Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

General Emergency posted:

I'm struggling through Way of the Kings because someone said it would go insane DragonBall Z poo poo but I'm now like three quarters in and... It's just so boring. Nothing is happening. Kaladin moans about and is a sad sack of poo poo. The girl is exited about studying and the General is thinking of retirement. This has gone on for hundreds of pages. Jesus. It doesn't help that the pov characters have zero interaction and everyone else has a one note personality. Should I just give up again or soldier through?

You're almost to the 'Sanderson Avalanche', hang in there. He seems to be getting a little better about pacing but a lot of the meat in Sanderson novels happens in the last 20% of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

spootime posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a new series to start? I was thinking of reading Richard Morgans fantasy series as I really liked the Altered Carbon books, but I haven't heard all that much about it.

Land Fit for Heroes is basically 'gently caress character tropes - the series'. Read it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

eriktown posted:

I read the Fuzzy books when I was a little kid and thought they were awesome :3

IMO they're not a bad way to teach kids that even those who don't look, sound, or act like you are people too (...unless they're women, I guess, this is the sixties.)

Every couple of months I read a few more Theodore Sturgeon short stories from his collected works. There's so much "if this shook me up this much how bad would it be for dames" kind of talk and a lot of "why I outta pop you one" machismo. It's weird and occasionally annoying. I feel the same way watching old silver screen films though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. I bought one of his books a while back when amazon had a sale on his ebook stuff.

Worst god damned book I ever read, but then again, MY FAULT for not thinking it'd be something based in a 60's mentality. Basically the story of a retarded dude who had a HORRIBLE SECRET and would go apeshit and try to kill people if he thought they knew it, and it turned out he liked to drink blood from his girlfriend to calm down. I can see this being horrifying 50 years ago, but today it's just like "Dude that's kinda hosed up, let us never speak of it again.", kinda like bronies.

I guess I've just seen some poo poo man, and it changes ya. :stonklol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pyroclastic posted:

I picked up H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy collected editions at Half Price Books the other day. I liked Scalzi's recent retelling, and decided to keep an eye out for the originals.
They're so 1960s it almost hurts. Nice little stories, but really badly dated.

The first book is largely about the political and legal maneuvering about the Fuzzies' sapience. It tends to stay pretty tech-vague except with things like easy antigravity and apparently unbeatable lie detectors. They have video phones and video recorders, and even high-speed video transmission. Except recording is all done on a spool of wire and 'high speed' literally means they can transmit a copy at 60x normal playback speed.
It is a little unusual (by today's standards, at least) that all 8 of the other sapient species are inferior to humans; even the Fuzzies wind up being mentally equivalent to 10-year-olds. It talks about adopting Fuzzy families and basically treating them as clever, affectionate pets, but with the rights and legal protections of humans. A strange mix of progressivism and...Imperialism? Paternalism? The Big Bad Company loses its "And you thought what we did to Earth was bad" level of exclusive exploitation rights, but rather than the Fuzzies getting the native rights to their planet, it just turns into a public domain landgrab.

The second book really starts dating itself. The corporate bigwig literally has a secretarial pool of 'girls' to do office work. There's a monolithic 'Computer' that's described like a blinkenlights state-dependent phone switchboard that a Fuzzy fucks up by re-arranging lights and plugs. It mentions how Newton didn't even have carbons as a backup copy when his dog wrecked a paper he spent months on!

Piper was only a couple years from his death at age 60 when he wrote these, so even that computer must've seemed utterly fantastical to him, but for a story set over 500 years into the future, it still seems...short sighted.

