Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also bros before hos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'd love it if they did go after the Fire Lord, only for it to be revealed that she's basically Azula 2.0 in terms of bending and she beats the poo poo out of (a few of) them.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Good episode, Bumi remains a loving joke though. I get that it's a kids show and he can't do anything lethal, but isn't he a close quarters fighter and an airbender besides? It was hilarious how he stuck around with his siblings to fight as if he was going to have meaningful impact.

Frankly, Jinora would have been a much better choice to stay back although it's perfectly understandable why Tenzin wouldn't make that call. However I am rather annoyed at the trend of her being passive to set up Kai doing something heroic, despite being an infinitely more skilled fighter than him.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jinora has irreplaceable non-combat capabilities. She is literally the last person you want to throw at a fight unless all other avenues are exhausted, regardless of her skill level.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Jinora has irreplaceable non-combat capabilities. She is literally the last person you want to throw at a fight unless all other avenues are exhausted, regardless of her skill level.
While logical, this also hurts her agency as a character in an action-adventure show.
Even a short "No, we need you." would have fixed this.

And I don't think we need to use spoiler tags anymore.

Also the longer we go without knowing what Zaheer wants with Korra the more I fear it's going to be something really stupid. Guess we'll find out next week!

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 15, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wait.

Who was flying the airship?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

seravid posted:

I'm all for giving Zuko more screen time but Korra, you dumbass, guess who else knows Aang pretty well? His wife.

Or his son who he apparently shirked most other responsibilities to focus on and become close with!

Turns out Korra can not teleport.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait.

A wizard.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait.

micro-airburst-combustions that sent shockwaves to move the controls :smugbert:

:goonsay:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait.

Ming-Hua is very good at multitasking.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait.

Bosco.

That bitch didn't eat all of him. :clint:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I was under the assumption that they just kidnapped or coerced some of the Earth Queen's guys to do the flying for them. With how readily that Earth Nation guard dropped his duties to help with the looting, it would follow that the now-leaderless mechanics and pilots would fall under the sway of someone as charismatic and powerful as Zaheer.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Genocyber posted:

My favorite part of the episode was Zuko learning Iroh's still around. That face he made was perfect. Really hope that's followed up on either at the end of this season or sometime next season.
It looks 100% like teenage Zuko.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wait.

Guru Laghima is their co-pilot

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

No way Tenzin's dead, with how liberally they were spouting the words "die" and "kill" this episode, even ignoring the fact that he's the last bargaining chip they have to get Korra.

Good episode, Bumi remains a loving joke though. I get that it's a kids show and he can't do anything lethal, but isn't he a close quarters fighter and an airbender besides? It was hilarious how he stuck around with his siblings to fight as if he was going to have meaningful impact.

Bumi was actually very clever this fight because instead of trying to depend on air bending he just grabs the dude and tries to bite his ear off.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Miss Nomer posted:

Guru Laghima is their co-pilot

Why would he need to pilot an airship? He can already levitate.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
After that episode, I'm definitely in the "Tenzin's going to die" camp. Not as a result of that episode, though. I think Zaheer will do it in front of Korra, after she refuses to join him, to demonstrate just how serious he is.

Then Korra will lose her poo poo, go Avatar State, and rip some people the gently caress apart. It will be brutal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The final battle of this season is probably going to be Avatar State Korra vs. The Red Lotus, and it will be awesome.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Half a world away.

TheModernAmerican posted:

One person is a few yards away, another is on another hemisphere.

Tenzin is pretty far away too and they still manage to communicate.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

After that episode, I'm definitely in the "Tenzin's going to die" camp. Not as a result of that episode, though. I think Zaheer will do it in front of Korra, after she refuses to join him, to demonstrate just how serious he is.

Then Korra will lose her poo poo, go Avatar State, and rip some people the gently caress apart. It will be brutal.

God yes I hope Korra rips waterbending woman's legs off and snipes a pebble through combustion woman's skull and and and :gizz:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

seravid posted:

Tenzin is pretty far away too and they still manage to communicate.

Yes, and they're still using that communication device to urgently try to contact Tenzin. You think Korra should be like "Hey, stop trying to call them, I'm going to call Katara for her advice on what to do"?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

seravid posted:

God yes I hope Korra rips waterbending woman's legs off and snipes a pebble through combustion woman's skull and and and :gizz:

You are dumb hth

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

It really does :allears: I was enjoying how wise and cool Zuko was acting, but that face is just perfection.

On Tenzin, I think he'll survive. If Zaheer didn't take the chance to kill him after that sentence then he wants Tenzin alive, if he wants to kill him in front of Korra or something hardcore thing then it'll be in a time where someone can actually do something about it and stop him, be it Avatar State Korra wrecking him or Bolin/Mako/Bumi/Kya/Kai showing up to save Tenzin at the last minute.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

thexerox123 posted:

Yes, and they're still using that communication device to urgently try to contact Tenzin. You think Korra should be like "Hey, stop trying to call them, I'm going to call Katara for her advice on what to do"?

This isn't worth arguing, I was just mocking Korra for not thinking of calling Katara - whenever! - if she needed Aang or Aang-like advice and having Iroh solve the problem for her instead.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

seravid posted:

This isn't worth arguing, I was just mocking Korra for not thinking of calling Katara - whenever! - if she needed Aang or Aang-like advice and having Iroh solve the problem for her instead.

