Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Varinn posted:

A completely different system in a completely different genre that also uses the word durability, you really turned this around on him, columbo
Varinn why the sudden harshness ?? Just pointing out a game for him that I believe pulls off the same mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

How about looping the starter planet, digging several screens deep around the planet in several holes all around it, and not finding copper but instead gold and iron. Noooooo.

Yes, yes, WELCOME TO MY HELL :unsmigghh: Though at least when this happened to me constantly back in stable, I was allowed to dig up all that iron and gold :smith: The last I proper played when I FINALLY made that copper pick, BAM straight into gold pick.

Also, this does not deserve to be lost on the prior page.

Vadun posted:

My favorite bug from the nightly? Silver pickaxes cannot mine silver ore

EDIT: vvv I have never even PLAYED a Fire Emblem, but even I know it's totally different systems and situations compared to "repair your pickaxe". Also, don't fall down the hole of justifying your response with 3 posts or more, trust me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 16, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

oooooh sure showed that n00b rekt

oh wait

ooooooooh poo poo he was talking about all the games that exist that have weapon degradation! That means all games with weapon degradation could be used as examples! ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy goooooood!

:v:

Thats why I said it was a different system from a different genre. It'd be stupid to assume that he meant "any time a bar on a weapon goes down in any game in any genre" instead of "In any mechanically similar fashion" since theres a shitload of games in this genre and they all have tool degradation. reading comprehension

Jackard posted:

Varinn why the sudden harshness ?? Just pointing out a game for him that I believe pulls off the same mechanic.

its not even remotely similar, tho. fire emblem doesn't have repairs, and the durability exists to force the player to manage it as a meta-resource between maps, and also stock a wide variety of items. games like starbound and minecraft use the same phrase, but the mechanic is meant to be a resource sink or a maximum distance you can go from your 'base'. theyre wildly different

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Are you real?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Caveman tier would own if you were a legit loving caveman during it.

That would be loving amazing. Have each tier analogous to some level of mankind's historical development somehow, or have it "themed" around it. Early on you wear animal skins and use stone weapons. Copper hits and you get some decent tools etc. And it grows from there with "Modernish poo poo" being tier 7 or so.

Could even fit in "Oh but my Iron-age age guy wouldnt have a jetpack!" by giving them some bizarre winged shoulder-apparatus ala some long forgotten Greek or Roman inventor.

Wouldnt fit the whole space-ship thing though sadly :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like a good idea for a TC though!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

That would be loving amazing. Have each tier analogous to some level of mankind's historical development somehow, or have it "themed" around it. Early on you wear animal skins and use stone weapons. Copper hits and you get some decent tools etc. And it grows from there with "Modernish poo poo" being tier 7 or so.

Could even fit in "Oh but my Iron-age age guy wouldnt have a jetpack!" by giving them some bizarre winged shoulder-apparatus ala some long forgotten Greek or Roman inventor.

Wouldnt fit the whole space-ship thing though sadly :(

learn some basic unity and get good at making screenshots and you've got a fortune waiting for you on Steam Early Access

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Dandywalken posted:

First boss is a monolith you have to hit with a bone club.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Varinn posted:

Thats why I said it was a different system from a different genre. It'd be stupid to assume that he meant "any time a bar on a weapon goes down in any game in any genre" instead of "In any mechanically similar fashion" since theres a shitload of games in this genre and they all have tool degradation. reading comprehension

its not even remotely similar, tho. fire emblem doesn't have repairs, and the durability exists to force the player to manage it as a meta-resource between maps, and also stock a wide variety of items. games like starbound and minecraft use the same phrase, but the mechanic is meant to be a resource sink or a maximum distance you can go from your 'base'. theyre wildly different
... :stare: :can:

So, can you name me a game that takes the same approach to durability that Starbound does and succeeds where they did not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm going to watch this play out because otherwise I'll just beat the beehive and make things worse somehow. Unless someone has other good Starbound goodness such as meltdowns and tears to post.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

First boss is a monolith you have to hit with a bone club.

Or some random, arbitrary object/piece of decor from the last tier of tech. A loving super space fridge or air conditioer that plummets to earth, or some poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dark Souls 2 has weapon durability and other than the fact that it degrades twice as fast as it should on PC because Fromsoft is terrible at ports, it's done okay.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Dark Cloud had durability but that mechanic nearly ruined an otherwise fantastic game for me.
I can't think of a game where it wasn't poo poo.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Equipment durability is a time or money sink mechanic, so basically any game it's present in will either be so inconsequential that you hardly notice, or it's annoying as crap. The Diablo games have item durability, and all it does is force you back to town if for some reason you didn't already fill your inventory with loot. I do think durability in the minecraft-likes is a bit more annoying, mostly cause those games are focused on exploration and don't always feature an easy way to get around if you need to.

