Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there any option on the HP site to download the drivers outside of an executable?

It's been a while since I've had to jump through those specific hoops, but I recall being able to download a zip file and bypass any exe garbage. Wouldn't surprise me if they switched to an all exe format though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Why can't you just log in as administrator to install the drivers?

Pretty much every mouse or keyboard works the same way. Some have special features that do need their own special drivers. Speakers or headphones don't require anything because the computer is already putting out the exact signal they need to work (thanks to the sound card or motherboard, which does require special drivers). Printers are complex machines that all operate differently and have different features.
While this is true, HP's printer drivers are notoriously ultra-bloated poo poo.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

While this is true, HP's printer drivers are notoriously ultra-bloated poo poo.

This is the loving truth - I checked out how big the driver bundle was for that particular printer - over 500MB.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

This is the loving truth - I checked out how big the driver bundle was for that particular printer - over 500MB.

Totally worth it. Don't you want the convenience of HP popping up windows to sell you overpriced ink refills when you get low?

There used to be "corporate" drivers available for most of their printers, including some home/small office inkjet models. They were just the basics without all of the bloat. You may want to look around on their site for something like that (wold say "corporate bundle" or "enterprise bundle" most likely).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I had a missed call from my own phone number when I woke up this morning. How is that possible?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Where can I find pictures of crowns? No matter what I type into google it's either naked satan, dentistry or some other horseshit I don't care about, I just want a good gallery of crowns
Why is this so hard

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Where can I find pictures of crowns? No matter what I type into google it's either naked satan, dentistry or some other horseshit I don't care about, I just want a good gallery of crowns
Why is this so hard

http://goo.gl/Me5TqI :confused:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mescal posted:

I had a missed call from my own phone number when I woke up this morning. How is that possible?

It's quite easy to set your outbound CID if you have the right type of phone system. While it's possibly illegal depending on where you are and definitely scummy, this has been a tactic I've seen call centers use.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Why is this so hard

Image search of just "Crown" gives me 100s of pictures of crowns?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is this so hard

Instead of typing "naked satan", "dentistry" or "horse poo poo", try typing "crown". :shrug:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Motronic posted:

It's quite easy to set your outbound CID if you have the right type of phone system. While it's possibly illegal depending on where you are and definitely scummy, this has been a tactic I've seen call centers use.

I just got another call from myself. When I answered it the phone looked like it kinda froze up for a second.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A friend had that happen to them recently; you're trying to call yourself from the future to warn yourself about something. The FCC really frowns upon that and it's not really a supported feature (For most carriers anyway) so it glitches out a lot of phones.

I wouldn't worry about it, but you might want to make sure your insurance is up to date.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChairMaster posted:

Also as a separate question: Why the gently caress do printers gotta be so complicated to install and have their own drivers and poo poo? Ain't nobody needs to install a bunch of bullshit whenever they plug a mouse or keyboard or headphones into their computer but with printers you gotta go through a bunch of garbage, whats up with that?

A mouse or keyboard is so simple that they've barely changed from what they did 20 years ago when they were handled with much simpler interfaces. Regular jack headphones are of course just literally two wires to dump sound on, and USB headphones are very basic and roughly standardized mini sound card of one of few types on the port.

A printer on the other hand could have tons of different capabilities, paper types, and so on, and you have to handle pretty large amounts of data formatted the right way for them. Modern operating systems come with thousands of printer drivers pre-installed but theat still doesn't cover all the printers you might find.

Anyway these days even though the software support guides might seem otherwise, most of the huge rear end drivers purportedly for a specific printer from major manufacturers are actually the same package of drivers for dozens or hundreds of printers at once with the installer window title changed. It's a real dick move, but it is a big reason that it'll be 500 mb or whatever.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Printer driver protip:

Plug in the printer via USB and then add the printer manually via control panel>printers>add. Pick local device and there will be a USB port option. Then select a printer close to the type you have like HP officejet 7500 if you have an HP OJ 8500.

I can't guarantee it will work with all printers/models because who knows what they do now in the background but I have done that for every printer I have installed for like ever.

You also won't get the advanced stuff that comes with the proper driver like photo quality, borderless printing, etc but it has always worked for me.

