Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Yeah, I have a theory. With cryx, I'm always coming up with ideas for plays that on paper would be devastating, but in reality get shut down, because you're playing against someone else who throws some kind of spanner in the works. I've long said that the reason pigs are so bad is that they don't really have any spanners, I just get to make the silly plays.

The problem trolls have is that their spanner is 'not dying easily', but that doesn't actually stop you making the plays, just alters the success of them, and that can be fairly easily mitigated by focusing more resources into individual plays. Normal armies try and beat you by overcoming you, but cryx (and legion and circle I'd say) try to win by circumventing you. The thing that cryx best circumvent is armor, which is unfortunately the way trolls try to overcome you. (Wholly willing to accept that this is total bollocks btw)..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Reading all this cryx hate makes me really drat glad that my first army is Cygnar. I love having answers to the questions Cryx want to be smug about. Stealth? Yeah, ATGM exist. Incorporeal? ATGM. Banes? ATGM, and Stormwall covering fire for good measure. Casters? Apply ROF infinite Spellstorm pistols to affected area. :smug:

When I get more table time with my Circle, I'll probably start having real problems with them and I'll miss ATGMs too much.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
eGrim Was'nt too bad for terminus honestly. I was able to shoot anything not stealth from 17 inches with snipe on, took down Slaugterborn like turn 1 or 2 and the courtesan when she was trying to hide behind him. With Morality if i hit a unit with it they can;t tough since tough allows you to heal 1 point on a roll and Mortality does'nt let you, so no toughing for at least one unit. As said I could'nt land it in that game, nor the next three attempts after that in the game I played after. To land it usually I have the pyg with the snare gun shoot one thing so even Grim's Fury 6 has an easy enough time ( in theory) shooting with 6 on a def 5 model not that ever seems to work. Might have just been this guy's particular play style with the tons of infantry, he stated he won't ever take it to an event hes death clocked himself just moving units since even when doing it quickly its a ton of time.

Maybe Calandra is the better choice for that list, Star Crossed seems like it'd do tons of work and maybe Scatter Gunners if I get to aim them. That or I was gonna take a pBorka list with double warders, stone max champs with skaldi and try to just absorb the hard charge/jam and try to dish it out right after. Least if he murders everything in one turn he'll only about 10-15 well earned souls. :negative:

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I think slingers might be a really baller unit with Xerxis2. Double max slingers, 12 points for 20 shots, get it done!

Xerxis2 is what Xerxis should be, all about smashing things off the table! slingers would be especially good where they are weapon masters against constructs and under his feat turn, though I think 10 is probably enough. Any Jack or Wold is going to have a bad day. Hell, just being able to bond a gladiator to him is good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ElephantCrave posted:

Xerxis2 is what Xerxis should be, all about smashing things off the table! slingers would be especially good where they are weapon masters against constructs and under his feat turn, though I think 10 is probably enough. Any Jack or Wold is going to have a bad day. Hell, just being able to bond a gladiator to him is good.

They're very cheap bodies and could be used to jam up lists if their shooting wouldn't accomplish much(there's a reason most 4/6 units aren't shooters).

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
I havent played on almost a year but I'll be at the iron arena this afternoon, I'm wearing a blue inspector spacetime shirt. Come laugh at how terrible I am with toy mans.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Can some experienced Cryx players give me some pointers on this Steamroller pairing?

The intent here is that Goreshade and Lich have different strengths and weaknesses - Gaspy doesn't really care about a lot of anti-Cryx tech, since he doesn't debuff nor does he absolutely need to cast spells near the enemy. If they don't have anti-spell tech, then Goreshade gets a smile on his face. Likewise, the Gaspy list is built as ultra-high 1-wound model count skew, while Goreshade doesn't have as much of a weakness to Covering Fire or Chain Lightning. (I realize the Biles/McThralls should be Blackbanes in Goreshade , I just don't own them).

