Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Moey posted:

Are you running a credit card machine over this internet connection as well?

Yep, got a POS, no pun intended.

Now to just make that new router for myself the business look like a business expense... Sometimes I love working for family. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'd like to get wireless access to a cabin about 80-100 feet from the house. There's almost line of sight between the two but there's some leaves and a wooden fence between them. It also rains a bit. Could I use something like two Ubiquity NanoBridge M9's for the point-to-point connection and then APs in each location for devices to connect to? Or is anything other than totally clear line of sight going to be hopeless? I'd be happy if it's fast enough to stream Netflix.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ninja Rope posted:

I'd like to get wireless access to a cabin about 80-100 feet from the house. There's almost line of sight between the two but there's some leaves and a wooden fence between them. It also rains a bit. Could I use something like two Ubiquity NanoBridge M9's for the point-to-point connection and then APs in each location for devices to connect to? Or is anything other than totally clear line of sight going to be hopeless? I'd be happy if it's fast enough to stream Netflix.

While water is hard for wifi to get through, you're talking about a pretty small distance for a lot of those ubiquiti products, so I'd imagine that the results will be decent if you can get them in spots with some obstructions but not too many. Since it's only 100 feet you could also run an ethernet cable, but I'm guessing you've already looked into that. If you wanted to do that you'd want some outdoor rated cat6 most likely.

After looking at some products, you're probably even overspeccing for the NanoBridge M9, I'd imagine the NanoStation loco would be fine. If you check the first question on the M2's product page on amazon someone's using two with obstructions and 100% signal:
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LOCOM2-US-NanoStation-loco-M2/dp/B004EGI3CI/ref=pd_sim_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=19CR4DP9TXYKSKDBJD7T

quote:

Q: I want to use 2 of these to make point to point bridge between two houses. The distance = 180 ft but there are bunch of trees. Would it work ?
A:
I just set these up to go over a distance of about 350 feet. One end (receiving end) the signal goes through siding on a barn. At the house end, it goes through the wall of the house that has windows. About half way across there are trees the signal would pass through (no foliage now). My signal is 100% (all lights on).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Interesting. I was looking at the NanoBridge M9's because I figured 900mhz would give a stronger signal through obstructions, but the loco is much smaller and cheaper. I'll try and figure out how close to exact line of sight I need, maybe the loco is the better option. Thanks.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
If I used a power line adapter which had 3 RJ45 sockets on it and connected a Pc and a NAS to that adapter, would it be clever enough to route traffic between the Pc and NAS locally through that plug, or would it be less intelligent and send it round the house and back ?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Baconroll posted:

If I used a power line adapter which had 3 RJ45 sockets on it and connected a Pc and a NAS to that adapter, would it be clever enough to route traffic between the Pc and NAS locally through that plug, or would it be less intelligent and send it round the house and back ?

I haven't tried one myself to be sure but from what I can find online they have a switch chip inside, so the three ports should learn what devices are hooked to them and send the frames to the right place. This means that you'll get better speeds between devices on those plugs than the remote devices (it won't go around the house).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

I'm using two Nanostation Loco M5s to set up a link from my house to the house across the street. My side is inside the garage, mostly aimed at their house, but shooting through the garage door itself, at least two trees, across the street, and through a window on their side (theirs is mounted to the glass with a suction cup).

Full signal on the first try. The internal speed tests in the Nanostation interface hit within a few Mbps of the rated maximum 150Mbps (counting both directions simultaneously).

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
I've been having issues with my internet lately and getting some confusing information. The cable company had maintenance issues last week with the net being down 100% for about 5 days. Since they "fixed it" everything seems slow and I don't believe I'm getting the 50Mbps I'm paying for.

Here's where the confusion lies: three different speed tests give 3 wildly different results. Speedtest.net says 21Mbps down and 3.22 up. bandwidthplace.com says 4.96Mbps down and 2.95 Mbps up. The somewhat questionable test hosted by my ISP says 47.62 down and 3.17 up. They say there isn't an issue and will only trust their test. I have a Motorola SB6121 and Netgear WNDR4500 N900 router. I performed the test with only my main PC connected by wire to the router, all other devices wired and wireless off or unplugged and always chose a server in Dallas.