If you really want the driver(only) you can run the executable and then cancel out of the installation once it starts. There should be a folder in your temp directory that contains the expanded install data. Do the same above and instead of picking a printer from the list click on the have disk and go to that directory and there should be an .inf file (hopefully named something reasonable like epson[modelname].inf). Again, it may not work but I have done it in the past with quite a few printers.

YMMV but it's worth it in my opinion because even if you unselect the nonsense the base install is insane with most drivers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to take pictures of my girlfriend's cat with something a little nicer then my camera phone. What's a good recommendation?

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Why is this so hard

Try these tips and tricks to exclude things from searches on Google.

http://www.google.com/insidesearch/tipstricks/all.html

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
there was a goon who had a thread in ask/tell ages ago about how to deal with collection agencies/his own history with collectors that was really good, but I lost the link and I'm just wondering if anyone here still has it

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I want to take pictures of my girlfriend's cat with something a little nicer then my camera phone. What's a good recommendation?

Buy an entry range Canon slr like the 600d second hand on ebay or in a kit form. Being able to fit zoom lenses as well as wide angle lenses will allow u to take pictures up close as well as from a distance.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Halman posted:

there was a goon who had a thread in ask/tell ages ago about how to deal with collection agencies/his own history with collectors that was really good, but I lost the link and I'm just wondering if anyone here still has it

It's in BFC now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My wife has a cd with ~400 recipes stored as microsoft word files. I'd like to have them converted to .yml files so they can be imported to Paprika's iOS app. This looks like a tedious task and if it can be automated I have no idea where to even start. I would be happy to pay somebody money to do this. Is there some kind of bulletin board where I can solicit offers?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

My wife has a cd with ~400 recipes stored as microsoft word files. I'd like to have them converted to .yml files so they can be imported to Paprika's iOS app. This looks like a tedious task and if it can be automated I have no idea where to even start. I would be happy to pay somebody money to do this. Is there some kind of bulletin board where I can solicit offers?

Yeah that sounds like exactly the kind of task fiverr is for.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Turtlicious posted:

how much money are you willing to spend for cat photos

also, you should be able to take fairly decent quality photos with a camera phone these days, especially if you have something new like an iPhone 5 or a galaxy S. The important thing is to make sure you have good lighting. Do it outside with a lot of natural light, or during a sunny day inside. Make sure the light is facing the cat. And turn off the flash.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

These computers aren't set up like an office computer or anything, because the store I work at doesn't trust all the managers who work at them to not dick around playing games or looking at facebook (as they shouldn't because that would totally happen).
This is a systemic problem. Tell the store the printer is hosed up, then leave it broken until it gets fixed. They will not fix it as long as you continue to do temporary fixes to keep it running. Corollary: if you are trying to add a new printer via some workaround hack and you manage to gently caress something up, they will fire you in a hot minute, preceded only by asking you "well why didn't you just call IT first?" even though you have documentation you called 23 times and they never called you back.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of printers/printing, is there a reason that (seemingly,) printing pictures/photos took a step backward in Windows 7 (maybe Vista? never used that enough to know.)

No matter what program I've tried to print pictures from, it always brings up the standard MS print pictures dialogue, with only a bunch of pre-defined options that all suck.

For instance, a few months ago, I wanted to print out several copies of an image I had. But because of how MS's "Print Pictures" works, I couldn't do multiple copies of the picture on one piece of paper and have them stay the actual size of the image. In fact, there was no way at all to get it the actual size...it would auto-scale it to fit it's predefined options.

I don't remember the exact size of my image, but let's say it was 2" x 3". My choices were to either stretch it to Wallet size (which is 2.5" x 3.5", so not far off, but if I want exact, it still won't do.) Or to shrink it down to the "Contact Sheet", which is 2" x 2", so now it's the wrong size AND messes with the proportions.

And to top it off, the print dialogue doesn't tell you the size of wallet prints or the contact sheet...I had to go look them up.

Is there some 3rd patty tool I can install that will let me just do the basic task of printing a picture at its actual size, or am I forced to do something absurd like convert it to a PDF first?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of printers/printing, is there a reason that (seemingly,) printing pictures/photos took a step backward in Windows 7 (maybe Vista? never used that enough to know.)

