Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rick Perry may not go to prison but his political career just got torpedoed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/politics/rick-perry-indictment/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder 6 points an hour ago*

Every time bitcoin crashes, all I get is phone calls telling me "What's happening with Bitcoin?!?!". I am put down by my peers constantly, and it affects my mental health - especially since I spend 20-30 hours per week writing, speaking and evangelising bitcoin.

Seriously, something has to give. This thing either needs to be killed and go to zero - or - it has to succeed for the people like myself who have been "buying-the-dips" for the past 10 months, only to still be in the red after all this time. You think you've done well by buying a $700-dip from $1000, then it goes to $600. You think you've done well by buying a $600 dip from $700, then it goes to $450. You think you've done well by buying the dip at $450, then it goes to $330. At this current moment in time, bitcoin is 100% a Ponzi Scheme - with "early adopters" slowly bleeding new hopefuls of all of their money. I still believe in the idea of bitcoin as a tool to save humanity, and how desperately we as a human race need something like bitcoin to succeed and save us from rotten legacy systems, but this is just straight-up Ponzi territory now.

Where's the thanks for our shows of support? Is there really no big money out there that believes in this humanity-transforming technology? We spend a lot of our time (i.e. money), energy (i.e. money), and physical money supporting this bullshit, and all we get is red.

Condescending/patronizing "lucky-ones" who were in the right place/time a few years ago, please spare me your bullshit - you cannot empathize with the majority of people who joined this ecosystem in 2014 hoping to make a positive difference to the world.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Robawesome posted:

Every time bitcoin crashes, all I get is phone calls telling me "What's happening with Bitcoin?!?!". I am put down by my peers constantly, and it affects my mental health - especially since I spend 20-30 hours per week writing, speaking and evangelising bitcoin.

Seriously, something has to give. This thing either needs to be killed and go to zero - or - it has to succeed for the people like myself who have been "buying-the-dips" for the past 10 months, only to still be in the red after all this time. You think you've done well by buying a $700-dip from $1000, then it goes to $600. You think you've done well by buying a $600 dip from $700, then it goes to $450. You think you've done well by buying the dip at $450, then it goes to $330. At this current moment in time, bitcoin is 100% a Ponzi Scheme - with "early adopters" slowly bleeding new hopefuls of all of their money. I still believe in the idea of bitcoin as a tool to save humanity, and how desperately we as a human race need something like bitcoin to succeed and save us from rotten legacy systems, but this is just straight-up Ponzi territory now.

Where's the thanks for our shows of support? Is there really no big money out there that believes in this humanity-transforming technology? We spend a lot of our time (i.e. money), energy (i.e. money), and physical money supporting this bullshit, and all we get is red.

Condescending/patronizing "lucky-ones" who were in the right place/time a few years ago, please spare me your bullshit - you cannot empathize with the majority of people who joined this ecosystem in 2014 hoping to make a positive difference to the world.

As hilarious as it all is, I'll never forget I knew about bitcoins when they cost ~$1 and if I had just thrown in $20 for the gently caress of it I could have potentially made enough to buy a car. They were dumb as gently caress then and they are still dumb as gently caress now, but there are enough dumb as gently caress people in the world that I should have known they could be exploited for a decent return.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

As hilarious as it all is, I'll never forget I knew about bitcoins when they cost ~$1 and if I had just thrown in $20 for the gently caress of it I could have potentially made enough to buy a car. They were dumb as gently caress then and they are still dumb as gently caress now, but there are enough dumb as gently caress people in the world that I should have known they could be exploited for a decent return.

I didn't learn about bitcoins until they were already $800 or something, then $300 a couple weeks later. I could never "invest" now but the technology is neat and if I had known about Bitcoins when that guy spent 10,000 of them on two Dominos pizzas I probably would have thrown in $10 as a joke as well. It's just as likely you'd have stored your coins on Gox and lost them when they folded.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You would have lost your $20 in one of the multitude of scams and market collapses loooooong before you managed to turn it into $20,000.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mined ~150 bitcoins early on (pre-GPU) because a friend was into them, had no idea what to do with them, gave them to said friend. He bought me a (very) nice dinner at least; if I wasn't fortunate in other aspects of my life I'd probably be a little bitter.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

The head grab at the end like "Uh oh, I did a bad thing..." really makes this one.

Robawesome posted:

I have never enjoyed human suffering quite as much as since I discovered bitcoin though.

Robawesome posted:

I didn't learn about bitcoins until they were already $800 or something, then $300 a couple weeks later. I could never "invest" now but the technology is neat and if I had known about Bitcoins when that guy spent 10,000 of them on two Dominos pizzas I probably would have thrown in $10 as a joke as well. It's just as likely you'd have stored your coins on Gox and lost them when they folded.

Same, the first I heard of them was one of the first major crashes when they tanked from like 1100 down to under 700 and all I thought was "this is going to be entertaining as hell when it bubbles again"

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Aug 16, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

You would have lost your $20 in one of the multitude of scams and market collapses loooooong before you managed to turn it into $20,000.

