Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, 'cause shoe's are what they bear theclosest resemblance to...

Z4MC most certainly does not look like a 'clownshoe'. :colbert:

Edit: content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DropShadow posted:

His exact words were "Yeah, my dad's boss has one. Keeps it at his house in Germany because it's not road legal here."

Riiiiiiiiight.

To be fair he probably thought it was just a 959.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/27/aston-martin-dbc-mid-engine-concept/

:flashfap:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:sbahj:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Holy gently caress

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Justin's Timberlake's Bringing Sexy Back just started playing in my head.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It has the face of a fish.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

El Scotch posted:

The sexiest fish

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

reminds me of the jag C-X75

only more catfish.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

El Scotch posted:

Fish is fine, fish is good. I'm just glad to see a concept car in 2014 without angles(TM)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

An angry fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

El Scotch posted:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. :zoid:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7zkbR6ja0

video of a monster truck trying its hardest to destroy itself, and only just succeeding. It is awesome.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 16, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Linedance posted:

video of a monster truck trying its hardest to destroy itself, and only just succeeding. It is awesome.

I saw that run live, for some reason Orlando always seems to have standout freestyle runs like that.

This one was an absolute gutbuster to see live. Truck comes out from the pits, guns it, hits the first jump full speed, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vDHHwn6cg

:flaccid:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
It's the 1950s. You're the United States Army. You want to find ways of handling logistics in remote areas without having to build or depend on roads or railways. The obvious course is to pour development money into cargo airplanes, helicopters, and improvised landing strips.

Haha no way idiot that's the Air Force's job. Here is the Army's solution to the wrong problem: LeTourneau Overland Train.

Built mostly from welded aluminum. Four 1,170 horsepower gas turbine engines, distributed throughout the train. All trailers were equipped with steerable wheels, controlled such that they all began steering at the same point where the control cab did, enabling the LeTourneau Overland Train to make ninety-degree turns.

After an upgrade (replacing a 600-hp diesel engine with a turbine engine), the Overland Train had a 30-foot tall cab, with sleeping quarters for six, toilets, and a galley. The LeTourneau Overland Train had a length of 570 feet, a cargo capacity of 150 tons (hauled at 20 mph), a range of 350-400 miles at its full load (extendable with fuel trailers).

After preliminary testing, it was given to the Army in 1962, and tested at the Yuma Proving Ground. It was tested under the name "Project OTTER" (for "Overland Train Terrain Evaluation Research"), and performed well, at which point it was abandoned because helicopters were better. The Army put it up for sale for $1.4 million, and nobody bought it, so everything except the control cab was sold for scrap. The control cab remains at Yuma today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And to bring it back to AI, where the tires ended up (because it's apparently Monster Truck Day in AI today):

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm sure it's been posted here before, but that Overland Train reminds me of this crazy bastard:

55 feet long, 20 feet wide, 16 feet tall, and totally useless for its intended purpose!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fucknag posted:

And to bring it back to AI, where the tires ended up (because it's apparently Monster Truck Day in AI today):

the ~LeTourneau Overland Train~ is an automobile. :colbert:

guess what I was looking up when I learned about it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

I'm sure it's been posted here before, but that Overland Train reminds me of this crazy bastard:

55 feet long, 20 feet wide, 16 feet tall, and totally useless for its intended purpose!

CANYONEROOOOOOOOOOOOO! canyoneeeeeeeeeeeerrrrroooooo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The military is still trying to deliver supplies on four tires, except now it's self driving trucks with lidar and gps.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

88h88 posted:

A render? :v:

Also I learned (wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too late) that Takara put out RC Penny Racers... Seeing about getting a friend to acquire me a GC110 Skyline version.

Holy poo poo, you have to tell me where to get one.

:3: I played the gently caress out of the games from that company when I was younger.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

CANYONEROOOOOOOOOOOOO! canyoneeeeeeeeeeeerrrrroooooo

It's forty feet long and twenty feet wide
Twenty two tons of american pride CANYONEROOOOOOOO *whipcrack*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this world deserved a war between nations with overland trains and nations with ekranoplans and we didn't get it

we deserved it, and didn't get it, there is no God

e- also when I was younger I thought GI Joe vehicles were real, when I was older I thought they weren't, and now that I'm fully old I've learned that GI Joe vehicles are, in fact, real

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rorac posted:

Holy poo poo, you have to tell me where to get one.

