Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I just started DD2 but it seems like there's no Winged Slayer sword move :(

It's just not a Laharl/Etna/Flonne game without that move to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's probably still a day or two too early for anyone to be able to make use of these, but here are a few tips about the postgame in A Promise Revisited. They're written for the perspective of someone who's already played the PS3 version, but they should still be helpful if it's your first time. I don't have any min-maxy advice on how to get 1% more RES out of your Blademaster or whatever, but I can tell you a few important things I had to figure out myself the first time around:

Before you start on the postgame, I suggest you blitz through a New Game+ run once to unlock a specific generic class. It's a pain in the arse, but their Evilities and unique skills are useful, and if you put it off and then decide you want to unlock them later it becomes a way bigger pain in the arse.

Class tier 4 isn't the end of the line for weapon skills anymore. In addition to the ones in the Character World, there's one last set available to tier 6 Samurai, Gunners, Archers, Bouncers, Heavy Knights and Combat Suits at the Evility Trainer. (These were also in the PS3 version as DLC.)

It pays to push the limit of what you can clear in terms of Extra Maps: each one gives you 20, 30, 50 or more bonus points to assign in the Cheat Shop, so don't just grind your Thief straight up to level 4000 and do them all in a row.

Thanks to that, the Cheat Shop lets you basically ignore Statisticians if you want to; once it's fully powered up, putting all your bonus points into EXP is equivalent to a free level 700 Statistician for all your characters. (And up to level 900 if you're willing to give up some or all of your Mana and HL.)

The secret Character World Mystery Gate now always spawns on the first floor you clear all the geo-blocks on, no matter which floor that is. It doesn't seem like the floor number has any effect on what kind of Mystery Room you get, but I didn't test that very thoroughly.

There's content hidden behind unlocking all the secret characters, and there are two that are very easy to miss. One of them was in the vanilla version; you have to meet him (randomly and repeatedly) in Innocent Towns in the Item World. The other was originally DLC; you unlock her by clearing 10 floors in a Pirate Trial.

This is unchanged from the PS3 version, but remember that when you're torturing prisoners for hidden chests, it's decided what you get when they tell you where the chest is. Therefore, it won't help to reset the map after you open the chest, or save before you enter the map and reload, but if you're after a particular thing and know what kind of prisoner you need, you only need one of them if you save and reload before torturing them, or after torturing them but before you get the chest location. This is mostly only relevant when you're trying to unlock the Land of Carnage; I wrote a more in-depth guide to that whole process back in February, and just updated it with some new information. Crucially, we now know that Meowkin Pirates can now spawn on any floor from 26 onward, which is huge.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 15, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I start the DLC on the vita version? It has new jobs and stuff which I would like to try but I'm assuming you have to beat the game first.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Aquila posted:

I just started DD2 but it seems like there's no Winged Slayer sword move :(

It's just not a Laharl/Etna/Flonne game without that move to me.

Magic rules DD2.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo, the framerate tanks in Item General stages. Does eliminating geo panels fix that?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Holy poo poo, the framerate tanks in Item General stages. Does eliminating geo panels fix that?

I think it's the combination of stage size and the three exit gates, because my framerate does better when those are offscreen.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Hm. In D4V, it seems as though Rutile can punch enemies two spaces away. Is this some kind of wierd glitch, or?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dis posted:

Hm. In D4V, it seems as though Rutile can punch enemies two spaces away. Is this some kind of wierd glitch, or?

Does she have a Double Slap equipped?

Because that weapon has 2 range.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dr Pepper posted:

Does she have a Double Slap equipped?

Because that weapon has 2 range.

Jesus, I'm an idiot. But hey, at least I can admit that. Thanks.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Encountered a strange glitch playing D4V today. I Triple Striked a rogue standing on the chain in 3-1, and somehow she got knocked off the map to the side. I couldn't get my cursor onto her or anything, but i w as able to target her with a gun. it was VERY weird.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Small warning: Save before interacting with the map editor. One time when i tried to go into the parts store in there the game just flat-out crashed on me, throwing me back one mission.

