Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Are we expecting FFG to announce anything of importance for LOTR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Nion posted:

V:TES with only 3 of each card would have to be a very different game. Might be doable as an LCG with either a smaller deck that you reshuffle whenever it runs out (though I'd miss the 90 card decks, big part of the "feel" of the game for me), or different packaging (3 copies of some cards, can only have 3 of those in your deck, 9 copies of others, can play 9 of those, for example).

The only way I can see it working is something like Star Wars mixed with Warhammer 40k.
You pick a main ID Vampire that comes with some cards themed around them, this also picks your clan. From there you build a Crypt with Vampires that each come with a crypt of cards fitting their Disciplines and such.
From there maybe have a influence system that allows you to put in X number of floater cards from any pod you are not already running.

Like you take Enkidu, The Noah as your leader making your deck a Gangrel deck. He comes with a few animalism retainers and some combat cards to go with his classic ability.
From there you are able to fill up your crypt with Vampires that have pods that support his range of disciplines. Say if at the end you find you need some more cards like Blood Doll to help regain some blood you just spend some of your influence to pull it out of a pod that has it but you are not running the vampire for.

It'd run into the same problems Star Wars did with needing a bigger card pool to really get going but I think it'd make for some interesting and deep deck building in that style. Also allows you to theme the Vampires really well. Each one having their own self contained little section of the world they relate too. If the they own a bar have that in their pod as a location, if they are a gruff beater type you toss in their favorite attacks, etc.
It'd really keep with the idea of being a powerful Methuselah using a puppet (your leader) to manipulate others to reach your goal.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Are we expecting FFG to announce anything of importance for LOTR?

I believe so. There is an empty spot next to the next Saga expansion that could be something.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Any word on when Vs will be in stores?

Also, I cant freaking believe they had product at GenCon for sale with no pre-hype or fanfare.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Any advice on Siege of Cair Andros? My friends and I finally got through Into Ithilien and it looks like this quest is even more bullshit. We're probably making it harder by playing with 4 people, but we did drop to Easy Mode.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
News that I can see so far for LOTR.
Treason of Saruman is the next Saga expansion (early 2015) with Aragorn as the Fellowship hero.
Next deluxe expansion is The Lost Realms based out of Angmar.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Xpost from Board Game thread, initial impressions of 40k. I'll try to answer any questions you guys have...

WH40k:Conquest - take all of my money FFG. Played a few games with the Space Marine and Ork decks. Factions seem to play very differently and very thematically (Orks drop shitloads of relatively weak units on the table; Marines have few, very powerful units). It plays fast too, the game is limited to a maximum of 7 rounds, our games all finished within 5. Lots of potential here, curious to see how the meta and tourney scenes develop.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God I wish I was at Gen Con so I could get a copy of Conquest :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LordNat posted:

That said I want nothing more than a LCG remake of V:TES. It is by FAR the best multiplier CCG ever made, Only thing that even came close was Doomtown and that breaks at 5+. I have hard well working games of V:TES with 7+ players, they take forever but are insanely fun.

Shadowfist and Doomtown are both better than VTES.

E: Doomtown has better mechanics, particularly in Reloaded, and Shadowfist is much smarter in the way it handles combat.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

S.J. posted:

Same, but I'd also try to grab Doomtown: Reloaded, Dead of Winter and Vs System. So many new things I need to keep on the lookout for!

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Shadowfist and Doomtown are both better than VTES.

E: Doomtown has better mechanics, particularly in Reloaded, and Shadowfist is much smarter in the way it handles combat.

Doomtown breaks at more than 4 players while V:TES can handle larger groups fine. I will agree combat is the weakest part of V:TES but it can be updated in a new release to fix that. Shadowfist is a game I have never tired so I have no idea how it handles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordNat posted:

Doomtown breaks at more than 4 players while V:TES can handle larger groups fine. I will agree combat is the weakest part of V:TES but it can be updated in a new release to fix that. Shadowfist is a game I have never tired so I have no idea how it handles.

