Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Once they get to the point where Goku and Gohan go in the time chamber it's going to just take off for me. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

carry on then posted:

Once they get to the point where Goku and Gohan go in the time chamber it's going to just take off for me. Can't wait.

I feel like the dodge joke is gonna pick up some traction.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Oh hey, Battle of Gods is playing at my local theater. Maybe I should do what TFS says and support the official release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MH Knights posted:

Oh hey, Battle of Gods is playing at my local theater. Maybe I should do what TFS says and support the official release.

It's pretty darn good.

That said, it's been so long since I've actually watched DBZ that I was taken out a bit by the lack of TFS voices. Thankfully my inner child reasserted itself after about 5 minutes and I was fine.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
The Score DBZ Card Game is coming back! Well, not through Score this time, but it has the same rules and everything.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/a-legend-returns-panini-america-bringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The Score DBZ Card Game is coming back! Well, not through Score this time, but it has the same rules and everything.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/a-legend-returns-panini-america-bringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

We have a "Freecycle" table where people give away poo poo at work. A buddy of mine grabbed a plastic bag FULL of this old card game for me and dropped them on my desk. I've yet to actually open the bag and look at them, but interesting that it's getting a revival.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pretty baller. I played back when they did the revision for the DBGT card game. Which makes me wonder if they are going to allow for the scry effect (for those of you who play Magic) before the draw like in GT, or is Trunks going to be the new Android 18?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

carry on then posted:

Piccolo is going to be so bummed when he's replaced as the kids father. :smith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

Piccolo is going to be so bummed when he's replaced as the kids father. :smith:

I'm pretty sure Gohan's going to have some words about having to share a room with his father for a year.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Wow I was huge into the card game and I actually still have all my cards sitting in my closet collecting dust. I am guessing my old cards won't be legal in the new game though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
People actually played the DBZ card game? I just remember some people calling it a confusing mess and then it dropping off the face of the planet.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

It was pretty popular in my area. We had a group of about 10 players who would go to regional events, had a few even win them, and one of the players actually won the last World Championship event the game did before dying out.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

soscannonballs posted:

Wow I was huge into the card game and I actually still have all my cards sitting in my closet collecting dust. I am guessing my old cards won't be legal in the new game though.

I doubt anywhere will pick it up for tournament play, and the rules are apparently the same so I don't see how they would be 'illegal' anywhere you could find a game for it.

soscannonballs posted:

It was pretty popular in my area. We had a group of about 10 players who would go to regional events, had a few even win them, and one of the players actually won the last World Championship event the game did before dying out.

:aaaaa:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The rules have changed a bit for the better and and streamlined to make it less complicated.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

soscannonballs posted:

Yeah. My group went to Indianapolis for the Worlds back in....2003, I think? We all got top 32, and I ended up selling the promo from it for over $1,000 right before the game died out. :v:

I was running Orange Dr. Myuu with an Ally focus. It was pretty sweet.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

bowmore posted:

The rules have changed a bit for the better and and streamlined to make it less complicated.

Having known nothing about this game besides the fact that a large zip-lock bag collection is sitting on my desk at work, I was going off of:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

PaniniAmerica posted:

Panini America will release a 69-card 2014 Dragon Ball Z Starter Deck

Heh

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Goku's max power-level for his level 1 is 9001.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

soscannonballs posted:

Oh my god it is.

Those fuckers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Was the Dragonball card game ever very good as a CCG (well all CCGs were basically gently caress YOU GIVE ME MORE MONEY anyway) to begin with? Or was it another Star Wars CCG?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

soscannonballs posted:

Oh, gently caress. I was holding it upside down. Sorry, Nappa.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Was the Dragonball card game ever very good as a CCG (well all CCGs were basically gently caress YOU GIVE ME MORE MONEY anyway) to begin with? Or was it another Star Wars CCG?

It was pretty good, but it definitely went through its broken phases. There was a period where Red Mastery physical decks were nigh unbeatable just because of how efficient they were. And it suffered from power creep near the end. This is what prompted the game reboot and retooling for the DBGT sets. The other major issue (and this has more to do with the marketing and less the game itself) was how promos were handed out. They were almost all restricted to prizes at high level tournaments but were all tournament legal and broken as gently caress. And most of them were colorless, so they could be shoved into any deck for instant value. One of my favorite ones was a super efficient energy attack that let you cast it three times before the card got used up. (Attacks were primarily single use with a couple double-use inefficient rares.)