Also: It's a lovely map editor with only prefab parts available.

Mr.Dr.Jr.
Nov 11, 2013
HOLY HELL! just found out about the cheat that lets you get all post-game items instantly!
So helpful.
I'm only on chapter 5 and I already have all the DLC characters!!

On the Title menu, Highlight continue and press Triangle, Square, Circle, Triangle, Square, Circle, X
Then select your save!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

FractalSandwich posted:

Before you start on the postgame, I suggest you blitz through a New Game+ run once to unlock a specific generic class.

Which one? Why do you need a NG+ for it?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Androids. You have do a New Game+ because that's just how they set it up; you only get the bill to unlock them once you start a second cycle.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Android.

Because being in a NG+ is the requirement for unlocking it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

HOLY HELL! just found out about the cheat that lets you get all post-game items instantly!
So helpful.

On the Title menu, Highlight continue and press Triangle, Square, Circle, Triangle, Square, Circle, X
Then select your save!

Ooh I did this and it actually unlocks all the stuff in your base you don't have yet. I have character world in episode 4 :v: also was able to pass a bill to recruit Flonne.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
What the gently caress is with the Prism Rangers? Why are their growth rates so high? It was weird enough when it was just Prism Red, but the generics have ultra-high growth rates too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

King of Solomon posted:

What the gently caress is with the Prism Rangers? Why are their growth rates so high? It was weird enough when it was just Prism Red, but the generics have ultra-high growth rates too.

Their unwavering commitment to bad television programming for the preschool demographic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

They were dlc characters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They were dlc characters.

I know that. The thing that's weird about it, though, is that even among the DLC characters their growth rates are very high.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

So helpful.

Then select your save!

Is this for DD2 or the Vita version of 4?

Just checked out the demo version of 4 on the Vita. I only have vague memories of when I played it on the PS3 but it looks like it has a shitload of powerful and interesting evilities available, and a lot more features too. And a cheat shop!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Edit: Nevermind, figured the dlc dudes would be bills.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Speedball posted:

Is this for DD2 or the Vita version of 4?
A little bit of googling suggests it's a D3 feature.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mithaldu posted:

A little bit of googling suggests it's a D3 feature.

That code also works on D4V. It's pretty cool, and also how I got access to the DLC characters (such as the Prism Rangers) before finishing chapter 4.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 16, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah in D4 vita it actually unlocks more than it did in D3 Vita too! I'm trying not to use all the DLC guys because the fights are only level 25 so you can recruit them pretty much instantly.

Priere seems really good as a magi change weapon, her evility gives an extra turn if you manage to get a kill with a normal attack. Adell has been strong in previous games. Stella seems broken even with only the default ability.
I'm hoping the alternate routes from the parallel world guy contain a Trap to steal like last time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah in D4 vita it actually unlocks more than it did in D3 Vita too! I'm trying not to use all the DLC guys because the fights are only level 25 so you can recruit them pretty much instantly.

Priere seems really good as a magi change weapon, her evility gives an extra turn if you manage to get a kill with a normal attack. Adell has been strong in previous games. Stella seems broken even with only the default ability.
I'm hoping the alternate routes from the parallel world guy contain a Trap to steal like last time.

The DLC fights scale to your level, or probably more accurately, Val's level. So there's that too.

At least now the hardest part of item duping is getting the Puppy Paw Stick itself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

At least now the hardest part of item duping is getting the Puppy Paw Stick itself.

More info please? What changed between D4 and D4V?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone figured out a way to avoid/minimize the item world slow down in Disgaea 4 Vita?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

More info please? What changed between D4 and D4V?

