Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have never even loving heard of socialcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And honestly what are they going to do if you don't?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They'll post about it on socialcast.

Whatever that is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I googled it, it looks like the stupidest poo poo. Imagine if you had a twitter for everybody in your company, and everybody had to follow it, and the CIO could ask for the status of a project on your stupid internal twitter.

According to their site, 79% of companies use Enterprise Social Networks, there's a potential for a 25% productivity increase, and 90% of executives see value in it, so of course it's totally worthless.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Use it and post nothing but links to buzzfeed quizzes.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Doing some digging in a quiet moment today and I think I've discovered why our FEA software has such a hard time downloading results packages from the solvers. The files have to jump from one directory on the storage server, to a second directory on that server, to the local machine and then back again to a third folder on the server. There's a method to have everything stored in one folder but the solver account that the process runs as doesn't have write access into the database storage directory.

We've been downloading multi GB results packages (some are 60GB+ each) at <1 MBps because of this. :negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Use it and post nothing but links to buzzfeed quizzes.

Go for the gold and do clickhole quizzes.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Manslaughter posted:

My company just made it mandatory that you post something to socialcast at least once a week.

gently caress you, social networks, now you're taking over my job too?

Find an API, write a cron job to post regular randomly-selected status updates.

Manslaughter posted:

2:46PM 13/08/2014
Doing work.

Manslaughter posted:

5:23PM 13/08/2014
Fixing stuff.

Manslaughter posted:

9:51AM 14/08/2014
Updating my SocialCast.

Manslaughter posted:

12:37PM 14/08/2014
Answering the phone.

Manslaughter posted:

2:12PM 15/08/2014
Bathroom break, #2. Bad lunch. Est. downtime: 37min.

Manslaughter posted:

2:32PM 15/08/2014
SITREP: Bathroom break still WIP.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

My company just made it mandatory that you post something to socialcast at least once a week.

When I was at IBM we were "strongly encouraged" to use our in house social networking bullshit called Connections. This was to make you more "visible" or some such nonsense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

topenga posted:

When I was at IBM we were "strongly encouraged" to use our in house social networking bullshit called Connections. This was to make you more "visible" or some such nonsense.

We got connections at my last job. One of our vendors called it "Pound Land Sharepoint" when he was in giving us training. Good work, IBM, you made the generic brand equivalent of something no one really likes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I finally added an email filter to junk anything with "urgent" in the subject ...

Senior Desktop Design Consultant posted:

subject: *URGENT* Feedback (Rate Your Experience) Required by All Platform Services team members on /support/ portal

Feedback Required on/before Monday 18th August

Hi All,

You MUST deliver feedback on our support/ portal as soon as possible – it will take you 1 second – just click on the golden stars (as many as you see fit ☺) and let’s try and push it in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your urgent attention and kind understanding in this matter.

Best regards,

Here’s some good advice for out-of-office response messages too: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28786117

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

Two questions:
Does socialcast have a "retweet" function?
Did they announce this new policy on socialcast?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Setup a robot to retweet everything LadyGaga tweets to the socialcast network.

edit-wth we have checkboxes on our names now?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Scaramouche posted:

Setup a robot to retweet everything LadyGaga tweets to the socialcast network.

edit-wth we have checkboxes on our names now?
Mouse over it :ssh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Mouse over it :ssh:

Holy poo poo they're little grenades now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
We use Yammer where I work. It's basically useful for shouting to the entire firm, "Hey, does anyone know anything about such-and-such?!"

Our CIO did a cool thread on "Tell me what cool stuff you want," though. Some of the suggestions were quite good.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kazinsal posted:

Holy poo poo they're little grenades now.

Annnnnd... they are gone.

e: and now they are back. WHAT IS HAPPENING!