Why specifically do you think Doomtown "breaks" at more than 4 players? I've played a handful of 6+ player Doomtown games and I never felt like anything was broken. Does the game get a little slow with more than 4? Sure, but that can also be attributed to slow players as much as anything else. The first time I played I was the least experienced player at the table and I don't think my turns took more than a minute. Sometimes it can suck waiting for combat to resolve when there's a lot of action/reactions flying around but combat itself never takes more than a few minutes. It helps when you go in with decks designed for multiplayer. It was still honestly a lot better than a lot of board games I've played that were designed with more than 5 players, so it would be nice if you could elaborate on why you think it's broken rather.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Why specifically do you think Doomtown "breaks" at more than 4 players?

Whoever wins Low Ball gets an insanely powerful econ boost that turn, Low Ball tends to be mostly random so it can really break a game.
Shoot Outs get too clunky and unwieldy at 4+.
Once some one starts to pull ahead it is really easy for people to team up on them making the game far longer than it needs to be.

V:TES's Predator -> Prey prevented most of those issues by making it so only players next to each other can interact without a (D)irected action. Meaning you can build a deck around interacting with other plays cross table (becoming a powerful force for Table Talk as people ask for aid) or you can go Stealth so people can't bug you, or you can go Politics and have people debating over a single vote on a Referendum.

I have had games where my Combat deck (Yes I know combat is awful but I love Enkidu, The Noah far too much) has a bunch of directed actions to pull people into combat and deal aggravated damage. This makes me a really powerful force on the table as I can take out titled vampires before votes, aid some one who is about to get drained to death, etc. Keeping the Pray of others alive matters just as much as killing my own, I want to make sure I get the first kill and can lead that into a chain reaction of kills with the bonus blood I gain.

No other card game has ever come close to the level of depth V:TES manages to pull off in large groups.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I won't really disagree about the lowball thing, but I will say that I've played enough board games to where I put myself in the group where directed attacks aren't a problem in a multiplayer scenario and neither are resource imbalances. In Doomtown specifically if a bunch of players are all directing their actions/jobs/callout against a specific person that person is probably drawing a lot of that from their own actions, and by winning Lowball and dropping a high rank character right off the bat you're painting a target on your head. The same issue can be applied to a lot of different games where anyone can attack anyone, our group found that issue with Nightfall for example. The problem there is that at some point that player gets enough of the hate that they can't possibly win and turns into a spoiler, once everyone in the group has been in that position you sort of see that it's not an effective way to win in that game. Applied to other games the "gang up and take someone out strategy" only really applies when one player gains a significant advantage over all the other players. Doomtown is far less forgiving in terms of this as a player could easily find themselves out on the first turn but in my experience the groups I've played with were far more eager to see what gets played over the course of a few turns and let table talk and alliances form as the game progresses than just to straight up knock someone out.

If you're only interested in playing multiplayer games where the interaction between players is highly regulated then I can see why you wouldn't consider a lot of these games as good at V:TES.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I can understand those points. I guess it really is just that Doomtown is too random and swingy for me for group play. Like I really do enjoy dueling in it. Just in a big group it feels so messy.
I think it comes down more to in Doomtown I feel like I am just trying to play the game while in V:TES I am trying to play the table.
IMO Doomtown plays better 1v1 while V:TES plays better in a group.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I never played VTS but the GoT combat system in multi games sounds sort of similar if a bit more forced.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

LordNat posted:

IMO Doomtown plays better 1v1 while V:TES plays better in a group.

I'll certainly agree on that point. While I'll bitch all day long about the randomness in Netrunner, I always found the randomness in Doomtown to still have some level of control or interaction. Yeah, you'll still get those games where you lose a shootout that you had the upperhand in on the first turn, but unless you needed to win that shootout not to lose anyway you still had some control over the situation and could have chickened out. In a big group scenario you can end up on the short end of the stick quite easily through no fault of your own.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Per a boardgamegeek thread, someone confirmed with FFG that they own all rights to "Living Card Game"/"LCG" and they have not licensed or given out use to anyone.

Poor Vs...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

omnibobb posted:

Per a boardgamegeek thread, someone confirmed with FFG that they own all rights to "Living Card Game"/"LCG" and they have not licensed or given out use to anyone.

