Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Tasers are part of the Firearms Unit and don't usually go to regular cops though the MET are always a bit special and Northern Island has its own rules. If they're in a violent area they'll usually have CS spray, a stab vest and a baton.

I've pestered my dad with a few cop questions over the years and I know if someone has a knife you're meant to talk them down. Unless they're about to commit violence you just reason with them and call for backup.

Once police are there for small incidents it's rare for something to happen. People get stabbed or shot before the police can turn up, not after. Then again he worked in South Wales and it's not like we're the crime capital of Britain.

The Met only allow ARUs to have Tasers, multiple other forces allow ordinary plod to carry them. When the Home Office basically offered them for free to forces the Met's response was pretty much "Nah we don't trust our guys not to gently caress around with them" (obviously it was along the lines of "we think that it's best only firearms units carry them" but the implication was pretty clear).

The interesting thing about this (and about the general state of arming the Police) is how few rank-and-file actually want anything more than a baton and a stab vest. The reasoning goes pretty much "Everything else is heavy and uncomfortable to carry around, is almost never used, and makes it more likely that things will get escalated rather than de-escalated". In London at least they're confident that backup is never going to be that far away and would way rather back off and rely on safety in numbers than dive in and risk getting hurt.

What's instructive is to look at cases where officers have died in the course of their duty and basically with very rare exceptions (usually caused when they don't follow normal policy) nothing short of going in in full Who Dares Wins style to every single situation is likely to have saved their lives, and it's telling that it's forces in major cities who recognise this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cerv posted:

people who capitalise "MET" - what do you think this is an acronym for?

MET Matrix obviously!! :v:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Met only allow ARUs to have Tasers, multiple other forces allow ordinary plod to carry them. When the Home Office basically offered them for free to forces the Met's response was pretty much "Nah we don't trust our guys not to gently caress around with them" (obviously it was along the lines of "we think that it's best only firearms units carry them" but the implication was pretty clear).

The interesting thing about this (and about the general state of arming the Police) is how few rank-and-file actually want anything more than a baton and a stab vest. The reasoning goes pretty much "Everything else is heavy and uncomfortable to carry around, is almost never used, and makes it more likely that things will get escalated rather than de-escalated". In London at least they're confident that backup is never going to be that far away and would way rather back off and rely on safety in numbers than dive in and risk getting hurt.

What's instructive is to look at cases where officers have died in the course of their duty and basically with very rare exceptions (usually caused when they don't follow normal policy) nothing short of going in in full Who Dares Wins style to every single situation is likely to have saved their lives, and it's telling that it's forces in major cities who recognise this.

Americans found this video insane "why didn't they shoot him". :shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5CPx4RKWw

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 14, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I know YouTube is low hanging fruit, but the comments on that video...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

Some UK forces use PAVA, but CS is still used by plenty. No idea as to why exactly if PAVA has less nasty side effects, maybe its cheaper.
Maybe there was a deal made with whatever people got the contract from the nice folks at Porton Down to manufacture it?

Plus its a :britain: incapacitating agent (and banned war gas), not like those foreign chili peppers taking away jobs from are hard working chemical weapons.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe there was a deal made with whatever people got the contract from the nice folks at Porton Down to manufacture it?

Plus its a :britain: incapacitating agent (and banned war gas), not like those foreign chili peppers taking away jobs from are hard working chemical weapons.

It doesn't even need to to be foreign chilli pepper growers, Devon/Dorset grows some of the worlds strongest chillis! :eng101:
(I guess because it's quality over quantity type thing).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Cerv posted:

people who capitalise "MET" - what do you think this is an acronym for?