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 16, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What is a good rate for pager pay for a sr level/18 year experience engineer? Team lead is being annoyed that i didnt answer my phone at 8am this morning. (after being out till 0330) scheduling a meeting with my boss on monday to clarify expectations for off hours availability. If he hits me with anything that remotely smells like on call expectations (which were not in the job to begin with) i want a good number to hit him with for pager pay.

Pretty sure its my teamlead just being annoyed he got tagged with it, and didnt get to hoist it off, but i want to put this crap to bed ASAP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're expected to not have a social life to be able to carry out on-call responsibilities then you need to be paid for every hour that you're expected to answer the phone, at OT rates if relevant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TWBalls posted:

I just visited their site and from poking around, it appears that it only applies to the firmware DVD ISO. The individiual firmware updates that were offered were letting me download without entitlement.

Yeah, but if you're trying to update a server without an OS it's a pain in the rear end :(

Oddhair posted:

I have a SmartStart DVD I burned when we picked up a couple of these same servers and I'd be willing to send it to you, I'm pretty sure it can update the firmware.

Fake edit: Though I see they haven't locked everything away completely.

Thanks, though I ended up just googling for the DVD filename and downloaded one someone had put up on an FTP site in France somewhere. Probably not the safest idea but it's a spare, old machine so if I hosed it up I wouldn't really be too fussed. Plus I guess good for the one guy on earth who would put up a fake firmware DVD to gently caress up someone's computer :q:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Manslaughter posted:

Someone was starting a social network thing inside the company and when it started sending out emails the CEO was like, "what is this poo poo?" and shut that poo poo down. :drum:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

nitrogen posted:

What is a good rate for pager pay for a sr level/18 year experience engineer? Team lead is being annoyed that i didnt answer my phone at 8am this morning. (after being out till 0330) scheduling a meeting with my boss on monday to clarify expectations for off hours availability. If he hits me with anything that remotely smells like on call expectations (which were not in the job to begin with) i want a good number to hit him with for pager pay.

Pretty sure its my teamlead just being annoyed he got tagged with it, and didnt get to hoist it off, but i want to put this crap to bed ASAP.

I get about 25% extra for being on call one week in five. OT at usual rates for any actual work done ofc. 20 to 30% seems to be common, depending on rotation.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ynglaur posted:

We use Yammer where I work. It's basically useful for shouting to the entire firm, "Hey, does anyone know anything about such-and-such?!"

Our CIO did a cool thread on "Tell me what cool stuff you want," though. Some of the suggestions were quite good.

Same here, though Microsoft bought Yammer a while ago and it's gotten progressively shittier since. We're looking for alternatives.

The idea behind an internal social network so you can chat about work stuff with people from all over the company is actually pretty great.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Yammer is awful, who really wants a knock off Facebook populated entirely by your colleagues? It's also terrible for discussing anything that you might want to refer back to meaning the majority of posts end up being just noise (Jim: "I'm working from the US office next week").

We've used an internal StackOverflow and internal blogs which cover all kinds of interesting technical things people are working on. These both work pretty well as they are persistent, searchable and seem to generate pretty good discussion.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

Same here, though Microsoft bought Yammer a while ago and it's gotten progressively shittier since. We're looking for alternatives.

The idea behind an internal social network so you can chat about work stuff with people from all over the company is actually pretty great.

Company I'm at uses Jive. Seems OK.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
All you chumps not using Slack. It's a pretty slick little package. Although it's more IRC type stuff than FB style.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Electronaut posted:

Company I'm at uses Jive. Seems OK.

We have an Amazon hosted Jive that is so terrible compared with Yammer it is almost actively encouraging not to communicate. It is functional as a poor Sharepoint as a document store alternative though.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

One team here needed instructions on how to create and share a calendar between themselves specifically for scheduling vacations. You know, rather than just using their existing calendars in Outlook, which even automatically gives you a "team" calendar group since they're all set up correctly in AD with managers. It's a small department and none of them do anything complicated with their schedules.