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Goreshade, Lord of Ruin (*5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Kraken (19pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bane Riders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (11pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Darragh Wrathe (4pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

Asphyxious the Hellbringer (*4pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Vociferon
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Satyxis Blood Witches (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
* Satyxis Blood Hag (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)

Thanks!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

LewdMonocle posted:

I havent played on almost a year but I'll be at the iron arena this afternoon, I'm wearing a blue inspector spacetime shirt. Come laugh at how terrible I am with toy mans.

I'm heading there too and still pretty new. Wearing a transformers shirt playing trolls.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The more I think about him the more excited I get to try out X2. Even putting aside the more stupid things that people want to do on the PP forums, there are so many interesting possibilities with him with his spell list and feat.

The first 2 lists I threw together to try:

X2
- Mammoth
- Krea
- Gladiator(bonded)
Willbreaker
Willbreaker
Max Incindiarii
Max Nihilators
Min beasthandlers

X2
- Molik Karn
- Tiberion
- Gladiator(bonded)
- Krea
Willbreaker
Willbreaker
Max Incindiarii
Max Beast handlers
Min Nihilators

I'm really not sure how well the 2x willbreaker thing will work, but it could be good so I'm going to give it a try! Obviously both lists are pretty similar, just with different beast loadouts for hte most part. Krea is a must have for him. Gladiator may not be completely necessary, but I like it to give Molik 13" charges and Tibs/Mammoth 11" charges. Incindiarii are always good, and are going to be bonkers under feat. Nihilators are mainly there to screen, and provide some hitting power with ignite maybe.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

eDoomie seems like he'd be legit against Terminus.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Khisanth Magus posted:

X2
- Molik Karn
- Tiberion
- Gladiator(bonded)
- Krea
Willbreaker
Willbreaker
Max Incindiarii
Max Beast handlers
Min Nihilators

I'm really not sure how well the 2x willbreaker thing will work, but it could be good so I'm going to give it a try! Obviously both lists are pretty similar, just with different beast loadouts for hte most part. Krea is a must have for him. Gladiator may not be completely necessary, but I like it to give Molik 13" charges and Tibs/Mammoth 11" charges. Incindiarii are always good, and are going to be bonkers under feat. Nihilators are mainly there to screen, and provide some hitting power with ignite maybe.

I thought of something like this the other night, though I only take one willbreaker and Min Beast Handlers and bring the Nihilators up to max. The one Willbreaker will just trail behind Molik Karn as Tibbs and Xerxes will be pretty close and I usually keep my Gladiator back for that late game punch, also so I don't lose Rush. I really like having a full unit of Nihilators as that screen is just so important to make sure I can deliever those beasts exactly when I want, and I expect to lose about half the unit on the charge up the board so having a full unit just ensures they can still function somewhat. It feels weird to think that the Gladiator may not actually be necessary as that just feels like heresy in Skorne. I may drop him for an Archidon as Sprint on Xerxes seems like Comedy gold. Like, I really want to try the Archidon combo with him more than anything right now, short of repairing him with the Goblin Tinker.

Man, he is going to be a fun caster to play.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm thinking of trying this list out for my Bradigus

Bradigus Thorle the Runecarver - WB: +6
- Woldwarden - PC: 9
- Wold Guardian - PC: 9
- Woldwatcher - PC: 5
Sentry Stone & Mannikins - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2
Druids of Orboros - Leader & 5 Grunts: 7
- Druid of Orboros Overseer: 2

I'm putting out rough terrain and forest templates like a boss, with the Druids offering cover from attacks so the Wolds can make it up the field.

The manikins are there to give Bradigus forest templates and to drain fury off of enemy beasts.

The guardian is there to smash heavies or seriously hurt a colossal/gargantuan, or potentially get me some sweet assassinations.

I'll be pairing this with my eMorvhanna list with lots of dudes.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Bradigus Thorle the Runecarver - WB: +6
- Wold Guardian - PC: 9
Sentry Stone & Mannikins - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2
Druids of Orboros - Leader & 5 Grunts: 7
- Druid of Orboros Overseer: 2

I'm putting out rough terrain and forest templates like a boss, with the Druids offering cover from attacks so the Wolds can make it up the field.

The manikins are there to give Bradigus forest templates and to drain fury off of enemy beasts.