Poor Vs...

Upper Deck Entertainment has never been the greatest company in terms of legalese or player communication.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Upper Deck Entertainment has never been the greatest company in terms of legalese or player communication.

If I remember right there was some big counterfeit YGO card scandal involving them. I am guessing they just plan to sell off a bunch of stock at Gencon and drop it soon after for a cash and grab.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

LordNat posted:

If I remember right there was some big counterfeit YGO card scandal involving them. I am guessing they just plan to sell off a bunch of stock at Gencon and drop it soon after for a cash and grab.

It was completely insane, it got so bad that there were more counterfeits printed than legit cards for certain high value rares at a time. This is probably the best article about it if you wanna see how scummy/incompetent UDE is.

http://cult-stuff.com/?p=444

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LordNat posted:

From what I understand this is actually how they lost the WoW license.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

S.J. posted:

gently caress Conquest is REALLY good. Branched out into the non-starter decks and my dicks hard with how awesome it is. Not convinced that it's super-balanced right now but it's very playable with one core.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Haven't really looked at conquest, maybe tomorrow
I do have a doomtown premium set though. And after today's Netrunner tournament, I have 2 alt art Noise. So, It's been pretty great for LCG's so far. Even if I did wait for over 3 hours to be in front of the line for nom VIGs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Karnegal posted:

I do have a doomtown premium set though.

I'm going to kill you and defile your Harrowed rear end. :rant:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I'm going to kill you and defile your Harrowed rear end. :rant:

Hey, I was thinking I'd finally get into Shadowfist but there are no videos of it on Youtube. I remember you did a Let's Play right?

Karnegal posted:

I do have a doomtown premium set though. And after today's Netrunner tournament, I have 2 alt art Noise. So, It's been pretty great for LCG's so far. Even if I did wait for over 3 hours to be in front of the line for nom VIGs

Lucky dude. That's probably the best thing for people who went to Gencon was getting to skip the bullshit of having to order 6 copies of the normal edition to get the premiums. I hope they kick that second printing into high gear because of the hype coming out of this. Everyone I know that's interested only wants to get the premium copy, even a few friends that are just board gamers just want it for the awesome production values.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Hey, I was thinking I'd finally get into Shadowfist but there are no videos of it on Youtube. I remember you did a Let's Play right?

I did, but it was photos and detailed description. I think you need Archives to see it now.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Lawen posted:

gently caress Conquest is REALLY good. Branched out into the non-starter decks and my dicks hard with how awesome it is. Not convinced that it's super-balanced right now but it's very playable with one core.

Seconding this except that I am MAD AS HELL that 'Nids are not in the base game. Where are my unstoppable bug monsters FFG?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Any of the Conquest havers, any initial thoughts on the need to buy multiple Cores? I know it's super early to suss it out, but I'm sure there have been cards that you have that are like, oh poo poo I NEED three of these.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

Any of the Conquest havers, any initial thoughts on the need to buy multiple Cores? I know it's super early to suss it out, but I'm sure there have been cards that you have that are like, oh poo poo I NEED three of these.

Seems to be the usual "only for competitive play". There's a shitload of content in the core but the one-ofs are definitely some of the uber cards (Ork attachment that gives ranged keyword springs to mind).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dominus Caedis posted:

Seconding this except that I am MAD AS HELL that 'Nids are not in the base game. Where are my unstoppable bug monsters FFG?

Probably getting their own big box expansion, since they can't use cards from any other factions.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I saw mention of the new LOTR Deluxe set earlier in the thread, but here are some pictures for the sake of completeness. I'm pretty excited about a box set with more Undead and Dunedain.

I'm missing a lot of the LOTR sets, but the theme on this one is enough for me to pick it up before some of the others I'm missing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I saw mention of the new LOTR Deluxe set earlier in the thread, but here are some pictures for the sake of completeness. I'm pretty excited about a box set with more Undead and Dunedain.

I'm missing a lot of the LOTR sets, but the theme on this one is enough for me to pick it up before some of the others I'm missing.

It looks so good. They really are killing it with LOTR.
My poor poor wallet.

