Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mister Edison? There's a Serbian-American fellow with a funny-looking electric supply system at the door. Claims to know more than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
How many of you know that there was a Mad Magazine TV Special in the 1970s? It's on YouTube here.

It’s a half-hour show featuring animated adaptations of MAD materials. Included are some Don Martin cartoons, Spy vs. Spy, and The Oddfather, which takes up a good chunk of the special. Many sources say it never aired (it was supposed to be on ABC), but it did, in fact, get broadcast in syndication. More than few people told me they saw it on their local station.

More information here. ABC backed out of airing it because the sponsors threatened to stop running ads on the network if they aired it. Apparently they don't appreciate all the times MAD made fun of their products.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 15, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

I don't even get this one. Are conservatives pissed off at CFLs? :psyduck:

To hear my parents talk about it, Obama's thirst to take away our guns is only matched by his hunger to take away all the good lightbulbs. There's more, but this isn't a political thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Peter Parker is Bad At Both His Jobs

Peter's reaction mirrors my own.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Juliet Jones question: was the just-finished daily storyline the last time Eve was a regular? If so, I'm going to miss her.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Juliet Jones question: was the just-finished daily storyline the last time Eve was a regular? If so, I'm going to miss her.

I'd be really surprised, but I'm speaking as somebody who doesn't know anything more about Juliet Jones than that it ran a long time and what I posted so far.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Since nobody else has done it yet, I guess I'll post today's actual Nancy.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

I think I prefer the other one.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm SO ANGRY about technological progress!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

God, it's amazing how easily and naturally the phrase "gently caress you, Gilchrist" has slipped into my vocabulary since this thread started exposing me to modern Nancy.

That is possibly the most half-assed balloon placement I've seen in quite a while (plus the colorist messed up the balloon tail, so it looks like the woman in the pink blouse is holding a flesh-colored knife between her fingers).

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones presents "Rufferto"
Will try to post some Sergio comics. After Image Comics and Dark Horse took over publishing Groo the Wanderer, Sergio started doing a bonus comic featuring Groo's dog, Rufferto, in the back cover. Rufferto was based on Sergio's real life dog, and in the comic he served as the only living being that's loyal to the bumbling barbarian that is Groo.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 15, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

How much money is a woman allowed to have before she's no longer decent?

Oh dear. This is about to be insufferably 50's, isn't it?

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 15, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm not positive the people saying the anti-cfl thing is anti-tech get it fully; it's not the tech, it's the GOVERNMENT mandated tech, and therefore evil.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Oh, Phantom, don't even pretend you weren't going to win.

Classic Prince Valiant

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: That reminds me, I was really surprised to find out that the Canary Islands were named after dogs. You learn new things from the weirdest places.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Are they finishing up a musical number?

Rex Morgan MD

That's treason, Junie!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Selachian posted:

God, it's amazing how easily and naturally the phrase "gently caress you, Gilchrist" has slipped into my vocabulary since this thread started exposing me to modern Nancy.
I actually sort of thought it was a cute joke.

But I was reading it as 'here is an update to an overused trope!' and not a manchild whining, which is more likely to be what Gilchrist is doing, isn't it?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Spiderdrake posted:

I actually sort of thought it was a cute joke.

But I was reading it as 'here is an update to an overused trope!' and not a manchild whining, which is more likely to be what Gilchrist is doing, isn't it?

Look at the scowl on the little man, and his clearly lettered EPA hat. It's basically a political cartoon. Only Gilchrist's sole political stance seems to be "This whole country's gone straight down the tubes, since Woodstock!"

Oh, and the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 was introduced in the House during the Bush Administration.

B-b-but OBAMAAAAAAA! :bahgawd:

Clitch fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 15, 2014

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Julet Esqu posted:

Peter Parker is Bad At Both His Jobs

I love how I can drop in to this thread every thousand posts or so and nothing of interest will have happened in Spider-Man.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Look at that last panel!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Are they finishing up a musical number?
Of course! Studies have shown improved results for minor medical procedures when patients and their families do the Big Gay Logan. Some kind of healing factor thing, I guess.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The mention of the MAD tv special made me remember that in the early 90s they made a Far Side TV special. I remember it as really disconcerting and weird, and not in a good way, like something that was just not meant to be. But that may have been because I was still a kid at the time and couldn't appreciate it. I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it won an award and they even made a sequel.

Does anyone else remember this? Was it as offputting as I remember, or am I just remembering it with the terror-glasses of childhood?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

What are you going to do? Balance Jane's checkbook or something? Paint the bathroom?

