Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Flesnolk posted:

the Event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So if they're pushing the start date back another 100 years, does that mean they'll have to overhaul the technology system again to support it? I'm not sure how they could not break the technology in current saves at least, unless they added some negative tiers or something.

Massive Ahead Penalties maybe? But then you would just be stockpiling research points for 100 years more or less, not very interesting.

Each level of the ahead-of-time penalty lasts for 100 years, and they're adding roughly 100 years of gametime. So if they just add one level of tech to everything it should go almost completely unaffected.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Don't blame me, I didn't pick the name. :V

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Bloody Pom posted:

I love the GoT mod sometimes. Starting off as Ned at the Crowned Stag bookmark:

-Stannis got a cold and died childless. :laffo:
-Robb got murdered by Karstark's wife, I imprisoned her rear end and had Ned give her a few inches off the top in retaliation.
-Roose Bolton was an accomplice in the murder, he got booted off to the Wall and succeeded by his idiot trueborn son.
-Lacking a male heir, I legitimized Jon Snow and married him to Arianne Martell.
-Khal Drogo rolled bad traits and became a wussy weakling.
-Viserys committed suicide in exile instead of getting his crown. Gotta love the Lunatic trait. :allears:

Unfortunately, Doran got wise to what I was doing and disinherited his daughter so that I couldn't get my grandson the lordship of both the North and Dorne. :argh:

My favorite Game of Thrones experience had to be the one where Stannis decided NOT to assassinate Renly with his r'hollr shadow baby, and instead just waged a good ole' fashioned war against his brother. Then in the first battle Brienne of Tarth chopped his head off in a duel.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Huh, kind of surprised about what the CK2 trailer didn't mention. There's certainly some interesting stuff still to come.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, kind of surprised about what the CK2 trailer didn't mention. There's certainly some interesting stuff still to come.

... Like?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What CK2 trailer?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My favorite Game of Thrones experience had to be the one where Stannis decided NOT to assassinate Renly with his r'hollr shadow baby, and instead just waged a good ole' fashioned war against his brother. Then in the first battle Brienne of Tarth chopped his head off in a duel.

Further to my previous game, Robert just died childless since he kicked Cersei out on her rear end.

Something must have happened to Renly while I wasn't looking, because now Daenerys has inherited the throne. And she's still pissed at Ned for everything that happened. :ohdear:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm hoping that by story-driven, they mean that we'll have more stories about both our characters and our neighbors.

One of the reasons bookmarks and alt-histories are so fun is because we know the story of the folks outside of the game, i.e. we know enough about William the Conqueror or Robert D'Hauteville that seeing them in game is fun since we can impose these histories on the stories we already know. If the game takes leaps to create these in the game, that would be really a huge step in making the world more alive. It would be really cool if we'd get rumors and updates from surrounding areas about how King of France was having problems within his court and handling it with draconian measures, or having story-driven event series with our neighbors that would give long lasting benefits between houses, create feuds or alliances, etc.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Meh. This looks more like a $10 DLC than a $20 DLC, something more along the lines of Legacy of Rome or something. A new history, a customizer, and more flavor events doesn't seem worth $20 to me -- looks like the seasons will probably be something you get free with the patch anyway.

Given how quickly Steam puts stuff on sale we'll probably be able to get it for $10 during the winter sale

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

...you are such a tease

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there never going to be a 4th crusade mechanic?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Big Paradox event that fans look forward to seeing for the new CK2 expansion; good parts left out.

:downs:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Big Paradox event that fans look forward to seeing for the new CK2 expansion; good parts left out.

:downs:

How long have they been programming this? Maybe they have a bunch of cool poo poo written down, and didn't wanna pull a Molyneux. So just picked the stuff they knew was going to happen for reals?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

As for the American empire title, there isn't one yet - we're thinking about what to do on that front.

You could just handle it like the Empire of India decision. That's an empire made out of other empires at least.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

DrSunshine posted:

What CK2 trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGkGUC0D2U

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Darkrenown posted:

Interesting stuff beyond what was mentioned in the RPS blurb?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

James The 1st posted:

That Paradox thread for the America mod didn't take long to break down.
I thought I put the kibosh on that alright. :v:

Cythereal posted:

Question about Florida in that mod: can I play as the Conch Republic?
Not sure if the titular title is in or not, but I do recall coming across that and opting against having it in at game start, just because the Florida Keys is a single, pathetically weak county.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ofaloaf posted:

Not sure if the titular title is in or not, but I do recall coming across that and opting against having it in at game start, just because the Florida Keys is a single, pathetically weak county.

