Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the other person races regularly, all you have to do is look at their race history. If it drops off for a week or two, you know you did something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Usually if they do nothing you get an email like no action taken.
You got the we did something email just can't tell what they did.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Cage posted:

I just had my first jerk give me some road rage. After spending 75% of a street stock race at Charlotte behind this guy I finally managed to sneak by him on the left on a straightaway. He didnt like this and cut into me on the turn and we both spun out but recovered. I kept going, he stayed near the pits waiting for me to come around again and pulled out in front of me purposely. I get wheel damage so I have to loop again to get into the pits, as I enter the pits he rams me from behind, spinning me out. He then chases me down after the checkered flag just to get one more pointless contact penalty. Dick.
Did you pass him on the apron below the line?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ManicJason posted:

Did you pass him on the apron below the line?
No, he was just thoroughly mad because he was blocking me all race.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Just making sure. The rule on passing below the line is not obvious.

The only time I've reported someone was when he tried to complete a pass down there on Charlotte. I held the line into turn 3, causing him to die a quick death on the apron. He then tried to wreck me the next time around, missed, and took out two or three random people. Great job, guy!

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

Just making sure. The rule on passing below the line is not obvious.

The only time I've reported someone was when he tried to complete a pass down there on Charlotte. I held the line into turn 3, causing him to die a quick death on the apron. He then tried to wreck me the next time around, missed, and took out two or three random people. Great job, guy!

That's exactly what happened to me in the SM at Charlotte last season except the guy that went below the white line took me out and went on to win the race :smith:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

KingShibby posted:

That's exactly what happened to me in the SM at Charlotte last season except the guy that went below the white line took me out and went on to win the race :smith:

Apron passing into the turn seems to be some kind of three sided coin flip. Either you both wreck, or one or the other can maintain full control from netcode physics while the other wrecks. I've seen almost no consistency at all with it in the occasions it's happened.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Ran my first races last night upon receiving my g27, after practicing for probably 90 minutes on lime rock. Got 4th the first race after starting second on the grid somehow, and didn't do so well the second race. Went off the track quite a few times but no collisions.

I have to say, iracing with a nice wheel is an incredible experience when you first can lay down some laps.

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 13, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Slickdrac posted:

Apron passing into the turn seems to be some kind of three sided coin flip. Either you both wreck, or one or the other can maintain full control from netcode physics while the other wrecks. I've seen almost no consistency at all with it in the occasions it's happened.

Yeah stupid people happen here just like every other game out there. All I could do was protest then go on to win 2 races after that :dukedog:

thehacker0 posted:

Ran my first races last night, after practicing for probably 90 minutes on lime rock. Got 4th the first race after starting second on the grid somehow, and didn't do so well the second race. Went off the track quite a few times during the second race, probably cuz I had been racing for ~2.5 hours and I had just gotten my g27 an hour beforehand.

I have to say, iracing with a nice wheel is an incredible experience when you first can lay down some laps.

Nice job for your first race, yours was a lot better than mine!

The G27 is hands down the best price/quality bang for your buck. If my wife and I don't buy a new house this year and even if we do, this is what I'm getting for Xmas this year to mount my G27 :getin:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

Yeah stupid people happen here just like every other game out there. All I could do was protest then go on to win 2 races after that :dukedog:

Nice job for your first race, yours was a lot better than mine!

The G27 is hands down the best price/quality bang for your buck. If my wife and I don't buy a new house this year and even if we do, this is what I'm getting for Xmas this year to mount my G27 :getin:

Yea I did a fair amount of research on wheels and it seemed that for the price ($225 on amazon for me) nothing can come close. I just ordered this stand for the g27 http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-4/Steering-Wheel-Stands-for/Detail as it's currently mounted on my PC desk, in the way of my keyboard. A seat would be amazing, but sadly impossible for those of us in apartments.

Is the mazda roadster significantly faster around lime rock than the cup car? It's probably my cornering and generally being brand new to sim racing, but seems that the roadsters are quicker. Really hard to get used to the right hand drive but might have to bite the bullet

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

Yea I did a fair amount of research on wheels and it seemed that for the price ($225 on amazon for me) nothing can come close. I just ordered this stand for the g27 http://www.wheelstandpro.us/servlet/the-4/Steering-Wheel-Stands-for/Detail as it's currently mounted on my PC desk, in the way of my keyboard. A seat would be amazing, but sadly impossible for those of us in apartments.

