Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Check out all this convenience store clerk - robbery victim blaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
And if you want to kill yourself, enjoy this comment section.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Radish posted:

At this point this is all fairly irrelevant just like finding that Trayvon Martin had a "burglary kit" (a.k.a screw driver) in his locker. It's to build an initial narrative to give racist people evidence that they are correct in their prejudices and then not listen to anything that happens afterwards since they have been vindicated when the dead person can't defend himself.

Stealing cigars doesn't really lead to getting shot from 35 feet away without a hell of a lot more explaining.

I was once denied alcohol with a valid ID because the person I was with didn't have an ID (he was 20).

Even worse, it's to give "normal" everyday citizens evidence that this wasn't the police murdering an unarmed man, but stopping a fleeing felon.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tigren posted:

Even worse, it's to give "normal" everyday citizens evidence that this wasn't the police murdering an unarmed man, but stopping a fleeing felon.

The sad thing is that it seems most people agree that you can shoot to stop a fleeing felon, even if that felony is a nonviolent crime.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

the posted:

Keep talking about the whodunit and let's all forget about how a small town police force fired tear gas at peaceful protesters after they killed an unarmed black male.

But if he shoplifted all further actions were justified. Summary murder and treating peaceful protestors as enemy combatants is how any civilised society would respond to a theft of merchandise worth up to $50. Therefore establishing his guilt is of paramount importance.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
According to MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ferguson-police-name-michael-brown?cid=sm_m_main_1_20140815_29822566

Dorian Johnson's attorney says he told the FBI, DOJ, and St. Louis County police that he was in the store and Brown took the cigars

quote:

“We see that there’s tape, that they claim they got a tape that shows there was some sort of strong-armed robbery,” said Freeman Bosley, Johnson’s attorney. “We need to see that tape, my client did tell us and told the FBI that they went into the store. He told FBI that he did take cigarillos, he told that to the DOJ and the St. Louis County Police.”

So, congrats. You killed a kid who took some cigars.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
While this will buy off the Fox News OBAMA's MILITARY POLICE crowd, it won't distract the FBI, right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

the posted:

And if you want to kill yourself, enjoy this comment section.

I didn't read the comments there, but I can assure you, it's the same everywhere. Good thing they waited a week to release anything.

Also starting to see a lot of "The cop had to go to the hospital due to the beating he received" comments too.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Slo-Tek posted:

While this will buy off the Fox News OBAMA's MILITARY POLICE crowd, it won't distract the FBI, right?

Probably not. Because it still comes down to whether or not lethal force was justified.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

the yeti posted:

You guys are loving falling for it.

I feel like the infatuation with lionizing the victim in every one of these police brutality cases instead of focusing on the fact that being a young shithead should not be punished with a street execution goes a long way toward helping the police use character as a distraction.

It also certainly doesn't help with the credibility and forcefulness of the narrative when info comes out shortly thereafter which trashes the "sweet perfect young man" story that is being pushed.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Tigren posted:

Racists are normal everyday citizens that's why it's so insidious and hard to get rid of.

Jarmak posted:

I feel like the infatuation with lionizing the victim in every one of these police brutality cases instead of focusing on the fact that being a young shithead should not be punished with a street execution goes a long way toward helping the police use character as a distraction.

It also certainly doesn't help with the credibility and forcefulness of the narrative when info comes out shortly thereafter which trashes the "sweet perfect young man" story that is being pushed.

As long as respectability politics are a thing this will keep happening.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slo-Tek posted:

It'll also buy off a huge chunk of racism-is-over CNN watchers who think their own property is worth loss of life to defend, so who knows if there will end up being any impetus for the Feds to deal with it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
In Minnesota shoplifting $50 worth of merch is a misdemeanor and is typically punishable by restitution payments, a fine of no more than $1,000 and/or no more than 90 days in jail. It is not punishable by death, and it is certainly not punishable until after due process has been carried out.