More likely I would have forgotten my password and just lost them forever.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Bitcoin is hilarious someone should start a thread just about bitcoin so people can go talk there about bitcoin instead of in other threads.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Hahahaha that guys face. Love it so much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rapman the Cook posted:

Bitcoin is hilarious someone should start a thread just about bitcoin so people can go talk there about bitcoin instead of in other threads.
Close, but not quite passive-aggressive enough. Try it like this.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Rick Perry may not go to prison but his political career just got torpedoed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/politics/rick-perry-indictment/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It's only torpedoed if he's actually convicted of a crime. For the type of person who already supports him, the indictment is only going to strengthen their support, assuming he beats the charges.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A reasonable position, but expecting that a schadenfreude thread on the Internets will avoid conversation about bitcoin seems naive. Nonetheless, your point is taken. M'lady.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Venusian Weasel posted:

It's only torpedoed if he's actually convicted of a crime. For the type of person who already supports him, the indictment is only going to strengthen their support, assuming he beats the charges.

He's clearly been trying to build up to another presidential run with his dumb glasses schtick and now there's no way in loving hell he'll get another shot whether he gets convicted or not.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

He's clearly been trying to build up to another presidential run with his dumb glasses schtick and now there's no way in loving hell he'll get another shot whether he gets convicted or not.

yeah his presidential hopes are hosed

"CNN affiliate KVUE reported that Perry will have to report to the Travis County Jail in the capital of Austin to be booked, fingerprinted and have his photo made for a mugshot."

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Rapman the Cook posted:

Some of us aren't going to mine the bitcoin thread's depths for hilarity and appreciate the occasional snippet posted here :colbert:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Shugojin posted:

Yes, that's exactly what happened. That particular image made the rounds a few years ago when a python some idiot imported and then dumped in the Everglades when it got too big (one of the two outcomes of idiots and pythons meeting) misjudged whether it could eat an alligator.

The Burmese pythons in the Everglades actually came from 900 or so that escaped an animal warehouse that was destroyed by hurricane Andrew.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

yeah his presidential hopes are hosed

"CNN affiliate KVUE reported that Perry will have to report to the Travis County Jail in the capital of Austin to be booked, fingerprinted and have his photo made for a mugshot."

He's probably going to have a big grin on his face like Limbaugh and DeLay had when their mugshots were taken.

It's a special kind of stupid that leads you to think that wearing glasses will make others think you're smarter.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I think after the 2012 primaries, I've learned not to rule anything out. Seriously, the RNC is hard-up for candidates, and barring him from running takes away their ability to play up the "success" of Republican governance.

If he's cleared of the charges, it'll be easy for his campaign to brush off as a Democratic smear tactic. They're already attempting to get that narrative started. It's not going to take any convincing for the Republican base to buy that story, and if he's cleared it could gain traction nationally. It could actually make him a stronger candidate in the long run, since he could build up independent pity points (see the Walker recall campaign) on top of his appeal as the governor of the largest Republican state in the union.

At the moment, I think all we've got is some potential shadenfreude in the making. I will get a laugh out of his mugshot, though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Venusian Weasel posted:

I think after the 2012 primaries, I've learned not to rule anything out. Seriously, the RNC is hard-up for candidates
Oh no. The RNC convention is in my town for the next presidential election.

gently caress I hope they don't go down this path.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Venusian Weasel posted:

the "success" of Republican governance

Yeah business is booming in Texas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Automatic Slim posted:

It's a special kind of stupid that leads you to think that wearing glasses will make others think you're smarter.
People who wear glasses are smarter though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
As a Texan, I hate Rick Perry with the fury of a thousand Chernobyls going critical simultaneously. I want him to be convicted so badly I can't see straight or walk straight with my hate-boner.

The schadenfreude is/will be me when he inevitably walks away scott-free :smithicide:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Memento posted:

Yeah business is booming in Texas.

Rick Perry tried to have Jack Ohman (the cartoonist) fired from the Sacramento Bee for that cartoon. He's still working there.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

You are dumb if you really think Rick "Being oppressed by those DEMONCRATS in Austin!!!!" Perry won't be our next president, conviction or no.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

True as that might be, showing up with them one day and expecting to get instant intellectual credibility IS incredibly stupid, i.e. Rick Perry, Jenny McCarthy, etc.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

When you reach max level, you stop levelling.

:golfclap:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Peanut President posted:

You are dumb if you really think Rick "Being oppressed by those DEMONCRATS in Austin!!!!" Perry won't be our next president, conviction or no.

This, but seriously. Look at how well Santorum did last go around even though all the reasonable people knew he was bonkers. Or if you really want to be sad, how long it took "HPV vaccines cause retardation" Bachman to withdraw. She kept winning polls, but thankfully lost caucuses

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rick Perry does not have a chance in hell of being president.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

According to my data (from http://www.pickaprez.com/), this is correct.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
e: wrong thread

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

A lot of things can happen in two years. That's a geological age in politics. While, I'm inclined to agree with you, 2 or 3 candidates who
are worse in every way will replace him.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

2 or 3 candidates who are worse in every way will replace him.

Undeniably true.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rick Perry does not have a chance in hell of releasing a good dubstep track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hac5IEkCLXo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOC5QnIMxOw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Sharks have been pretty much the same for millions of years, too!

Sharks and crocs man. Their species have seen some poo poo. And killed it.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

This one is awesome because it's win-win. The big guy gets to say "Yeah, one time I punched a dude through a wall, no big deal"; and the punchee gets to say "Yeah, I got punched through a wall once, no big deal" :smug:

Also lol Rick Perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Speaking of sharks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68PQy99eck
Diver gets run over by a whale shark. The screams make it.

• Locked thread