The guardian is there to smash heavies or seriously hurt a colossal/gargantuan, or potentially get me some sweet assassinations.

My suggestion would be to take out the sentry stone for a second unit of shifting stones + UA for maximum movement shenanigans. Double teleport + feat means wolds be anywhere you need them to be.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crazy Ferret posted:

I thought of something like this the other night, though I only take one willbreaker and Min Beast Handlers and bring the Nihilators up to max. The one Willbreaker will just trail behind Molik Karn as Tibbs and Xerxes will be pretty close and I usually keep my Gladiator back for that late game punch, also so I don't lose Rush. I really like having a full unit of Nihilators as that screen is just so important to make sure I can deliever those beasts exactly when I want, and I expect to lose about half the unit on the charge up the board so having a full unit just ensures they can still function somewhat. It feels weird to think that the Gladiator may not actually be necessary as that just feels like heresy in Skorne. I may drop him for an Archidon as Sprint on Xerxes seems like Comedy gold. Like, I really want to try the Archidon combo with him more than anything right now, short of repairing him with the Goblin Tinker.

Man, he is going to be a fun caster to play.

I personally feel that everyone who wants to do the archidon combo is going to get bit in the butt one day with it. Upkeep ignite, cast mobility, 2 fury left. Charge something. Have a serious cold streak on dice and end up with your balls hanging out and no fury up in front of the enemy army.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Honest question...

Why no megalith?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I think an Archidon is required for X2, the way he's designed I feel he needs to be able to get personally involved fairly early on on and Sprint lets him do that. Also remember that a TyCom (if TyCom works on him, will need to see the ruling) gives him an 11" Sprint move (and also let's him advance 11" for Auto-Pitch), he potentially Yo-Yo's farther than Molik Karn does. We also don't know what the Keltarii, Beast Pack, or our presumptive new heavy do yet, which could have a large impact on his game plan. If the new beast has Spiny Growth, which would be thematic given it looks like a large bug, then suddenly things get a little crazy. Spiny Growth Xerxis under Krea is at that point functionally immune to guns and can pretty safely accept charges from most single-wound infantry, allowing him to be a lot more aggressive. I like a larger battlegroup with him, I feel like he loves combined arms so throwing a Raider and a Cannoneer in there is pretty cool. Diminish is also brutal on him in certain matchups. Like I said yesterday the Mammoth on him is also super terrifying. It's quite similar to Ossrum's Earthbreaker, Eyeless Sight and Magic Weapon ignore a fair bit of defensive tech and 20"-23" threat is loving serious with 3 boosted S&P Pow 14's plus an Aux attack. Here's two lists I'm thinking about :

Xerxis, Fury of Halaak (*5pts)
* Basilisk Drake (4pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Archidon (7pts)
* Tiberion (11pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Cataphract Incindiarii (Leader and 5 Grunts) (9pts)
Nihilators (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)

This one is just all business. 3 Heavies+Xerxis means there are very few lists that can piece trade with you (and the Basilisk Pair with cycled ignite can get some work done themselves) especially considering you are all but guaranteed the alpha. Nihilators and Incindiarii just do what they do without the need for any support, but either will happily take Ignite before a charge and they both explode on the feat turn. Idea here is you just kill all of their poo poo. It cracks armor, doesn't care much about defense (Xerxis himself solves pretty much all High Def jam and then he just Sprints away), your heavies are considerably faster than their heavies, and there's enough defensive tech that any assassination against Xerxis is gonna be pretty long odds. The Archidon in this list is strait up terrifying, it goes 14.5" with Flight and has 4 dice to fish for Crits with, with zero control area limitations.

