Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

fruition posted:

I mean, the dude brought his bulldozer to your house
His in-laws are renovating the property across the street & he was bulldozing over there for them. It was a less than 30 second drive. (And he lives right down the road, so it was under five minutes total from "I think I'll go do that bulldozing for oldskool" to "I am bulldozing at oldskool's".)

quote:

I'm not sure how much it would have cost you to hire that work out to some general contractor you found on craigslist but I'm going to go on a limb and guess way more than $100...
Part of this "way more" would've been transporting the dozer, but I readily concede I got a deal on the work itself.

quote:

You went over his house, sat in some air conditioning and ran an anti-virus on his wife's computer, deleted her temporary internet files, and maybe ran msconfig to clean up her startup.
I'm a dickhead myself, but even I wouldn't charge a computer illiterate friend money to get rid of their popups.

I repaired a corrupted Windows 8 install into rising from the grave just long enough to salvage several gigs of photos/videos of her two kids, and then re-imaged a fully functional Windows 8 & re-installed the various programs they use while removing the pre-installed junk that came with the laptop, all while supervising her aforementioned children who were screaming bloody murder that they weren't able to play Advanced Dog making GBS threads Simulator because I hadn't managed to fully reinstall every program previously on the machine since last they checked in on me at 38% Windows installation five minutes ago.

We've been doing this sort of talent exchange for the past two years, with the understanding that we'd each name our own prices at a reasonable level before doing any work, and that sometimes the exact dollar amounts or time/effort investments on each side wouldn't perfectly balance out as a result. It's also important to note that these were two separate negotiations. We didn't negotiate "discount for bulldozing in exchange for tech support": I asked about the bulldozer, he named his price at $100 for the work and I agreed & paid; two days later they asked about tech support, I named my price at $40, they agreed, and my wife refused that payment and insinuated that I am an rear end in a top hat for having ever charged her in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Man I love Second Guessing Story Time.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
You transferred pics somewhere else and then installed Windows and some programs. Cmon man, that's not something you charge friends for.

It's not like you were trouble shooting their network or servicing the actual computer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sounds like your wife owes you forty bucks.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Inudeku posted:

You transferred pics somewhere else and then installed Windows and some programs. Cmon man, that's not something you charge friends for.

It's not like you were trouble shooting their network or servicing the actual computer.

Seriously. People should never make different kinds of arrangements just because they work for them.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
It's one thing if it's 8pm on a Thursday night, you have to be up at 6am Friday morning, and your friend has a bad pop-up problem on their laptop and has to DJ a wedding Friday night. I asked for a kind donation for this exact scenario and received $40 for about 4-5 hours of service, for a good friend of mine. I told him no more than $50.

If he had asked me on a weekend day, or basically any other day than that one I would have done it for a couple of beers and some conversation.

I think your wife did you a favor here, perhaps you should evaluate your friendships with a less financially-centered perspective. Who knows, maybe you'll make even more friends. :)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Friends charging friends for things is super weird. I agree with the highly specialized attorney or notarizing or whatever, but charging for computer help? My friend's have worked on my car for me and they don't charge me. I'll probably buy them dinner as a thank you maybe, but taking cash? That's strange. I guess it's largely dependent on your group of friends... I've done budgeting work for a small business and personal for a few friends and never taken cash.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LloydDobler posted:

Sounds like your wife owes you forty bucks.

This. If she wants to give away your labor, it should come out of her pocket.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Wickerman posted:

It's one thing if it's 8pm on a Thursday night, you have to be up at 6am Friday morning, and your friend has a bad pop-up problem on their laptop and has to DJ a wedding Friday night. I asked for a kind donation for this exact scenario and received $40 for about 4-5 hours of service, for a good friend of mine. I told him no more than $50.

If he had asked me on a weekend day, or basically any other day than that one I would have done it for a couple of beers and some conversation.

It was 7pm Tuesday night, I got up at 6:30am Wednesday morning & spent 4 hours on it. I don't drink and it's hard to converse with a 6yo and 3yo wailing their lungs out within the same room.

Everybody has their own standards for how much work you'll do for free & at what point you expect some sort of compensation (food, beer, money, whatever).

Flip the roles around, should that guy be mad at his wife if she turned down an agreed-upon $100 for bulldozer work because I fixed her laptop for $40 & that was a deal compared to whatever Geek Squad would've charged?

e: looked up Geek Squad prices on a lark, holy poo poo :stonk:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'd recover photos free for a friend, no question. But an OS install? gently caress that. Set it up for free and they're liable to think you're their free tech support line for every problem they come across there on out.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
So don't do tech support next time if it's this big a deal to you.

