Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Louder Than Words (1997)
He did two mini-series for Dark Horse that collects his pantomime comics, "Louder Than Words" in 1997 and "Action Speaks" in 2000. I bought several of those issues off eBay and they just arrived. I'm going to scan random strips for this thread, because let's face it, the world needs more Sergio.

And if you ever find any Sergio books in comic book shops, including Groo, I highly recommend buying them.

(TIMG'd because this one has cartoonishly-drawn boobies)

:420:

This comic was published in 1997. In today's world, I don't think this will get good reviews.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

This comic was published in 1997. In today's world, I don't think this will get good reviews.
Replace all the cameras with cellphones and it becomes dark but topical.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy]

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It's quite a shame to see a wheat field infected by stinking smut like that.

Pibgorn

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Hmm, that's the same thing that Gocomics tried with this strip.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Would you like a comic by Pertti "Fingerpori" Jarla on a Finnish humor band that none of you has a loving idea of?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Never mind "how long has this flashback been going on," how long have they been in this loving field?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

gently caress off, Scott Adams, I'll have a good day if I want. Your argument doesn't even make sense.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Is this a snowballing joke?

Evil Mastermind posted:

...how long have they been in this loving field?

More to the point,

quote:

...how long have they been loving in this field?

Wall O' Phantom Classic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Would you like a comic by Pertti "Fingerpori" Jarla on a Finnish humor band that none of you has a loving idea of?
That you even have to ask.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
If ZNJ had done the No Code storyline first, it would have been a thing worth reading.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Doctor Goat posted:

If ZNJ had done the No Code storyline first, it would have been a thing worth reading.

Mm. No, not really.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

If it had been written well, flowed properly, or was interesting in any way at all, it would have been worth reading.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nah, it actually reads pretty good now. I'm a fan.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Nope. Art's still ugly, characters still unlikeable, and No Code is a modified tracing of Lil Wayne.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 17, 1956)

Pogo looks into the pot and sees a Popeye cartoon. :shrug:

MEANWHILE IN CHICAGO!

In the last convention vote to date that went more than one ballot, Stevenson's strongest foe in the primaries, Tennessee Senator Estes Kefauver, edged out his nearest competitor in an open floor fight for the Democratic Vice Presidential candidacy. After a week of compromises on civil rights and segregation to keep the south in line, Kefauver (who was a vocal civil rights advocate, more so than Stevenson) gave them blinding headaches. The quote to take home was "This leaves the situation in Mississippi in grave doubt." And the quote comes from the Mississippi Governor James P. Coleman.

Kefauver's nearest opponent was some wet-behind-the-ears kid named John Kennedy. Nobody had really heard of him at this point, but dammit if he didn't almost SHOCK THE WORLD. If a number of states hadn't ditched the "favorite son" bullshit that was still popular during the second ballot, things would've broken very differently.

Peanuts: Year One (February 26-28, 1951)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RandomFerret posted:

Nah, it actually reads pretty good now. I'm a fan.

I think the early strips set the bar for quality so low that you might be mistaking lack of revulsion for enjoyment.

E: Speaking of revulsion, it's baaaaAAAaaaaAAAck!

Intelligent Life

Plus the last couple Francis strips as a palate cleanser of sorts.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

What an odd phrase to paint on your wall.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Spy vs. Spy

Sergio Aragones: Louder Than Words / Actions Speak!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Doubnle psts because I dozed off last night before I could get these up.

I liked Bleeker better when it was not about Bleeker.

Pickles assumes men have thoughts to be read.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Wanamingo posted:

sInspector Danger's Crime Quiz

YOU STOL THAT NECKLACE

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Nenonen posted:

Would you like a comic by Pertti "Fingerpori" Jarla

Yes.

I don't really care how that sentence ends, honestly.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Sergio Aragones is the mack daddy.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Howard Beale posted:

Sergio Aragones is the mack daddy.

There was another Luann edit where Sergio was inserted in. It was a prom queen storyline, and the girl who won was actually named "Aragones".

Did anyone save that?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Kind of a weird thing to say, Mary, but OK. I suspect the writer was stuck and was like "gently caress it I'll just have Mary say 'life's strange' and move on."

Rex Morgan MD

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 28, 1927)

Peanuts (August 19, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

A kill fee is a negotiated payment from a newspaper or magazine to a freelancer if an article is canceled before it goes to the final edition. That's what it means in real world, but I'm more interested in what Les thinks it means.

Popeye finds himself in a classic "love triangle that is really a love stick".

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 26-27, 1925)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Now comes the kidney theft.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Pretty good, Wiley. I smiled like just that guy. Oh yeah, I checked it's a thing.

Heavenly Nostrils

Unicorn! :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/16/2003

They only do that when they want food. And, at first, I thought she was praying or something.

Zits

I have no piercings, but that actually sounds like a good idea for pierced ears. The hook barb would probably be a problem though. That I have personal experience with. :v:

Kevin & Kell

Great job kid. Now it's going to die horribly when it slowly drowns as the log sinks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Oh hey nobody's posted Luann in a while, probably because it's boring. So here's the only one that's remotely funny from the last week and only if you read it wrong

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The "wooly bugger"? :crossarms:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a real fish fly

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

This might be the most tellingly Scandinavian clue yet.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Competitive pickiness?

Heathcliff

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac Competitive pickiness?

This might be the best individual Cul-de-sac I've seen. Petey's face in the third panel is fantastic.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

DoubleDonut posted:

This might be the best individual Cul-de-sac I've seen. Petey's face in the third panel is fantastic.

I feel quite the opposite! It feels too comic-strippy to me with a scene change for a line of dialogue. In my opinion a better strip is this one:

e: on reflection interpreting the second panel art as a flashback separate from the dialogue dramatically improves the flow of the sandwich one

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Kind of a weird thing to say, Mary, but OK. I suspect the writer was stuck and was like "gently caress it I'll just have Mary say 'life's strange' and move on."

We're either in for a week of MW moralizing on how people should listen to their gut and be open to just knowing stuff through weird, unexplainable spiritual connections, or a wretched flashback like the one where she was young and homeless in NYC.

Bleah.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

Ok, I cannot be the only one who hears Loud Howard from the Dilbert cartoon when that idiot talks, can I?

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"Okay Obama, now you get a few kicks in to his ribs while he's down. And feel free to tromp on his balls, he don't need those now anyway."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

I knew it was only a matter of time before the expressionless stare that all the characters in Andertoons have would actually fit the strip. It was either going to be something like this or a Near-Death Experience Comix.

Pooch Café

That's kind of a clunky setup, isn't it? It looks more like a recap from a previous strip.

Ballard Street

Roger has some impressive knee strength. 90% of his body weight is hanging out that window.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
October, 1987.

Bloom County

That one really confused me as a kid.

Calvin And Hobbes will be updated with larger versions once GoComics fixes some glitches.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

October, 1987.

Bloom County

That one really confused me as a kid.

I honestly thought Mort Svenson was a real cartoonist, but nope! Breathed actually drew this in another style.

• Locked thread