Xerxis, Fury of Halaak (*5pts))
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Cyclops Raider (5pts)
* Cyclops Shaman (5pts)
* Mammoth (20pts)
Venators Reivers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Venators Reiver Officer & Standard (2pts)
Extoler Soulward (2pts)
Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)

This one I really like, although it's got a bit of jank in it. You bond the Raider and can hand out 5 Snipes, which means you can do a re-rollable S&P RAT 11 POW 15 (16/17 vs Med/Large) 26" threat 5 man Reiver CRA, or a 3-man and a 2-man. You probably don't do the full Snipe jank on feat turn since you want to be handing out Snipe to the Mammoth that turn, but you could! Other than that the list is just really scary, Mammoth kills the entire world and when they finally come in to kill it, Xerxis just cleans up whatever did the job. There's not really anywhere to hide, the Shaman has a 22" threat fully boosted Pow 12 Eyeless Sight Ghost Shot Magic gun which makes Gorman and Eyriss literally poo poo their pants and scares the gently caress out of Juniors. I think what really lets this work is that Xerxis can be expected to kill whatever kills the Mammoth, which means that you aren't completely SOL when it inevitably dies. The problem that Mordikaar and Makeda1 have with their Mammoth is that they don't personally anchor that hard, so after their Mammoth dies (although their Mammoth is harder to kill) they can have a hard time. Xerxis2 doesn't have that problem.

Xerxis2 really exemplifies Skorne's strengths and he's super fun because of it. Going in to almost any matchup, you can expect to be able to hit harder and faster than your opponent, and the threat ranges and dice fixing he brings mean you can go after your opponents softest bits. His whole strategy is "hit them so hard that they can't hit back, then keep doing it". It's awesome.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I personally feel that everyone who wants to do the archidon combo is going to get bit in the butt one day with it. Upkeep ignite, cast mobility, 2 fury left. Charge something. Have a serious cold streak on dice and end up with your balls hanging out and no fury up in front of the enemy army.

Oh it's almost guaranteed to happen. However I still think it's really strong. The Archidon itself is super good with him (as an aside, I think Bonegrinders may be a good investment for him, he likes to send beasts off to die and would like to keep their animi). Also keep in mind he is Spd 7 with Reach, which means that he often doesn't NEED mobility, especially if he's anchoring. A 10" (12" if you don't need the impact attack) charge with a 7" sprint is plenty, especially if you are killing a heavy that came into your army, not going out after something of theirs.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 15, 2014

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Khisanth Magus posted:

This is a fair point to make and I think AttackBacon, as always, make good points as well. While on Feat Turn, you can gamble pretty well with Xerxes pretty much killing whatever he comes into contact with for the Sprint trigger. Before that feat turn though, I do like having access to Sprint for Molik Karn. Casting Fate Walker takes enough fury that I feel it takes quite a bit away from the Karn, though lord knows he is still murderous, so having Sprint cast on him is pretty handy. It also makes him immune to Free Strikes which is a definite win. Even using it on Tiberon lets you move up a reasonable distance, smash something with his Reach hammer and retreat back to provide that much needed Shield Guard. I do think you have a point on using it on Xerxes though, especially if its not feat turn.

If you were to drop the Gladiator, what would you pick up Khisanth?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Honest question...

Why no megalith?

Megalith with 2 woldwardens skipping arm-in-arm would be pretty vicious. Templates everywhere!

Dumb question, but how does a beast use it's animus? If a beast has a 2 FURY animus and uses it does it cost him three fury (1 to force, 2 to use it) or 1 (1 to force, automatically uses it)?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I believe you just add however many Fury the animus costs to the beast's stack, but I'm not positive.

I do know, though, that Animi only count as spells when cast by your Warlock. If a beast casts its animus it does not count as a spell.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hoboskins posted:

is PP going to do a livestream or press release at Gencon? Would love to hear more about the next IKRPG book set in the wilds

I'm at their IKRPG seminar now taking notes. I'll post in an hour if no one else does.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crazy Ferret posted:

This is a fair point to make and I think AttackBacon, as always, make good points as well. While on Feat Turn, you can gamble pretty well with Xerxes pretty much killing whatever he comes into contact with for the Sprint trigger. Before that feat turn though, I do like having access to Sprint for Molik Karn. Casting Fate Walker takes enough fury that I feel it takes quite a bit away from the Karn, though lord knows he is still murderous, so having Sprint cast on him is pretty handy. It also makes him immune to Free Strikes which is a definite win. Even using it on Tiberon lets you move up a reasonable distance, smash something with his Reach hammer and retreat back to provide that much needed Shield Guard. I do think you have a point on using it on Xerxes though, especially if its not feat turn.