Korra has proven time and again that she is terrible at thinking of alternate solutions and different ways of thinking about her problems. It's why Airbending gave her such a hard time, and why she still isn't very good at it beyond "throw wind at target". She's exceptionally talented, but a little too hard-headed.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Kai you scrappy bugger. :3:

EDIT: I also thought it was a really nice touch that Bolin's grandmother acted the way she did. Ba Sing Se definitely seemed like it had some North Korean inspiration, along with the Qin Dynasty China aesthetic and mood. The fact that grandma keeps a portrait of the Earth Queen and prays to/worships her is a lot like how the older generation of North Koreans still venerate Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il (and will keep their portraits as essentially sacred objects), while the younger generation is much more pragmatic and aware of their hardships. Her stubborn refusal to leave her home is also reminiscent of the nationalist pride of older North Koreans, who were much more willing to suffer hardship in the name of their nationalist principles.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Zaheer has ridiculous airbending skills for someone who's only been airbending for a few months. I'm glad Tenzin was beating him, but still, yeesh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Zaheer has ridiculous airbending skills for someone who's only been airbending for a few months. I'm glad Tenzin was beating him, but still, yeesh.

While he certainly is skilled, if you pay attention you can see that he pretty much just uses airbending to augment his fighting style. Such as using airbending to boost his jumps, rather than doing Tenzin's tornado thing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

He's been practicing the forms for decades.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite fight bit was when Kiya snapped off Ming Hua's icicle blade. Have we seen someone actually pry an element out of a bender's grip? Because that was seriously more impressive than her whole fight with Zaheer.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
It's assumed that Zaheer would have been Korra's airbending tutor, had the Red Lotus managed to abduct her, so he's definitely no slouch. Of course, up until about a month ago all of his knowledge and mastery was purely theoretical, so I was really pleased to see him get trounced by Tenzin.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I really really hope that we'll see Katara again at least some point in the rest of the series. Zuko's appeared and has fought, Toph has been hinted to be out there, and all Katara's really done is some healing stuff. As the most powerful waterbender in the world I'd love to see her face off agains Ming Hua.

Plus, you know, Katara against a character voiced by Grey DeLisle? It'll be like the last Agni Kai all over again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tenzin came off like a beast this episode. That whole scene of "No, I do have a choice!" followed by blasting Zaheer, Ghazan, and Ming Hua into a wall and staggering them enough that everybody else could get out was loving :black101: as hell.

edit:

:black101::black101::black101:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Sydin posted:

I actually wished Iroh had stuck around a bit longer. He was the grand master of the White Lotus in the last series, and it would have been an interesting moment for Korra to reveal the White/Red Lotus split, and that members originally of his old order were the main villains. Iroh's reaction would have been an interesting character moment.

I don't think Korra would have allowed him to take up that much of her time, considering how urgent the situation was.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite fight bit was when Kiya snapped off Ming Hua's icicle blade. Have we seen someone actually pry an element out of a bender's grip? Because that was seriously more impressive than her whole fight with Zaheer.

Katara could do it. Took control of her own blood back from Hama.

That scene actually made me wonder about Ming Hua in reference to Hama. Bloodbending is fairly well-known among many circles at this point in time, and you'd think a powerful waterbender like Ming Hua would be able to do it. Hell, Hama was the first one to figure it out in prison with the rats scurrying by, you'd think Ming Hua would have been able to reach out and grab the blood of the guards in her prison since 15-year-old Katara could even bloodbend in full daylight. (Holy poo poo I'd love to see Katara show up and just pin her to the wall with ice spikes and scold her like a crotchety grandma.)

Also, Old Man Zuko's face when he heard Iroh is still around. :3: Such a great episode. This show has absolutely hit its stride this season. There are the right amount of goofy moments, serious moments, and TLA-style bending brawls are back!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Serella posted:

you'd think Ming Hua would have been able to reach out and grab the blood of the guards in her prison since 15-year-old Katara could even bloodbend in full daylight. (Holy poo poo I'd love to see Katara show up and just pin her to the wall with ice spikes and scold her like a crotchety grandma.)

Katara never bloodbent in full daylight. She never bloodbent outside of the night of a full moon. The only people who can bloodbend without the aid of the moon are Yakone and his two sons, all dead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can we take a moment to talk about how awesome Ghazan is? Nobody knows how to handle that guy.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Can we take a moment to talk about how awesome Ghazan is? Nobody knows how to handle that guy.

Uh, biting him seemed to work pretty well? I think Meelo can handle that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bongo Bill posted:

This is why Toph is coming back.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukr5c07gaUI

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
My friend theorizes that Bolin's metal bending arc will end in him ultimately failing at that, but being able to lava bend, which would be one way to address Ghazan in a climactic moment.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

iSheep posted:

Still hanging on to my theory I posted earlier in the thread.

Tenzin is gonna eat it, they have been setting it up the entire season.

Yes. There are people to replace him, and Zaheer does have that theory about needing to destroy the old to allow for new growth. Tenzin is the last remaining airbender of the old order. Also, them panning away as they continued to beat him down was a pretty clear sign that the animation team wasn't allowed to show us something (the Earth Queen was shocking, but she was at least a villain). Just like how I don't think they've used the word "dead" or "killed", they manuever around showing death. The camera was maneuvering. I would be very surprised if he's still alive

My theory about Korra is that the Red Lotus want to kill her when she's in the Avatar state, as that will end the cycle with Vaatu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We don't need to spoiler speculation, y'all.

Also Tenzin's maybe-death is Korra doing something that the original series did very well: taking advantage of its status as a "kidsfamily show." Were this series NOT ostensibly targeted towards kids, we'd all "know" Tenzin isn't dead because we didn't see the body. But now that ambiguity is actually believable, since we know that if he did die they couldn't have shown it.

My new theory is that the Red Lotus doesn't want to take Korra alive, they just want to take her out while she's in the Avatar State so that the cycle ends forever (which they would know after learning about Raava, as Zaheer says they have.)

I also would love it if Korra tried to energybend Zaheer and it backfires, and Zaheer is like "My spirit is unbendable, Avatar."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread