Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Sure. [email]
got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

If I wanted to rent a motorcycle in Dublin what exactly would I need other than passport and American drivers license?

I.e. From http://www.motorental.ie/

Forearm
Nov 14, 2005
Anyone have any suggestions for Portugal, specifically the Lisbon area for the next couple weeks? Looking for Museums, restaurants, cultural spots, street food, anything interesting you want to share or love about the city or country really that can't be missed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I came up with a second plan for this fall... also if you have any B&B recommendations within walking distance of Edinburgh rail station let me know.

I was going to take East Coast from London to Edinburgh on Sunday

I found this place highly recommended on trip advisor - one mile away from train station. I only have one small piece of luggage on wheels.

http://www.fraochhouse.com/index.php

Rates are pretty good since it's November (52 GBP/night with breakfast)

I would take the Loch Lomond Rabbies tour on Monday or Tuesday. The other day I would take another tour, or perhaps take the train to Aberdeen and do... well I haven't figured that out yet.

On Wednesday I would take the train to Newcastle, stay there one night, then take the earliest train (6 AM) to London on Thursday. It's about 3 hours on train, 1 hour on Metro to Heathrow, flight leaves at 12:30 PM.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 13, 2014

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Forearm posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for Portugal, specifically the Lisbon area for the next couple weeks? Looking for Museums, restaurants, cultural spots, street food, anything interesting you want to share or love about the city or country really that can't be missed.

I always suggest Bica Estrella, the best restaurant ever, but I don't think any of the people who've asked so far have actually gone. You should be the first.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Hi guys. I was thinking of doing a walking/hiking trip in Central Europe. The grand idea is to stroll leisurely along riverbanks and gentle slopes while admiring the views, having a few beers and preferably not dying of exhaustion. I'm not exactly in great shape, but I do love walking. Having never been on a trip like this before, I'm interested in the practicalities:

Is it viable to sleep in a tent along the routes?

Assume I go walking in the Mosel Valley in Germany, for example. How much should I be prepared to spend per day, including accommodation (I'm not picky, but I realize there won't be that much choice in little hamlets), 2-3 meals and a couple of beers/glasses of wine?

Should I rather be biking or something?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
You can mix biking with walking if you want, but then you need another 25 euros a day for bike rent. Is camping an option? Otherwise expect to spend atleast ~40 euros for accomodation and that again for three meals and a couple of drinks. This can be cheaper if you use hostels. I'm not sure, but I think you can find some excellent routes including all kinds of accomodation options in the Mosel area for multi day hikes, rides etc. There are loads of people who do stuff like that, but there are probably better resources than this forum. Also, consider hopping over to Elzas/Vosges, it has beautiful hikes/ bike rides and wines.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Paper Clip Death posted:

Hi guys. I was thinking of doing a walking/hiking trip in Central Europe. The grand idea is to stroll leisurely along riverbanks and gentle slopes while admiring the views, having a few beers and preferably not dying of exhaustion. I'm not exactly in great shape, but I do love walking. Having never been on a trip like this before, I'm interested in the practicalities:

Assume I go walking in the Mosel Valley in Germany, for example. How much should I be prepared to spend per day, including accommodation (I'm not picky, but I realize there won't be that much choice in little hamlets), 2-3 meals and a couple of beers/glasses of wine?

Maybe it is worth ordering a walking-trip package deal? An organization basically arranges b&b's for you along the route and pick up and drop of your luggage for you while you walk from small town to small town. It may be a bit more expensive but is also much less of a hassle. They must also have similar deals for campings I assume.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Paper Clip Death posted:

Germany is so loving populated that finding an obtrusive place (aka where the police/ordungsamt won't bother you) to tent/sleep could be tricky.

I'd recommend going on a cycling trip. Seriously. There's a lot of infrastructure along larger rivers like the rhein, mosel and donau (and even the Inn if you're willing to get fit), in addition to areas like the north German coast. You can cruise around on your bicycle (which also holds your gear), stopping every 30min-hour at each little town, and generally taking in the scenery and enjoying what's about. This also makes it easier to get from A-B, and as these sort of holidays are quite popular you'll see many people doing the same things and there are plenty of shops to help out if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it.