If you were to drop the Gladiator, what would you pick up Khisanth?

Sprint doesn't work on Tibs(he cannot move outside of his normal movement).

My mammoth list if I took the gladiator was out would be drop the 2nd willbreaker, take a raider(love him with the mammoth and incindiarii, would be the bond), extoller, and tycom.

My Molik list I'd probably replace it with an archidon and drop the 2nd willbreaker to make room for maxing out the nihilators. However, I'd primarily use the archidon's animus on molik karn rather than xerxis.

EDIT:

LordAba posted:

Megalith with 2 woldwardens skipping arm-in-arm would be pretty vicious. Templates everywhere!

Dumb question, but how does a beast use it's animus? If a beast has a 2 FURY animus and uses it does it cost him three fury (1 to force, 2 to use it) or 1 (1 to force, automatically uses it)?

A beast and warlock pay the same cost for an animus. If a beast has a COST 2 animus it would gain 2 fury to cast it, while a warlock would pay 2 fury.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 15, 2014

Evilmonstar
Nov 18, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

Can some experienced Cryx players give me some pointers on this Steamroller pairing?

The intent here is that Goreshade and Lich have different strengths and weaknesses - Gaspy doesn't really care about a lot of anti-Cryx tech, since he doesn't debuff nor does he absolutely need to cast spells near the enemy. If they don't have anti-spell tech, then Goreshade gets a smile on his face. Likewise, the Gaspy list is built as ultra-high 1-wound model count skew, while Goreshade doesn't have as much of a weakness to Covering Fire or Chain Lightning. (I realize the Biles/McThralls should be Blackbanes in Goreshade , I just don't own them).

Goreshade, Lord of Ruin (*5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Kraken (19pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls (2pts)
Darragh Wrathe (4pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

Asphyxious the Hellbringer (*4pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Vociferon
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Satyxis Blood Witches (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
* Satyxis Blood Hag (2pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)

Thanks!

I've been playing quite a bit of Goreshade3 recently, and while your list looks fairly solid overall, his assassination threat is so strong that I always like to be able to pull it out of my back pocket at any time. For that reason, having a few incorporeal models on the board can be super clutch to be able to run through the opponents front line for the feat. Adding some blackbanes is one super solid option, as they are super fast, and light poo poo on fire which is never a bad thing. Soulhunters with Darragh Wrathe also work for this purpose, plus they become pretty loving scary on their own with Scything Touch.

If you are married to the units you have already and don't want to cut any of them for blackbanes or soulhunters, you could always cut a necrotech and add a machine thrall. That puts all the incorporeal eggs in one basket though.

Also, typically, I don't like to start with a full unit of McThralls either because I almost always kill 3 of my own thralls on turn 1 with for the corpse tokens, mockery all 3 back to life, and then spend those 3 tokens for 3 more when I activate the necrosurgeon. Of course with your list, you might not want to do that, as you might prefer to spend your focus to put out your upkeeps on turn 1 instead (especially with that kraken in the list).

I don't have much to say about the Gaspy3 list. It looks solid and covers a good amount of bases. I have a rough understanding of how Gaspy3 plays, but I don't own him myself.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

AttackBacon posted:

Xerxis, Fury of Halaak (*5pts)
* Basilisk Drake (4pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Archidon (7pts)
* Tiberion (11pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Cataphract Incindiarii (Leader and 5 Grunts) (9pts)
Agonizer (2pts)

Of the two lists I like this the most, I am really looking hard at the Rhinodon for X2. The increased threat range makes him a trampling machine not to mention thresher under feat. Don't forget the drake sprays under feat it will kill all the things. He really likes most of our beasts for different reasons so its hard to pin down a 1 true build (not a bad problem to have).

Oh and for those interested X2 is not a warrior model. I was fairly certain that was the case, but just to be sure I checked the rules forum. BOOM Infernal Ruling http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?191645-Reznik2-Battle-Engine-or-Warrior-Model&p=2517002&viewfull=1#post2517002

So no TyCom.

