Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny because I JUST started a rewatch of Babylon 5 this week.

What struck me is how pretty much every single episode has had a tidbit that comes into play later. Even the ones that are standalone, there's always something going on that hints at the greater picture.

I may skip TKO though. Because, really, gently caress TKO.

B5 really has aged worse than TNG which is funny since it came afterwards. The CGI just is, it's bad, but it's just something that becomes part of the show.

The set design and costuming though are 90s as all gently caress and plainly low budget. There's also nothing inspiring at all about the cinematography.

It's worth it though for the story and character arcs.

I keep hoping that the rumblings of a B5 movie in 2016 will push Warner to do an HD makeover in the vein of TNG. They would have to redo all the effects work from scratch since all the assets were lost, but that seriously wouldn't be too bad. I honestly wouldn't even care if they went for higher resolution textures, just give me something not cropped to gently caress and back and not suffering from horrible interlacing artifacts. The sets wouldn't hold up too well under HD, but they honestly don't look that great already on DVD so no major issue there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Enterprise was fun and you should watch it.

Just endure the opening theme song like you would a few pain sticks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crosscontaminant posted:

Do what I'm doing with a friend. Watch Voyager, laugh uproariously at the terrible early episodes, then enjoy the later ones where it gets okay. Never watch Enterprise.

If you never watch Enterprise, you never get to see Shran, or as I like to call him, "holy poo poo why wasn't the show about this guy."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I actually like the theme song to Enterprise.

I'm the worst.

I'm been watching Enterprise here and there and it's not so bad. I mean, it's not great, but it's okay. I got a kick out of the episode where Trip got space-pregnant and the one with Jeffery Combs as an Andorian was great.

I've also been watching through Voyager, but I'm not doing the entire show because I feel like I have better things to do with my life than watch 7 whole seasons of Voyager. I'm just picking out the best\worst\important continuity wise of the bunch. Here's my watch list:

quote:

Caretaker (Pilot)
Phage (Vidiians appear)
Faces
State of Flux (Seska turns traitor)
Prototype (robots!)
Alliances
Threshold (It's infamous, after all.)
Dreadnought
The Thaw
Tuvix
Basics (Seska dies)
Flashback (Sulu)
Future's End
Warlord (the Kes episode)
The Q and the Grey
Macrocosm
Distant Origin (Voth)
Scorpion (Seven of Nine first appears)
The Gift (Kes leaves)
The Raven (Seven of Nine character establishment)
Year of Hell
Message in a Bottle (U.S.S. Prometheus)
Hunters (the Hirogen episode)
The Killing Game
Living Witness
Timeless (the Harry Kim episode)
Nothing Human
Latent Image
Bride of Chaotica
Bliss
Relativity
Equinox
Barge of the Dead
Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
Pathfinder
Tsunkate (Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?)
Critical Care
The Void
Author, Author
Endgame

Anything I'm leaving out that needs to be on there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You don't have Blink of an Eye and that's one of Voyager's best.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I quite like Death Wish, and if you're going to watch Q and the Grey you might as well watch it too.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Gammatron 64 posted:

Anything I'm leaving out that needs to be on there?
You're missing the picture of voyager being smashed with a hammer that Aatrek got bent out of shape over.

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ :getin:

Fucked-Up Little Dog fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 15, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You don't have Blink of an Eye and that's one of Voyager's best.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I quite like Death Wish, and if you're going to watch Q and the Grey you might as well watch it too.

Thanks, I'll add those.

Wowbagger2004 posted:

You're missing the picture of voyager being smashed with a hammer that Aatrek got bent out of shape over.

No I'm not.

That baby raper can rot in hell.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ferengi and Klingons make the best episodes. Except that one. You know which one.

I'm going to guess the one with Quark in drag.

That episode was shameful. Like in a truly pan-cultural way so that any sentient species or imagined species (I mean we've basically just got the one, maybe dolphins as well, but you know what I mean) will feel shame watching it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

syscall girl posted:

I'm going to guess the one with Quark in drag.

That episode was shameful. Like in a truly pan-cultural way so that any sentient species or imagined species (I mean we've basically just got the one, maybe dolphins as well, but you know what I mean) will feel shame watching it.

Yes that one. Profit and Lace was horrible and not in the funny way that Threshold was.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I watched Profit and Lace while I was eating Velveeta mac and cheese for lunch one day. I don't know if it was the fact that Velveeta is kind of gross on its own, but I felt like barfing, promptly lost my appetite and gave 90% of my lunch to the dog.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Also be careful not to confuse Profit and Lace with Profit and Loss which is a Good Episode with lots of insight into Cardassian fashion.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm finally to the last nine episodes of Deep Space 9. I'm going to marathon them all tonight. Wish me well, Trekkers!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

apophenium posted:

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm finally to the last nine episodes of Deep Space 9. I'm going to marathon them all tonight. Wish me well, Trekkers!

Songs will be sung of this day.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

apophenium posted:

The gooniest of Friday nights.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

apophenium posted:

Qapla and savor it! (even though you'll smash the next episode button so hard you'll break the TV)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

apophenium posted:

It's been a long road, getting from there to here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline posted:

It's been a long road, getting from there to here

It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.

Oh man it was a Rod Stewart song too.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

c0ldfuse posted:

Am I allowed to skip season 1? I saw two episodes and wanted to put a bullet in my head instead of watching. Buddy said I should read Wikipedia and watch finale then move forward.

It doesn't get better .