:3: I played the gently caress out of the games from that company when I was younger.

The penny racer types are called 'Choro-Q' and are the pull back and go types, the RC ones are 'Q-steer' and both pop up from time to time on ebay. There's currently a set of Initial D ones, AE86 and an FD going for $10 with one day left and it comes with a larger drift FD and a toy AE86. I was gonna go for it but import from the US would've stung me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INITIAL-D-R...=item2a41ca1934

Ebay also has the Tamiya versions which look so cool. Expensive though.

The GC110 auction I'm looking at is on Yahoo auctions but they're massively annoying to buy from as getting a verified account if you're outside of Japan is a twat, luckily I have a friend who buys via another dude fairly often. There's currently the GC110, a couple of Hummers and a double pack of Back to the Future Deloreans from Universal Studios Japan on there.

*edit: This joint has a few kinds in stock: http://www.japtou.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=327_329

Amazon US has some but they're going for $80+ in most cases.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 16, 2014

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The dogs really complete this car. Gorgeous.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Linedance posted:

I just have to say that my mind is blown. That driver has to be experiencing a cross between being in a paint can shaker and riding a bull, and yet still knows when to hit the gas to brake in order to keep the truck upright. Maybe it's because I've never really been 'into' monster trucks, but I watched that part at 1:30 like 5 times and I'm loving impressed. poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, Tom Meents is pretty loving awesome as a driver. That being said, he's still no Dennis Anderson :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCQmljZXJuc

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, Tom Meents is pretty loving awesome as a driver. That being said, he's still no Dennis Anderson :allears:

Differential brake discs glowing red :stare:

Edit: And shooting sparks, jesus christ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fun fact, part of the reason those brakes get so hot is due to the huge rotating inertia of those giant wheels and tires. They store so much energy they actually use them as flywheels for pitch control during jumps; if you watch, on a lot of big jumps they'll be nose up at first with the wheels turning, then they'll lock the brakes and the momentum gets transferred into the truck, rotating the nose down so they can land without breaking poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Fun fact, part of the reason those brakes get so hot is due to the huge rotating inertia of those giant wheels and tires. They store so much energy they actually use them as flywheels for pitch control during jumps; if you watch, on a lot of big jumps they'll be nose up at first with the wheels turning, then they'll lock the brakes and the momentum gets transferred into the truck, rotating the nose down so they can land without breaking poo poo.

Just like I do with my R/C-- but I don't even run my R/C truck as hard as in those videos. :stonklol:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do they only have those two brakes for the whole truck or are there also wheel cylinders?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

angryhampster posted:

A bit too low for me but I still like.

Dude's cars aren't for everyone but I particularly like this:

I really wanna get the exact fighting tiger for my car :allears:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

This is metal as poo poo. How can you not enjoy this.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jamal posted:

Do they only have those two brakes for the whole truck or are there also wheel cylinders?

Pretty sure they have wetbrakes at the wheel ends- most of the equipment they borrow the axles from uses that sort of brake.
Wouldn't be surprised if those driveline brakes were just there for parking an/or specifically to make sparks and get all glowy and poo poo.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'll take the rest of the car without the tiger... especially those rear window louvers :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tommychu posted:

Pretty sure they have wetbrakes at the wheel ends- most of the equipment they borrow the axles from uses that sort of brake.
Wouldn't be surprised if those driveline brakes were just there for parking an/or specifically to make sparks and get all glowy and poo poo.

So, those are basically the same as motorcycle wet clutches. Multiple alternating plates bathed in oil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I would go one step further.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Cross posting from the D&D Middle East Thread (of all places)

It's a homemade Kurdish tank ambulance

Here's an article on more
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/check-out-these-homemade-kurdish-tanks-86459f92e161

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
A few randoms from the Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the yellow car?