Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I've read that drug addiction among nurses is a pretty big problem and has only recently gotten any attention, so maybe that has something to do with it.

It makes sense. From what I've read people are saying there's literally no incentive to seek help if you're a nurse and addict. Speaking up and saying "I need some help" is literally no different from saying "Fire me and ruin my career" so nobody seeks help and instead just tries to make it through their day without killing anyone or running out of their junk of choice.

Several years ago there was a nurse that OD'd in my unit's bathroom. I want to say it was either fentanyl, dilaudid or morphine. She was working her shift and then disappeared for a while. Staff broke down the bathroom door, coded her. Didn't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
A new hire recently was fired at my hospital for stealing dilaudid. They think she got at least 30 vials, plus 10 demerol. After she was fired, they found out her license in Texas had been suspended for the same thing. It seems like the kind of thing that would show up in a background check.

She never seemed impaired when she was working. Everyone was very surprised.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Roki B posted:

Any hospitals test for being a great big fat person?

My hospital system also gives us money off our health insurance if we are under certain wts. Also strongly encourages fatties to enroll in certain health and wellness programs.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Hey I just came across this thread, and I'm happy its here! I'm a first year nursing student, currently working as a Float CNA. I got laid off from my automotive career of 12 years, and 2 friends, one an ICU nurse who just left for an organ donation place of some sort, and another who's graduating in October from school convinced me to go this route.

Its much more rewarding than I've ever done before, and while there are days I'm beat (like today, where I finished 32 hours of work in 48), its something I'm really sinking my teeth into. Can't wait to contribute!

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
In the 5.5 years I worked on the floor, 4 RNs I worked with or near were caught misdirecting medications for recreation. [Where I work] There is a well-publicized and discreet way to seek help and protect your job; I don't personally know anyone who's used it.

One nurse stole another's OmniCell login and only took when her victim was working. Her victim was suspended during the investigation, ended up on suicide watch until her name was cleared, and never returned to work. The password thief was sighted working at a chemo clinic in the same hospital system a year later.

One RN took her own life with 60 ml of assorted narcs. I don't know if she ever took other than that one time.

There was an anesthesia resident who was found "down and blue" in the bathroom; apparently he wanted to take a ride between cases, and overdid it.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Weebly posted:

My hospital system also gives us money off our health insurance if we are under certain wts. Also strongly encourages fatties to enroll in certain health and wellness programs.

plus it's nice to not feel like you just ran a marathon at the end of your shift if you try and be active during your non clinical time. That's reward enough.

Anonymous Pie
May 9, 2010
Hi

I'm going into the 5th quarter of my associates program. I just started working per diem as CNA at a large hospital on the ortho/spine unit. In a week I have the opportunity to interview for a nurse tech position at a community hospital's psych unit. This would also be a per diem job. Is it a bad idea for me to work for two different hospitals (albeit per diem)?!? Both hospitals hire associates nurses if I promise to get the BSN.

I feel like if I split my time between two hospitals, I wont work enough to make a good impression on the unit manager. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Anonymous Pie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 21, 2014

Dirp
May 16, 2007
It depends where you might wanna work at when you graduate and whether or not they're actually good about hiring from within. Then pick whichever one that is and pick up as many hours as you can there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

So I decided against the vocational school for medical assisting and am taking nurse prereqs instead. With the tech bedroom SF is rapidly becoming, I realized I really don't care if I have to move to find work.

In the meantime, I have my rent controlled apartment so I don't need to go anywhere yet. I'm going to Skyline College for prereqs and going to try for Samuel Merritt's ABSN because I have a Bachelor's already. I'm also going to look into what other schools offer similar 2nd-bacc programs. I know University of Wyoming has one, and that supposedly they offer it remotely, which seems a little mind-boggling. I haven't found any other 2nd-bacc programs yet, but I haven't dug that deep either. I'm going off of SMU's prereq list since it's my first choice and they have pretty high standards.

Any particular advice? I've heard "keep all of your syllabi" for transfer purposes.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

School starts Monday the 25th!

A dosage exam I have to get 100% or disenroll happens Thursday the 28th!