Probably the premier destinations for these trips are the bodensee (on the border of Germany, Austria and Switzerland), where there are plenty of tourist towns surrounding the lake, lots of nice scenery and a lot of history in the area, or the Donau, where you can start in southeast Germany and go all the way down to Budapest, seeing many major, important cities (you could theoretically continue even further).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have a general question about airbnb.
I've been contacting hosts in Spain, to find a place to stay in January. The 2 hosts I've heard back from so far have both said something along the lines of "oh, sorry, the price on airbnb is wrong; the real price is actually 3 times as much."
Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this maybe a problem with the system at the moment, or are these people trying to fleece me ?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Istari posted:

I have a general question about airbnb.
I've been contacting hosts in Spain, to find a place to stay in January. The 2 hosts I've heard back from so far have both said something along the lines of "oh, sorry, the price on airbnb is wrong; the real price is actually 3 times as much."
Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this maybe a problem with the system at the moment, or are these people trying to fleece me ?

You should contact Airbnb, they are probably trying to fleece you. The whole point of Airbnb is you never hand the hosts the money.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

chaosbreather posted:

You should contact Airbnb, they are probably trying to fleece you. The whole point of Airbnb is you never hand the hosts the money.

None of them have asked me to give them money directly. What happens is their listing is priced at, say €30/night. I contact them, they say "sorry, the price is wrong", and I receive a 'this host has offered you a special price of €90/night' message from airbnb.
It seems pretty straight forward. So I'm just wondering if it is just something going on with listing prices on airbnb (or hosts being too lazy to update prices), or if it's somehow a scam that I can't quite wrap my head around.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Istari posted:

None of them have asked me to give them money directly. What happens is their listing is priced at, say €30/night. I contact them, they say "sorry, the price is wrong", and I receive a 'this host has offered you a special price of €90/night' message from airbnb.
It seems pretty straight forward. So I'm just wondering if it is just something going on with listing prices on airbnb (or hosts being too lazy to update prices), or if it's somehow a scam that I can't quite wrap my head around.

It could be a scam to lure you in, but it's more likely because AirBNB lets you set different prices for different dates, HOWEVER, it will ALWAYS display the cheapest in the top right of the page. If you scroll way down, you'll see the prices split up by date, and you'll probably see €90 for [your days].

This is so people in Spain can put their summer home up for €120 night between June and Aug, but then list it for €40 in Nov-March when basically no one will come. AirBNB will always display €40, even for searching with dates in summer, either because they are retarded or they are fucks. This isn't up to the renter though unless they only set one price the whole year, or continually change their lowest prices to reflect "today's price". It's dumb as hell.

Edit: I can't find any examples of this right now, but I booked a place on AirBNB in southern France just two days ago and was irritated to find out it was €125/night instead of €80, but then found out that it was totally legit. The apartment was crosslisted on VRBO which -did- have the prices clearly delineated.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Saladman posted:

It could be a scam to lure you in, but it's more likely because AirBNB lets you set different prices for different dates, HOWEVER, it will ALWAYS display the cheapest in the top right of the page. If you scroll way down, you'll see the prices split up by date, and you'll probably see €90 for [your days].

This is so people in Spain can put their summer home up for €120 night between June and Aug, but then list it for €40 in Nov-March when basically no one will come. AirBNB will always display €40, even for searching with dates in summer, either because they are retarded or they are fucks. This isn't up to the renter though unless they only set one price the whole year, or continually change their lowest prices to reflect "today's price". It's dumb as hell.

Edit: I can't find any examples of this right now, but I booked a place on AirBNB in southern France just two days ago and was irritated to find out it was €125/night instead of €80, but then found out that it was totally legit. The apartment was crosslisted on VRBO which -did- have the prices clearly delineated.