Is the mazda roadster significantly faster around lime rock than the cup car? It's probably my cornering and generally being brand new to sim racing, but seems that the roadsters are quicker. Really hard to get used to the right hand drive but might have to bite the bullet

There's a good chance your apartment is bigger than my house, which is why I want a bigger one so I have room to put the seat.

And most people notice that the Roadster is actually a little slower than the Cup car, but I've never driven the Roadster before. However given that all but 1 corner at Lime Rock are right-handers could help the Roadster being a right-side drive :iiam:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think the gearing is different between the Cup and Roadster models, and Lime Rock favors the Roadster gearing.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The Cup model also has a much better competition suspension package while the Roadster has something much closer to street car suspension.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I think the gearing is different between the Cup and Roadster models, and Lime Rock favors the Roadster gearing.

This is what seemed to help me the most - you shift less and spend more time in the powerband. The five speed is geared perfectly to wind it out to redline on the front straight; the six speed is too short in fifth and too tall in sixth. I've found one of the best ways to cut your lap times there is to maximize your speed down the front straight because in that car, you spend a long time with the throttle pinned. A good/bad exit from the last turn can make a huge difference on the lap as a whole.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is what seemed to help me the most - you shift less and spend more time in the powerband. The five speed is geared perfectly to wind it out to redline on the front straight; the six speed is too short in fifth and too tall in sixth. I've found one of the best ways to cut your lap times there is to maximize your speed down the front straight because in that car, you spend a long time with the throttle pinned. A good/bad exit from the last turn can make a huge difference on the lap as a whole.

Yea this is what I felt when I tried the roadster after learning in the cup car. The gears felt less awkward than the cup, with more time spent at higher revs. With the cup, I often feel like I'm spending a lot of time awkwardly at the cusp between 3rd and 4th. Not sure about the differences in suspension that people have mentioned, but I think I'm gonna give the roadster some practice (get used to right hand drive) at least for lime rock.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just looked up my first ever race. It was MX-5 at Okayama Short. I started 8th, finished 5th, and only racked up 20 (!) incident points.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Whats going on with the gooncar races? Looks like season 2 ended back in June? Would love to race with some of you guys once I get a bit better handle on things

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ManicJason posted:

I just looked up my first ever race. It was MX-5 at Okayama Short. I started 8th, finished 5th, and only racked up 20 (!) incident points.
My first road race, MX5 at Laguna Seca. Started 10th, finished 10th, 3 incident points. My second? 26 incidents.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

Whats going on with the gooncar races? Looks like season 2 ended back in June? Would love to race with some of you guys once I get a bit better handle on things

Lack of participation and cost. It's hard to coordinate amongst goons across the globe.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

So the weekly races aren't happening anymore? thats a shame. If any of you guys race regularly and would be willing to throw a couple tips my way please throw me a PM. Hope that these get going again sometime soon, but if not I'd love to run a couple laps with one or two of you guys

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Join #racinggoons on irc.synirc.net, plenty of people hang out there that could help.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

thehacker0 posted:

Real life happened.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I'm trying to come up with a plan in terms of D class series to race. I'm a race or two away from hitting D class, and I'm going to continue to race mx-5 cup and production car challenge for a while afterwards.

It seems that skip barber is often suggested as the way to go, at least for those interested in open wheel racing (as I am). However, looking at the tracks it seems that the SRF series includes more of the circuits that one would expect to race in open wheel, at least grand prix/F1, compared to the skip barber tracks. Is the SRF series a viable learning path to take after rookie/advanced rookie in terms of learning open wheel-style racing? Or is the skip barber significantly better for learning indy/grand prix cars, tracks, handling, etc? The SRF series is also cheaper, but thats not as much of a concern for me.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

thehacker0 posted:

I'm trying to come up with a plan in terms of D class series to race. I'm a race or two away from hitting D class, and I'm going to continue to race mx-5 cup and production car challenge for a while afterwards.

It seems that skip barber is often suggested as the way to go, at least for those interested in open wheel racing (as I am). However, looking at the tracks it seems that the SRF series includes more of the circuits that one would expect to race in open wheel, at least grand prix/F1, compared to the skip barber tracks. Is the SRF series a viable learning path to take after rookie/advanced rookie in terms of learning open wheel-style racing? Or is the skip barber significantly better for learning indy/grand prix cars, tracks, handling, etc? The SRF series is also cheaper, but thats not as much of a concern for me.

Looking at the current seasons between both, I'm not sure why you feel that way. Skip Barber's current schedule has several current or former F1/Indy tracks. One thing you really need to think about is participation, though. The Skip Barber series has significantly more involvement from the community than SRF. Looking over the recent SRF results, I'm seeing a lot of races that aren't going official, while almost every Skip Barber race is official at any hour of the day, with multiple splits common.