This is yet another example of smearing a black victim. Undoubtedly, the white criminal will get glowing headlines which attempt to make excuses for his behavior.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jarmak posted:

That's astute and I agree for the most part but the US has a huge problem with "deserving it" in the abstract karma/divine revenge sense so I'm not sure how having a more level headed approach could come about.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Right. This whole thing adds nuance but not justification, and at this point this has gone way beyond the initial shooting.

Even if this shooting turns out to be 100% justified it would still not be enough because of the way this has been handled. Beyond that, it's clear there's a really big mistrust of the police in the area that the department needs to work out getting back into their good graces

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

jackofarcades posted:

According to MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ferguson-police-name-michael-brown?cid=sm_m_main_1_20140815_29822566

Dorian Johnson's attorney says he told the FBI, DOJ, and St. Louis County police that he was in the store and Brown took the cigars

So, congrats. You killed a kid who took some cigars.

I'm going to St. Louis next week, I can't wait to hear people justifying the shooting now. Even many of the ostensibly liberal people I know in St. Louis have some pretty sketchy opinions no racial matters. I've been seeing a lot of it. One guy I don't know was being an rear end in a top hat on another friend's facebook post and repeatedly said the kid probably deserved it. He mentioned how he'd been robbed once in Ferguson and what a terrible place it was because of it. I looked at his profile and it was all full of support Obama and gay rights stuff. Missouri "liberals", man. Goddamn. Can't imagine how I would've turned out if I'd stayed. I look back at my own views when I was younger and realized just how racist they actually were. But thankfully I grew up a bit and gained perspective.

Ex-mayor of St. Louis Freeman Bosley? That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009
God drat it. Every white person I've talked to about his killing is now "See? Police were right, he was obviously a thug! He grabbed that poor tiny shop keeper, so why wouldn't he also try to grab a cops gun? Checkmate lieberal scum!"

Why the gently caress can't they accept that he didn't deserve to die like this? I mean, these are "small government" people that are perfectly fine with an extrajudicial execution because the suspect was black and "thug".

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

At this point this is all fairly irrelevant just like finding that Trayvon Martin had a "burglary kit" (a.k.a screw driver) in his locker. It's to build an initial narrative to give racist people evidence that they are correct in their prejudices and then not listen to anything that happens afterwards since they have been vindicated when the dead person can't defend himself.

Stealing cigars doesn't really lead to getting shot from 35 feet away without a hell of a lot more explaining.

Releasing a police report & photos from the scene of an alleged crime are not at all similar to anything in the Trayvon Martin case. Trying to draw parallels is pretty drat stupid.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In Minnesota shoplifting $50 worth of merch is a misdemeanor and is typically punishable by restitution payments, a fine of no more than $1,000 and/or no more than 90 days in jail. It is not punishable by death, and it is certainly not punishable until after due process has been carried out.

The video appears to show an assault of the shopkeeper, which upgrades shoplifting/petty theft to the felony of robbery.

You can also assume he is a criminal while simultaneously being critical of the use of lethal force against an unarmed man who by eyewitness accounts posed 0 danger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jarmak posted:

Yes. Let's say Brown had just finished slashing the tires of wheelchairs and was kicking puppies all the way down the street, while singing off-key Meatloaf covers. It doesn't change the important pieces of this case: improper use of lethal force, grotesque police overaction in the face of protests, and the lack of transparency in their investigation of the shooting.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Has anyone noticed that the police narrative suddenly has nothing to do with the officer stopping them for walking in the street?

As a witness, the FPD has changed their story several times since the shooting happened. Would a person who had changed their story so much be allowed to testify in court?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

This is yet another example of smearing a black victim. Undoubtedly, the white criminal will get glowing headlines which attempt to make excuses for his behavior.

This has been mentioned before but this wasn't considered shoplifting; the physical altercation with the store's clerk upgraded to robbery.