Would have made a nice Venice analogue in this Floridian's opinion, given Key West's history of wealth. Start it off as a merchant republic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Would have made a nice Venice analogue in this Floridian's opinion, given Key West's history of wealth. Start it off as a merchant republic.

Also there's like three towns worth a drat in the keys and the rest of the holdings had to be individual keys, so right now that county's baronies are
code:
			c_florida_keys = {
				color={ 68 112 193 }
				color2={ 220 220 0 }

b_key_west_FL = {
					used_for_dynasty_names = no
				}
				b_key_largo_FL = {
				}
				b_islamorada_FL = {
				}
				b_plantation_key_FL = {
				}
				b_tavernier_FL = {
				}
				b_marathon_FL = {
				}
				b_no_name_key_FL = {
				}
				b_big_pine_key_FL = {
				}
			}
and those names aren't pretty enough to merit having the county be a high-holding highly-developed sort of place.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

You are the worst kind of tease.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
As mega Venice sworn to the Byzantine Emperor I just lead a faction for my own claim on the empire. When I enforced peace I had a shia revolt and the empire had two host invasions. When the map flipped I lost about 1/3 of my vassals, most of them counts but a few dukes and the rest of the empire lost one duke and the one of the duchies that was a target of a host. The vassals I lost are spread all over and several ducal titles were destroyed. Most of them will just accept an offer of vassalization, but it doesn't seem logical that it should happen - is this normal?

This is an Ironman game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Relationship Pro-tip: When you and your partner move in together, it's great for each of you to have your own private space. But putting a lock on your partner's door can severely damage the trust in a relationship!

That said, I'm rather impressed that my boyfriend was able to avoid me in a cell. Apparently Dumbarton Rock has very spacious dungeons.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
How much income should you lose to paying family members in a republic? I'm paying over half my income to support my massive family, this is from an Old Gods start and it's now after 1100. I'm having to alternate between incredibly skilled younger guys who inevitably die of illness and the occasional useless fossil with about 3k in the bank.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Glokta posted:

How much income should you lose to paying family members in a republic? I'm paying over half my income to support my massive family, this is from an Old Gods start and it's now after 1100. I'm having to alternate between incredibly skilled younger guys who inevitably die of illness and the occasional useless fossil with about 3k in the bank.

That sounds about right for a Merchant Republic. It's basically so you can get your money back after having to pay to rig an election.

If you don't feel the need to expand your trade posts further, you can start landing your family, so you don't need to pay them, while keeping the income from your trade posts.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Corbeau posted:

... Like?
DINOSAURS.

And you can form a pre-historic Byzantine Empire!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Just noticed the Duchess of Nova Scotia :golfclap:

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Edison was a dick posted:

That sounds about right for a Merchant Republic. It's basically so you can get your money back after having to pay to rig an election.

If you don't feel the need to expand your trade posts further, you can start landing your family, so you don't need to pay them, while keeping the income from your trade posts.

I'm at 28/26 possible trade posts with my nearest rival on 10. I did blow about 5k trying to get my genius elusive shadow heir who was married to the Byzantine heir on the throne by diplo-stabbing the emperor (He had 3 intrigue and and a young wife, I was impatient.). He jailed me, executed me, and married his female heir to the Abyssinian Emperor. One misguided attempt to restore a male Makedon heir once she inherits and I'm now a vassal of a Byzantine-Abyssinian superstate. Absolute crown authority and half the world is now Miaphysite. The Karlings were a walk in the park compared to this mess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's the best count to start with to get the count->emperor achievement?

There's a count in Athens where I can kill my dad and take his Duke title, but then in kind of stuck because emperor Basileous is a dick.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

COOL CORN posted:

There's a count in Athens where I can kill my dad and take his Duke title, but then in kind of stuck because emperor Basileous is a dick.

It doesn't matter the achievement doesn't actually track characters as long as you start as a count and become an emperor down the generations.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

COOL CORN posted:

Old Gods Start > Brother of the Duke of Wessex. You start as a count, but if you murder your brother or press your claim, you become the strongest power. Then holy war some Norsemen and you will be the King of England. From there its easy pickings to become Emperor!

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So I decided to start an observer game for fun in CK2, whats the worst that can happ-

Oh.

I chose the 867 start, so this is roughly two hundred and fifty years into the game. Here were the highlights of the save for me:
As you can see from the Screenshot above, the Knights Hospitaller control most of Occitania. They also hold the kingdom of Jerusalem, but don't seem to have the actual kingdom title.
Speaking of Jeursalem, I'm pretty sure there isn't one ruler in the area that is the same culture as anyone else. Its a melting pot of Italian, Occitan, Polish, Welsh, Russian, ect.
There is a crusader kingdom in Anatolia, which operates by Absolute Cognatic Seniority.
The doge of Venice is an African. He is also both cynical and possessed at the same time.
The empire of Tartaria formed, and they got converted to the Miaphysite religion.
The current crusade is for Finland, of all places.
Culture is as crazily schizophrenic as ever.

