Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AP posted:

Unit registration is up.

Don't moan about being counted as retained.

Ugh you fuckers, fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeti Fiasco posted:

Play the loving game, it's not as horrible as it was in beta, rolling with goons is still fun, even if we are terrible at videogames.

Debatable. 12v12 really is poo poo. Deathball...yawn.

12v12 would be fine on larger maps with objectives and that would really promote role warfare, but you'd need some type of ingame communication beyond basic text chat to facilitate the cooperation to make that work.

That's the real problem with this game; regardless of getting units/factions/clans and CW out, it will always boil down to arena deathmatch and that's just not proper mechwarrior.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
12v12 is poo poo on new maps because the maps are way too big and open, which just makes finding enemy take ages and promote sniping until couple of enemy mech explode. 12v12 is poo poo on old maps because there are too many mechs clustered in small pathways. Overall 12v12 is poo poo. But no I can't say this because I haven't updated my game client yet :suicide:

And yes, to make 12v12 on newer maps work they really need to add more objectives to the maps.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

AP posted:

Anders got in first, so like his post.

Done. Viva la squawk! :v:

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
Holy hell. I spend a month moving and now there is a new thread and talks of unit registration. Has the game drastically changed in the last month or so? Is CW still a pipe dream or actually coming to fruition?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jimbosaurus posted:

Holy hell. I spend a month moving and now there is a new thread and talks of unit registration. Has the game drastically changed in the last month or so? Is CW still a pipe dream or actually coming to fruition?

Stockholm syndrome. It's gotten even worse. I might play again. What is happening to me. It's simply a lack of good stompy robot options with no better alternate. Isn't that loving sad? Where can I get my mech simulation hardon stroked properly around here? The mechwarrior gloryhole went dry a long time ago. Now, it's like loving a wall. A wall that's been hosed so many times there is almost another hole in it.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Kazvall posted:

Stockholm syndrome. It's gotten even worse. I might play again. What is happening to me. It's simply a lack of good stompy robot options with no better alternate. Isn't that loving sad? Where can I get my mech simulation hardon stroked properly around here? The mechwarrior gloryhole went dry a long time ago. Now, it's like loving a wall. A wall that's been hosed so many times there is almost another hole in it.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Kazvall posted:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
All of them.

Also a goon was sent a warning email from IGP/PGI for some recent in game comments towards the pubbies, so really nothing has changed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kazvall posted:

Look, the splinters are just the way the wall expresses its love.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

TeeMerk posted:

All of them.

Also a goon was sent a warning email from IGP/PGI for some recent in game comments towards the pubbies, so really nothing has changed.

What did that person say?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I believe he was quoting lines from the movie Blue Velvet, but maybe the F word was involved.

There is some no profanity guild we run across maybe it was them?

Actually I can try and have him post that story here if he can be arsed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jimbosaurus posted:

We all quit so long ago that our memories of just how awful :pgi: is have gone dusty and the urge to play stompy robots stays constant.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkzLJ7JYLY

Someone recreated the MW2 intro.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

That's actually pretty cool and fooled me for a second.

Obviously those Thors didnt have double basics and speed tweak or they would have avoided that.

Also, why is this Griffon I have been playing taller than a Madcat?

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Aesis posted:

12v12 is poo poo on new maps because the maps are way too big and open, which just makes finding enemy take ages and promote sniping until couple of enemy mech explode. 12v12 is poo poo on old maps because there are too many mechs clustered in small pathways. Overall 12v12 is poo poo. But no I can't say this because I haven't updated my game client yet :suicide:

And yes, to make 12v12 on newer maps work they really need to add more objectives to the maps.

It's mostly the awful map design, every map seems to have 2-3 paths and the rest of the map is promptly ignored. They should make the maps like mw3, large city blocks with no defined paths. Something other than a wasteland or city would be nice too.

Yeti Fiasco fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 15, 2014

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
The fact that there aren't full working bases and AI vehicles in the game is actually kind of shocking given how long they've been running. How long ago did Closed Beta start?

