Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

gently caress this is kind of a shot in the dark but earlier this week on the Stern Sirius channel they played this old clip where Howard and some people (I think Jackie but idk) were clowning on this guys accent who I'm pretty sure was on the staff at the time. He said he went to private catholic school and they would mock him going "gathlick sgewl" and stuff like that. Did anyone else listen to that or have any idea who it might be/what the clip was?

I didn't hear it but your reference of "gathlick" certainly causes Grillo to spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcMS1XgZlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

I didn't hear it but your reference of "gathlick" certainly causes Grillo to spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcMS1XgZlI

:hfive:

I had exactly the same thought process.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

gently caress this is kind of a shot in the dark but earlier this week on the Stern Sirius channel they played this old clip where Howard and some people (I think Jackie but idk) were clowning on this guys accent who I'm pretty sure was on the staff at the time. He said he went to private catholic school and they would mock him going "gathlick sgewl" and stuff like that. Did anyone else listen to that or have any idea who it might be/what the clip was?

That definitely was a Grillo ball busting. Hard to say the exact clip, as goofing on Grillo's accent was a regular event.
A youtube search for "goof on Grillo" came back with 1000 hits.
Have fun....DOUCHE!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

That definitely was a Grillo ball busting. Hard to say the exact clip, as goofing on Grillo's accent was a regular event.

Sternthology for 8/12 has a "Grillo vs. Ralph" argument from 2010. I assume it must be that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm working on a zizzle reel

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
tahp shelv likah

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
But I have no blace do go!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
The fact you can't own it makes you weaker than everyone already thought you are!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yup. Definitely Grillo. What a weirdo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking about catholic school, I've noticed that anyone I talk to who has gone through it pronounces their H's like "hayche". At least in Eastern Canada. Anyone else notice this?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking about catholic school, I've noticed that anyone I talk to who has gone through it pronounces their H's like "hayche". At least in Eastern Canada. Anyone else notice this?

I went to a catholic school in Western Canada, and we don't pronounce it like that. Might be a "closer to French Canada" thinkg?
Our "spent time in Europe" principal did pronounce the "hayche", but he also pronounced aluminium "alu-min-eee-um", and not "al-u-min-um" like it's commonly pronounced in NA.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

My favorite Grillo moment was when that D-list "producer" wanted to make a TV pilot about young Grillo and his times in his trailer but couldn't even afford the 5 large to pay the lot fees owed on the loving thing.

edit: Here's the appearence, the TV show stuff starts up in part 2 (but all four parts are loving gold):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3ZSFvjzAI

Then there's also this incident, perhaps the only time I agreed with Stuttering John's position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRL1SBh0Hw

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

haljordan posted:

Then there's also this incident, perhaps the only time I agreed with Stuttering John's position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRL1SBh0Hw

That is classic Stern show right there. A group ball busting of Grillo and TONS of John stuttering his way through his arguments.
Plus you get Fred's Gange impression.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baba booey's on Hollywood Game Night. Is this a repeat? I don't watch the show much.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Baba booey's on Hollywood Game Night. Is this a repeat? I don't watch the show much.

Yeah I've definitely seen that one before.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kragger99 posted:

I went to a catholic school in Western Canada, and we don't pronounce it like that. Might be a "closer to French Canada" thinkg?
Our "spent time in Europe" principal did pronounce the "hayche", but he also pronounced aluminium "alu-min-eee-um", and not "al-u-min-um" like it's commonly pronounced in NA.

A few English people say hayche because they're either:
a) Posh Eton twats who run the conservative leadership (Boris Johnson, David Cameron, et al)
b) wannabe posh Eton twats who cover up their lack of pedigree and educational prestige by saying things like "hayche"

Usually it's B, so I would reckon the eastern Canadian private-school thing is leaning towards some sense of colonial validation of the illusion of the suggestion of the hint of being One of The Chosen People of the Olde Country.

Bonus: It shows you off as definitely NOT being American, because in Murica I believe you'd get your rear end kicked sayin' something like that, man.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Maybe the nuns were french catholics.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

A few English people say hayche because they're either:
a) Posh Eton twats who run the conservative leadership (Boris Johnson, David Cameron, et al)
b) wannabe posh Eton twats who cover up their lack of pedigree and educational prestige by saying things like "hayche"

Usually it's B, so I would reckon the eastern Canadian private-school thing is leaning towards some sense of colonial validation of the illusion of the suggestion of the hint of being One of The Chosen People of the Olde Country.

Bonus: It shows you off as definitely NOT being American, because in Murica I believe you'd get your rear end kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Nicely put.
I'm from Alberta, which is about as red-neck as Canada can git. You'd get funny looks here if you pronounced the hayche here too.
At least my mom/aunt/sister/gamma (same person) told me how to say dem things right.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Those of you listening to the Gilbert pack, his 1991-04-05 appearance doesn't seem be in it. The classic one where Howard and Gilbert leave a message on Jerry Seinfeld's answering machine. Unless I deleted it by mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzymloefZXk

After listening to this for the hundredth time, I have to know. Has Gilbert and Jerry ever been on Howard together? Have Gilbert and Jerry done anything together? Searching for their names on youtube, you just get Gilbert doing impressions.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Howard making Robin Willams' death about himself was just about the most Howard thing.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Howard making Robin Willams' death about himself was just about the most Howard thing.