Most of the stupid seems to come from their boss though. He's the one that has been sitting on the paperwork to buy our new VM licenses which will replace the ones that expire over the weekend. I can't wait to see how that goes on Monday. :popcorn:

Excel-as-vacation-calendar person here! Every team does it differently, and some don't track at all for vacations, but mine does and we use a weird spreadsheet with the months, the date for each monday at the top, and five boxes vertical for the work week. Every time I look at it, I have to take a while to figure it out, and I usually have Outlook open too.

I double-schedule everything in Outlook to make it work for me!

e: Social Networking chat. We use a sort-of message-board and/or Q&A platform to ask questions, get new information, share ideas, and congratulate people on awards and things. It's pretty cool and simple, questions get answered by appropriate people in a timely fashion, and you can search for things and find their answers. Some people use it, some people don't, but if I was forced in some way I'd be unhappy.

lazercunt fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hosted jive here.

Expensive. Good lord.

5% of the firm understand what it's for.

I encourage people to use it but we have an office culture that discourages it's use. ie: if you're using Jive you're not billing. Why aren't you billing?

Edit: wouldn't mind chatting with other jive users about your use of it. I'm about to become the guy who manages it and would like to hear how if others are failing to use it in the same way we are.

Swink fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The superintendent brought the tech department into a meeting.
They're bringing a consultant in because 'the school board and the staff have no confidence in our technology', which is basically news to all of us. Apart from some really annoying back-to-back outages that the network admins keep saying they're not responsible for (if a teacher making a switch loop affects the entire goddamn network, it's your goddamn fault), things have actually been going pretty well in our schools. And we passed a tech levy last November that'll finally let us get some much-needed infrastructure upgrades. So, the boss gets some RFPs to re-wire the high school (was Fiber to the Desktop, turned into a nightmare) and the superintendent gets to start implementing a 1:1 with Chromebooks, starting with 3-5th grades.

Except the chromebooks & carts were going to be more expensive than she was expecting, and wanted to find the extra cost elsewhere in the budget...then went on vacation until August. A week after she gets back, we get the consultant news. He's a deputy superintendent & tech director at a neighboring district that has really good tech, who also happens to run his own consulting firm. One of our admins welcomes a consultant, but has heard horror stories about this one in particular since he has deals with vendors and other districts have bought all sorts of poo poo from them that they had to tear out later. The consultant tells the superintendent to put all tech projects on hold, which means the high school rewiring won't get done before classes start, and the Chromebooks, already late because of the budget crap, will be coming in even later (if at all). The teachers were all eagerly anticipating the Chromebooks and were planning their lessons around them and removing classroom computers, and now they're all screwed up.

We're 'meeting' the consultant over a video conference next week. I hope he holds the admins' feet to the fire, since they're not very good, but delaying badly needed projects or teacher-promised purchases is really goddamn annoying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pyroclastic posted:

The superintendent brought the tech department into a meeting.
They're bringing a consultant in because 'the school board and the staff have no confidence in our technology', which is basically news to all of us. Apart from some really annoying back-to-back outages that the network admins keep saying they're not responsible for (if a teacher making a switch loop affects the entire goddamn network, it's your goddamn fault), things have actually been going pretty well in our schools. And we passed a tech levy last November that'll finally let us get some much-needed infrastructure upgrades. So, the boss gets some RFPs to re-wire the high school (was Fiber to the Desktop, turned into a nightmare) and the superintendent gets to start implementing a 1:1 with Chromebooks, starting with 3-5th grades.

Except the chromebooks & carts were going to be more expensive than she was expecting, and wanted to find the extra cost elsewhere in the budget...then went on vacation until August. A week after she gets back, we get the consultant news. He's a deputy superintendent & tech director at a neighboring district that has really good tech, who also happens to run his own consulting firm. One of our admins welcomes a consultant, but has heard horror stories about this one in particular since he has deals with vendors and other districts have bought all sorts of poo poo from them that they had to tear out later. The consultant tells the superintendent to put all tech projects on hold, which means the high school rewiring won't get done before classes start, and the Chromebooks, already late because of the budget crap, will be coming in even later (if at all). The teachers were all eagerly anticipating the Chromebooks and were planning their lessons around them and removing classroom computers, and now they're all screwed up.

