Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slides I got:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

I think the biggest laugh in my theater was "Gloryhole... OF THE GODS!" of whatever it was exactly.

Right words, wrong inflection. Whoever delivered it (I think it was Kevin, could've been Mike) let it rip in one booming statement: "GLORYHOLE OF THE GODS!"

I actually loved the Godzilla movie when I was a kid. Eventually I realized how, uh, dumb I was, but watching this movie, every now and then I'd connect with a little flash of something. Like, there was always something kinda badass and charming (at least to me) about the way Matthew Broderick goes "I always wanted to join the French Foreign Legion!" Or that scene with Godzilla chasing the helicopters through the city -- which made it all the funnier when Bill completely broke it with "IF ONLY THERE WERE A WAY TO MAKE THESE THINGS GO UP!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't comment on Godzilla's constant teleporting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the slides I got. My count was 46, but I could have missed some.

http://imgur.com/a/uJCpM

EDIT: I think there's a couple dupes, so maybe more like 44.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 15, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Robert Denby posted:

My showing had sound problems; there were quite a few riffs that were inaudible because the movie audio was burying the riffs. Also why is that movie 135 minutes.
I couldn't hear either during the opening credits, but only the poors like me go to see it simulcast instead of at the Belmont, so I was able to just walk down to the front where the audio was fine.

My favorite line was something like
"Come and get it you giant bastard!"
"The new Golden Corral slogan."

Somewhere out there, Echo 3 is still waiting to land.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 15, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the biggest laugh lines in the Oxnard showing was "game over, man. Game over."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Deadpool posted:

Here's the slides I got. My count was 46, but I could have missed some.

http://imgur.com/a/uJCpM

EDIT: I think there's a couple dupes, so maybe more like 44.

The last two are duplicates.

Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

One of the biggest reactions in my theater was for the audience members wearing the Pirates jerseys. Go Bucs!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised there weren't any jokes about how Cody represented something like 1/10th of the US Army.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God that intro cartoon was hideous. Why is Jonathan Coulton still allowed near a microphone?

The rest of the show was awesome though, except my theater was having sound issues too throughout the film. It was like they mic'ed up the audience and the movie but not Mike & Co.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This may have been my favorite live riff but that might be because Mayor Ebert and Jean Reno's character cause me to laugh uncontrollably without any riffing.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

So can anyone who went to the show answer me these questions three?

Did Godzilla tell off the looters and tell them to get a job? Was there a reference to Truck Cloacaz? Or did Godzilla say something in Japanese before chomping on one of the choppers?

I watched the rehearsal video and they were talking about guest riffers getting back to them with revisions in the last week, and I'm like, "That never happened with me..."

Edit 2: Sent email. Trying to minimise kerfuffle. Will mention nothing else here 'bout the lost riffs.

Aside from that, I loved the rehearsal video. They pulled themselves up on being too vicious too soon, repeating jokes just a mite too many times...it was the insight into the riffing process I wanted.

v: Well, poop. :(

Edit 3: Scroll down; I am a buttface. (But an entertaining one, apparently.)

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 15, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

^ I don't remember a single one of those lines.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

God that intro cartoon was hideous. Why is Jonathan Coulton still allowed near a microphone?
Because he does songs about the nerdy poo poo nobody else will touch for fear of being uncool. He's totally replaceable but I have yet to see anyone put enough effort in to try.

Though I liked him on John Hodgman's audio book. That's really Hodgman's fault though, I think.

I swear the Godzilla audio problem was worse in the back than the front of the theater. They probably tried some dumb surround poo poo for the simulcast and wrecked the mix for everyone not sitting far enough forward. If you go to another one try sitting in front just in case.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The audio was fine for the 8pm west coast show, near as I can remember.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

You and me both, brother.

Being in Jersey, the place went absolutely crazy for the Chris Christie joke.