Both the hosts in question have the same price listed for every day in their calendar, so I assume they've just not bothered to set different prices.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I'm in Barcelona for the week, and apparently that coincides with Festa Major de la Gracia. Is this worthwhile to check out in the evenings? What should we expect and/or keep in mind?

e: Ended up going last night, basically a huge block party across the whole neighborhood. Definitely worth a visit.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 17, 2014

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

I've just booked flights for late May early June to London and exiting Paris. At this stage the plan is two weeks London and a week in Paris. Is this going to be enough time? There are other parts of Europe I would love to see, but I would prefer to have as immersive experience in a few major places and not attempt to do everything in one go.

Would it be worthwhile going for a day or two to the south of France instead of spending the time elsewhere? Also is there anything in particular I must see while in Paris other than the Louvre and the eiffel tower?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I would definitely take a few days off London and take them to visit southern France, it's a pretty place! IMO spending 10 or 14 days in London is not so big a difference as you will have a good feel of the city by then and there will probably still be stuff left that you did not get to see after 14 days anyway. Cote d'azure, Provence etc feels so different that it is well worth going.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Millennial posted:

I've just booked flights for late May early June to London and exiting Paris. At this stage the plan is two weeks London and a week in Paris. Is this going to be enough time? There are other parts of Europe I would love to see, but I would prefer to have as immersive experience in a few major places and not attempt to do everything in one go.

Would it be worthwhile going for a day or two to the south of France instead of spending the time elsewhere? Also is there anything in particular I must see while in Paris other than the Louvre and the eiffel tower?

I think a week in London is enough time to get a good feel of the city.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I just got back from Chateau Menthon-Saint-Bernard, which was awesome, so thanks whoever recommended that here several months ago. I didn't realize it was -the- Saint Bernard's castle. Or at least, it would have been his castle if he hadn't gotten all freaked out religious-y. I bet it pissed off his parents.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Millennial posted:

Even if you've never been to either city before, that's plenty of time. It's more time in London than you'll probably even want so check into day trips around like to Windsor or Oxford or Cambridge or Bath or Stonehenge (attn: Stonehenge is boring as hell unless you love looking at big rocks from no closer than 30 feet away).

The south of France is 4 hours each way, so since you're stuck flying out of Paris, you'd need to take more than a couple days of extra time to make that worthwhile, which you could do by taking those days out of London -- I wouldn't take them out of Paris. Alternately instead of going all the way south you could do more day trips nearby the north like to Normandy (Etretat is awesome) or the Loire Valley, both of which are kind of hard to get around without your own car but I bet you could do it. Also a week in Paris is not going to seem too long, even just orbanized by area to give you some ideas there's:
• Montmartre/Sacre Coeur/Moulin Rouge
• the Pompidou museum and the area around it is pretty fun even if you don't like modern art (it's a huge museum and you'll almost certainly find something you like)
• there's Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle
• there's napoleon's burial site and the really well done, brand-new (ish) military museum at Les Invalides
• there's arc de triomph and champs elysee (which really only takes about 2 hours to walk up and down the entire thing, since there's nothing to do there in particular, it's not like you've never seen a Louis Vuitton or Banana Republic before). Grand and Petit Palais are also more or less here and have rotating exhibits that may or may not interest you after you've been to the Louvre and see more or less the same type of art. L'eglese de la Madeleine is also nearby and is a pretty weird/unique cathedral that will take 30 minutes to look at but is totally worth it.
• quite a bit outside: Versailles is awesome and a full day's trip
• you could go to Saint-Denis and set a car on fire and riot with a bunch of angry Africans

and that's probably a full week that hits a variety of quite different parts of Paris. There are still a ton of other things in the area (e.g. Fontainebleau) besides this, YMMV I have no idea what you actually like doing.

Unless you really like cities, 3 weeks in 2 big cities might make you loving hate metros and people after not very long, so definitely get into the countryside for at least a few days. May and June are not high tourist season -- fortunately -- so it will be pretty easy to find reasonable rates on hotels or B&Bs or whatever.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 17, 2014

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

Thanks guys for your responses, and I appreciate your detailed response Saladman! It sounds like a week in London is going to be plenty which makes sense. There were some great suggestions about things to do in Paris. I really do want to see the south of France, so maybe the third week could be spent best there.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Millennial posted:

Thanks guys for your responses, and I appreciate your detailed response Saladman! It sounds like a week in London is going to be plenty which makes sense. There were some great suggestions about things to do in Paris. I really do want to see the south of France, so maybe the third week could be spent best there.