Yeah, they've dated really hard. I read a bunch of Piper's stuff when Scalzi's book came out (Piper wrote a book titled "Space Viking!") and it's all like that. To be fair though, paternalistic treatment of noble-savage adorable baby bear aliens was still mainstream scifi trope twenty years later, and not just with Ewoks -- look at something like C.J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station, which in every other respect is a brilliant novel.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Velius posted:

I, also, really enjoy the Land Fit for Heroes. The setting is interesting, and it's more than a little refreshing to have two of three leads in a fantasy series be GLBT. It's only a little grim, not excessively so, and has the usual violence Morgan is known for.
Only a little grim? :psyboom:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Forgall posted:

Only a little grim? :psyboom:

Yeah, I reckon. Even the decadent scumbag Emperor isn't portrayed as completely irredeemable; he shows mercy to Archeth's shipbuilder buddy and generally makes it clear that while he definitely enjoys the perks of his position, he's not handpuppet evil, just a product of court society and in a pretty difficult position vis a vis internal rebellion and the conflict between church and state. Ringil rescues his cousin, nobody the main characters really value has died since the series began, and the main characters likewise have frequent opportunities to kick rear end and be awesome. If the series was really that grim, we'd still be wallowing in misery right now.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm almost done with the second book in the Fionavar Tapestry. For some reason, after finishing Fionavar, I now have the urge to read...Dragonlance. So, re-reading Chronicles for the first time in 15 years, plus adding some weird trilogy from the early 2000s placed in between books 1 and 2, good idea or great idea? Can't be worse than picking up and slogging through Words of Radiance, right?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

eriktown posted:

Yeah, I reckon. Even the decadent scumbag Emperor isn't portrayed as completely irredeemable; he shows mercy to Archeth's shipbuilder buddy and generally makes it clear that while he definitely enjoys the perks of his position, he's not handpuppet evil, just a product of court society and in a pretty difficult position vis a vis internal rebellion and the conflict between church and state. Ringil rescues his cousin, nobody the main characters really value has died since the series began, and the main characters likewise have frequent opportunities to kick rear end and be awesome. If the series was really that grim, we'd still be wallowing in misery right now.

Yeah but you haven't finished the series yet.

Also a reminder that the main antagonists cut off peoples' heads and attach them to tree stumps so they can live out eternity in perpetual torment. Nothing grim there.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm almost done with the second book in the Fionavar Tapestry. For some reason, after finishing Fionavar, I now have the urge to read...Dragonlance. So, re-reading Chronicles for the first time in 15 years, plus adding some weird trilogy from the early 2000s placed in between books 1 and 2, good idea or great idea? Can't be worse than picking up and slogging through Words of Radiance, right?

If you think Sanderson is a bad writer and a slog to get through I have no idea why you think it wouldn't be agonizing for you to read Weis and Hickman.

IMO Legend of Huma and then a few comedy-oriented books are the only readable ones.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I loved Dragonlance when I was a kid but they didn't hold up very well at all when I was feeling nostalgic a couple years ago and tried reading one of them again. If you still have them laying around then sure, give em a go again, but I wouldn't spend money on them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZerodotJander posted:

If you think Sanderson is a bad writer and a slog to get through I have no idea why you think it wouldn't be agonizing for you to read Weis and Hickman.
Weis and Hickman aren't so bad when they aren't writing lovely D&D fanfiction. Darksword was pretty okay.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ornamented Death posted:

Also a reminder that the main antagonists cut off peoples' heads and attach them to tree stumps so they can live out eternity in perpetual torment. Nothing grim there.
And protagonist orders his soldiers to rape a woman.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Cardiovorax posted:

Weis and Hickman aren't so bad when they aren't writing lovely D&D fanfiction. Darksword was pretty okay.

I remember thinking those books actually were worse than the original DragonLance trilogy when I read them as a teenager. In any case I don't see how someone who sneers at Sanderson would find any of their works readable. Sanderson has lots of faults if you hold him to a high standard but he's still leaps and bounds better than most genre authors who have bad prose, dull characters, boring plots, and uninteresting worlds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering he also writes bad prose, dull characters, uninteresting worlds and boring plots I don't really see why he would be. Something about their writing just appealed to me more, but if you disliked it I'm not going to fight over it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

savinhill posted:

I loved Dragonlance when I was a kid but they didn't hold up very well at all when I was feeling nostalgic a couple years ago and tried reading one of them again. If you still have them laying around then sure, give em a go again, but I wouldn't spend money on them.