I'd also note than SRF racing contains bump drafting, something open wheel racing most definitely does not, making it a fairly different experience.

FAILURE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, Skippy

All day Skippy

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

FAILURE posted:

Looking at the current seasons between both, I'm not sure why you feel that way. Skip Barber's current schedule has several current or former F1/Indy tracks. One thing you really need to think about is participation, though. The Skip Barber series has significantly more involvement from the community than SRF. Looking over the recent SRF results, I'm seeing a lot of races that aren't going official, while almost every Skip Barber race is official at any hour of the day, with multiple splits common.

I'd also note than SRF racing contains bump drafting, something open wheel racing most definitely does not, making it a fairly different experience.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will go with Skippy, I had just read some conflicting advice around the internet

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I love both cars, but I'd recommend the Skippy first for sure. The Skippy is miles more predictable to drive than the SRF and has a much more active community.

edit: The Skippy series also has a very predictable track rotation if it's important to get bang for buck and avoid buying a track that's about to disappear from the series for a year.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I'm starting to think the same way about Turn 1 at Lime Rock in Mazda Cup as you guys have talked about Turn 2 at Mosport in HPD.

Is this track always such a wreckfest?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Helicon One posted:

I'm starting to think the same way about Turn 1 at Lime Rock in Mazda Cup as you guys have talked about Turn 2 at Mosport in HPD.

Is this track always such a wreckfest?

It is with rookies! I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy Charlotte's roval in the MX-5/Solstice.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So against my own better judgement, again, I bought the DW12 as well. I don't own any additional tacks yet since there is no use to get them really. I love the Nascar truck, it is loving awesome and the DW12 is cool too. Was told it is supposedly easier to handle with a 360 controller. I'll post my results in a bit.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

The Class D oval series are just terrible. I really wish they'd add an Indy Lights series or something. I was participating in Nationwide last season on the grind to Class C so I can do the Indy Fixed oval series, but the car is complete garbage this season as they have not changed the fixed setups despite the new tire model. Late Model is an option, but less participation sucks.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Torabi posted:

So against my own better judgement, again, I bought the DW12 as well. I don't own any additional tacks yet since there is no use to get them really. I love the Nascar truck, it is loving awesome and the DW12 is cool too. Was told it is supposedly easier to handle with a 360 controller. I'll post my results in a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Play...riving+force+gt

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

FAILURE posted:

The Class D oval series are just terrible. I really wish they'd add an Indy Lights series or something. I was participating in Nationwide last season on the grind to Class C so I can do the Indy Fixed oval series, but the car is complete garbage this season as they have not changed the fixed setups despite the new tire model. Late Model is an option, but less participation sucks.

I'm trying to figure out my plan after rookie oval, and I have heard similar things about the D class oval options. Is it at all feasible to progress to D 4.0 without racing in either national or late model series? I'm more interested in longer, speedway-type tracks and it seems that most of the national/late model tracks won't be used in most of the higher license class series. Seems like a waste if it's avoidable

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I went straight from rookie Street Stock to fixed Indy, you just have to get above a D 4.0. Just do a bunch of Charlotte races and you'll get there.

So far the combination of CotA and the L79 has led to one spiked and broken headset. loving slow corners and pyramids.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Grind rookie oval to D 4.0 and then do C TT's to get into C. From there you should have better options for longer races.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

That seems like the best move. Thanks all.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I appreciate the advice as well guys. I was on the cusp of buying the car/tracks for the national series, but then I decided to do a bit more research and it seemed questionable. Best to grind the rookie charlottes and spend that money on oval tracks which I actually really enjoy for indycar/nascar.

How are the indycar oval races? are they significantly more difficult than the nascar stock cars, similar to how hard they are on road courses? I'm a big indycar fan, much more so than nascar and really want to get to the point where I can race both road and oval indy races. Are ovals more accessible than road courses in the dallara?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

FAILURE posted:

That seems like the best move. Thanks all.

Don't forget to always start from the pits. Always.

http://pahlavan.se/dump/iracing_360controllercareer_n_italianmusic.webm

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Torabi posted:

Don't forget to always start from the pits. Always.

Is it really worth it to do so, given the hit your irating would take once you graduate to whatever C class ovals you head to next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
If you can regularly start from pole :smug: , Charlotte Street Stock is really drat easy, just hold the bottom line all around the track. Really though, iRating isn't that big of a deal, you'll find your level quickly, just means you might dominate lower splits for a while if you're a hot Indy shoe.

• Locked thread