Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ilysespieces posted:

I use Snapseed, should I bother paying for this?

This is just my own opinion after fiddling for a few minutes, but no. The Afterlight filters are slightly less heavy-handed and more numerous than Snapseed, but VSCOCam has some for free as well and the filters are better IMO. Also the Afterlight filters are named dumb garbage like "mulberry" and "whimsy" and makes no goddamn sense.

The editing tools are pretty even, I don't think one has anything over the other.

For your average instagram shot I'd say there's not much difference. Just for the love of god tone down the snapseed filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks for the help!

After much fusing around, I got it upgraded with a firmware with daydream, but it seems that I can only select one full app to display during daydream which kind of puts me back to where I was in the beginning. Is there something I'm missing? If I could just add a bunch of widgets and display them in landscape mode without the screen timing out, I'll be happy.

Edit: Okay, it seems Dashclock is the thing to use if you want high customisability with a widget kind of thing. Great. I can get a clock and weather up, but for the loving life of me, I can't find a single goddamned plugin that will give me a feed of more than one RSS source. Either I'm missing something incredibly obvious, or all the people who want an idle app to display the weather and time aren't particularly phased by not having a powerful and customisable RSS feed app to go with it. I'm getting really frustrated that I can't find something that will just add a little RSS feed to the weather and time. I just want something that will flash up a headline and the first few lines of the story every five seconds and will update. I'm just surprised that apparently that doesn't exist.

I just ran across this and thought of you. I haven't tried it, but you might give it a go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.ultimateDayDream&hl=en

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Geektox posted:

This is just my own opinion after fiddling for a few minutes, but no. The Afterlight filters are slightly less heavy-handed and more numerous than Snapseed, but VSCOCam has some for free as well and the filters are better IMO. Also the Afterlight filters are named dumb garbage like "mulberry" and "whimsy" and makes no goddamn sense.

The editing tools are pretty even, I don't think one has anything over the other.

For your average instagram shot I'd say there's not much difference. Just for the love of god tone down the snapseed filters.

Thanks. Sounds like it would be a waste of time to get acclimated to a new photo editor, especially since I don't use filters, I only use it to color correct and for brightness. My Instagram is almost entirely nail art and cat pictures, filters for either don't make much sense.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

I just ran across this and thought of you. I haven't tried it, but you might give it a go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.ultimateDayDream&hl=en
Wow, this kind of owns.

e: Or it would if it would work for the second user on a tablet. It's impressive how broken multiuser is in just about every way.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 15, 2014

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

ilysespieces posted:

These few posts led me to Pixlr Express and it's pretty amazing. Snapseed seemed really convoluted.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

AnimalChin posted:

These few posts led me to Pixlr Express and it's pretty amazing. Snapseed seemed really convoluted.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I use a separate app entirely for collages, it might be nice to have an all-in-one editor/collage maker.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That and the bulk of Snapspeed's functionality was ported to Google's Photos app.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ilysespieces posted:

It's a buck, live a little. I like Snapseed, but I've yet to find a good Android replacement for Laminar Pro or Camera+, and Camera Awesome isn't compatible with my G3. I bouth teh Camera ZOOM FX Premium because it was an editors choice, instant uninstall.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

porktree posted:

It's a buck, live a little. I like Snapseed, but I've yet to find a good Android replacement for Laminar Pro or Camera+, and Camera Awesome isn't compatible with my G3. I bouth teh Camera ZOOM FX Premium because it was an editors choice, instant uninstall.

Camera apps can't do a whole lot on Android because of OS limitations. If what you didn't like about the ones you've tried is related to this, then you'll be happy to know that the upcoming version of Android gives apps access to a ton of cool camera stuff.

Of course you'll have to wait for apps to update and your device to have android L.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just bought signed up for new internet service and bought a new router. It seems that the internet goes down on my phone (Nexus 5) pretty frequently over Wi-Fi. However, on my laptop, I've never had an issue. Is there a good app where I can monitor the data/bandwidth that I'm getting form my router?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RVProfootballer posted:

Good point. I forgot those existed!

What's the app? I'm headed to Hokkaido over Christmas & would like to have some familiarity with the language. Since we've got my kids' old iPod touches laying around I want to check it out.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Busy Bee posted:

I just bought signed up for new internet service and bought a new router. It seems that the internet goes down on my phone (Nexus 5) pretty frequently over Wi-Fi. However, on my laptop, I've never had an issue. Is there a good app where I can monitor the data/bandwidth that I'm getting form my router?
I don't have an app suggestion buy I did have a similar problem when I got my n5 and a new router around the same time and was able to fix a lot of my drops by forcing the WiFi to only use 2.4 frequencies in the advanced settings. It still will drop occasionally and have some issues connecting when I get home (have to manually connect sometimes) but it helped a lot.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe someone knows why the poweramp grid view looks so fugly? Is it a known bug?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

midnightclimax posted:

Maybe someone knows why the poweramp grid view looks so fugly? Is it a known bug?