Also I find it pretty funny that they basically announced two more Aragorn heroes. Probably a tactics one there and a Fellowship sphere one. We must have ALL THE ARAGORNS.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

My poor poor wallet.

Also I find it pretty funny that they basically announced two more Aragorn heroes. Probably a tactics one there and a Fellowship sphere one. We must have ALL THE ARAGORNS.

Don't forget all the extra attachments, too, so we can have Aragorn be EVERY SPHERE. Look forward to Solo Aragorn Quad-Sphere decks.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
While I'm thinking about LOTR at the moment, what are some good mono-sphere deck builds? I still only have a single core*, and it makes having multiple decks a bit hard if they involve 2-3 different spheres (like the Merry-Pippin-Sam Hobbit deck I currently use in solitaire).

*I don't play enough/with enough other people to justify getting a second core- I'm pretty casual with the game despite loving it

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

While I'm thinking about LOTR at the moment, what are some good mono-sphere deck builds? I still only have a single core*, and it makes having multiple decks a bit hard if they involve 2-3 different spheres (like the Merry-Pippin-Sam Hobbit deck I currently use in solitaire).

*I don't play enough/with enough other people to justify getting a second core- I'm pretty casual with the game despite loving it

Tales from the Cards has some good articles about mono-sphere decks over here. The various mono-sphere cards from the Against the Shadow Cycle are usually good choices, too.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

My poor poor wallet.

That tactics Aragorn is pretty dope too. -1 Defense to all enemies engaged with you and after he kills an enemy you can engage another one.

You are correct that there's a Fellowship Aragorn coming in Treason of Saruman, but I don't think anyone has figured out what his text is.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Tales from the Cards has some good articles about mono-sphere decks over here. The various mono-sphere cards from the Against the Shadow Cycle are usually good choices, too.

Hall of Beorn also has a ton of deck lists for various themes and strategies.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

I did, but it was photos and detailed description. I think you need Archives to see it now.

Alright, I hunted through your post history and couldn't find it. I went to LP section and saw a post that said some of the old LP threads randomly disappear off the server and it wasn't listed on the master list either, if you can dredge it up I'd like to check it out, but in the meanwhile tell me: if I wanted to pick up the game and get decks for all the factions, where and how should I do that. Also how many of the expansions would I likely want to pick up? Looking at the format it seems there's a lot of netural cards in the expansions that would crossover factions. Which ones are worth getting more of and in what quantity? I'm not looking for anything competitve just some stuff to have a balanced-ish deck for each faction that I can pull out and mess around with.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Dominus Caedis posted:

Yeah they are getting thrown together in a big ol' box with the necrons sometime next year™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Alright, I hunted through your post history and couldn't find it. I went to LP section and saw a post that said some of the old LP threads randomly disappear off the server and it wasn't listed on the master list either, if you can dredge it up I'd like to check it out, but in the meanwhile tell me: if I wanted to pick up the game and get decks for all the factions, where and how should I do that. Also how many of the expansions would I likely want to pick up? Looking at the format it seems there's a lot of netural cards in the expansions that would crossover factions. Which ones are worth getting more of and in what quantity? I'm not looking for anything competitve just some stuff to have a balanced-ish deck for each faction that I can pull out and mess around with.

You can get perfectly balanced decks for all six factions by purchasing one copy each of Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds. Any of the first three Shadowpacks are viable as expansions to this. I would definitely buy Reloaded, though, as it has at least one essential card for most factions. Again, for basic fun decks you need only one copy. The second wave of Shadowpacks is on the boat right now and I should have my copies soon.

If you really get into it and want to do some serious deckbuilding then buy two more copies of everything - while technically you can play five copies of a card in Shadowfist, a lot of cards are unique and there's duplicates of most of the key cards. There's also the Rebirth pack that contains a copy of 50 of the staple non-uniques.

There's a very limited amount of stock on Amazon; one of everything as I write. You are specifically looking for CiK, BFS, Reloaded, Reinforcements and Revelations, the whole of which will cost $72. If you miss that you can buy it from the official store, but it's more expensive there. You could also wait for the next Kickstarter, as there's always a level where you can buy the new packs plus the base game.