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

The theme song is a perfect metaphor for the series - a final attempt at rekindling the optimistic spirit of tuning in every week to see how awesome (though imperfect) the future would be. It's one minute of pure, concentrated Gene Roddenberry's Vision, which is why it's both aspirational and cheesy as hell.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't have anything against Rod Stewart and while lyrically the song was appropriate, as presented it just had no energy and came off as a really lame, hamfisted "dad-like" attempt to be hip enough to grab someone's attention. As boring as the first two seasons were on their own, I'm certain that theme contributed to a lot of people tuning the gently caress out before they even got to the actual episodes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After finishing Voyager, I move on to Enterprise. Ya'll are 'tards if you don't like Enterprise.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm the worst.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Don't Stop Me Now is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Enterprise isn't great, but its entertaining enough.

I'm glad others got why I was referencing the Klingon Chef; that kind stuff you would never see on another Trek show. DS9's format got to explore more of the universe, because the Enterprise or Voyager tended to only meet the leaders and military of various races. DS9 being what amounts to a city in space drew all kinds of people.

I watched Inner Light the other night, and i'm not ashamed to admit that I got choked up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about Profit and Lace was the beetle snuff transition. I had to watch that several times to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Crosscontaminant posted:

Do what I'm doing with a friend. Watch Voyager, laugh uproariously at the terrible early episodes, then enjoy the later ones where it gets okay. Never watch Enterprise.

Enterprise Season 3 is a better Voyager than Voyager was.

Enterprise may have its flaws, but I'd re-watch it over Voyager any day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

I don't have anything against Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart didn't sing it for Enterprise. He wrote and recorded it for Patch Adams, but the Enterprise version was done by a guy named Russell Watson who basically did his best Stewart impression.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Sir! We have received an order for 300 loaves of bread to be delivered by midday!"

"A formidable battle. Come, we shall show them the meaning of courage! Today is a good day to dine!"

"QA'PLA!"

Alternately, I want "qa'pla" to be like their version of "goodbye", where everyone says it to everyone else all the time. "Thank you for calling House of Duras Confectionaries, qa'pla!"

I fixed your post sir.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

apophenium posted:

If you were really invested in the Dominion War stuff.. you will be very satisfied.

If you were really involved in the Prophet stuff.. your opinion my vary.

But let's not kid. Everyone reading this is probably category A.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked both. :frogbon: Sacrifice of Angels visionary and reckoning are great episodes in their own right and marry the dominion war and prophet arcs. The resolution to the prophet thing isn't bad it just suffers from pacing issues because of all the balls in the air. DS9 still has the best serialized ending of any Sci Fi show i know of even if it's not perfect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The bit character in Trek I wan't to learn about the most is from YUC. The Klingon who nearly pisses himself laughing at McCoy's little arthritis joke. He seems like a nice guy. I'd have a bloodwine with him :)

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Going right from "TNG episodes I must have seen once but I don't remember" to finally watching Enterprise, it's striking how boring ENT episodes are worse than boring TNG episodes, but not that much worse. Meanwhile, goofy, understated ENT kind of holds its own.

I just watched the one where space radiation gives the crew space Aspergers, and it was just good old fashioned fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
But Captain if I can just keep mind raping women, I can bring peace, can't you see that's worth Troi's life?

#24thcenturyReddit

I wonder how many people learned about the concept of the Dyson Sphere from Relics? I would assume 99.99999999% of people.

Haha, Scotty's :stare: at Worf

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 16, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Trickjaw posted:

The bit character in Trek I wan't to learn about the most is from YUC. The Klingon who nearly pisses himself laughing at McCoy's little arthritis joke. He seems like a nice guy. I'd have a bloodwine with him :)

I don't want to phrase this wrong, because the undiscovered country is an excellent movie, but that is the best drat part of the movie.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I was weak willed and didn't finish DS9 all last night, just wrapped it up now. How fitting that Quark would get the last line. :allears: That was a fantastic finale. The only weirdness was how fast the Pah wraith stuff played out and how forced it felt, though it was a good resolution. All the characters' endings were incredibly satisfying, certainly the most fleshed out arcs from the Treks I've seen. The scene in Vic's and all the flashbacks afterwards got me kinda emotional.

Now all I have left is the last 2 seasons of Voyager, Nemesis, and Enterprise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Computer, kill everyone on the bridge." - Data

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

apophenium posted:

I was weak willed and didn't finish DS9 all last night, just wrapped it up now. How fitting that Quark would get the last line. :allears: That was a fantastic finale. The only weirdness was how fast the Pah wraith stuff played out and how forced it felt, though it was a good resolution. All the characters' endings were incredibly satisfying, certainly the most fleshed out arcs from the Treks I've seen. The scene in Vic's and all the flashbacks afterwards got me kinda emotional.

Vics is where it ended ha ha ha nothing happened afer .. just weird dream thu balk guy had

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Growing up my only experience with Star Trek was whatever night it was on TV (Wednesdays?) my family would sit down at my dad's behest and watch Enterprise, which was when I was about 5 or 6. That theme song is ingrained in my memory but it's been at least 10 years since I've last heard it. I have no idea how it would hold up now, but 5 year old me liked it. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons I'm so into sci-fi now.

Anyways, just recently I started going through TNG on Netflix since I never really watched any of it and holy poo poo it's amazing. Over the last week I've watched the first 17 episodes of season one in four or five sittings and I'm constantly wanting more. I'm afraid this is going to lead to me watching and re-watching every Star Trek series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

apophenium posted:

Nemesis: just turn it off after the 'Picard drives space jeep' scene.

• Locked thread