Imperial titles are from the titular title generator, for those wondering.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 16, 2014

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Flesnolk posted:

As for the American empire title, there isn't one yet - we're thinking about what to do on that front.

Can't you do it India style, where if you collect enough empire titles around America you merge them into a super-empire?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ofaloaf posted:

Also there's like three towns worth a drat in the keys and the rest of the holdings had to be individual keys, so right now that county's baronies are
code:
			c_florida_keys = {
				color={ 68 112 193 }
				color2={ 220 220 0 }

b_key_west_FL = {
				}
				b_key_largo_FL = {
				}
				b_islamorada_FL = {
				}
				b_plantation_key_FL = {
				}
				b_tavernier_FL = {
				}
				b_marathon_FL = {
				}
				b_no_name_key_FL = {
				}
				b_big_pine_key_FL = {
				}
			}
and those names aren't pretty enough to merit having the county be a high-holding highly-developed sort of place.

The Keys were historically a very wealthy part of the Caribbean, and Key West was one of the richest cities in the world in the early 19th century. And the Conch Republic's motto is "We Seceded Where Others Failed." :smug:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Ah CK2, where marrying your recently departed father's genius wife is just par for the course.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

iLurk posted:

Old Gods Start > Brother of the Duke of Wessex. You start as a count, but if you murder your brother or press your claim, you become the strongest power. Then holy war some Norsemen and you will be the King of England. From there its easy pickings to become Emperor!

For a bonus, you'd be playing Alfred the Great if you did this, making you the only English king who, historically, got the title "The Great."

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I love the GoT mod sometimes. Starting off as Ned at the Crowned Stag bookmark:

-Stannis got a cold and died childless. :laffo:
-Robb got murdered by Karstark's wife, I imprisoned her rear end and had Ned give her a few inches off the top in retaliation.
-Roose Bolton was an accomplice in the murder, he got booted off to the Wall and succeeded by his idiot trueborn son.
-Lacking a male heir, I legitimized Jon Snow and married him to Arianne Martell.
-Khal Drogo rolled bad traits and became a wussy weakling.
-Viserys committed suicide in exile instead of getting his crown. Gotta love the Lunatic trait. :allears:

Unfortunately, Doran got wise to what I was doing and disinherited his daughter so that I couldn't get my grandson the lordship of both the North and Dorne. :argh:

The Best one I have had was when I was playing as Robert who won his war, married Lyanna and took Cersei Lannister as a lover fathering several bastard children with her.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Have any of you gotten into situations where relationships overlapped? I've been thinking about what would happen if you married a rival or fell in love with a friend. Would they conflict with each other or would it lead to hilarious emergent gameplay?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Lord Tywin posted:

The Best one I have had was when I was playing as Robert who won his war, married Lyanna and took Cersei Lannister as a lover fathering several bastard children with her.

I had another good one where as the North, I took KL and cut off Joffrey's head, then peaced out. The War of Five Kings continued to rage on for another twenty or so years, between Renly and Tommen. Lannisters kept sending over stacks that got destroyed, then the Tyrells would get attrition-ed to death and be squashed by the next Lannister stacks. Eventually Aegon Targaryen landed, took KL and executed Tommen, followed with a month by Renly finally taking KL and becoming King, booting Aegon out to Meereen where Dany was doing her thing. Then the Two Targaryens got married, and Dany started her emancipation wars, going from Volantis, to Lys, all the way to Myr and Pentos. Just as she was finishing up Pentos, Renly declared war on my independent North, but his strength was sapped and so I handily beat his forces. Just as I was crushing Iron Throne doomstacks though, Dany decided to declare for war on the Iron Throne, and since all her troops and ships were in Pentos, she sailed right over, took KL, and imprisoned Renly and his entire family. Her and Aegon were now King and Queen. The thing I was looking most forward to though was that they had a son and two daughters, and their son was a lunatic, possessed, cruel, and ambitious. I couldn't wait to see what Aerys the III was going to do once his momma passed.

Then the mod developed released 0.7.2 with White Walkers and I was dumb and updated. :( So long to the most interesting game I had ever.

Also, Dany managed to get all of her dragons maimed and dead. Good working there, Queen.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Have any of you gotten into situations where relationships overlapped? I've been thinking about what would happen if you married a rival or fell in love with a friend. Would they conflict with each other or would it lead to hilarious emergent gameplay?

It's really easy to become your spouse's rival if you are unfaithful and refuse to end it when discovered.

• Locked thread