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

The fact that there aren't full working bases and AI vehicles in the game is actually kind of shocking given how long they've been running. How long ago did Closed Beta start?

2 years ago, turning this from an arena shooter into something a bit more like mw:ll or some kind of combined arms game would make this far more fun, having salvage weapons actually drop would be fun too (if they had to be repaired before use), :pgi: could have done many things, but instead they didn't, gently caress knows why.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I heard they were told by their publisher to stop most developement not involving Mechs because they didn't know if they could keep the license.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

I heard they were told by their publisher to stop most developement not involving Mechs because they didn't know if they could keep the license.

They have the license guaranteed until 2018, and an option to extend to 2022. This has been the case for more than a year, so this is complete bullshit or a blatantly transparent excuse.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EoRaptor posted:

They have the license guaranteed until 2018, and an option to extend to 2022. This has been the case for more than a year, so this is complete bullshit or a blatantly transparent excuse.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/145200-2013-state-of-the-inner-sphere/

quote:

On Nov 8th 2013 PGI and Microsoft finalized negotiations on an extension to PGI’s MechWarrior license. Whereas before our license ran out mid 2015 we are now ensured rights until mid-2018 and also if certain criteria is met will have until mid-2020 to continue to develop MechWarrior products including MWO.

Aside from rolling out new mechs/maps, game balance was left broken and no work was done on the promised community warfare for pretty much all of 2013. It's obvious now that they didn't see the point if the license went.

I'm still playing MWO as I like the feel of it but that's in spite of PGI who have proven themselves time and again to be knowingly dishonest, incredibly clueless about how their own game works while holding their players in contempt.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As a complete sperg who has learned alot about battletech lore since I first played that game I am truly upset that even though those are clan mechs and the whole game is about clan v clan nobody is using clan codespeak when talking.

I am sure this caused a stir back in the day.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

As a complete sperg who has learned alot about battletech lore since I first played that game I am truly upset that even though those are clan mechs and the whole game is about clan v clan nobody is using clan codespeak when talking.

I am sure this caused a stir back in the day.

I don't remember anyone on alt.games.mecha really giving two shits about that, since for the time it was an amazingly fun game and had at least a mildly interesting storyline, from what I remember.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Kazvall posted:

There is always Mechwarrior Tact...hahaha.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
As I'm only playing every other day, and only started again recently. Is it just me or is the Timberwolf made out of bullshit? I don't have the stats on hand, but it seems to have great armor and weaponry (like all the clan mechs), but it's also ridiculously fast for such a heavy battlemech. Maybe there were two of them and one was tanking/murdering and the other was rebuild for speed... but the last match I had one take quiet the punishment just to run off, with me in my Cent having no chance of catching up. :psyduck:

I mean, sarna.net lists a speed of 86km/h, but even :pgi: would not introduce it with all its capablilities and just let it run against all mechs of equal weight in the MM.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

I mean, sarna.net lists a speed of 86km/h, but even :pgi: would not introduce it with all its capablilities and just let it run against all mechs of equal weight in the MM.

This is exactly what they did.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Feindfeuer posted:

As I'm only playing every other day, and only started again recently. Is it just me or is the Timberwolf made out of bullshit? I don't have the stats on hand, but it seems to have great armor and weaponry (like all the clan mechs), but it's also ridiculously fast for such a heavy battlemech. Maybe there were two of them and one was tanking/murdering and the other was rebuild for speed... but the last match I had one take quiet the punishment just to run off, with me in my Cent having no chance of catching up. :psyduck:

Clan mechs in general are just nuts right now. The timber wolf and dire wolf in particular just utterly outclass things in their weight class.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Timber wolf was always the #1 posterchild of clan mechs from day one, precisely because it highlights all of the advantages of clan tech. There's a reason that it's the last of the clan mechs to be buyable with c-bills. It's a flat-out great mech design.