Yeah, the Trump, G train, and "$3000 for a studio?" jokes all played very well in Manhattan.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was one more joke they said was a local reference but I forgot what it was.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
This was my first time seeing this version of Godzilla. I guess I didn't think it was that terrible of a movie? It was too long and had some pointless scenes, but it didn't seem any worse than a typical Hollywood summer movie.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SnipeBob posted:

This was my first time seeing this version of Godzilla. I guess I didn't think it was that terrible of a movie? It was too long and had some pointless scenes, but it didn't seem any worse than a typical Hollywood summer movie.

Considering how bad the typical Hollywood summer movie is, that's damning with faint praise.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Paper Kaiju posted:

Considering how bad the typical Hollywood summer movie is, that's damning with faint praise.

I agree, but I'm just complaining that this isn't the type of movie I like seeing them riff on. It's not goofy enough and the production values aren't terrible enough. I probably won't have watched it if it wasn't a live event. I think movies like Sharknado are more fun for them to riff on.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

RandomPauI posted:

There was one more joke they said was a local reference but I forgot what it was.
There was a 32 oz soda joke in there somewhere too. For some reason I really liked the line where they claimed a real New Yorker doesn't use an umbrella, they just cover their head in rats and insult the rain. Totally fit in with the over-the-top New York portrayals.

FUGETTABOUTIT GOBBAGAHGOOO

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

SnipeBob posted:

I agree, but I'm just complaining that this isn't the type of movie I like seeing them riff on. It's not goofy enough and the production values aren't terrible enough. I probably won't have watched it if it wasn't a live event. I think movies like Sharknado are more fun for them to riff on.

It had been years since I rented this movie, but last night I remembered how boring this movie is. Yes, Emmerich's movies have some nice production value (The destruction of MSG was very well done shot), but man the CGI looks really bad. I don't remember late 90's CGI looking that bad.

Also, for a Godzilla movie, Godzilla is presumed dead for what, 30 minutes, maybe 45? I can't remember how long the search for the nest scene was, but it felt like an eternity.

I've been to most of the live rifftrax showings (I missed House on Haunted Hill and Birdemic), and this one was the least enjoyable. I think it is because the movie is so badly paced, and my theater had the sound issues. I loved the Sharknado one, but part of that was the 90 minute run time and the more competent pacing. I have not seen Anaconda in years, but it was not as bad as this movie, was it?

Also, that animation is kind of meh. What was wrong with their logo with their heads in cartoon form? It was like 5 seconds and then on to the show. I do not need a minute long intro.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SnipeBob posted:

I feel the reverse. The riffs for Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, and Jaws were great, so a film doesn't need to be goofy and cheap to be good for riffing. On the other hand, I skipped the Sharknado event, because riffing a film that was intentionally made to be goofy and cheap seems too easy to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, for a Godzilla movie, Godzilla is presumed dead for what, 30 minutes, maybe 45? I can't remember how long the search for the nest scene was, but it felt like an eternity.

I've been to most of the live rifftrax showings (I missed House on Haunted Hill and Birdemic), and this one was the least enjoyable. I think it is because the movie is so badly paced, and my theater had the sound issues. I loved the Sharknado one, but part of that was the 90 minute run time and the more competent pacing.

Yeah, the length and pacing really hurt this show. I still enjoyed it (and the sound wasn't bad in my theater), but after a certain point I was still checking my watch thinking "how much longer is this drat thing?"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, the length and pacing really hurt this show. I still enjoyed it (and the sound wasn't bad in my theater), but after a certain point I was still checking my watch thinking "how much longer is this drat thing?"

It's one of the reasons I have not listened to the Transformers Riffs (even though I have heard they were great). Anaconda is at least only 89 minutes, so I'm thinking that will be a better show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The Deviations posted:

Or did Godzilla say something in Japanese before chomping on one of the choppers?

I think they yelled "Itadakimasu!" ("Let's eat!", or, literally, "I humbly receive", according to Wikipedia)

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

ringu0 posted:

I think they yelled "Itadakimasu!" ("Let's eat!", or, literally, "I humbly receive", according to Wikipedia)

Sweet! That's the thing. I didn't get any feedback, which A) worried me, and B) was kind of what I was after. I just liked the juxtaposition of 'I humbly receive' with an explosion.