Massive Evil Tossers? :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

it would simply increase the fissionable mass (which counter-productively will decrease the explosive yield)

Can you elaborate on this? Kinda counter-intuitive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Uranium's really loving heavy and will absorb a lot of energy in vaporising.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fluo posted:

It doesn't even need to to be foreign chilli pepper growers, Devon/Dorset grows some of the worlds strongest chillis! :eng101:
(I guess because it's quality over quantity type thing).
I forgot about the Dorset Naga. :chef:

The stuff they use in PAVA spray is synthetic, and is also used as an artificial vanillin-based seasoning, but I've got no idea where it is produced or by who. CS is definitely one of Porton Down's innovations though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

I forgot about the Dorset Naga. :chef:

Bloody foreign monsters, coming over here stealing jobs from good British cryptids.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

HortonNash posted:

This sort of stuff should be included in sex education at secondary school to be honest. Sex education in England (I don't know the status of, or what it is like, in Scotland or Wales)

I went to one of the largest state schools in Europe, in a deprived area of Glasgow, with the associated teenage pregnancy issue. When I left in the late 2000s, the only sex education I had had was that abortion was wrong, and that all anal sex immediately creates AIDS ex nihilo (as, I was taught, sperm is not designed to go in the anus, so it goes through the walls and eats your white blood cells), to which condoms offer limited protection. A classmate left thinking that a woman could only get pregnant by swallowing. I was, however, well-educated in the various deviancies of protestants.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 14, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mister Adequate posted:

Bloody foreign monsters, coming over here stealing jobs from good British cryptids.

One of my friends grows chilies and jokes that, when dried and ground, the result would be a chemical weapon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They do make some nice chillis around that area. I once ate a whole Dorset Naga for a bet and it was hell. Would definitely do it again

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

http://youtu.be/5BHdsjo-NR4?t=11m58s Principle of getting a critical mass
http://youtu.be/5BHdsjo-NR4?t=25m for how lenses in a plutonium explosion work

If you're at all interested in nuclear physics / how nuclear weapons work / Why nuclear power != nuclear weapons I recommend you watch the whole lecture.

The W88 warheads in Trident missiles also have a bunch of safety features installed to ensure that a detonation does not happen accidentally or without explicit authorisation - some of the unclassified features can be found here but as SybilVimes said if the top reason you can come up with for not maintaining a nuclear weapons program is 'what if Hiroshima happens accidentally' then you do not have anywhere near the understanding required to debate the topic and might as well join this paranoid goon who is closer with 'Putin has his finger on the button RIGHT NOW'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

One of my friends grows chilies and jokes that, when dried and ground, the result would be a chemical weapon.

Him and everyone else who ever grew a chilli. I honestly can't think of a better use for the bloody things myself, mine are only about as hot as Cayenne (~1/20th as hot as Naga :supaburn:) but that's still strong enough to start edging past hot and into mild electrocution territory if you just shove a raw one in your face (PS don't do this).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even with a Scotch bonnet it feels like someone is cutting the back of your throat with a razor. I'd agree with the sentiment unless you're an idiot like me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TinTower posted:

They literally are a chemical weapon. The active ingredient that puts heat in food is capsaicin, which is used in pepper spray.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Haha, I eat those things for fun. Once you get use to the pain the experience is quite enjoyable.

Never touch your eyes as pouring yogurt is loving impossible.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also remember to wash your hands really well, preferably after scrubbing them with some sort of oil.

Getting that stuff where you don't want it is going to make life hell depending on who or what you touch.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Also remember to wash your hands really well, preferably after scrubbing them with some sort of oil.

Getting that stuff where you don't want it is going to make life hell depending on who or what you touch.

This is very, very important.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

David Cameron is an out of touch prick

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

notaspy posted:

Never touch your eyes as pouring yogurt is loving impossible.
Yeah, no kidding. Putting in contact lenses immediately after chopping chilis was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I have been to the toilet while cooking the "wrong" things in the past.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Him and everyone else who ever grew a chilli. I honestly can't think of a better use for the bloody things myself, mine are only about as hot as Cayenne (~1/20th as hot as Naga :supaburn:) but that's still strong enough to start edging past hot and into mild electrocution territory if you just shove a raw one in your face (PS don't do this).

My Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper. :shepface:

I use them in my chili with chipotle and hickory smoke. They're great!

Jedit posted:

They literally are a chemical weapon. The active ingredient that puts heat in food is capsaicin, which is used in pepper spray.

You use to be able to buy pure capsaicin crystals (they're crystals in pure form), 16million on the SHU scale. It was great because with protective gloves you just wipe around a clean wok with it and it will give a very decent heat. But because if you hate the drat thing it'd kill you and it was very easy to be a moron and drop it in someones tea as a prank it was banned in the EU.

Use to be able to buy from from chilli shops and amazon etc.