Folly
May 26, 2010

reflex posted:

So don't do tech support next time if it's this big a deal to you.

Or, you know, charge him for it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

oldskool posted:

It was 7pm Tuesday night, I got up at 6:30am Wednesday morning & spent 4 hours on it. I don't drink and it's hard to converse with a 6yo and 3yo wailing their lungs out within the same room.

Everybody has their own standards for how much work you'll do for free & at what point you expect some sort of compensation (food, beer, money, whatever).

Flip the roles around, should that guy be mad at his wife if she turned down an agreed-upon $100 for bulldozer work because I fixed her laptop for $40 & that was a deal compared to whatever Geek Squad would've charged?

e: looked up Geek Squad prices on a lark, holy poo poo :stonk:

It's hard to communicate what our friendship is like through the internet, but when we go out together I'll always drive us both and we will buy each other drinks/tickets/whatever every time. Money flows between us pretty loosely.

Despite the similarities/differences between our situation, I still don't see how I'd call your situation "bad with money." I'm sure you and your wife could just have a short conversation about this so you can communicate your thoughts and feelings about that so it won't happen again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is this turning into the "grouchy about money" thread?
Here's one:

Friend of a friend is sort of inconsiderate. When these two go out, the spendthrift orders an appetizer, one of the more expensive items on the menu, a drink or two, and dessert. The frugal friend gets a $8 hamburger and ice water.

Then the spendthrift proposes that instead of getting their server to do split checks, let's just pay cash and split the total bill 50/50. Spendthrift friend is shocked and bothered that the frugal friend is not behind the idea of putting $24 each towards a $48 bill when the frugal one got an $8 hamburger and nothing else.

edit:
V please edit out your post to not say the t word :can:

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 14, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Is this turning into the "grouchy about money" thread?
Here's one:

Friend of a friend is sort of inconsiderate. When these two go out, the spendthrift orders an appetizer, one of the more expensive items on the menu, a drink or two, and dessert. The frugal friend gets a $8 hamburger and ice water.

Then the spendthrift proposes that instead of getting their server to do split checks, let's just pay cash and split the total bill 50/50. Spendthrift friend is shocked and bothered that the frugal friend is not behind the idea of putting $24 each towards a $48 bill when the frugal one got an $8 hamburger and nothing else.

We used to tag along with a couple who would eat out with us, but never tip. They would count out the exact amount of money their order came to, and leave just that. So the rest of us would be forced to tip more to make up for it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Folly posted:

Or, you know, charge him for it.

I just bartered the last time I had to install an OS for our building manager. He washes my car every time it gets dirty, I do tech support for him. He also gives us some extras in terms of repair turnarounds, etc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

We used to tag along with a couple who would eat out with us, but never tip. They would count out the exact amount of money their order came to, and leave just that. So the rest of us would be forced to tip more to make up for it.

Why didn't you call them out on it? Or stop going out with them?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good one. This has to be a goon right?

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2dka2u/fianc%C3%A9_wants_to_take_20k_out_of_401k_to_buy/

quote:

Last night my fiancé came to me with an idea about taking 20k out of his 401k to buy shares of Blizzard with the intent of selling in a few weeks or months. His rationale is that stock prices should go up after two highly-anticipated games are released, after which he could sell his shares.

He's never invested before (beyond what his 401k does as default) and his current rate of return averages 4% and he's looking for something more in the 10% range. I'm not sure if that information is relevant, but he prefaced his idea with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

man if only the rest of the market thought of that

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Don't tell anyone, but I think Apple might release a new iPhone this year. Should probably jump on that train at the same time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I once met a guy who's master plan was to buy shares of Wal*Mart in November and sell in January, after the holiday season.

Because they get a lot of sales around Christmas you know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I once met a guy who's master plan was to buy shares of Wal*Mart in November and sell in January, after the holiday season.

There are some dumb things like this that work, like buying home depot before hurricane sandy and then selling after, but its always a pretty small effect. Something seasonal like that is actively silly though since it's regular effect and not anomalous.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

FrozenVent posted:

I thought of that when I was 16, and by the time I was able to buy stocks, I figured that everyone else had already thought of that and it was a bad idea. Otherwise stock prices would fluctuate wildly based on what season it was

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I thought of that when I was 16, and by the time I was able to buy stocks, I figured that everyone else had already thought of that and it was a bad idea. Otherwise stock prices would fluctuate wildly based on what season it was

If the guy cared to, it'd be an easy enough effect to observe without doing any data analysis at all outside of actually looking. I'm not gonna fault the average person for not inferring how to price securities but there's no excuse not to go look.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 14, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_effect

Might have worked in the '80s

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Nocheez posted:

I put this in my Miata. It sounds great, has a USB port, Bluetooth (with a microphone for phone calls) and an headphone jack. There is no CD slot, but who uses actual CDs anymore?

http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroo...phone+holder+cd

This is the best cell phone mount I've seen yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

If the guy cared to, it'd be an easy enough effect to observe without doing any data analysis at all outside of actually looking. I'm not gonna fault the average person for not inferring how to price securities but there's no excuse not to go look.

