Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Necc0 posted:

Look at all those actively managed index funds! :allears:

Unfortunately, lots of employers only offer actively managed options for 401(k)s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Powerlurker posted:

Unfortunately, lots of employers only offer actively managed options for 401(k)s.

Well, that pretty much sucks. My conspiracy theory wheel is turning inside my head. Should it not be?

What stops you from selling the actively managed funds on a quarterly/annual basis?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What would you then invest it in?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DEMAG posted:

As a huge NASCAR fan and commentator that is loving hilarious! Which driver? If I had to guess I'm going to go with Jeff Gordon. DuPont didn't work out better dump it all in 3M!

Dale Jr.

She stopped eating M&Ms because a rival driver is sponsored by them.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

canyoneer posted:

One of my finance professors had a high net worth client who only wanted to buy stock in companies with a lion in the logo.

My senior year of college, my friend and I would go to a huge craft beer store in town and buy a bunch of random craft beers, and then we'd have a new beer every friday. Since the store was really big and had a bunch of selections we had never heard of, we had to come up with some sort of criteria to choose beer.

We ended up saying, "Let's grab beers that look good, but we'll put a huge preference on beers with animals on the label".

It blows my mind that the same basic idea has been applied towards choosing stocks to invest in.

Although on reflection, that was the policy which led us to discover Lion Stout, which is a phenomenally good stout. So maybe this dude is on to something.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I got the check from Fidelity today for my 401k rollover and my uncle told me I should use it to invest in gold :laffo:

It's a great time to speculate in gold while the price is continuously falling.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devian666 posted:

Buy low, right? :v:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Devian666 posted:

For what it's worth, gold has been hovering around 1300 for a while since coming back up off it's lows in January. Still. Dumping your entire 401k into it? I mean even gold bugs like Peter Schiff and Mark Farber still only recommend like 10-20% of your portfolio in precious metals. :laffo:

Edit: Also, I am bad with money as I'm posting from the veterinarians office where we have so far spent like $3,000 over the last month on our cat's pancreatitis/diabetes problems. :smith:

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 17, 2014

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

Gold chat

I love those little mall kiosks that show up now and then with banners across them exclaiming "IT'S NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO SELL GOLD!!!" in an effort to get little old ladies or their recent heirs to hock their jewelery, because the immediate and overriding simple question is always "so why the gently caress are you buying?"

The exchange of money for precious metals makes people lose all sense of fiscal perspective for some reason.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Well, that pretty much sucks. My conspiracy theory wheel is turning inside my head. Should it not be?

What stops you from selling the actively managed funds on a quarterly/annual basis?

I work for a 401(k) provider and I would guess that most of the plans we administer offer at least an S&P 500 Index Fund. It's not always as cheap as Vanguard's, but paying an extra 20 basis points on your S&P position is not really going to have a huge impact, even compounded over 30 years.

Edit: I'm not sure what the second question means, are you asking why you can't just sell the actively managed fund and take the money and open an IRA with it? 401(k) assets belong to the plan sponsor, not the individual participant, until they take a distribution or loan. If you take a distribution before retirement age you get hit with a 10% penalty on your principal and earnings. So if you sold the actively managed fund, the money sits in cash inside the 401(k) plan and you have to choose from funds within the plan's menu.

I think I just did a really lovely job explaining that.

Blackjack2000 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 17, 2014

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

LogisticEarth posted:

For what it's worth, gold has been hovering around 1300 for a while since coming back up off it's lows in January. Still. Dumping your entire 401k into it? I mean even gold bugs like Peter Schiff and Mark Farber still only recommend like 10-20% of your portfolio in precious metals. :laffo:

Edit: Also, I am bad with money as I'm posting from the veterinarians office where we have so far spent like $3,000 over the last month on our cat's pancreatitis/diabetes problems. :smith:

True gold bugs recommend holding 100% physical gold and silver.

There is a guy on the Fatwallet forums who made a huge bet on gold a few years ago. The original post explains it better than I can:

quote:

Nov. 7, 2010 @ 9:45p

On the news of QE2 last Wednesday I couldn't control myself any longer and snapped. I used all my credit cards from 6 years of AORs and bought 140k in Gold rounds and 240k in Silver rounds at an average borrowing cost of 19.6% interest representing 80% of my available credit. I paid about 4.4% premium over spot. I'm planning 4-6 high-rolling trips to Vegas while I service the debt for the next 18 months. At which time I plan cashing out a millionaire or being "broke" and visiting a bankruptcy judge. I foresee and expect some serious AA, but I will manage to stay current with no late payments for at least 18 months - at which time I will be rich or stop 100% of my debt service.

What could go wrong with my plan?

AU - $1448 per TO - 100 Units

AG - 27.20 per TO - 8600 Units - about 600 lbs.