As a funny aside there are at least 3 threads about diffferen aspects of Jaga jagas feat. Most of them seeing how much BS they can leverage from taking over peoples models. poo poo like Eyriss shutting down peoples jacks when they take her over and move her towards them. Or how the feat interacts with the Knight Exemplar Seneschal (drat that model is confusing)

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 15, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

IKRPG seminar highlights:

-"Something is in the works" related to the old IKRPG model line.
-Unleashed has ~8 races and ~30 careers. Some overlap with Full Metal Fantasy.
-Warlocks are sort of intentionally more powerful than anyone else.
-The book is pretty lighthearted, since it's super violent and anything else would be too horrible.
-Amazing art. AMAZING.
-Emphasis on survival. Rules for freezing to death, starving to death, etc.
-Bone grinding as an analog to mekanika. You have to get the bits yourself.

A lot of what was said doesn't translate very well to bullet points. I can answer questions if you have them. Long story short I'm incredibly excited.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

:ughh:

Seriously?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

:ughh:

Seriously?

Yes, and the reason given was that they don't care about trying to maintain some perfect nebulous balance between all the classes. It's an RPG, not a tabletop competitive war game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fyrbrand posted:

Yes, and the reason given was that they don't care about trying to maintain some perfect nebulous balance between all the classes. It's an RPG, not a tabletop competitive war game.

Bad excuse for bad design.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah, because that's a good reason for having strictly better options at character creation. That's stupid as hell.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

S.J. posted:

eDoomie seems like he'd be legit against Terminus.

He doesn't give up many souls to the feat which is nice, but you're still throwing a beast brick at two tough units of banes and hoping your opponent rolls poorly enough for you not to lose all your muscle on Termies response.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

S.J. posted:

Yeah, because that's a good reason for having strictly better options at character creation. That's stupid as hell.

There could be downsides? I think of Druids in Pathfinder, yeah they do a lot of what a low-level beatstick can do and they have a pet, but if that pet dies, they lose a level as a consequence.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Calico Noose posted:

He doesn't give up many souls to the feat which is nice, but you're still throwing a beast brick at two tough units of banes and hoping your opponent rolls poorly enough for you not to lose all your muscle on Termies response.

If there is one thing I have learned from playing that game and trolls is Tough is neat but it'll almost never save you. I killed about 25 infantry out of his list and he made not a single tough roll, and neither did I. I did have a question though. While he was moving the unit with the blood hag as he was moving it one moved and triggered the terror effect from Terminus and he rolled 12. Next thing I know the Hag popped the no tough thing but if I am not wrong if the unit fails a morale check it has to stop and flee giving up its action is that right?

Should I play that list again I'm taking probably eDoom or pGrim, just for grim's feat and true sight 17" shot to the face to kills pistol wraiths and gorman. :golgo: Plus if I can actually shoot and hurt Terminus with Lock the Target things will get real fun.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
Frankly I'm really really pissed that Sulecrist copy-pasted the entire presentation, as there's obviously nothing missing from the statement that "Warlocks are sort of intentionally more powerful than anyone else."

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Frankly I'm really really pissed that Sulecrist copy-pasted the entire presentation, as there's obviously nothing missing from the statement that "Warlocks are sort of intentionally more powerful than anyone else."

Casters being OP as hell and roleplaying games being worse because of it is a super common issue.

So people jumping on it isn't unreasonable, because the thing they are jumping on is the status quo.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Sulecrist posted:

IKRPG seminar highlights:

-"Something is in the works" related to the old IKRPG model line.
-Unleashed has ~8 races and ~30 careers. Some overlap with Full Metal Fantasy.
-The book is pretty lighthearted, since it's super violent and anything else would be too horrible.
-Amazing art. AMAZING.
-Emphasis on survival. Rules for freezing to death, starving to death, etc.
-Bone grinding as an analog to mekanika. You have to get the bits yourself.

A lot of what was said doesn't translate very well to bullet points. I can answer questions if you have them. Long story short I'm incredibly excited.

