Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Austrian mook posted:

but what if i don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a computer? What then?

Get a time machine and travel to the year 2014 where gaming computers all cost well under 900 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

Get a time machine and travel to the year 2014 where gaming computers all cost well under 900 bucks.

That's too much money

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Austrian mook posted:

That's too much money

Well, its less than the "thousands" you first cited.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Well, its less than the "thousands" you first cited.

I would never post with hyperbole. Ever. It's not who I am

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Austrian mook posted:

That's too much money

There's a very good chance that the PC you're using right now is powerful enough to play most games with greater detail than the 360 and PS3.

Obviously you can disregard this if you're using a phone or a tablet or a Dreamcast or some other drat thing. But "I need thousands of dollars to play PC games!" is a big fat myth.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

There's a very good chance that the PC you're using right now is powerful enough to play most games with greater detail than the 360 and PS3.

Obviously you can disregard this if you're using a phone or a tablet or a Dreamcast or some other drat thing. But "I need thousands of dollars to play PC games!" is a big fat myth.

To be fair, many people only have laptops even if they aren't just using tablets and phones, so getting into PC gaming would include the costs of building a PC and buying a monitor. It's still ridiculous to say you need to drop $2000 or something, but it's still going to look like a big cost to many people that already have devices that can do all the things a good PC can do other than play new videogames.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 16, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

To be fair, many people only have laptops even if they aren't just using tablets and phones, so getting into PC gaming would include the costs of building a PC and buying a monitor. It's still a big exaggeration to say you need to drop $2000 or something, but it's still going to look like a big cost to many people that already have devices that can do all the things a good PC can do other than play new videogames.

Desktops are cheaper than laptops. And New egg has already assembled PC with decent specs that are good for their asking price.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Regardless of how much things actually cost, a lot of people don't do research, and many don't think they need a desktop anymore, some not even owning a laptop in favor of tablets. I'm not really arguing price, I'm just saying that as time passes, assuming that a random person already has a desktop in their home becomes a less safe bet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Playing Wonderful 101 today and I just accidentally discovered that ZR lets you see the characters eyes when theyre talking. Ive owned this game since day 1.

Edit: Theyre clearly reading cue cards

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sarchasm posted:

Who cares, why are we even having this stupid discussion anyway.

At the end of the day I could less of a gently caress about "greater detail", especially when most multiplats are so poorly unoptimized on PC anyway, I'd rather just play on the platforms they where obviously designed for and just get exclusives on the PC.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gutcruncher posted:

Playing Wonderful 101 today and I just accidentally discovered that ZR lets you see the characters eyes when theyre talking. Ive owned this game since day 1.

Edit: Theyre clearly reading cue cards

There are many games/movies about which I praise the little things. "If they didn't do this nobody would notice but they did and it's wonderful."

W101 is 95% those little things and 5% an awesome sentai beat-em-up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U Discussion - Buy a PC instead!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wii U Discussion - Buy a PC instead!!

Oh yeah well does PC have Miiverse? :smug:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Oh okay then.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You can't draw stupid doodles on the website. Inferior port. :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alteisen posted:

At the end of the day I could less of a gently caress about "greater detail", especially when most multiplats are so poorly unoptimized on PC anyway, I'd rather just play on the platforms they where obviously designed for and just get exclusives on the PC.

What does this mean. It looks better and runs better and if you don't need to buy everything on launch day you get to avoid paying $50-$60 for every brand new copy of a game. You can hook it up to your tv and play with an xbox controller. Nowadays with few exceptions "poorly optimized" means "it runs as badly as the console version until you run the fanpatch or spend literally one minute googling and using a guide to edit the .ini". And you can use mods!

Anyway the Wii U owns don't forget to take advantage of the $15 off deal for buying a game with a $1 reservation card at Target, it expires tomorrow. You can stack it with pricematching for mad savings, got 3D World for $35 and Tropical Freeze for $28.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tender Bender posted:

What does this mean. It looks better and runs better and if you don't need to buy everything on launch day you get to avoid paying $50-$60 for every brand new copy of a game. You can hook it up to your tv and play with an xbox controller. Nowadays with few exceptions "poorly optimized" means "it runs as badly as the console version until you run the fanpatch or spend literally one minute googling and using a guide to edit the .ini". And you can use mods!

And what exactly is runs badly for you.

If I need to tinker with a game to that extent then its probably not a good game to begin with!

And mods I've never cared about mods on PC games and have no intention of starting now, there's some real winners, stuff like Hoxhud in Payday 2 for example but to get those golden trophies you need to wade through and endless sea of poo poo and I am not interested nor do I have the time for it.

I'd rather do one of a kind stuff that is only available on PC than buy something just because of something dumb like a higher framerate or I can turn into Iron Man.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Alteisen posted:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So if I was lukewarm on Sunshine but found Galaxy 1 and 2 to be worth buying a Wii for, how do 3d Land and World stack up? I could care less about "innovation" and new shiny features, but the combination of Mario + another Donkey Kong Country game really have me tempted to scoop up a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo for $200. And if a 2Ds is only 90 bucks refurbished...

Anyone know if a Wii U would work with a european tv? I know that the system itself isn't region free, but I'm curious if the HDTV-ness eliminates the PAL problems that plagued older systems. I spend half of every year migrating between Ireland and america, so I'm hoping there's a way to work around it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

So if I was lukewarm on Sunshine but found Galaxy 1 and 2 to be worth buying a Wii for, how do 3d Land and World stack up? I could care less about "innovation" and new shiny features, but the combination of Mario + another Donkey Kong Country game really have me tempted to scoop up a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo for $200. And if a 2Ds is only 90 bucks refurbished...