The guy ended up making his own post. His best case scenario is making a whopping $2k

quote:

Currently I only have about ~20k in a Fidelity 401k. My RoR over the past 2 years has been a whopping 4.5 percent. My coworkers who invest with the same target dates are getting 10-12-15% consistently and we all have roughly at least half of our investments in high risk index funds
I realize that the current stock price already has the "hype" of the games reflected in it's value; however, I have read quite a few articles now that only expect ATVI to have their stock value increased over the next several months, with people expecting it to be anywhere near $26-30/sh by the end of the year.

Now let's say I buy blizzard stock at $23.50. This, using all of my money, will be 851 shares (20k/23.50). If I wait a few months and sell my 851 shares at, let's be generous and just say $26.50 assuming the butt end of the analysts' predictions, that's a $3 increase, resulting in a gain of $2553.

He's pretty much taking analyst predictions as fact.

The best reply is by someone who actually bothered to do 18 seconds of research into past Blizzard releases:

quote:

Let's take a look at historical impact of game releases on ATVI. I randomly chose buying the day before a release until 3 weeks later. Here are the results for all the games since 2010 in chronological order:
Starcraft 2: -7.33%
WoW Cataclysm: +1.14%
Diablo 3: -7.87%
WoW MoP: -6.46%
Starcraft 2 HotS: -1.82%
Hearthstone: +2.88%
Diablo 3 RoS: -6.74%
Are these the returns you're expecting?

His post: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2dknvc/im_the_fiance_that_wants_to_reinvest_his_401k/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

People are idiots though.
One of my finance professors had a high net worth client who only wanted to buy stock in companies with a lion in the logo.

This is the nerd equivalent of that.
Broker, place an order for all the Warcrafts that $20k can buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Did that guy even account for his transaction costs?

Also, what that data is saying is to short Blizzard, right? :chord:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
At least he seemed to have talked himself out of it, and is going with some better funds instead.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

TLG James posted:

At least he seemed to have talked himself out of it, and is going with some better funds instead.

But he's still taking a 401(k) loan...

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Door Frame posted:

Or, companies have quarterly revenue projections, which are public, and analyzed by market analysts who review said projections, and these earnings are discussed at the end of said quarters, and all of this is therefore priced into the current stock price at any given time in the year, and therefore it is not about actual earnings, but actual earnings vs. projected earnings, but you know, I guess Walmart might just be shooting from the hip and every year they're shocked like "holy poo poo guys, we sold a bunch during the holiday time devoted to spending!" :)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

If only there were an autistic child who sees patterns where most people don't... we could use him to make sense of it all.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

canyoneer posted:

One of my finance professors had a high net worth client who only wanted to buy stock in companies with a lion in the logo.

Boy have I got the company for him!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

quote:

Now let's say I buy blizzard stock at $23.50. This, using all of my money, will be 851 shares (20k/23.50).
brilliant

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I have a friend who threw like half of his money into Sirius when they signed Howard Stern back in 06. Why? Because people like Howard Stern, so that = $ I guess. This same person will research a desk chair for two weeks.

It's hilarious the level of research people will do with their life savings vs. something frivolous.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FCKGW posted:

The guy ended up making his own post. His best case scenario is making a whopping $2k

He's pretty much taking analyst predictions as fact.

The best reply is by someone who actually bothered to do 18 seconds of research into past Blizzard releases:

His post: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2dknvc/im_the_fiance_that_wants_to_reinvest_his_401k/

Look at all those actively managed index funds! :allears:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

This is the nerd equivalent of that.
Broker, place an order for all the Warcrafts that $20k can buy

A coworker makes all of her financial decisions based on Nascar sponsorship of a single driver.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

CitizenKain posted:

A coworker makes all of her financial decisions based on Nascar sponsorship of a single driver.

As a huge NASCAR fan and commentator that is loving hilarious! Which driver? If I had to guess I'm going to go with Jeff Gordon. DuPont didn't work out better dump it all in 3M!

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got the check from Fidelity today for my 401k rollover and my uncle told me I should use it to invest in gold :laffo:

• Locked thread