Overall, it seems like a kind of antiquated mechanic, but since it's in most MMO's, I'm guessing it has something to do with the whole Skinner box addiction thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Degradation was a good thing in the Final Fantasy Legend games. Especially FFL1 because a bug let you consume a Punch attack and as long as you kept using the next Punch in your inventory they'd all hit at maximum damage (which is really loving huge in FFL 1&2 because less uses left = more damage from martial arts attacks). :eng101:

e: While this isn't as dumb as the last derail, it's dumb enough to make me miss arguments about birdtits and cumguns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SaGa Frontier 2 has a system you'd never notice if no one told you about it where broken equipment turns into chips that you can then turn into really good equipment when you get enough of them.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Hi I know next to nothing about this game except that the devs "took the money and ran" and "no real updates in months" and "artists and idea guys trying to be coders" but I've not really heard anything of substance about this game except that it's kind of like Terraria and it's made buy the guys who published Risk of Rain which I enjoy, can anyone clear things up for me?? Thanks and god bless

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I liked it in fallout new vegas because it encouraged you to use a variety of weapons and reinforced the feeling of scavenging for resources.

The problem with the degradation system in starbound is that it adds nothing whatsoever to the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Hi I know next to nothing about this game except that the devs "took the money and ran" and "no real updates in months" and "artists and idea guys trying to be coders" but I've not really heard anything of substance about this game except that it's kind of like Terraria and it's made buy the guys who published Risk of Rain which I enjoy, can anyone clear things up for me?? Thanks and god bless

Made by the guys who published Risk of Rain, not the guys who made it. The head honcho did some art for Terraria on contract. After the first few early access builds they decided to take the money and set up a studio in London, which has taken months to accomplish.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 has a system you'd never notice
Isn't this every system in any SaGa Frontier?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

well they took the money and ran to an office in london to work on the game, if that helps

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Yah they also have some of the worst PR I've ever seen.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Falsum posted:

Yah they also have some of the worst PR I've ever seen.

People keep saying this but I still don't get where they are coming from. If we had 'the worst PR' the game wouldn't even be half as successful as it is.

If you're attributing 'worst PR' to people getting upset because of a lack of stable update, there's really not much more we can do about. What can we do other than work towards the update? We literally cannot be any more transparent or clear on what we're working on. And we can't control what people say in their steam reviews (nor should we).

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 16, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supernorn posted:

People keep saying this but I still don't get where they are coming from. If we had 'the worst PR' the game wouldn't even be half as successful as it is.

If you're attributing 'worst PR' to people getting upset because of a lack of stable update, there's really not much more we can do about. What can we do other than work towards the update? We literally cannot be any more transparent or clear on what we're working on. And we can't control what people say in their steam reviews (nor should we).

Look, your PR is worse than anything Phil Fish has ever said and you're just gonna have to live with it, I'm sorry but that's life.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they say it enough maybe it'll become true

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

RareAcumen posted:

Look, your PR is worse than anything Phil Fish has ever said

Please start linking quotes or something because there is no way that is even possible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't really think that's true.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Supernorn posted:

PR doesn't stand for "pre-release marketing" since I think that is what you're implying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Look, your PR is worse than anything Phil Fish has ever said and you're just gonna have to live with it, I'm sorry but that's life.

Please, for the love of god stop taking that seriously.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Devour or Fire posted:

PR doesn't stand for "pre-release marketing" since I think that is what you're implying.

Starbound would probably have had a lot better PR if they had a much less close relationship with their fans and customers.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Dear Chucklefish

Please become code-hermits.

Love, Me

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Devour or Fire posted:

dang, you're really butthurt about that :10bux: aren't you?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
...an anagram of Novakid is Dovakin.

I am now convinced that their inception is purely down to someone thinking what a funny word Dovahkiin (or however it's spelt) is.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

whenever a dev is releasing intentionally lovely "roadmap" screenshots so that a bunch of people can talk about how mad it's 'probably making those other bad fans' and jockey for dickridin', it's probably a sign they need to step back from their twitter account imo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rrussom posted:

Dear Chucklefish

Please become code-hermits.

Love, Me

It would at least shield them from people like this:

Cryohazard posted:

...an anagram of Novakid is Dovakin.

I am now convinced that their inception is purely down to someone thinking what a funny word Dovahkiin (or however it's spelt) is.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Some people would prefer we hide behind a PR spokesman and filter everything we say and think, rather than engage with our community as human beings. I don't agree with that at all, and I think those same people would complain about us not 'engaging' with the community enough. There's literally no way to win.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Squeegy posted:

It would at least shield them from people like this:

Yes, I am clearly the worst poster on this page.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cryohazard posted:

Sorry, you were just the closest example at hand.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Cryohazard posted:

No, I'm fairly sure that IM the worst poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rrussom posted:

No, I'm fairly sure that IM the worst poster.

Now, now. We can all be the worst poster.

• Locked thread