I always used speedtest.net in the past to check things and previously got speeds of 51Mbps or so. I don't know how to prove to them I'm having an issue or if the issue is truly on my end. :shrug:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Tachonium posted:

I've been having issues with my internet lately and getting some confusing information. The cable company had maintenance issues last week with the net being down 100% for about 5 days. Since they "fixed it" everything seems slow and I don't believe I'm getting the 50Mbps I'm paying for.

Here's where the confusion lies: three different speed tests give 3 wildly different results. Speedtest.net says 21Mbps down and 3.22 up. bandwidthplace.com says 4.96Mbps down and 2.95 Mbps up. The somewhat questionable test hosted by my ISP says 47.62 down and 3.17 up. They say there isn't an issue and will only trust their test. I have a Motorola SB6121 and Netgear WNDR4500 N900 router. I performed the test with only my main PC connected by wire to the router, all other devices wired and wireless off or unplugged and always chose a server in Dallas.

I always used speedtest.net in the past to check things and previously got speeds of 51Mbps or so. I don't know how to prove to them I'm having an issue or if the issue is truly on my end. :shrug:
I'd try removing the router from the equation altogether, and just plug your PC into the cable modem. I'd also try repeating some tests over time and seeing if the results are consistent depending on the time of day or day of the week.

Is your ISP's support telling you to do anything specific?

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.

beepsandboops posted:

I'd try removing the router from the equation altogether, and just plug your PC into the cable modem. I'd also try repeating some tests over time and seeing if the results are consistent depending on the time of day or day of the week.

Is your ISP's support telling you to do anything specific?

I've done the tests all sorts of random times during the day or night. The results are pretty much the same. Just tried directly through the modem and got almost 30 from speedtest.net as opposed to 20. I'll test in this way throughout the day tomorrow.

The only thing the ISP has suggested is the usual rebooting of everything or replacing the modem. I'm just skeptical since I've never had issues until a week after major downtime. I'm willing to buy a new modem or router but only if I'm reasonably sure it will help.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have a router issue that I think is simply being caused by it being garbage, but I figured I would ask.

Comcast gave me a call the other day and offered to quadruple my internet speeds for only $10 more a month, so now I have 105 megs down and am feeling pretty good. I have a separate cable modem and a Netgear WGR614 v7 wireless router. When I connect my PC directly to the cable modem, I get the full speed, averaging 108 down. However, when I use the router (connected via wire) I have gotten, at best, 60 megs down, and usually much slower. I never used my network to transfer things between computers, so I never realized how terrible the throughput was. Is it possible I could have router settings screwed up, or is this just a cheap older router that simply isn't good enough to actually deliver 100 megs? And if so, does anyone have experience with this router?

I understand the folly in replacing one cheap router with another, but it is DD-WRT compatible apparently, so I assume that means I should be ok. I would get a nice dual band router, but I figure by the time I actually need something that good those routers will be more than $20 cheaper.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

abagofcheetos posted:

I understand the folly in replacing one cheap router with another, but it is DD-WRT compatible apparently, so I assume that means I should be ok. I would get a nice dual band router, but I figure by the time I actually need something that good those routers will be more than $20 cheaper.

According to this page from TP-Link the WAN to LAN throughput for that router is about 90Mbits without any kind of tunneling, which is still slower than a direct connection to your modem. If that's too slow for you maybe check out the Asus RT-N16? It supports dd-wrt and has a throughput of about 140Mbits. Kind of difficult to find adequate/reliable hardware around the $20-50 price-range, dd-wrt or not.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, thanks for that link. I might just bite the bullet on that $20 one, I can live with losing out on 10 megs for saving $60. If I was going to spend $80+ I would look into spending even more to get something really good, which my situation just doesn't require right now. Plus it looks like speeds increased from v7 to v8, and the Amazon reviews suggest it is up to v9, so maybe it will be even faster than the 95 listed.

