Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anyone familiar with how Sprint is in Washington D.C.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I'm not there but this might help: http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=Washington,+DC,+USA%7Ccoverage

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I fly there every other month and have poor service.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mrchina posted:

I fly there every other month and have poor service.

You would think such a major city would have really good service even from Sprint, but nothing surprises me when it comes to lovely service and Sprint. :/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It was behind awful a year and a half ago when I last had sprint there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wouldn't some of the blame be D.C. = Government = Regulation = Hard to get permits to actually get things done?

Sort of the same thing as Sacramento City here.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wouldn't some of the blame be D.C. = Government = Regulation = Hard to get permits to actually get things done?

Sort of the same thing as Sacramento City here.
Yeah. The majority of unfinished tower upgrades are in California, Hawaii, Florida, and between DC and NYC. Definitely a government/permitting issue.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Any sales/deals coming up? Been sitting on an upgrade and the GS5 Sport has been what I want. If only it would drop from $199!

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone use wifi calling on a regular basis? I get no reception at work, so I'd like to know if this is reliable.

Do you need a CDMA signal for wifi calling to work? It would seem pointless to require a cellular signal, as that defeats the purpose of using wifi calling, but I read some conflicting things about it online, so I'd like input from someone who uses it regularly.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

PittPanther posted:

Anyone use wifi calling on a regular basis? I get no reception at work, so I'd like to know if this is reliable.

Do you need a CDMA signal for wifi calling to work? It would seem pointless to require a cellular signal, as that defeats the purpose of using wifi calling, but I read some conflicting things about it online, so I'd like input from someone who uses it regularly.
I just asked on another forum, and the way it seems to work is that you do not put the phone into Airplane mode and then enable wifi. What you do instead is enable wifi calling, and the special phone software automatically turns off the cellular radios until the wifi signal is lost.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

td4guy posted:

I just asked on another forum, and the way it seems to work is that you do not put the phone into Airplane mode and then enable wifi. What you do instead is enable wifi calling, and the special phone software automatically turns off the cellular radios until the wifi signal is lost.

So it seems like you don't need a cellular signal, perfect.

I'm split between getting a Galaxy S4 vs HTC One M8. I'd appreciate any input from anyone here who uses wifi calling regularly who has either of these phones.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I said come in! posted:

I'm here now and never really have any issues. :iiam:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sometimes I am randomly told I'm roaming. This happens at home (but only in my bedroom and not in ANY other room if the house), while driving down the highway, and anytime I walk into a particular local store. None of this makes sense to me at all. As far as I can tell, these areas are all serviced by the same cell tower, and are within 5 miles of each other. This does not happen near my workplace, over 30 miles away from my home, only within that small radius. I don't get great cell reception here, but I've never dropped connection completely. Today I was sitting in my room and went from normal to roaming and back to normal again without the phone moving at all.

I've got roaming data turned off, so this isn't costing me money, and it usually happens when I'm out and not using data, or at home and I'm on wifi anyway, but I'm sort of confused as to why it's happening. Is this common on the sprint network? I've only ever had verizon before and never had this problem with them.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That's normal when you don't have great reception. Back when I used Windows Mobile, it happened all the time and it was extra-noticeable for me because the phone's screen would always turn on when it switched.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Funkmaster General posted:

Sometimes I am randomly told I'm roaming. This happens at home (but only in my bedroom and not in ANY other room if the house), while driving down the highway, and anytime I walk into a particular local store. None of this makes sense to me at all. As far as I can tell, these areas are all serviced by the same cell tower, and are within 5 miles of each other. This does not happen near my workplace, over 30 miles away from my home, only within that small radius. I don't get great cell reception here, but I've never dropped connection completely. Today I was sitting in my room and went from normal to roaming and back to normal again without the phone moving at all.

I've got roaming data turned off, so this isn't costing me money, and it usually happens when I'm out and not using data, or at home and I'm on wifi anyway, but I'm sort of confused as to why it's happening. Is this common on the sprint network? I've only ever had verizon before and never had this problem with them.

Data roaming is free on sprint. I'd leave all roaming on and disable the alerts since it doesn't hurt and may help your reception in a lovely area.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Imaginos posted:

Any sales/deals coming up? Been sitting on an upgrade and the GS5 Sport has been what I want. If only it would drop from $199!