No matter what program I've tried to print pictures from, it always brings up the standard MS print pictures dialogue, with only a bunch of pre-defined options that all suck.

For instance, a few months ago, I wanted to print out several copies of an image I had. But because of how MS's "Print Pictures" works, I couldn't do multiple copies of the picture on one piece of paper and have them stay the actual size of the image. In fact, there was no way at all to get it the actual size...it would auto-scale it to fit it's predefined options.

I don't remember the exact size of my image, but let's say it was 2" x 3". My choices were to either stretch it to Wallet size (which is 2.5" x 3.5", so not far off, but if I want exact, it still won't do.) Or to shrink it down to the "Contact Sheet", which is 2" x 2", so now it's the wrong size AND messes with the proportions.

And to top it off, the print dialogue doesn't tell you the size of wallet prints or the contact sheet...I had to go look them up.

Is there some 3rd patty tool I can install that will let me just do the basic task of printing a picture at its actual size, or am I forced to do something absurd like convert it to a PDF first?
All that poo poo, dialogs and all, is provided by either the printer driver or the program you're printing from, so the only more or less meaningful comparison between Windows versions would be between the generic Microsoft drivers for the same printer, printing from the same version of the same program. If you're currently using a driver provided by Windows Update, maybe try the shitware from the manufacturer. Otherwise blame the manufacturer.

In any case, saying that printing took a step back in Windows 7 is misplacing the blame.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Turtlicious posted:

If this is just a one day glamour shots photo shoot with the cat, most camera shops offer rentals. Much cheaper than buying an slr and lenses.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I generally import the picture(s) I want into a Word document, and then print from there. It takes a few extra setup steps, but at least this way you can directly control the size and position of the pictures.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Tiggum posted:

Instead of typing "naked satan", "dentistry" or "horse poo poo", try typing "crown". :shrug:

i do (the naked satan was from the "dragons crown" video game) and it procures pictures of symbolic crowns, cartoonish crown and maybe two normal ones
what I need is a crown catalog segregated by country or whatever

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

what I need is a crown catalog segregated by country or whatever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_%28headgear%29 has a pretty decent gallery, though it's obviously not complete.

e: vvvvv Better link below.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
this one has some more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_royal_crowns

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a way to check if a photograph has a copyright?

This one in particular

What are the rules if I wanna use it on my website?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fuf posted:

This one in particular

It's a bit of a long shot but check the EXIF data and send the owner an email if possible and you're conscientious about that stuff.

You can also find license info easily on flickr in the info for each photo. And there are Creative Commons catalogs that exist. Google is your friend.

Personally, I'd give attribution and move on. That way the author can find out that you've used it and if it becomes a problem you can offer to pay or whatever. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Any Cellular company workers in this thread?

My Mother in Law lives with us and is on our cellular plan. I am the account owner and only authorized user.

Apparently some time last month she was out with other members of her family, stopped into a cell shop and was sold an upgrade / 'replacement' phone to the tune of $400+.

This phone is added to my bill this month on an installment plan. What sort of raucous can I kick up with T-mobile over adding a $400 device to my bill without my presence or authorization?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

fuf posted:

This one in particular

Paris Match consider it to be an orphan work, as evidenced by their use of "© Droits Réservés" instead "© <author name>". None of the other websites attribute it either.

If fair use applies, you can use it, otherwise you're not supposed to. But you could probably still put it on your website, and just take it down if anyone ever requested it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How can I figure out if my wife can watch Lost on her tablet while at a hotel in Canada? We have Netflix, Amazon on Demand, and Hulu Plus.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the posted:

How can I figure out if my wife can watch Lost on her tablet while at a hotel in Canada? We have Netflix, Amazon on Demand, and Hulu Plus.

https://www.canistream.it

Lost is available on Hulu Plus only, but I'm not sure how it will jive with a Canadian IP

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hulu doesn't work in Canada, as far as I know.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FCKGW posted:

https://www.canistream.it

Lost is available on Hulu Plus only, but I'm not sure how it will jive with a Canadian IP

I know for a fact it's on Netflix so.... ???

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Netflix bases its selection on your IP. So if it's not showing up in Canada, then it's not available on Canadian Netflix. You can try to get some sort of VPN setup on the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lost is on Canadian Netflix, I just pulled it up.