Thanks again!

edit: the more I thought about it the more I realized I was going to be bothered by losing a megabyte of download speed so I caved and just bought this instead. When I get it and have it set up I'll post if I can get the 100+ from it.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 17, 2014

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
So I get very nice residential internet.

If I plug in, I get ~320Mbps down, 350Mbps up, unlimited, for 39$/mo.

Wifi is different because I have an Asus RT N66U. On the 5ghz network I set up, I get 40Mbps down, 30Mbps up. On 2.5ghz I get like 3 down, 3 up.

This is a really unique ISP that only serves some buildings in seattle and I won't have it forever and will likely go back to plebian internet speeds and pay 3x for it after I leave here and plan to get a house in the future, but while I'm here I want to max out my internet experience.

1) Can I tweak the N66U 5ghz network to get decent speeds? I though you could get like 100Mbps on these. I have it set to "N" devices only but didn't really mess with settings.

2) Is it stupid (yes, but how stupid) to get an Asus RT-AC68U or wait for a RT-AC87U?

I know, I'm a dick, the speed is awesome.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
CondoInternet? I'm probably going to be specifically looking for one of their buildings the next time I move.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Kreeblah posted:

CondoInternet? I'm probably going to be specifically looking for one of their buildings the next time I move.

You know, their naming structure sounds like a shell game. Their name is Atlas Networks, their internet is generally referred to as Seattle-On-Net, but they also use CondoInternet to describe it.

The speeds are awesome and the price is great. PM me if you want to look at the Nolo or Wave buildings.

This is what I get: 1,000/1,000Mbps burst (250Mbps guaranteed) no contract, setup cost, 39/mo

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
What kind of device are you using to connect wirelessly? Do you know its limits for how much traffic it can handle?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

What kind of device are you using to connect wirelessly? Do you know its limits for how much traffic it can handle?

Devices:

iPhone 5s
HTC Droid DNA
Chrombook Pixel
Lenovo W500
(diverse family...)

And no, I don't know the limitations

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I know a lot of older devices can't take full advantage of the MIMO tech that makes really fast wireless speeds possible. I might check and see what the limits of your newer devices are like and see if they match up with the speeds that you've been getting on your router. That might be what's limiting your speeds on 5 GHz. 2 GHz's probably just a poo poo show no matter how you cut it (interference, small channel sizes, etc.).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Good point. Testing from Google Chromebook Pixel - 58.26Mbps down 149.18Mbps up 2ms ping, it has 802.11n with MIMO, from like.. 10 feet away from the router. Still not 100Mbps though.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Not an Anthem posted:

1) Can I tweak the N66U 5ghz network to get decent speeds? I though you could get like 100Mbps on these. I have it set to "N" devices only but didn't really mess with settings.
You can get higher throughput by using wider band networks, but you'll also have less range and less penetration. Higher speed = shorter distance. Also you should see what your neighbors are using for their spectrum, and realize that all RF airtime is shared time, so don't expect decent performance over wifi.

Not an Anthem posted:

2) Is it stupid (yes, but how stupid) to get an Asus RT-AC68U or wait for a RT-AC87U?

Don't bother getting 802.11ac gear until you have 802.11ac devices which support it.

beepsandboops posted:

I know a lot of older devices can't take full advantage of the MIMO tech that makes really fast wireless speeds possible.
IIRC nearly all mobile devices are 1x1 (including recent ones), so basically no MIMO. (The most recent samsung and a few others excepted). Not like there's enough space on the device itself to get MIMO RF diversification anyways.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 18, 2014

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

You can get higher throughput by using wider band networks, but you'll also have less range and less penetration. Higher speed = shorter distance. Also you should see what your neighbors are using for their spectrum, and realize that all RF airtime is shared time, so don't expect decent performance over wifi.

Don't bother getting 802.11ac gear until you have 802.11ac devices which support it.

IIRC nearly all mobile devices are 1x1 (including recent ones), so basically no MIMO. (The most recent samsung and a few others excepted). Not like there's enough space on the device itself to get MIMO RF diversification anyways.