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah the promo cards were really good. For example the best Trunks and Cell level 1 personality cards were both difficult to get promos but were much better than any other level 1 for those characters. Cell's promo let you do 2 separate physical attacks for +3 physical each combat, and Trunks only took 2 damage maximum from all energy attacks all the time. There was also a promo card that let you remove a dragon ball from the game permanently (nothing else could ever remove a dragonball from play once it was played, you could only capture it. Also you could only have 1 copy of each dragon ball in your deck, so if someone removed one of yours you couldn't win that way anymore). Also Master Roshi only appeared as a promo and his level 1 let you Scry 10 at the beginning of each combat.

One thing I hope they bring back are the Tuff Enough cards (they were all promos too!) since that was a cool format.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 18, 2014

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
As much hate as Bio-Broly gets I actually like it just for showing secondary characters having outside adventures, fighting a villain anyone could of fought and eventually defeating it by an actual weakness, hell even Krillin and 18 did damage or perceived effect against and ultimately joined in on the finishing blow. It's a shame DB never had much cases aside from filler where everyone could join in on fighting against the big bad, a reason i enjoy the early DBZ movies i guess.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I watched all three Broly movies for the first time this weekend. I don't understand the hate Bio Broly gets compared to the first Broly movie which I found to be near unwatchable. A zero dimensional villain who literally uses the same attack over and over. The villain in Bio Broly at least had a clear motivation and action plan to accomplish his goals, and would have succeeded were it not for those meddling kids.

Those were some outright grisly deaths of all the scientists in Bio Broly though. Jesus.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Steve Jorbs posted:

I watched all three Broly movies for the first time this weekend. I don't understand the hate Bio Broly gets compared to the first Broly movie which I found to be near unwatchable. A zero dimensional villain who literally uses the same attack over and over. The villain in Bio Broly at least had a clear motivation and action plan to accomplish his goals, and would have succeeded were it not for those meddling kids.

Those were some outright grisly deaths of all the scientists in Bio Broly though. Jesus.

Because his power is maximum.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The Legendary Warrior of Space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSZggVIVis

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just don't think that the movie did the kids justice, and Gohan basically shows up too late to do anything useful. It would have been a really kick-rear end thing to have Gohan and Broly fight after so many years and with the improvements Gohan had made...

Alas, it was not to be.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I just don't think that the movie did the kids justice, and Gohan basically shows up too late to do anything useful. It would have been a really kick-rear end thing to have Gohan and Broly fight after so many years and with the improvements Gohan had made...

Alas, it was not to be.

Bio Brolly is the movie after that. No Gohan in that, just the kids, Krillen, Satan, and 18.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

Bio Brolly is the movie after that. No Gohan in that, just the kids, Krillen, Satan, and 18.

wait.

I've only seen two movies with Broly in it. Are there three? :psyduck:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mordaedil posted:

wait.

Oh, you lucky man. Hahaha

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

wait.

There's the original with Broly and his dad bringing all the Saiyan and Future Trunks to New Vegeta, the 2nd one where Gohan fights him with Goten and Trunks, and a third one where scientists try to turn Broly cells into a weapon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kild posted:

There's the original with Broly and his dad bringing all the Saiyan and Future Trunks to New Vegeta,
Me, my father, or the planet?
Yes

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

wait.

N-no! Of course not! Why would you think there'd be THREE movies about Broly. Hahaha, th-that's just dumb, right guys? Guys?

Please don't watch it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whereas Broly has the capacity for critical thought and coherent speech, Bio-Broly lacks both. This mindlessness, coupled with the clone's retention of his source material's extreme levels of mental instability and rage, results in the clone being akin to a ravenous zombie that will attack anyone in sight.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Broly, they've got this figure coming out.

Broly being a giant muscle ball does not translate to figures very well.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Beef Waifu posted:

Whereas Broly has the capacity for critical thought and coherent speech, Bio-Broly lacks both. This mindlessness, coupled with the clone's retention of his source material's extreme levels of mental instability and rage, results in the clone being akin to a ravenous zombie that will attack anyone in sight.

And it got peed on.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The only thing I enjoyed about Bio Broly is Krillin not being a total chump in it, the movie itself is pretty horrible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Squallege posted:

Speaking of Broly, they've got this figure coming out.

Broly being a giant muscle ball does not translate to figures very well.
His pecs have jowls. :stonk::fh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I can't unsee the crying face that makes up his torso. I guess that is fitting, though.

• Locked thread