Looks like all those album covers are in low resolutions. Go to Settings > Album Art and make sure "Download Hi Res Album Art" is selected.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

effika posted:

Looks like all those album covers are in low resolutions. Go to Settings > Album Art and make sure "Download Hi Res Album Art" is selected.

Nope, when I play a track, the hi-res version is shown. I've enabled all the hi-res stuff in the preferences, but the album grid still looks like this.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My moto x just updated to 4.4.4, at&t still doesn't drop off the notification bar. gently caress at&t.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wadjamaloo posted:

My moto x just updated to 4.4.4, at&t still doesn't drop off the notification bar. gently caress at&t.

Yes it does. Settings > More > Mobile networks... > Show mobile network.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have two routers: one in the living room and one in my bedroom. Is there an app or some settings I can use so that my phone switches to whatever router has the best signal automatically?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Finally. Thanks.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
No, thank you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not really an Android thing but there isn't a better thread.

Does anyone know how I can report a broken album on Google Play All Access? I've found a couple of albums where different album versions have been merged into one and all the songs are doubled up but they have different edits/versions and it's all a bit of a mess. But I can't find a way to tell Google about it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

Not really an Android thing but there isn't a better thread.

Does anyone know how I can report a broken album on Google Play All Access? I've found a couple of albums where different album versions have been merged into one and all the songs are doubled up but they have different edits/versions and it's all a bit of a mess. But I can't find a way to tell Google about it.

Play Music has a send seed back option if you hit the menu on the main screen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

midnightclimax posted:

Nope, when I play a track, the hi-res version is shown. I've enabled all the hi-res stuff in the preferences, but the album grid still looks like this.

Clear cache in the Apps menu? Maybe it made some crappy versions earlier and kept them around

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Can anyone recommend a widget that will show me my schedule for the day without having to open the calendar each time? It's an exchange calendar, if that matters.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The normal Google Calendar app has an agenda widget

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I really like the Widget, and the app iself, for Today Calender.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Event Flow is pretty good, but you'll need to pay to unlock most of the nicer features.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

dissss posted:

The normal Google Calendar app has an agenda widget

You know, once you said this I looked, and my wifes S4 Mini has many more calendar widgets built-in than my S5. We picked them both up on Saturday - is it just a difference in the phones, or is there something missing on my S5 that would have installed some extra widgets?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

deathmerc posted:

I really like the Widget, and the app iself, for Today Calender.

This. The widget is fantastic. The default google calendar widget is similar but I like the look of Today. Also the today app view is super nice. It has a hybrid month/agenda view.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm still using Pure Grid Calendar. Its pretty ugly even though its skinable. But the one thing I really like that it does is adjust the size of the bars to match how long it'll last in the day.

For example, in the screen shot on the play store, the 6th has an all day event and then a short event (debriefing).

Does the Today Calendar (or others) have that as well? Pure Grid doesn't get updated much anymore and never really had good skins. They are all made for Ginger Bread basically.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Zhent posted:

Can anyone recommend a widget that will show me my schedule for the day without having to open the calendar each time? It's an exchange calendar, if that matters.

Upnext is a great alternative to Today Calendar- it has a nicer UI than Event Flow.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Is there an app that can wipe my phone's data after a certain amount of incorrect password entries?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pretty sure Cerberus will do that kind of malarkey

fyrelore
Jul 30, 2013
I use Cerberus right now! Love it so far, easy to set up, just remember/write down certain passwords like "text to erase phone data". They give you a preset text to send if you don't want to make up your own, and you can set up what phone number to accept the "erase phone data" texts.

Only downside is it's a 7 day free trial, but I find it worth the money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Didn't Cerebrus have some security breach or something awhile back? Did that ever get addressed?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Didn't Cerebrus have some security breach or something awhile back? Did that ever get addressed?

Security flaw, and it was fixed almost immediately.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

UncleGuito posted:

Upnext is a great alternative to Today Calendar- it has a nicer UI than Event Flow.

Thanks for this, it's a great looking widget

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What are y'all using for audiobooks? I've got a couple I am trying to listen to, but the music app keeps loosing my place, has no scrubbing and is generally annoying me. I also bought Dan Carlin's backlog of Hardcore History podcasts (loving phenomenal), and I want to listen to these without loosing my place every third time they fire up (the episodes are 1-3 hours long).

I'm using Doggcatcher for podcasts, I don't see a way to add 'files', but I'm less and less enthused about Doggcatcher and will probably switch to Podcaster in the near future, nearer if it easily handles audio books and the ilk.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm using Listen Audiobook player, works pretty good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I've been enjoying Smart Audiobook Player for a while now. It's free unless you want some of the more useful features (like volume boosting for quiet audio books), but it's only 2 bucks.

I might have to give Listen Audiobook a try, however... Looks like that one has an actual equalizer built in.

• Locked thread