Maybe? We'll see next week!
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2014/08/15/sprints-new-ceo-announces-disruptive-mobile-plans-coming-next-week/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Can someone explain to me why it is never brought up or discussed, and hell even the "Above average Readers of ARS just downvotes it without any sort of response in the comments of a relevant article".

Why in the world do all the Cellular carriers keep advertising 4G LTE, XLTE, LTE-A, Whatever which can offer up to 150-300Mbit Wireless Data Speeds, yet you have GB Caps, or an "Unlimited Plan" that the carrier will throttle to below 2G speeds if you "abuse" in some way?

Why in the hell does anyone need more than 6Mbit on a Mobile Device in the first place if it is all about network congestion when users actually use a lot of data on their "Super Fast" network? Why does throttling always seem to drop people down to pre 3G speeds for the sake of throttling?

Why in the heck do they care how much you use, or how you use your data, when you are easily paying more for most data plans on all carriers, then many people pay for home internet? At the cost, you should be able to use it however the heck you deem fit.

Why in the hoopla doesn't Cellular carriers just sell plans similar to landline internet based on Speed tiers instead of GB caps? I know they cannot guarantee their speeds as easily as a Landline provider, but with enough LTE coverage, they should be able to offer Unlimited, and still provide full 3G and then when you have it, 4G up to a certain easy to throttle speed (say 6M since most 4G LTE can reach that).

I haven't seen any articles approach it this way and outside of the FCC fuckery going on right now, I am assuming it is because they want more money, but do not want to actually provide it without the possibility of squeezing out even more money when marketing something as only a half truth. (Hence Caps, Throttling, etc).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Why does Corporation do Thing?

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am assuming it is because they want more money.

Took an awful lot of words to get you here.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Can someone explain to me why it is never brought up or discussed, and hell even the "Above average Readers of ARS just downvotes it without any sort of response in the comments of a relevant article".

Why in the world do all the Cellular carriers keep advertising 4G LTE, XLTE, LTE-A, Whatever which can offer up to 150-300Mbit Wireless Data Speeds, yet you have GB Caps, or an "Unlimited Plan" that the carrier will throttle to below 2G speeds if you "abuse" in some way?

It's never brought up because what you're asking for is completly backwards from reality and physics. There is a limited amount of bandwidth in the air. This is different from wired connections where you have a fixed limit down the line.

If you have a certain speed (say using 30% of the available bandwidth) and then 9 other people with your service show up in say a restaurant then by the limits of physics your connectivity speed must drop down to at least 1/3 of what you were seeing before they show up. As it happens it would actually be a greater drop due to the fact that there is additional signalling information (for determining whose turn it is to talk).

Another stupid analogy is imagine using a cellular tower like a conversation between you and another person, if you're the only person in the room you can get the undivided attention of the tower. However if you go to Lets Make a Deal and 500 people are yelling at a tower it's not going to pay much attention to you when selecting between door number 1 or 2.

The carriers need faster and faster technologies to serve the exact same speeds if there are more and more users using the same bandwidths. This is part of the reason why TMo currently has the fastest average speeds with fewer towers/slower technologies. They simply have fewer users.

In short what you are describing could only be possible if you were the only person in the world using a given frequency, because you are not it's impossible to guarantee anything.

If you want unlimited (really)/faster internet for $70 a month go sign up for TMo prepaid. Just keep in mind it might get slow if too many other people sign up.

It's a physical reality that not every can using high speed wireless constantly and the carriers have to deal with that and have done a decent job. Don't sign contracts use unlocked phones and always be ready to move to a carrier/plan that serves you best.

Currently I love my unlocked Moto X with the $30 5GB/100 minute nerd plan from TMo, but I'm ready to jump to Att/GSM MVNOs if I start getting anything less than the $30 worth of service I'm paying for.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

There might be a deal when the note gets released. I know last month they were doing double the value on buy backs towards the s5 and s5 sport and note 3. So a gs3 would have gotten you 130 bucks off that 199

What they are going to announce is a less complicated Cheaper plan lay out ( most likely goodbye framily)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Jliznel posted:

There might be a deal when the note gets released. I know last month they were doing double the value on buy backs towards the s5 and s5 sport and note 3. So a gs3 would have gotten you 130 bucks off that 199

What they are going to announce is a less complicated Cheaper plan lay out ( most likely goodbye framily)

My guess is a metro style flat rate unlimited for $50 or something and then you just add your phone on top.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In case anyone was waiting, Root for All LG-G3's and other LG's is out. (And they left out IOMonster from the credits).