The Power Armor class has a skill that turns them neutral for some reason, and if you have the PPS (which you get from interrogating a lvl 1000+ Nekomata) you can use that to kill them and try to duplicate the item. Rather than putting it on someone and hoping to god a clone shows up in the Class World.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Do I have to pass Flonne's bill to unlock the DLC bills? I did the unlock thing but as far as bills go she's the only one that showed up so I assume that's how it works.

Edit: Okay I went and looked at my drat Dimensional Gate and it's all there instead. Nevermind!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 17, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ohh that explains why the DLC was easy if it scales. Even though Val is leveling up though they still join at 25? Maybe it's also tied to the chapter you're in or something. I think normally they're supposed to be level 100.

Guys Stella/Desco magichange is crazy. Desco gets +20%ATK for any allies nearby. Stella gets +25% to every stat, and lowers the other unit's stats by 25%. Stella can also use this on an enemy.

So if Stella is standing in the middle of 3 allies and an enemy, she gets +60% Attack, +75% every stat (combined +135% to attack), the enemy gets -25% including Defense and Speed meaning you're even hitting them harder. Stella's second evility also reduces the fire defense of everyone on the map, and her 2nd and 3rd special skills are fire based. On top of this Desco's last evility gives her a 50% attack boost at all times.

BTW Stella's last skill is a 3x3 square like Big Bang. She gets it normally from leveling up.

I think I know which character I'm leveling

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ohh that explains why the DLC was easy if it scales. Even though Val is leveling up though they still join at 25? Maybe it's also tied to the chapter you're in or something. I think normally they're supposed to be level 100.

Guys Stella/Desco magichange is crazy. Desco gets +20%ATK for any allies nearby. Stella gets +25% to every stat, and lowers the other unit's stats by 25%. Stella can also use this on an enemy.

So if Stella is standing in the middle of 3 allies and an enemy, she gets +60% Attack, +75% every stat (combined +135% to attack), the enemy gets -25% including Defense and Speed meaning you're even hitting them harder. Stella's second evility also reduces the fire defense of everyone on the map, and her 2nd and 3rd special skills are fire based. On top of this Desco's last evility gives her a 50% attack boost at all times.

BTW Stella's last skill is a 3x3 square like Big Bang. She gets it normally from leveling up.

I think I know which character I'm leveling

I remember using DESCO almost exclusively as a weapon on the PS3. I didn't do any DLC so I can't speak for them, but Magicchange was good on PS3 D4, I imagine it's just as awesome if not more now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

The Power Armor class has a skill that turns them neutral for some reason, and if you have the PPS (which you get from interrogating a lvl 1000+ Nekomata) you can use that to kill them and try to duplicate the item. Rather than putting it on someone and hoping to god a clone shows up in the Class World.

Wow, that is a lot easier. Thanks. ("For some reason"? That sounds like it was designed with item duping in mind.)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Wow, that is a lot easier. Thanks. ("For some reason"? That sounds like it was designed with item duping in mind.)

That's the only reason I can think of. The skills generic classes get are pretty good in general.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I imagine its for getting rid of the easy duping from the launch PS3 version. It was stupid easy to dupe (you just needed Hell, you sold an item and bought it back a ton of times). This way is probably longer, but at the same time with the cheat shop and everything this is most likely a pretty equal amount of time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Found a shop in the item world that lets me buy promo tickets which unlock X Dimension maps.

Got to do my favorite thing in a Disgaea game after though: jump into the 255+ item world you shouldn't have yet, find a deathblow panel on the way in, and take a whole bunch of level 1 guys to level 75 or so and unlock like 3 classes at once. Now my thief can also unlock chests in there instantly so I can get stuff I shouldn't have for a long time too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My brother had Stella pretty much solo the later half of the Fuuka+Desco story mode. She's hilariously broken

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm still with Team Rutile. Catly Rave is just way to satisfying to use.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any Makai Kingdom characters in D4V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any Makai Kingdom characters in D4V?

Pram's in it!

• Locked thread