Spoiler: gold and silver dropped a lot, PLUS his "gambling losses" cover story turned out to be a little too real:

quote:

Mar. 14, 2013 @ 12:13p

Major update: The guns were sold at just above cost and the money was used to pay off the December purchases. As you might expect, my gambling problem has resulted in multiple major busts. This entire saga was a mistake from the beginning and will result in a complete loss of my ability to secure credit for the foreseeable future. While my net worth is extremely negative at the moment, I look forward to cleaning the slate for a fresh start by mid-summer. I wish to thank those who supported me and scorn those with ill will. Large rewards require large risks. And this one just did not pay off.. Recognizing my addiction to risk has been a major breakthrough at GA and I now understand that this board feeds that addiction.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1041394/?start=800

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Magic Underwear posted:

There is a guy on the Fatwallet forums who made a huge bet on gold a few years ago.

Best part is if you scroll down.

quote:

posted: Jun. 24, 2013 @ 6:35p
Just got back from a week in Vegas celebrating my $418k discharge. Woe is me... I guess I'll never learn.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1041394/m17820677/#m17820677

Get a four hundred thousand dollar discharge? Time for high-rolling!

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Blackjack2000 posted:

I work for a 401(k) provider and I would guess that most of the plans we administer offer at least an S&P 500 Index Fund. It's not always as cheap as Vanguard's, but paying an extra 20 basis points on your S&P position is not really going to have a huge impact, even compounded over 30 years.

Edit: I'm not sure what the second question means, are you asking why you can't just sell the actively managed fund and take the money and open an IRA with it? 401(k) assets belong to the plan sponsor, not the individual participant, until they take a distribution or loan. If you take a distribution before retirement age you get hit with a 10% penalty on your principal and earnings. So if you sold the actively managed fund, the money sits in cash inside the 401(k) plan and you have to choose from funds within the plan's menu.

I was just going over the 401(k) options at my new job and most of them had an expense ratio of around 1-1.2% (the Russell 1000 option was 1.18% versus .12% for the Vanguard equivalent). One was as high as 1.93%. Even the money market option that reported a zero yield had an expense ratio of .5%.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Powerlurker posted:

I was just going over the 401(k) options at my new job and most of them had an expense ratio of around 1-1.2% (the Russell 1000 option was 1.18% versus .12% for the Vanguard equivalent). One was as high as 1.93%. Even the money market option that reported a zero yield had an expense ratio of .5%.

I'm not sure what to tell you except that there are still lovely plans out there. I'll have to look up that Russell 1000 option, I was not even aware that there were index funds that expensive in the marketplace at all.

Separately, I happen to manage money market fund product and can tell you that even though the expense ratio is listed as 0.5%, the fund is almost certainly waiving anything in excess of the yield. You will not see an eroding balance if you put some (or all) of your balance into the mmkt option.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

CitizenKain posted:

Dale Jr.

She stopped eating M&Ms because a rival driver is sponsored by them.

DALE YEAH! Well get ready to be pestered about joining Nationwide insurace next season since National Guard dumped him.

They care about their customers because they don't have shareholders. :rolleyes:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DEMAG posted:

DALE YEAH! Well get ready to be pestered about joining Nationwide insurace next season since National Guard dumped him.

They care about their customers because they don't have shareholders. :rolleyes:

Insurance goon here and I represent that remark :argh:

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Here's one, from an article about instant delivery startups:

quote:

We collect the groceries, mung-bean pasta included, jump into Banse’s two-door BMW M3, and zoom up to the Castro neighborhood to drop them off, well before the hour of our delivery window is up.

Banse says he was able to lease his car with Instacart earnings and some savings. “I figure if I use my car all the time, I might as well enjoy it.” He’s paid by the order and the number of items, which adds up to about $30 per hour on weekends, and $25 an hour during the week.
Leasing a car equal to your gross salary, when you work doing piecework, is bad with money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Blackjack2000 posted:

20 basis points means retiring 5 months earlier to me (in 25-30 years). 5 months of free labor is most definitely a huge impact.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cuddlebottom posted:

Leasing a car equal to your gross salary, when you work doing piecework, is bad with money.

Using an M3 as a delivery vehicle is terrible with money no matter your salary.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
How much do you want to bet the guy using his M3 for grocery deliveries does not have commercial insurance? I'll bet two grocery deliveries

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

SlapActionJackson posted:

Using an M3 as a delivery vehicle is terrible with money no matter your salary.

I have an employee under me, I know his salary is about 35k, and one day his old Saturn broke down. Wasn't totalled, but a pretty expensive fix, comes into the office the next day with a brand new z4. I think oh while his car is getting fixed, he decided to rent the fanciest car from enterprise because he wanted to live a little. Nope. Somehow traded in the Saturn for a lease on the thing.

California is really bad for that poo poo, because so many of the kids out here get their parents to buy them bimmers and Mercedes, and the joneses factor steps in.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah it's terrifying the disconnect from people's salary to car price. I make six figures and it still scares me that I bought a 12k Kia.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

Yeah it's terrifying the disconnect from people's salary to car price. I make six figures and it still scares me that I bought a 12k Kia.

I still don't own a car and I'm not planning to get one. I can't make a business case for a car. Between public transport and taxis I pay less than owning a car, don't need a pay for parking and all the transport expenses are a business write off. I do live in a place where having a car is not really essential.