I didn't hear, how'd he do that?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If I had to guess, Howard told his Man of the Year story for the 1000th time.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

He said he had been thinking about how his one interview with Robin back in the WNBC days was poorly handled and he didn't conduct himself properly. He claimed that he was getting ready to reach out to Robin to apologize and then Beth walked in and told him that he had been found dead. Interestingly, Howard says this happened in the afternoon, yet the news didn't break until much later in the evening on the east coast. And then he announced that they are naming their newest kittens "Patch" and "Adams" and that Beth is having a foster kitten giveaway, all in Robin's honor. I made up that last sentence, but come on, you believed it, right?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 15, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

What story is this?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
The bababooey version of the Game of Thrones theme brightened my commute. I wish they hadn't stepped on it so much.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

What story is this?

Howard was going to be in the movie "Man of the Year" but Robin Williams was in it instead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
No. Howard was the FIRST CHOICE for the part. They only hired Robin Williams after HOWARD TURNED IT DOWN. But, of course, by hiring Robin Williams they had to rewrite the story a bit, which is a shame because HOWARD'S VERSION WAS A-MAZZZZZING.

In short, Howard is better actor than Robin Williams.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

No. Howard was the FIRST CHOICE for the part. They only hired Robin Williams after HOWARD TURNED IT DOWN. But, of course, by hiring Robin Williams they had to rewrite the story a bit, which is a shame because HOWARD'S VERSION WAS A-MAZZZZZING.

In short, Howard is better actor than Robin Williams.

The best part of that movie by far was Laura Linney's drug-induced freakout in the coffee shop.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I just finished They Call Me Baba Booey and I thought it was pretty good. It gave me new insight into how hard Gary worked to get where he is (always hustling and working multiple jobs even when he was a kid) and what a bad home life he had with his bipolar mother. The chapter about his brother who died of AIDS is really sad. It was a quick read too. It's 300 pages but I read it in six days, which for me is pretty fast. It has some funny stories about the early days of the show and working near Imus and Roz Frank at WNBC. I wish it had more dirt about former members of the show though, like Stuttering John, who is barely mentioned at all. There is one story about what an rear end in a top hat scumbag Artie was on their Afghanistan trip, but for most of the book Gary is nice about everyone. I think it's worth reading if you're a fan, and it only cost me 49¢ so there's that.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Gary does seem like a really down-to-earth, genuine guy. The audiobook of Baba Booey is pretty decent as well, and like most everything Gary does, gets goofed on heavily on the show. My desert island list, boff! :haw:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I went to a friend's house recently and he had a Sonos speaker system, which was actually pretty nice, but all I could think of was "Sonos, boff".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

And speaking of books, Artie's second one was a tough read. I guess I didn't know what to expect but man that thing is depressing.

moot the hopple posted:

I went to a friend's house recently and he had a Sonos speaker system, which was actually pretty nice, but all I could think of was "Sonos, boff".

Did he have bar stools set up, too?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
What was the story about Artie in A-Stan?

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Basically Artie was in full-on meltdown mode because the military couldn't get them a flight out to be home by July 4, so he lashed out at everyone. Gary was filming it all going down at the airport, Artie caught him and called him some pretty harsh things. He said he never saw Artie in that state, and he just felt he wanted to document it but Artie felt he had different motives.

I think that was added as a new chapter for paperback, actually. I dunno - it's damned if you do damned if you don't, really. As a fan of Artie, I lost a lot of respect for him with that second book because he told a lot of dark, depressing poo poo that went down circa 2010-2012 only to find out at the end that he was making a fair amount of it up.

rear end in a top hat.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cliche Guevara posted:

Basically Artie was in full-on meltdown mode because the military couldn't get them a flight out to be home by July 4, so he lashed out at everyone. Gary was filming it all going down at the airport, Artie caught him and called him some pretty harsh things. He said he never saw Artie in that state, and he just felt he wanted to document it but Artie felt he had different motives.

I haven't read the book, but in hindsight wasn't it a result of Artie going through heroin withdrawls?

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Riosan posted:

Gary does seem like a really down-to-earth, genuine guy. The audiobook of Baba Booey is pretty decent as well, and like most everything Gary does, gets goofed on heavily on the show. My desert island list, boff! :haw:

These are not necessarily the best songs, but they are the ones that you would want to listen to on a jukebox, the most!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Cliche Guevara posted:

I think that was added as a new chapter for paperback, actually. I dunno - it's damned if you do damned if you don't, really. As a fan of Artie, I lost a lot of respect for him with that second book because he told a lot of dark, depressing poo poo that went down circa 2010-2012 only to find out at the end that he was making a fair amount of it up.

rear end in a top hat.

Every time Artie mentions his therapist on the replays I cringe, knowing that everything he's saying is a bald-faced lie. The worst part is that he's so convincing because the made-up details are so elaborate and he knows how to just pepper them into a conversation so they sound casual and forthright.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

Every time Artie mentions his therapist on the replays I cringe, knowing that everything he's saying is a bald-faced lie. The worst part is that he's so convincing because the made-up details are so elaborate and he knows how to just pepper them into a conversation so they sound casual and forthright.

*cough* Urgh...Howard. I won't be coming in today. I'm sick. *cough*

Hindsight makes some of those comments either laughable, kind of annoying, or just kind of tragic. Artie's a really funny guy, but his whole story is just sad.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Everything about this screenshot Howard tweeted today is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
House so big you have to text to find someone.