I've been loving around with the Kit fox and Nova some, and have a more favorable impression of the Kit fox than I'd expected. It takes punishment better than I'd figured it would, serves a useful anti-missile role, and can haul okay-ish weapons. It's criminally slow compared to most lights, but you shouldn't be leaving your team in the dust if you're the ECM umbrella in any event.

The Nova is just plain hosed by the godawful heat scheme. Even holding it down to 6 medium lasers and filling the rest up with heatsinks will leave it overheating in just a couple volleys. My impression is that someone wanting a medium laserboat will be better served by putting those lasers in a Hunch, given that I'd take IS mediums over clan ER mediums any day of the week. Additionally, the Nova arms that support six energy mounts have go-gently caress-yourself quirks on them reducing laser cooldown speed and slowing arm motion. So on top of a mech that doesn't let you use even half of its armament without shutting down in ten seconds, they add insult to injury by arbitrarily making it even shittier.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
If you're playing, add me on friends, same name as forum name.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Clan mechs in general are just nuts right now. The timber wolf and dire wolf in particular just utterly outclass things in their weight class.

I'd go so far as to say that in a match between two pilots of equal skill, a Timber Wolf would win against anything but a Dire Wolf. Of course, IS assaults are pretty much the go-to for people who like to press W and stare off into space before running to the forums to complain about getting cored.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Applied for Goonrathi so I can finally stop pubbing with the unwashed masses. Mediums so far seem broke as gently caress and I'm still lovely in light, but phracts and stalkers seem to do ok if I let half my team get wasted while waiting for everyone to get in brawling range :unsmith:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
A lot of chill duders play on the Goonfleet mumble (because we ALL came from Eve, AMIRITE), hop on there and browse down to the letter 'T'. You'll see spergs. Oh yes... Spergs.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Also free mech bay for shooting at mechbutts this weekend, its fairly easy to achieve. Marik related mechs and stuff on sale.

No idea when the Liao weekend is.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

Also free mech bay for shooting at mechbutts this weekend, its fairly easy to achieve. Marik related mechs and stuff on sale.

No idea when the Liao weekend is.

Probably never, because who gives a poo poo about liao? We have ~220 groups per-register for CW, 9 of which are Liao, and I strongly suspect that 3 of the 9 entries are all WoL. Liao is going to have a really bad day.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Probably never, because who gives a poo poo about liao? We have ~220 groups per-register for CW, 9 of which are Liao, and I strongly suspect that 3 of the 9 entries are all WoL. Liao is going to have a really bad day.

Metro needs to get his poo poo in gear then.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TeeMerk posted:

Metro needs to get his poo poo in gear then.

Yeah. I think communication will be key in that. :v:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

God I miss Metro so drat much.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

kingcom posted:

God I miss Metro so drat much.

You sick gently caress.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
It's sort of telling that the most fun I've had in MWO in forever was tonight when someone accidentally gunned down the predictably pink Dire wolf of a 'hellokitty' on our team. It set off a chain reaction, random pubbies on our team abruptly turning on us and each other and disintegrating into a brawl that left half of the mechs disabled without having set foot outside the capture area of the base. One can only imagine what the other team thought when they came upon the twisted remnants. We had too few goons to guarantee victories like the old days, but there was at least a great deal of laughter while everyone hosed around and exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Valatar posted:

Timber wolf was always the #1 posterchild of clan mechs from day one, precisely because it highlights all of the advantages of clan tech. There's a reason that it's the last of the clan mechs to be buyable with c-bills. It's a flat-out great mech design.

I've been loving around with the Kit fox and Nova some, and have a more favorable impression of the Kit fox than I'd expected. It takes punishment better than I'd figured it would, serves a useful anti-missile role, and can haul okay-ish weapons. It's criminally slow compared to most lights, but you shouldn't be leaving your team in the dust if you're the ECM umbrella in any event.

The Kit Fox having access to Clan weaponry means it can be quite a goddamned fright for a light.

It can carry two C-ER Large Lasers and prod enemies at range for 23 damage a shot. All while being The Umbrella and giving everyone ECM.

• Locked thread