It might be easier to spend week 1: London and environs, Week 2: South of France, Week 3: Paris. This will save you a ton of money and traveling time since you can just fly down to Nice/Marseilles from London and only take the train back once (planes are way cheaper than trains in Europe). You can fly to Nice one-way for about £40 with EasyJet which is a 2 hour flight that takes you basically into the center of town. This will save you about 10 hours of traveling over all and about €300. I see right now that EasyJet at Gatwick flies to Nice 4 to 5 times a day every day during that time of year.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Visiting friends in England and I'm thinking of ending my week in Berlin. Friday night to Sunday morning. Any tips or recommendations? I had been thinking pf going to Amsterdam for the first time, but I keep on being told that Berlin is the tops.

As far as the things I like to do: history, beer halls, music, "smoking" clubs or coffeehouses, and bad for you food. Thanks!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

As far as the things I like to do: history, beer halls, music, "smoking" clubs or coffeehouses, and bad for you food. Thanks!

What is your idea of a beer hall? If you think of something like the Hofbräuhaus in Munich, that is a bavarian and not a german thing. You won't find something like that in Berlin.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

elwood posted:

What is your idea of a beer hall? If you think of something like the Hofbräuhaus in Munich, that is a bavarian and not a german thing. You won't find something like that in Berlin.

Honestly, I know nothing about beer halls. I just would like to visit any. I'm easy.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Stupid question, I know, but...
In Paris, I'm planning to stay in Aubervilliers (~700m from the Aubervilliers-Pantin-Quatre Chemins metro station). Am I going to be murdered/killed during a riot ?
(I'm female if that makes a difference.)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shageletic posted:

Visiting friends in England and I'm thinking of ending my week in Berlin. Friday night to Sunday morning. Any tips or recommendations? I had been thinking pf going to Amsterdam for the first time, but I keep on being told that Berlin is the tops.

Music, Kreuzberg can't be beat. Lido, Wild at Heart, Madame Claude, and some other place with a bigass orange sign where the bands play on the floor in front of you whose name I can't remember, and at a bit of a distance, Cassiopeia. Tons of little Turkish joints for take-away kebabs, pizza (lackmajoun or whatever) and all manner of other stuff. It's all got vegetables on it though, so it can't be THAT unhealthy. Go to the little Burgermeister shack if you want to get a hot beef injection.

Goerlitzer Park also has kind of a nonstop jam session going on over the weekends down by where the skaters hang out. Follow the drums. Also, head across the river to Yaam / Jaam, the river beach hangout spot. Bar, beach, usually some DJ spinning, and they have cheap bike rentals, and being a traveler on a rented bike in Berlin is fun as hell.

e: and last time I was there, it was legal to drink everywhere. Streets, subways, wherever. Also, don't go into Goerlitzer Park at night.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 19, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Istari posted:

In Paris, I'm planning to stay in Aubervilliers (~700m from the Aubervilliers-Pantin-Quatre Chemins metro station). Am I going to be murdered/killed during a riot ?

No.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Istari posted:

No.

But you might also want to take a taxi if it's late at night, like after 10 or 11 pm.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Ive just got to Berlin on my solo travel trip, and Im looking to pick up some clothes and interesting trinkets while Im here. Im staying in the PLUS Hostel on the border of Friedrichshain and Kreuzburg so I think Im in a good area for the sort of artsy alternative stuff Im after. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of particular areas/streets/markets to check out during my stay.

Im only staying until Saturday morning though so I think Im going to miss most of the city's interesting markets on the weekend sadly.

Other recommendations on what to see in the city would be great too. Ive been here once before on a partying and memorials/museum sort of trip before already, but it was over pretty quickly.

(Im a guy too by the way, if that helps with the clothing part!)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Tuesday and Friday mornings, you can find a Turkish Market near U Kottbusser Tor, if I recall correctly.

What station is your hostel near?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 20, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Saladman posted:

No.