Non Sequitur

Yes, terrifying.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

Interesting concept, I guess.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/15/2003

Whatever, Brooke.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Hey, the kid's got a bigger brain than both of you combined, what do you expect?

:v:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

kith_groupie posted:

The mention of the MAD tv special made me remember that in the early 90s they made a Far Side TV special. I remember it as really disconcerting and weird, and not in a good way, like something that was just not meant to be. But that may have been because I was still a kid at the time and couldn't appreciate it. I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it won an award and they even made a sequel.

Does anyone else remember this? Was it as offputting as I remember, or am I just remembering it with the terror-glasses of childhood?

I was well into my twenties when it came on, and, yeah, “something that was just not meant to be” is about right. Which is not to say I didn’t enjoy it. What’s very funny in Larsen’s single panel comic becomes disturbing when stretched out over several minutes, given odd music and no dialog or narration.

It’s up on Dailymotion if you want another look.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
CFL bulbs don't piss me off because THE GOVERNMENT. What pisses me off is that I've never had a CFL bulb that gave me the full advertised lifespan. Like incandescent bulbs, a lot of environmental variables go into shortening the lifespan, but the pro-CFL people said that the extra cost would be mitigated by extra life, and THAT'S NOT HOW IT HAPPENED FOR ME. :argh:

Skippy never had to worry about this crap. Broken limbs? Those are another matter. (May 27, 1927)

Peanuts (August 18, 1967)

If the Van Pelts had bought their ice cream sandwiches at Walmart, this would never have happened.

Funky Winkerbean, in which it looks like Les is about to get his rear end kicked in his own fantasy.

Popeye's about to get throttled, too.

Rip Haywire is too busy being a granite-jawed stud to get flattened (again).

Out Our Way (June 24-25, 1925)

And that's how the kids invented Popeye. Unfortunately, King Features had better lawyers when they filed the infringement suit.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

I'm not normally a big fan of this comic, but I have to give it kudos for a joke that works on an obvious level and on a subtle level without making a huge deal of the subtle level.

Who painted The Scream?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's funnier if you imagine that the sound the diners make really is Munch, not "munch".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Spy vs. Spy

I don't think I remember them doing "one Spy gets killed without the other knowing" gags, like the first one.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sometimes Nemi makes me embarassed for my younger self, times like this it just makes me feel nostalgic. Appreciate What You Have Comix.

Pooch Café

Hey, you're just lucky the dating site even had a fish category. PoF doesn't even have one, and they did not respond to my emails despite the obvious irony.

Ballard Street

I want to know where Andrew got all those darts. Most toy guns come with three, tops.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears points out plot holes.

The Dinette Set knows what makes "fine dining" fine.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
September, 1987.

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hello! I hope your day is going well, I took today off!!
Cul-de-sac This is a metaphor, I'm not sure of what, but it's totally a metaphor.

The Creeps Gramma no!

Poptropica

Heathcliff

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

The Creeps is a national treasure. And I've always pictured Skinny Creep as having Lemongrab's voice.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

TheWyrmDude posted:

The Creeps is a national treasure.

It really is. My favorite currently-running strip ITT by some margin.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the last few C&H posts I've noticed some plot strips mixed in there. Two Yukon ones in this latest batch, and there was one in the last post as well.

Also yes, The Creeps is great.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

TheWyrmDude posted:

The Creeps is a national treasure. And I've always pictured Skinny Creep as having Lemongrab's voice.

I could see that. Fat Creep always sounds like Chris Griffin in my head.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

[Koivisto's car]
[Koivisto's boat]

Smaller bus companies seem to have this habit of naming their business (presumably) after the owner, often in the form of "Surname's auto" (auto being the common word in Finnish for cars of any kind). Koivisto is a common surname.

- Young people's public drinking of alcohol has become more and more common
- My long drink!

Because of how chaining words in genitive (possessive) form works in Finnish, "young people's drinking of alcohol" and "drinking young people's alcohol" are pronounced the same.

Breaking it down: nuorten "young people (gen.)" alkoholin "alcohol (gen.)" juominen "drinking". The possession always refers to the next word or phrase (like in the English "'s" construct whereas "of" is reversed), so the whole thing could be seen as either "young people's alcohol + drinking of" or "young people's + alcohol drinking".

The same thing applies to several previous Fingerpori puns.

Fok_It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Roland Jones posted:

Also yes, The Creeps is great.

I didn't like it that much at first and now it's one of my favorites.

• Locked thread