Thank you. I don't need range or penetration, small apartment and open plan. I'll scan what channels are less used tonight too. How do you set it to wider band networks?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Not an Anthem posted:

Thank you. I don't need range or penetration, small apartment and open plan. I'll scan what channels are less used tonight too. How do you set it to wider band networks?

Find the settings page in your router's settings that let you set the channel, and preferably the transmission strength too. You're looking for a setting that changes between 20mhz and 40mhz width on your selected channel band. Set your AP to channel 1 or channel 11, and then up the width to 40mhz. The chart below kinda explains what to expect. I wish I could find the chart that puts it in terms of signal strength but I'm not entirely certain if that would break somebody's copyright.

The colums are basically:
  • MCS: what "flavor" of negotiation your device makes with the AP, in other words, the profile for what kind of bandwidth you'll get.
  • Coding / modulation: who cares, unimportant for this purpose.
  • streams: how many MIMO connections you're making simultaneously. If you're using a 2x2 MIMO, that's two upload and two download streams and thus double the throughput. 3x3 MIMO is pretty rare.
  • Signal 20/40MHz: how wide your channel profile is. When you see people suggest wifi channel 1 or 6 or 11, they're taking the 2.4ghz wifi spectrum and dividing the effective 60MHz width into 3 non-overlapping bands. If some dickhead in your neighborhood is sitting on channel 3 using 40mhz width, then they're making GBS threads all over both channel 1 and channel 6.
  • GI = blah: GI means "guard interval". Also not entirely important to you. If given the choice between "long" wait times per wireless packet, or "short" wait times... go with shorter ones.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got 2 routers running tomato, one as a router and one extending the wifi past the kitchen. If the internet-facing router is using 6to4 tunneling for ipv6 how should I configure ipv6 on the other one?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Whats the recommended gig 24/48 port switch? I want to move my nas/esx into my crawlspace, but my switch thats down there is an old 10/100 24 port switch I bought off craigslist. Just the cheapest one I find? Is this too far away from home stuff for this thread?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blindjoe posted:

Whats the recommended gig 24/48 port switch? I want to move my nas/esx into my crawlspace, but my switch thats down there is an old 10/100 24 port switch I bought off craigslist. Just the cheapest one I find? Is this too far away from home stuff for this thread?

Unmanaged: Whatever has decent reviews.

Managed: Depends what you want, but probably an HP of some type.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Unmanaged: Whatever has decent reviews.

Managed: Depends what you want, but probably an HP of some type.

Unmanaged, so I guess Ill be looking for a deal/sale or something. We have dell's (sort of managed) at work and they suck, so I didn't know if there were others, but thanks anyways.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blindjoe posted:

Unmanaged, so I guess Ill be looking for a deal/sale or something. We have dell's (sort of managed) at work and they suck, so I didn't know if there were others, but thanks anyways.

There's not really anything to differentiate an unmanaged switch these days aside from maybe the warranty, so keeping up with recommendations would be a fool's errand.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got the router today, and after putting on DD-WRT and loving around with it for a bit I did this:

I'm satisfied... hopefully it holds up! I don't really need any of the advanced stuff DD-WRT even offers, I just figured it would be more efficient and better at serving data.

edit: just tried another and got 109. Pleased.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 20, 2014

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm looking for a cheap router to set up a VPN network on, and found a Tp Link Tl-wr702n for sale nearby. Does anybody know if these are any good, and if it'll do what I need?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I'm trying to set up a VPN tunnel to one of these servers, but since I don't really know anything about VPNs and there doesn't seem to be any real documentation for Tomato at all, I'm kind of stuck.

I managed to get the OpenVPN Client to the point where it'll run when I click "Start Now" by plugging in anything that looked relevant from one of the OpenVPN config files that website, but it seems to have no effect beyond that, and my IP is unchanged. Is there some setting somewhere else that I need to enable to get this working?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What are some recommendations as far as Wifi receiver dongles?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Farecoal posted:

What are some recommendations as far as Wifi receiver dongles?