Super fast and looks to not be patchable anytime soon.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Does anyone have experience with sprints home internet offerings? I'm in a brand new apartment building that I can only get slow-ish internet for around $50 a month. I get good lte speeds with my note 3 through Sprint so as long as they don't have a stupid cap at like a gig or two I may do that. It seems impossible to find pricing on their website or any real info.

Edit: I don't know why I kept going to clear Sprint, but it looks like it's pay per gig which I'm not interested in.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Biodome posted:

My guess is a metro style flat rate unlimited for $50 or something and then you just add your phone on top.

your probably right, they are prob going to try and undercut t mobile so lower then there plans

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You know what kind of plan I want? I want to be able to customize it to say get a lot of data, but very little talk. Like under 100 minutes.

I'm on Sero and even that seems expensive for how much I use it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Jliznel posted:

your probably right, they are prob going to try and undercut t mobile so lower then there plans

Well, I was wrong. Their plan to disrupt the industry is to follow the rest of the industry and get rid of unlimited data and move to shared. http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article1250074.html

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Cheaper plans, thanks in part to the fact we won't be blowing ad budget on those dumb as hell Framly commercials.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint's new Family Share Pack plan pricing effective 8/22

Up to 10 lines sharing a bucket. The per line charges for phones, tablets, and broadband devices (but not the $40 one for lines with discounted/subsidized devices) are waived until 12/31/2015 if you sign up before 9/30/2014 for the 20GB or higher bucket. Must port in number and buy a device on EasyPay. Plus there's a bonus 2GB per line--it's not clear if this is tied to the <Sept 30 Early Bird Special and expires 12/31/2015.
EasyPay installment payments are extra.

And here's how Sprint's advertising compares their 20GB bucket to the others of the Big 4. If you don't sign up in time to get the per line charges waived, it's the same price as AT&T and Verizon but with double the data.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 19, 2014

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Varies a lot depending on where you are. I get decent LTE at my office in northeast. Recently a tower must have come online closer to downtown as I now sometimes get 15mb downloads indoors in the Logan circle area. But a lot of downtown is also still 3g. I also get good LTE service in Arlington. Unsure about the Maryland side. Closer to Baltimore should be good though. I think that was one of the first areas they did.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

No unlimited data = no thanks, you tossers. Ridiculous that this is still a thing people have to worry about in 2014.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Luceo posted:

No unlimited data = no thanks, you tossers. Ridiculous that this is still a thing people have to worry about in 2014.

Does anyone know if Sprint will let me see how much data I've been using so I know if I still need unlimited? I've been thinking about going to Verizon but I don't want my normal habits to make my bill explode.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

rock2much posted:

Does anyone know if Sprint will let me see how much data I've been using so I know if I still need unlimited? I've been thinking about going to Verizon but I don't want my normal habits to make my bill explode.

Just log into your Mysprint on their website. It's right there when your profile loads.

I know I cannot go elsewhere because of my usage now that I have LTE in my area.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just log into your Mysprint on their website. It's right there when your profile loads.

I know I cannot go elsewhere because of my usage now that I have LTE in my area.

How much do you actually use? TMo gives 5gb full speed for $30/mo + unlimited throttled after that.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

rock2much posted:

EdEddnEddy posted:

*3 from your device will also tell you your usage, your bill will have it in bytes as well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Luceo posted:

Are you sure you can't get unlimited data? My plan offers it for $10 a month extra.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Stick100 posted:

How much do you actually use? TMo gives 5gb full speed for $30/mo + unlimited throttled after that.

On 3G, I could pull 3-7G a month.

On LTE since I got it mid last month, 21G+ Sooo... I ain't leaving my SERO.

Downloading Humble Bundle games, Some Tethering (though that's not the majority of my data usage at all), Twitch streaming (Can now watch at full res), YouTube, Netflix. Etc.

Remember my home ISP is 1.5Mbit DSl, so with the 3-9Mbit I get at home now, I can use LTE and actually stream those 1440P YouTube vids on my G3. :woop:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'd have to agree.

That's my usage for last month.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Nothing special for 2 lines. :/

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Jliznel posted:

I have an s4 currently and didn't plan on trading it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I set up WiFi calling and texting on my Nexus 5? Can this only be done in Google Voice?