If you think that's crazy, Resin spurge, a cactus like plant in Morocco produces Resiniferatoxin. Which is 16 Billion on the SHU. :vince:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 15, 2014

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Bear shits in woods. Pope a Catholic.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Fluo posted:

My Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper. :shepface:

I use them in my chili with chipotle and hickory smoke. They're great!

You use to be able to buy pure capsaicin crystals (they're crystals in pure form), 16million on the SHU scale. It was great because with protective gloves you just wipe around a clean wok with it and it will give a very decent heat. But because if you hate the drat thing it'd kill you and it was very easy to be a moron and drop it in someones tea as a prank it was banned in the EU.

Use to be able to buy from from chilli shops and amazon etc.

If you think that's crazy, Resin spurge, a cactus like plant in Morocco produces Resiniferatoxin. Which is 16 Billion on the SHU. :vince:

16 billion? Wouldn't that just kill someone incredibly quickly?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

I think when the description includes the word toxin we have moved on from doing stupid stuff because its fun to just stop.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Right lads it's time to invade France Europe again. This is the poo poo they're passing off as Monster Munch over there.

We can all put aside our differences over which is best flavour to tackle this abomination.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

Right lads it's time to invade France Europe again. This is the poo poo they're passing off as Monster Munch over there.

We can all put aside our differences over which is best flavour to tackle this abomination.

Salted, I bet they have Paprika flavour too. Time to retake Calais!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Brittany for the British!

e:

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 15, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lord Twisted posted:

I may be wrong but with capsaicin does it not stop mattering after a certain level? Once you get over x units you're experiencing as much of an effect as your sense of taste allows, and adding more on top of that doesn't do a whole lot. So the difference between ten million scovilles and twenty million is probably a lot less noticeable than between ten and one million.

Also I don't think it can actually kill you. It's an irritant but unless you were mainlining pure capsaicin into your arm you're unlikely to get any long term effects. That's kind of the whole reason they use it in pepper spray etc.

Fluo posted:

Ha, poo poo, I just read this. Would it actually be fatal if you just ate it? Or would it just make you very, very ill?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 15, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ThomasPaine posted:

Ha, poo poo, I just read this. Would it actually be fatal if you just ate it? Or would it just make you very, very ill?
The great Wikipedia sayeth:

quote:

The LD50 in mice is 47.2 mg/kg.[44][45]
You can't necessarily translate from LD50 in mice to LD50 in humans. But one almost certainly exists.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Where do you get your chipotles from Fluo? loving love me some chipotle.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Bozza posted:

Where do you get your chipotles from Fluo? loving love me some chipotle.

Not sure where you are in the UK, but Waitrose seems to regularly stock dried chipotles. ASDA and Morrisons are also stocking a Mexican chipotle hot sauce called Chouila which is pretty decent too. Half a dozen shakes of that with chorizo pimps up beans on toast nicely.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm pretty sure capsaicin has very minimal detrimental effects to your body, it just feels like it does. Birds can eat them no problem because they don't perceive it as a huge problem.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Smoke604 posted:

Not sure where you are in the UK, but Waitrose seems to regularly stock dried chipotles. ASDA and Morrisons are also stocking a Mexican chipotle hot sauce called Chouila which is pretty decent too. Half a dozen shakes of that with chorizo pimps up beans on toast nicely.

Sainsbury's sell it in little jars too, in the same areas as umami paste and the like.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I'm pretty sure capsaicin has very minimal detrimental effects to your body, it just feels like it does. Birds can eat them no problem because they don't perceive it as a huge problem.

I think birds lack the receptors, so don't respond to it.

The thing to bear in mind is that it's the dose that makes the poison, so there will be an amount that kills, but it's probably far in excess of what you could actually eat (barring an asthma attack or a fountainous ebola-like bout of bloody diarrhea).

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Ddraig posted:

Apparently this is actually the reason spicy peppers exist. Birds are much better at dispersing seeds than mammals so the spiciness evolved to stop us fuckers from eating them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
UKMT: A fountainous ebola-like bout of bloody diarrhea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

KKKlean Energy posted:

UKMT: A fountainous ebola-like bout of bloody diarrhea
diarrhoea :colbert:

This is the UK megathread, after all

• Locked thread