Intel makes some of the best networking gear so one of their PCI-e cards is the top suggestion in the parts picking thread. If you want USB then all bets are off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106192 is the latest pci-e card (it's a little cheaper from other vendors but it hovers around $35).

For USB I've mostly used the EdiMax super tiny modules because they've got good linux support. Without an external antenna they're probably not the best choice for everyone but they're like $9 or 10 regularly:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091&cm_re=edimax-_-33-315-091-_-Product

If you want USB but you also want something a bit higher end than the edimax, I'd just sort by reviews on amazon unless another goon has used one they particularly like.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Find the settings page in your router's settings that let you set the channel, and preferably the transmission strength too. You're looking for a setting that changes between 20mhz and 40mhz width on your selected channel band. Set your AP to channel 1 or channel 11, and then up the width to 40mhz. The chart below kinda explains what to expect. I wish I could find the chart that puts it in terms of signal strength but I'm not entirely certain if that would break somebody's copyright.

The colums are basically:
  • MCS: what "flavor" of negotiation your device makes with the AP, in other words, the profile for what kind of bandwidth you'll get.
  • Coding / modulation: who cares, unimportant for this purpose.
  • streams: how many MIMO connections you're making simultaneously. If you're using a 2x2 MIMO, that's two upload and two download streams and thus double the throughput. 3x3 MIMO is pretty rare.
  • Signal 20/40MHz: how wide your channel profile is. When you see people suggest wifi channel 1 or 6 or 11, they're taking the 2.4ghz wifi spectrum and dividing the effective 60MHz width into 3 non-overlapping bands. If some dickhead in your neighborhood is sitting on channel 3 using 40mhz width, then they're making GBS threads all over both channel 1 and channel 6.
  • GI = blah: GI means "guard interval". Also not entirely important to you. If given the choice between "long" wait times per wireless packet, or "short" wait times... go with shorter ones.

Thanks will figure it out this weekend. Moved the router across the apartment and now I barely get signal in the bedroom

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
OP is still gimping on AC gear, and while I've got laptops that support it, most of the streaming will be off a roku, and some usage on ipads. For what it's worth, I will try to set it up so that the roku is wired. iPads, I'm not really worried about throughput quite as much.

What's my better option here, N or AC? Moving into a townhouse in a not terribly packed neighborhood but also thinking future-proofing a bit. recommendations? Also, is VOIP modem consensus still to rent from provider?

Thanks!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So our goon recommended E3000 running Tomato USB just took a final poo poo (dropping packets, slow speed, random disconnects). We're going to flash the factory BIOS on it to see if it'll give new life to it but asuming it doesn't what's the recomended router for us.

Our Internet is 50Mb cable through comcast. Our setup is 3 wired computers and 13 wireless devices on and off throughout the week, mostly tablets, consoles, streaming players etc...)

Can anyone recommend a wireless router that will handle this load, I don't know how updated the OP is, as I was looking at getting a Asus NT-16 when I bought my E3000 almost 3 years ago.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Rexxed posted:

Intel makes some of the best networking gear so one of their PCI-e cards is the top suggestion in the parts picking thread. If you want USB then all bets are off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106192 is the latest pci-e card (it's a little cheaper from other vendors but it hovers around $35).

I was thinking USB but this is probably the better option, thank you.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone have any clever ways to get a US Macbook, or any US hardware for that matter to connect to wifi being broadcast on CH14? I live in a densely populated apt complex and CH 13 - 14 are the only empty channels (for obvious reasons)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Diametunim posted:

Anyone have any clever ways to get a US Macbook, or any US hardware for that matter to connect to wifi being broadcast on CH14? I live in a densely populated apt complex and CH 13 - 14 are the only empty channels (for obvious reasons)

This sounds like it's against the law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use 5Ghz, that's what it is there for. Channel 14 is gimped enough already, its 802.11b and suffers from interference from commercial radio. I'm sure there are some insightful articles on the topic somewhere as this is frequently asked.