Crap, now to craft another email, preferably while sober this is one of many reasons why I don't like confrontation jeez.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I did enjoy both the joke and its delivery. If you are the contributor, you made the riff better, thanks.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Okay people, after talking to the RiffTrax guys, I was told to go to TellFathom.com and fill out the survey so they can try and find where the problem was. I was told the audio was fine in the truck, but inconsistent in the theaters.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Canned Panda posted:

Okay people, after talking to the RiffTrax guys, I was told to go to TellFathom.com and fill out the survey so they can try and find where the problem was. I was told the audio was fine in the truck, but inconsistent in the theaters.

Thanks for posting this! I don't think I heard a single joke for the first ten or so minutes of the movie. :smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Paper Kaiju posted:

I feel the reverse. The riffs for Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, and Jaws were great, so a film doesn't need to be goofy and cheap to be good for riffing. On the other hand, I skipped the Sharknado event, because riffing a film that was intentionally made to be goofy and cheap seems too easy to me.
I held off on seeing Sharknado because it was notoriously bad, so getting the double impact of just how terrible it is combined with the added jokes in the dull parts (and there are plenty considering) was a real treat for me.

That said they're just showing Sharknado 2 in the theater outright next week, presumably just as it was on TV... oof

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This was my first time seeing Godzilla 98, but holy poo poo Matthew Broderick sounds like a parody of himself.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Unlucky7 posted:

This was my first time seeing Godzilla 98, but holy poo poo Matthew Broderick sounds like a parody of himself.

It certainly was a lot of fish.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I love how completely unsubtle Emmerichs bashing of Siskel and Ebert is. How retarded do you have to be to think that was clever parody?

Also, am I the only one slightly reminded of Rick Moranis when I see Broderick?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 15, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It certainly was a lot of fish.

He's a science man! :downs:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

PrinceRandom posted:

I love how completely unsubtle Emmerichs bashing of Siskel and Ebert is. How retarded do you have to be to think that was clever parody?

I never paid any attention to the movie when it came out, so when watching I was expecting there to be a scene where they get stepped on or crushed by the tail or their helicopter knocked out of the sky, or SOMETHING. And there never was. They bickered a little and ate some candy. There was no point at all.

Then after, I looked up Siskel and Eberts old review of the film to see their reaction and Ebert said the exact same thing, including chastising Emmerich for not killing them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

So many scenes of helicopters chasing Godzilla between buildings.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So what's worse: Fast Zombies or Fast Godzilla?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

I never paid any attention to the movie when it came out, so when watching I was expecting there to be a scene where they get stepped on or crushed by the tail or their helicopter knocked out of the sky, or SOMETHING. And there never was. They bickered a little and ate some candy. There was no point at all.

Then after, I looked up Siskel and Eberts old review of the film to see their reaction and Ebert said the exact same thing, including chastising Emmerich for not killing them.

Yeah, it was such a toothless caricature. Ebert was fat and kind of blustery but didn't do anything too horrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, it was such a toothless caricature. Ebert was fat and kind of blustery but didn't do anything too horrible.

In fact he seemed to be right most of the time. How was it supposed to be a bad thing when he started yelling that the idiot military people were doing more damage than the drat monster they were hunting? It was absolutely true, for poo poo's sake!

And why was there an ordinary sergeant apparently in command of the forces in Manhattan instead of an actual officer? Why were there like four submarines chasing the monster, only two of which did anything? Why was Matthew Broderick playing an insulting caricature of himself? Why was his utterly pointless love interest written to be borderline retarded? WHY WHY WHY?!

I'd ask why Jean Reno was the only actor to put in a decent performance, but that's pretty obvious. I might be the only person in the world who actually liked his running gag about coffee, but that's probably because I spent seven years living in England, and the English are famous for being unable to make coffee to save their lives, so I can imagine a Frenchman having that same problem because the coffee in France is really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I love Godzilla '98 as an endurance test.

• Locked thread