ZerodotJander posted:

I remember thinking those books actually were worse than the original DragonLance trilogy when I read them as a teenager. In any case I don't see how someone who sneers at Sanderson would find any of their works readable. Sanderson has lots of faults if you hold him to a high standard but he's still leaps and bounds better than most genre authors who have bad prose, dull characters, boring plots, and uninteresting worlds.

Haha, sounds good, about what I expected. I made it through Way of Kings, but it took me awhile due to lack of interest. I only mentioned Sanderson because if Dragonlance was basically Sanderson-level writing + slightly quicker pace + nostalgia, I thought it might be doable.

I do still have the Chronicles books somewhere, so I'll probably give the first a try again and not expect to make it very far.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Cardiovorax posted:

Considering he also writes bad prose, dull characters, uninteresting worlds and boring plots I don't really see why he would be. Something about their writing just appealed to me more, but if you disliked it I'm not going to fight over it.

If you can track down a copy, there's an annotated omnibus collection of Chronicles with lots of notes by Weis and Hickmen. The notes are interesting -- at least, many of them. Most of the Hickman notes make him sound like an rear end, although that's amusing in its own right. At the least it's a handy large format collection of the books. For my money, Chronicles stands up better than most of the Brooks, Eddings and Feist books I was reading at the same time back in the day.

There's also a similar annotated omnibus of Legends, but i haven't read my copy yet, so I can't vouch for those annotations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ornamented Death posted:

Now THAT'S the grimdark part. :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm rereading Blindsight and I have a question: what does topology mean in the context of information?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

zoux posted:

I'm rereading Blindsight and I have a question: what does topology mean in the context of information?

I am guessing it refers to the network topology of linked ideas or concepts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think it really means anything in Blindsight. It's just supposed to show that Siri has a special ability to process information (and in particular understand people) in a way different from normal humans. You could literally substitute "aura" (OK, you'd have to change a couple associated verbs as well, too) and it would work, it just wouldn't have the right feel.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

zoux posted:

It's been a while, but doesn't the protagonist talk about translating information in terms of rotating surfaces? Topology is, literally*, the study of surfaces.

(*alright, that's not exactly a rigorous definition)

eriktown posted:

I am guessing it refers to the network topology of linked ideas or concepts.

Or that. Might be the same thing, actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mystes posted:

I don't think it really means anything in Blindsight. It's just supposed to show that Siri has a special ability to process information (and in particular understand people) in a way different from normal humans. You could literally substitute "aura" (OK, you'd have to change a couple associated verbs as well, too) and it would work, it just wouldn't have the right feel.

So it's just kind of a gestalt sense that puts together a number of informational cues?

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

So it's just kind of a gestalt sense that puts together a number of informational cues?
Well, a topology is a type of mathematical object so it would be more precise to say that we are to understand that Siri's ability to process information is apparently based on an ability to understand informational cues by somehow recognizing or mentally manipulating topologies, but the exact details of what a topology is certainly don't matter. You're presumably not supposed to understand how he does it, it's just a way he can have this special ability as a result of being wired differently instead of technology or magic or something.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Star of the Guardians still holds up. It's essentially a more political Star Wars with shades of grey, which helps.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

eriktown posted:

Now THAT'S the grimdark part. :smith:

On the other hand, I finished The Dark Defiles today and have no one with which to discuss it :smith:.

Great book, and a fitting end to the series btw.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

On the other hand, I finished The Dark Defiles today and have no one with which to discuss it :smith:.

Great book, and a fitting end to the series btw.

Main question:
Is Takeshi Kovacs Dakovash?.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Not TDD spoilers but The Cold Commands spoilers: of course he is! Come on! Dakovash, Tak Kovacs, Kelgris, Quellcrist, Dakovash talking about taking weapons from those bird aliens... Come on! Some people really don't like this theory but I think it's so blindingly obvious. The fact that Kelgris is a dick and murdered a prostitute just to talk to a priest is totally in character.