Welcome back to Nursing School!!! :coffeepal:

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009
You got this djfooboo, just take it easy and always run your answers back through the problem.

I tore my ACL last week. It sucks but I can walk with a pronounced limp.

I take the NCLEX sometime in the next 2-4 weeks and start work in inpatient psych in October. You are not me, but if you were would you get the surgery ASAP or after you start work? A catch is that I get excellent insurance after I start work, but I don't know how I would manage starting work and a few weeks of being functionally disabled. I don't know that I am not somewhat functionally disabled now, though.

Have y'all ever had an injured colleague limping around or does that simply not work out? In my imagination it doesn't go too well.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

djfooboo posted:

School starts Monday the 25th!

A dosage exam I have to get 100% or disenroll happens Thursday the 28th!

Welcome back to Nursing School!!! :coffeepal:

I don't have plat but if you wanna email me I can quiz you some of the problems my instructor gave us for homework.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Our dosage calc exam is Tuesday. As well as mastery checkoffs from our basic skills class. http://www.dosagehelp.com is a pretty good site to practice, but it doesn't include all the grains and minims and bullshit my school still tests on.

Today was our orientation day. I'm pretty stoked that I got my first clinical placement choice and my preferred clinical instructor. It's an ortho/overflow floor, which is OK - much much better than the neuro rehab unit another group is going to. We sent patients there all the time from the last hospital I worked at. I will take a break from trachs for a while, tyvm!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Hahahahahaha grains oh my god I forgot about those.

Like any pharmacist ever would let that go through. :lol::lol:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ugh. Our schedule these first two weeks back is so hosed. No one knows anything and chaos reigns.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

Ugh. Our schedule these first two weeks back is so hosed. No one knows anything and chaos reigns.

Welcome to nursing school.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Our schedule as of the beginning of classes on 8/20:

8/20: NUR245 Lecture 1245-1500
8/21: NUR216 Lecture 0800-1200; NUR245 Lecture 1300-1500
8/22: "Peds and Psych Blitz, times TBA. Oh and some of you will have Peds Blitz today but Psych next Fri time TBA"

[WEEKEND AKA WORK]

8/25: Soarian Training for some, skills check-offs for some
8/26: Soarian Training for some, skills check-offs for some

(no, having training one day doesn't mean you have check offs the next. that'd make too much sense. Some folks will have both on one day. And the school is a 30-45 min drive from the training hospital)

8/27: OB Blitz time and room TBA; Drug Dosage Quiz time TBA must make 90% to proceed, 3 chances.
8/28: NUR216 Lecture 0800-1200; NUR245 Lecture 1300-1500
8/29: Psych Blitz if you haven't already

SO MANY "TIME AND PLACE TBA" AND CLASSES HAVE STARTED!!!

And we don't have our clinical assignments yet, let alone our schedule, and clinicals start 9/8!!

And the instructors are giving out reading assignments in Brunner 12th edition even though we've all got 13th...

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I just got my clinical assignments today and we start on Monday. As somebody said, welcome to nursing school.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Madame Psychosis posted:

You got this djfooboo, just take it easy and always run your answers back through the problem.

I tore my ACL last week. It sucks but I can walk with a pronounced limp.

I take the NCLEX sometime in the next 2-4 weeks and start work in inpatient psych in October. You are not me, but if you were would you get the surgery ASAP or after you start work? A catch is that I get excellent insurance after I start work, but I don't know how I would manage starting work and a few weeks of being functionally disabled. I don't know that I am not somewhat functionally disabled now, though.

Have y'all ever had an injured colleague limping around or does that simply not work out? In my imagination it doesn't go too well.

I was nearly kicked out of nursing school for tearing my ACL, MCL, and lateral meniscus in a wrestling accident. I was on my last day of clinical allowance and did my entire second semester of clinicals in a flex brace and a lot of pain. Partially this was due to the brace and partially to the degree of skeletal muscle damage I'd done at the same time. When the orthopedist operated though it turned out to be a partial ACL tear, not worth repairing, and he only performed a partial meniscectomy. The rehab for a meniscectomy is famously short, I'm not sure what you'd have to go through for an ACL repair.