We're 'meeting' the consultant over a video conference next week. I hope he holds the admins' feet to the fire, since they're not very good, but delaying badly needed projects or teacher-promised purchases is really goddamn annoying.

I find the disdain for you network admins pretty funny. What do you do for the school?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sickening posted:

I find the disdain for you network admins pretty funny. What do you do for the school?

I'm a building tech.

Our network admins are...lazy, I guess. We have layer 2 switches at each building that haven't been configured and are acting as dumb switches. Nothing is VLAN'd. We lost weeks of work when the SCCM server died and had no backups. And then it died again shortly after it was rebuilt over several weeks...and it still had no backups. The live failover backup wireless controller had a configuration that was a year out of date and when the primary went down, a dozen APs got incorrect configuration information and walled themselves off from the network.
The racks are a nightmare that haven't been tidied or re-arranged in years. I think there are actually still T1 endpoints racked in there that haven't been hooked up to anything in ages.
They're extremely resistant to new ideas unless they come up with them themselves, so we have to try and do it roundabout so it seems like it's something they came up with.

They're not terrible (compared to the Novell days, the network runs amazingly!), but they're certainly not great.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caconym posted:

I get about 25% extra for being on call one week in five. OT at usual rates for any actual work done ofc. 20 to 30% seems to be common, depending on rotation.

Over here 30% of your hourly wage is the general rule if you're on call. If you're expected to be within a certain driving range of work (ex. max 1 hour away) it's usually around 50%.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welp, it would appear that someone's trying to make a project management role fit nearly into a template in a textbook somewhere and now I'm expected to submit my time daily. I think the best way to go about this is to make it as accurate as possible, so there's going to be a lot of entries for "filling out timesheet" and "emailing to request client and/or project is added to timesheet system" appearing each day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
After a pretty sleepless night, I got woken up by a support guy. I started to work on the issue they reported, and in doing so sent a basic question via email to the support team. The guy from support answered, and now his manager has replied twice with such vitriol towards her own tech that I'm just going back to bed rather than continue to work the issue. Good times.

e: She's one of those people that thinks leadership is treating people below you like poo poo while kissing rear end up the chain. I haven't had enough sleep to deal with that right now, so I don't believe I will!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 18, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I came back from 4 weeks of vacation to find a perfectly fine laptop in the electronics trash. Apparently it had refused to PXE image itself no matter what my coworkers had tried, so they threw it out.

I set the BIOS to the correct date and time, and loaded our image on it.

It's just a Latitude E6400, so it's not like anything of great value would have been lost, but for fucks sake!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evobatman posted:

I came back from 4 weeks of vacation to find a perfectly fine laptop in the electronics trash. Apparently it had refused to PXE image itself no matter what my coworkers had tried, so they threw it out.

I set the BIOS to the correct date and time, and loaded our image on it.

It's just a Latitude E6400, so it's not like anything of great value would have been lost, but for fucks sake!

That's still a nice laptop, and far from the sort of thing that's worth tossing in the trash. Core 2 has some serious staying power.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When I ask you what number you want me to contact you back at "Ugh, this phone" is not an answer. Especially when you called me.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Helpful tip: When you work for a company of 10,000+ and you're not a C-level executive, you don't need to (read: shouldn't) send a goodbye email on your last day to DL_ALL_EMPLOYEES waxing poetic about what a great time you had and how much you learned, and giving everyone your personal phone number and Gmail address.

I've never met you, but all of a sudden I don't like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Users continue to leave laptops in their cars in plain sight and then are shocked when they are stolen. loving idiots. I'm tempted to send today's lucky winner one of the old Vostro 1720s. Not dockable, weighs a ton. Enjoy your boat anchor!