More Magicians series impressions: God, I still hate Elliot. He's such a hypocritical fop. He bitches about how wrong it is to take guns into Fillory and complains about the wrongness of imperialism when Quentin mentions claiming land and then bankrupts the realm to plate his chambers in gold and while on Earth did nothing to ever contribute to anything. It's like reading about a Debate & Discussion poster. UGGGHHH.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Not TDD spoilers but The Cold Commands spoilers: of course he is! Come on! Dakovash, Tak Kovacs, Kelgris, Quellcrist, Dakovash talking about taking weapons from those bird aliens... Come on! Some people really don't like this theory but I think it's so blindingly obvious. The fact that Kelgris is a dick and murdered a prostitute just to talk to a priest is totally in character.

Yeah, I think it is a completely bullshit idea that only detracts from the story.
The story stands on its own and have no need to add stuff from other series. His other non-Kovacs books are great (Market Forces and Black Man, or as you say in US Thirteen), and adding Kovacs into the storyline is just cheesy.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I really don't mind it. The setting clearly has sci-fi elements, given what we see in TCC. I used to dislike mixing sci-fi with my fantasy, but I trust Morgan. Something in TDD might change my mind, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have an Echopraxia Q:

Is The Colonel a separate novella or is an extracted part of the novel? I want to know if I should read it in advance or not.

I was going to read the Lev Grossman short stories "The Girl in the Mirror" and "The Duel" but it turned out they were just chapters from The Magician's Land published separately; so I'd like to know if this is the same deal.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

I have an Echopraxia Q:

Is The Colonel a separate novella or is an extracted part of the novel? I want to know if I should read it in advance or not.

It's just a linking part. It doesn't really matter, but it gives you a little more insight into one of the Echopraxia concepts and lets you know Siri's dad is an okay guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another Echopraxia question: Is the book mostly about the vampires taking over? Does it happen in the time in which Siri is shuttling back?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Another Echopraxia question: Is the book mostly about the vampires taking over? Does it happen in the time in which Siri is shuttling back?

Eh... Society breaks down. It touches the world tangentially. Which is probably my biggest problem with the book.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've just finished reading Alistair Reynold's Redemption Ark. Revelation Space was cool and Chasm City was better, but I found this one a little disappointing. Does the series start to trail off now or is it worth picking up Absolution Gap?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

big scary monsters posted:

I've just finished reading Alistair Reynold's Redemption Ark. Revelation Space was cool and Chasm City was better, but I found this one a little disappointing. Does the series start to trail off now or is it worth picking up Absolution Gap?

I hated Absolution Gap, and I've enjoyed most of Reynolds stuff. There's virtually no space action that I can recall and most of the book centers on some dumb cultists. Then comes the ending, which I found extremely dissatisfying to the extent of making the earlier books worse in retrospect. I'd recommend stopping at Absolution and reading the other stuff he's written. I might be in the minority but I actually liked Century Rain, although Chasm City and House of Suns are probably his most well regarded stuff. Reynolds newest series I found to be a total snoozer.

Velius fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Velius posted:

I hated Absolution Gap, and I've enjoyed most of Reynolds stuff. There's virtually no space action that I can recall and most of the book centers on some dumb cultists. Then comes the ending, which I found extremely dissatisfying to the extent of making the earlier books worse in retrospect. I'd recommend stopping at Absolution and reading the other stuff he's written. I might be in the minority but I actually liked Century Rain, although Chasm City and House of Suns are probably his most well regarded stuff. Reynolds newest series I found to be a total snoozer.

I agree completely and I enjoy his short fiction a lot as well. Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days, Zima Blue and Galactic North are all good, as are his novellas.

Edit: I've not read Deep Navigation, I'll have to see if I can hunt it down somewhere.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is the shadowmarch series by Tad Williams decent? Is it something that's more like LOTR, or malazan, or WOT?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ika posted:

Is the shadowmarch series by Tad Williams decent? Is it something that's more like LOTR, or malazan, or WOT?

ASoIaF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Neurosis posted:

More Magicians series impressions: God, I still hate Elliot. He's such a hypocritical fop. He bitches about how wrong it is to take guns into Fillory and complains about the wrongness of imperialism when Quentin mentions claiming land and then bankrupts the realm to plate his chambers in gold and while on Earth did nothing to ever contribute to anything. It's like reading about a Debate & Discussion poster. UGGGHHH.
This reminds me that I don't recall much of anything that happened in Magician King.