Anyone know if a Wii U would work with a european tv? I know that the system itself isn't region free, but I'm curious if the HDTV-ness eliminates the PAL problems that plagued older systems. I spend half of every year migrating between Ireland and america, so I'm hoping there's a way to work around it.

Mario 3D World is incredible (Land too but this is a Wii U thread!). It isnt a 3D Mario in the 64 or Galaxy sense, but more like a 2D Mario that's in 3D.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
3D world is a drat good Mario title. It feels more like Galaxy than Sunshine; almost all the levels are a linear progression from start point to flag pole with various platforming obstacles in between rather than exploring around a level more freely. Its got a great selection of powerups, the level design is topnotch, and "collect all the various shiny bits" is right at the perfect difficulty. Getting to the end of 90% of the levels is a cake walk. Finding all the green stars and stamps is more of a challenge. Also, the co-op is great if you've got friends along.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Narcissus1916 posted:

You really don't need both 3D Land and 3D World, just 3D World. Besides, playing 3D Land on a 2DS eliminates the one and only thing it has that really differentiates it from 3D World.

The two games share quite a bit of levels & concepts, except 3D World gets all the cool poo poo and 3D Land just gets the gimmicky/frustrating poo poo. One recurring theme in 3D Land has Mario being chased by a "shadow Mario" throughout levels. Combine that with invisible/disappearing floors full of pitfalls, and... I'm way too old to be throwing game cartridges across my living room. Yes, I really did that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
3D world DOES still have Bowser as antagonist though. That's a huge negative for some people.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

3D world DOES still have Bowser as antagonist though. That's a huge negative for some people.

Well that's a stupid negative because the final bowser fight is rad as gently caress :colbert:

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

greatn posted:

Which people? Mario bros. 2 separatists?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The escapist magazine:

Oh also multiplayer doesn't add anything apparently.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

greatn posted:

Oh also multiplayer doesn't add anything apparently.

I broadly agree with this. It's OK that it's there but it's not particularly good and doesn't add much. It also seems to encourage competition rather than co-operation, which makes it pretty annoying to play for friends who don't play as many videogames as others and get left behind. Plus, nobody wants to play it because Mario Kart exists.

Another reason not to play it is that Rayman Legends is 50% off in the PAL eShop right now and with Digital Deluxe I only paid £6.99 for it and Rayman Legends co-op is the best.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I am so loving mad that Mario is still going up against Bowser when the true villain is the patriarchy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Make Super Bowser 3D World DLC where Bowser teams up with Mario to defeat Wart or Smithy or whatever

you're welcome nintendo

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
They're making Captain Toad, and that's good enough for me :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PC gamers love shoving their superiority complex down everyone else's throats.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Meldonox posted:

I am so loving mad that Mario is still going up against Bowser when the true villain is the patriarchy.

Mario leaves his male privilege at the door.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Kirios posted:

PC gamers love shoving their superiority complex down everyone else's throats.
That video card that costs as much as a console doesn't justify itself, you know.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

enojy posted:

The two games share quite a bit of levels & concepts, except 3D World gets all the cool poo poo and 3D Land just gets the gimmicky/frustrating poo poo. One recurring theme in 3D Land has Mario being chased by a "shadow Mario" throughout levels.

Mario gets chased by shadow Marios all the time in 3D World. They're called Miiverse replays and I love racing them. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really liked the Shadow Mario levels in 3D Land, and I kind of missed them in World. They just add a lot of pressure to the levels.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Super Mario 3D World is absolutely worth buying a Wii U for! It's more similar to Galaxy 2 than Galaxy 1, in that it's pure platforming, get to the flagpole at the end of the stage. It's still fun as all hell and the co-op is great. Plus you can play as Peach!

Fortunately, you don't have to buy a Wii U just for that one game either! You already seem to know about DK: Tropical Freeze, so I won't mention it, but there's also Rayman Legends! Rayman Legends was the best drat platformer on the system until 3DW came out. It's still the best drat 2D platform on the system! It makes great use of the gamepad and it's even more fun to play with a buddy. Plus, Legends has about 80% of the Origins levels as unlockables, so it's like you're getting 1 game and most of another for the price of one!

Plus ya know... Mario Kart, and Smash later this year...

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Silver Falcon posted:

there's also Rayman Legends! Rayman Legends was the best drat platformer on the system until 3DW came out
Oh, hey! So I'm not the only one holding this opinion after all :v::hf::v:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm thinking of buying some ntdoy so in that sense let's burn pc gaming to the ground.

I'm nearing completion of windwaker and wow, you guys weren't kidding about that later game being a huge time sink. I can't even imagine how bad it is on the gamecube. It's actually kind of bad.... these two find the sage puzzles were really not that fun. I also wasn't feeding the fish though and realize he wasn't kidding when he said it would be a pita later if I didn't take his fishy advice!

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 16, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It never bothered me much but if you aren't preparing for the usual midgame Zelda "now do it again" twist yeah its probably way more annoying. I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat that actually enjoyed the sailing in the Gamecube version though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
So is it true that Wii games look better on Wii U than they did on Wii? I've found conflicting reports online -- some insist there is literally no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

It never bothered me much but if you aren't preparing for the usual midgame Zelda "now do it again" twist yeah its probably way more annoying.

:confused:

What are you talking about?

• Locked thread