Not excusing anything, just wanting to be sure everyone's on the same page. If I am wrong please disregard.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Jarmak posted:

Given how keen the police are to smear everyone they beat up or kill with any crime they can think of it is not unreasonable to assume their victims are innocent until they prove otherwise. Also, you know, innocent until proven guilty.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

God drat it. Every white person I've talked to about his killing is now "See? Police were right, he was obviously a thug! He grabbed that poor tiny shop keeper, so why wouldn't he also try to grab a cops gun? Checkmate lieberal scum!"

Why the gently caress can't they accept that he didn't deserve to die like this? I mean, these are "small government" people that are perfectly fine with an extrajudicial execution because the suspect was black and "thug".

Because it never happens to them. It's the same reason Hannity and Scarborough were talking about how they are always "Yes Ma'am and Sir" to officers and "They've never had trouble, therefore.."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Has anyone noticed that the police narrative suddenly has nothing to do with the officer stopping them for walking in the street?

As a witness, the FPD has changed their story several times since the shooting happened. Would a person who had changed their story so much be allowed to testify in court?

"I remembered the incident incorrectly."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It does not look like an assault to me.

Can you cite the portion of Missouri law you are using to determine there was an assault.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

euphronius posted:

It does not look like an assault to me.

Can you cite the portion of Missouri law you are using to determine there was an assault.

Anytime you put hands on someone against their will it's assault, pretty much

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

papersack posted:

I feel like this is attempting a narrative shift.

Its because actual facts are coming out about what happened and not what everyone's individual fantasy can hold true anymore.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are there any other witnesses to the shooting to back up Dorian Johnson's account of it? If it turns into a he said/he said between him and the cop then it's pretty much over.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Wow, I'm really impressed.

It turns out that if you are filmed firing tear gas at reporters and then dismantling their equipment things suddenly become relevant to the national discourse. I'm happy that this led to a deescalation across the board.

I was happily surprised to hear a 30 minute run down on this on Australian state media, that heavily critisised the local police.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is a tort of battery.

The closet thing I can see in Missouri law is that Brown allegedly touched shopkeeper in a way that shopkeeper would find to be offensive, but shopkeeper was locking him into the store.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Republicans posted:

Are there any other witnesses to the shooting to back up Dorian Johnson's account of it? If it turns into a he said/he said between him and the cop then it's pretty much over.

Democracy Now a few days ago aired some interviews with other witnesses. And doesn't anonymous claim to have video of Brown's execution? Or was that debunked as well?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Republicans posted:

There was at least one other female eyewitness and possibly a few other bystanders. I haven't heard anyone except the police say Michael Brown was doing anything besides running away with his hands above his head.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Republicans posted:

Why didn't the officer have his camera on?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Its because actual facts are coming out about what happened and not what everyone's individual fantasy can hold true anymore.

No facts that matter.

It doesn't matter if he was a convicted serial killer. If he was walking down the street and shot in the back it wasn't justified.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If the PD had this part of the story which would immediately spin it for them, why would they wait so long and make such bullshit excuses about him just being in the street?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what does a week's worth of investigation with video footage and eye witness interviews have to do with a cop who receieved a vague description over the radio ten minutes later?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

McDowell posted:

Why didn't the officer have his camera on?

Somehow the FPD can afford tanks, but not dashcams. Regardless of the circumstances, if the officer had even had a dashcam (to say nothing of an on-body camera), Michael Brown would still be alive.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Republicans posted:

Anderson Cooper interviewed a young woman but I can't recall what recollection of events were. What I recall was kind of incoherent, but I took that as a her being nervous on a television interview.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spacman posted:

Wow, I'm really impressed.

It turns out that if you are filmed firing tear gas at reporters and then dismantling their equipment things suddenly become relevant to the national discourse. I'm happy that this led to a deescalation across the board.

I was happily surprised to hear a 30 minute run down on this on Australian state media, that heavily critisised the local police.

It's all ashes now, he took swishers. He push a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

When are we going to see the Coroner's report? Or have we already? I'm probably behind in the facts of the case, are we absolutely 100% sure where Brown was shot (e.g. front/back)?

• Locked thread