But you might also want to take a taxi if it's late at night, like after 10 or 11 pm.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Istari posted:

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

If you don't take a taxi after 10 or 11pm I think the worst you're risking, on average, is cat-calls or getting your butt pinched by a guy driving past on a scooter.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, basically whenever you see people telling you about how dangerous anything around St Denis is they basically just think black people are the boogeyman.

This works out well if you want to see the graves of basically the entire French royalty, you will be pretty much by yourself in the church at St Denis, it's totally worth going to the crypt there if you like history. Basically the only big tourist attraction in Paris that no one sees because guide books all mention how dangerous that neighborhood is. The "93 sucks" stuff is totally overblown.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HookShot posted:

Yeah, basically whenever you see people telling you about how dangerous anything around St Denis is they basically just think black people are the boogeyman.

This works out well if you want to see the graves of basically the entire French royalty, you will be pretty much by yourself in the church at St Denis, it's totally worth going to the crypt there if you like history. Basically the only big tourist attraction in Paris that no one sees because guide books all mention how dangerous that neighborhood is. The "93 sucks" stuff is totally overblown.

Okay, thanks. I assumed it would be okay during the day. But in google street view, a lot of the not-main-street streets look like the kinds of places in my hometown where I wouldn't venture at night, so I thought it best to ask.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Thanks for the answers.

Landsknecht posted:

Germany is so loving populated that finding an obtrusive place (aka where the police/ordungsamt won't bother you) to tent/sleep could be tricky.
Thought so. Apparently there are numerous campsites along the Moselsteig, but I assume these too cost money.

Landsknecht posted:

I'd recommend going on a cycling trip. Seriously. There's a lot of infrastructure along larger rivers like the rhein, mosel and donau (and even the Inn if you're willing to get fit), in addition to areas like the north German coast. You can cruise around on your bicycle (which also holds your gear), stopping every 30min-hour at each little town, and generally taking in the scenery and enjoying what's about. This also makes it easier to get from A-B, and as these sort of holidays are quite popular you'll see many people doing the same things and there are plenty of shops to help out if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it.
I'm leaning towards the cycling trip now, although I'm not an avid cycler. I'll have to do some research.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
I have just under 2 weeks in Puglia, southern Italy, booked for October.
I don't know a whole lot about the area other than I should see:
Lecce
Ortanto
Gallipoli
and some villages around Orsuni.

We are renting a car and in theory I'd like the holiday to be a little bit romantic if possible.
Does anyone have any tips for things to do? Markets, food festivals, pretty landscapes, general Italian stuff etc. are all good things.

Also I have heard that a cave town called Matera is a good place to stay. I've been looking at the cost of hotels there and it is a bit steep. Any recommendations?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Paper Clip Death posted:

Thanks for the answers.

Thought so. Apparently there are numerous campsites along the Moselsteig, but I assume these too cost money.

I'm leaning towards the cycling trip now, although I'm not an avid cycler. I'll have to do some research.

Campsites cost money, but remember they also tend to have useful utilities, like running water. Being able to shower rocks! They can be an option worth looking into, if you're not ideologically opposed to sleeping in tents.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Istari posted:

We weren't in that exact area but late at night having a cigarette break outside our hotel in the 6th a few weeks ago we witnessed a bunch of drunken youths going one way by the Seine and a young lady going the other way. This was during the World cup and possibly just after France had won a game as they were all loud & jovial. From seemingly nowhere the boys produced huge fronds, or branches or something and formed a guard of honour, bowing and waving their branches as the girl passed. Meanwhile one of the guys was pissing against the wall. That lessened the charm a little but it was entirely non threatening and very funny from our side of the street.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Dumb question, I'm staying at an Airbnb room in Freiburg for 2 more days and I'm looking for basic stuff: some powdered laundry soap for handwashing stuff when I'll be in our Ferienhaus in the Black Forest (with no laundry room), and some basic breakfast supplies like peanut butter. I'm used to getting all that stuff from big surface grocery stores back home but I haven't found anything like it wandering Aldstadt and central Freiburg. Does anyone know of such a place around there? Should I be looking farther out?