

Supermarkets always sell produce with a significant markup too. A friend of mine delivers fruit and veg to people's houses as part of his work and buys them from the same wholesaler that the Adelaide Central Markets get their's from. He sells avocados (at a profit) for 90 cents each. They're about $3 at Coles right now.

It's funny, because they know that Australians don't even spend that much money on fresh food. I used to supervise in a supermarket on weekends when I was in undergrad and had access to daily sales figures. The cigarette counter out the front would often outsell fruit & veg, bakery and deli combined.

• Locked thread