I like the survival elements but I'm wondering if it's going to be a mechanic that most gms ignore. Also, are the new careers/races presented cross-compatible? Is it thirty new careers or is it a few new ones and a bunch of hordes versions of what was already in the warmachine rpg?

As long as I can have my very own Lug, I might overlook any other shortcomings.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The idea of an inherent, acknowledged and totally intentional power discrepancy does come across as a really strange and bad design decision. Especially coming from a gaming company that seems to understand the importance of balance and careful design in things; After all one of the big selling points you can use for Warmahordes is that even though it's got the dice combat that generally comes with the territory of wargames they managed to make a solid ruleset and did a great job of making all the factions work more or less in harmony. I've been interested in IKRPG for a while and have been tempted to grab the core book several times, but if they're just going to straight up D&D 3.5/Pathfinder the rule set then that idea's out the window. Obviously though at this point it's a matter of waiting and seeing what the for-sure reality is, so here's hoping that bullet point is out of context.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Cyclomatic posted:

Casters being OP as hell and roleplaying games being worse because of it is a super common issue.

So people jumping on it isn't unreasonable, because the thing they are jumping on is the status quo.

drat near everything in IKRPG is a caster of some sort. Heck, anyone (with some rules) can be a caster. Being required to take the Gifted archetype really limits your choices and your durability.

People jumping on it is funny because IKRPG character design doesn't work like DnD where a caster can solve everything, so warlocks being "intentionally more powerful" is either a meaningless statement or an obvious one, because warlocks can control warbeasts and can use the fury mechanic. Oh no!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Evilmonstar posted:

I've been playing quite a bit of Goreshade3 recently, and while your list looks fairly solid overall, his assassination threat is so strong that I always like to be able to pull it out of my back pocket at any time. For that reason, having a few incorporeal models on the board can be super clutch to be able to run through the opponents front line for the feat. Adding some blackbanes is one super solid option, as they are super fast, and light poo poo on fire which is never a bad thing. Soulhunters with Darragh Wrathe also work for this purpose, plus they become pretty loving scary on their own with Scything Touch.

If you are married to the units you have already and don't want to cut any of them for blackbanes or soulhunters, you could always cut a necrotech and add a machine thrall. That puts all the incorporeal eggs in one basket though.

Also, typically, I don't like to start with a full unit of McThralls either because I almost always kill 3 of my own thralls on turn 1 with for the corpse tokens, mockery all 3 back to life, and then spend those 3 tokens for 3 more when I activate the necrosurgeon. Of course with your list, you might not want to do that, as you might prefer to spend your focus to put out your upkeeps on turn 1 instead (especially with that kraken in the list).

I don't have much to say about the Gaspy3 list. It looks solid and covers a good amount of bases. I have a rough understanding of how Gaspy3 plays, but I don't own him myself.

Thanks for the advice! Its definitely not that I'm married to these units, its just that I have to draw a line somewhere at how many models I own (especially unpainted)! Cryx are my "secondary" army behind Circle for the moment. I don't have a Machine Wraith but I could throw in some pistol wraiths or Aiakos (who isn't incorporeal, but Jump provides similar utility in getting to a caster.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

It is almost a verbatim quote.

Edit: from the lead designer

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 16, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

drat near everything in IKRPG is a caster of some sort. Heck, anyone (with some rules) can be a caster. Being required to take the Gifted archetype really limits your choices and your durability.

No it really doesn't.

quote:

People jumping on it is funny because IKRPG character design doesn't work like DnD where a caster can solve everything, so warlocks being "intentionally more powerful" is either a meaningless statement or an obvious one, because warlocks can control warbeasts and can use the fury mechanic. Oh no!

You're right, but in this new game that has yet to come out that is separate from the IKRPG we're already playing, Warlocks being more powerful than everyone else could mean that they are, in fact, better than everyone else. And that's not okay in an RPG where different choices are all supposed to be valid. As much as I love the IKRPG as it stands there's already lots of options that are worse than other options and I'd like that not to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In other news, WM:T!

• Locked thread