I have been considering buying a winery and I'd need a van for transport/sales. That's about the only time owning a vehicle would make sense to me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devian666 posted:

I still don't own a car and I'm not planning to get one. I can't make a business case for a car. Between public transport and taxis I pay less than owning a car, don't need a pay for parking and all the transport expenses are a business write off. I do live in a place where having a car is not really essential.

I have been considering buying a winery and I'd need a van for transport/sales. That's about the only time owning a vehicle would make sense to me.

Where in the world do you live where public transit is adequate and taxi response time is low, and where you'd be able to buy a winery? Because it seems like the latter would preclude the former.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Where in the world do you live where public transit is adequate and taxi response time is low, and where you'd be able to buy a winery? Because it seems like the latter would preclude the former.

I live in New Zealand. Transport is not uniformly good but it's pretty good where I'm living. Our large cities are not really very large by international standards which means a short drive by car will put you in wine country. There's also an excess of vines at the moment (good supply and reasonable prices).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My buddy makes somewhere below 50k I believe. He just picked up a 2013 Baja Taco. $32k. Holy crap. He also has a stay at home wife, a house, and a 1yr old! Boggles my mind. I'd rather have a fully funded Roth.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

My buddy makes somewhere below 50k I believe. He just picked up a 2013 Baja Taco. $32k. Holy crap. He also has a stay at home wife, a house, and a 1yr old! Boggles my mind. I'd rather have a fully funded Roth.

I knew Taco Bell was getting pricier, but :drat:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

I knew Taco Bell was getting pricier, but :drat:

this is a finely aged 2013 vintage

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Can you really put a price tag on a good taco?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Lol.

http://m.autoblog.com/2012/04/25/toyota-prices-2013-tacoma-trd-t-x-baja-from-32-990/

Did I mention it's modded? It's modded. The payment boggles my mind. I couldn't afford it (mentally), and my household income is roughly double his.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
People who have kids and buy pickups for a daily driver are, themselves, literal children. Jesus

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

oxsnard posted:

People who have kids and buy pickups for a daily driver are, themselves, literal children. Jesus

I don't really see the issue if it's in use regularly for other purposes. Like if you are a general contractor, it makes much more sense to buy a pickup and just use the one vehicle.

I agree that if you are driving a lifted BroTruck Silverado Altitude Edition that yes, that is silly as a daily but that is regardless of children.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

oxsnard posted:

Please, that's what the crew cab is for.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

oxsnard posted:

He has a work van for a daily fwiw. And an A4 (paid for).

The truck is a crew cab tho, so it's easy to toss the kid in the back!

Kyoon - the mods include a sweet lift and phat tires. That cost like 6mo of his past discretionary monies. He only took out enough life insurance to pay off the mortgage (3x salary, not 10x) cuz the payment was too much.

I r so confused :( people are bad with money.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

Many years back, I used to work some entry-level position that paid about ~$35K. A lot of my co-workers who earned the same amount of money as I did drove leased/financed Audis and Bimmers because they thought it made them look like bigshot bankers. One of them even bought a Cadillac CTS. And when it was lunch time they'd buy a coffee for lunch because it was all that they could afford.

Their car purchasing decisions were 100% about their image. It was ludicrous. And to make things worse they were all young, dumb drivers with terrible driving records, which meant that their insurance was sky-high to begin with.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 19, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

melon cat posted:

Many years back, I used to work some entry-level position that paid about ~$35K. A lot of my co-workers who earned the same amount of money as I did drove leased/financed Audis and Bimmers because they thought it made them look like bigshot bankers. One of them even bought a Cadillac CTS. And when it was lunch time they'd buy a coffee for lunch because it was all that they could afford.

Their car purchasing decisions were 100% about their image. It was ludicrous. And to make things worse they were all young, dumb drivers with terrible driving records, which meant that their insurance was sky-high to begin with.

The best part is that I've worked closely with people for over a year and still didn't know what they drove. So plenty of people don't notice, and most of those who do probably don't care.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 19, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really see the issue if it's in use regularly for other purposes. Like if you are a general contractor, it makes much more sense to buy a pickup and just use the one vehicle.

I agree that if you are driving a lifted BroTruck Silverado Altitude Edition that yes, that is silly as a daily but that is regardless of children.

What I don't get is the ~Luxury Pickup~. I saw a Lincoln Pick up the other weekend. I mean, sure it looked nice, but why would you get a pick up truck that you wouldn't' ever want to get dirty or scuff up? Isn't that paying tons of money for a super nice interior that is just really small?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jastiger posted:

What I don't get is the ~Luxury Pickup~. I saw a Lincoln Pick up the other weekend. I mean, sure it looked nice, but why would you get a pick up truck that you wouldn't' ever want to get dirty or scuff up? Isn't that paying tons of money for a super nice interior that is just really small?

Towing - boat or horse trailer. Not all pick-ups are work trucks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

A lot of other people thought it was weird too, which is why they don't sell them anymore.

And there are plenty of pick up trucks that people don't get dirty or scuff up, even the "work truck" models.

I always thought it was weird to buy a Lincoln truck because there are some really swanky interior packages for F150s these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

Yeah, it would be even more awesome if the guy bought the $35k truck to tow the $50k boat he bought the previous weekend, right?

• Locked thread