All that said, the ACL is a good thing to have but not technically essential if you're not making frequent strong cutting motions. Your limp isn't from your ACL being torn, it's from the damage you did to the rest of your knee while tearing it, and the swelling in the area. With some PT now, you could wear a good hinge brace, go to work, and figure out how your FMLA, sick leave, vacation time, whatever work, and consult a surgeon to get a better idea of your rehab timeline. I had to be cleared by occupational health first, but that was basically: can you stand from a chair and walk 30 paces. You can get there before you start working. Three years later now I'm back in BJJ, no longer have to work in the ACE bandages and knee sleeves I did when I first started, and dead lifted 350 today. You can do it, you just have to be mindful of your recovery and work hard at it.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
yeah the hosed up school schedule sounds about right. they don't release clinical schedules until like a week before you start them. Mostly I'm sick of getting threatened with dismissal from the nursing program if you dont do ______. Gets real old.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

awkward_turtle posted:

I had to be cleared by occupational health first, but that was basically: can you stand from a chair and walk 30 paces.

I had to have a full PT Eval for my job. Stand and sit, squat, walk an indoor track for 15min then do HR and o2 sat then run 2 laps HR and O2 again, assist in the dead lift transfer of a 250Lb manikin from a non raised bed to a raised gurney. Then I had to stand with my back at a 45 degree angle while putting together nuts and bolts for 10 minutes. I thought my back was gonna break. "Supposedly" there were too many nurses getting hurt on the job.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
That's why you work somewhere with back smart policies and procedures. Dead lift an obese patient with how many people? Do beds not have height adjustment so that you can, I don't know, SLIDE them to the gurney?

I admit I'm not always conscientious to my back in terms of following our hospital's guidelines, but I'm reasonable about it. I'll hoik a 40kg waif of a patient up the bed no problems, although I make sure I use mechanics to protect my back as much as possible, but I'm more than happy to take the extra couple minutes to grab another pair of hands and a slide sheet when the patient is 2-3x that weight.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you can ever get your hands on a PT to teach you moving techniques, they have some crazy awesome ways to move patients that pose little to no injury to your back.

Saw a few 120 pound females transfer 190 pound individuals who were max assists.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Roki B posted:

Hahahahahaha grains oh my god I forgot about those.

Like any pharmacist ever would let that go through. :lol::lol:

Grains were cool for exactly 30 seconds, when I realized that 1/150gr = 0.4mg, and then atropine dosages made sense. And now it's back to just frustrating and leads to lots of me throwing down my pencil going "Jesus gently caress, it's goddamned 2014"

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Jamais Vu Again posted:

"Jesus gently caress, it's goddamned 2014"

New thread title

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

awkward_turtle posted:

All that said, the ACL is a good thing to have but not technically essential if you're not making frequent strong cutting motions.

I play contact sport on roller skates-- might be time to stop that, eh?

quote:

Your limp isn't from your ACL being torn, it's from the damage you did to the rest of your knee while tearing it, and the swelling in the area. With some PT now, you could wear a good hinge brace, go to work, and figure out how your FMLA, sick leave, vacation time, whatever work, and consult a surgeon to get a better idea of your rehab timeline.

I went ahead and emailed the nurse manager about the situation. It won't be the most naive and potentially regrettable thing I've ever done.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got to work today and my manager told me she wanted to see me before I leave. Uh oh, that's never good.

Tuens out they gave me a 10% raise out of nowhere.

I love my manager and my job.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ugh, I have my skills check off first thing Monday morning, and I worked today, and work tomorrow, and the practice lab isn't open on the weekend anyway. I was excited at first, because my assigned evaluator seemed really sweet and laid back, so I figured she'd be more forgiving.

Of course come to find out that 2 students were late to her Psych lecture on Friday, and she flagged down the department chair and had them sent home for the day. They were less than 5 minutes late, she hadn't even started lecturing yet...

So now I'm freaking out about that and worried my scenario will be trach care which we learned last and spent the least time on and haven't actually used in clinical yet or anything.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

After an interview at the Mayo Clinic on Monday, I got a call back today that I've been hired on the Bone Marrow Transplant unit! I'm beyond excited; I spent some time there during a clinical rotation and that's what I've wanted to do for a couple years now. Also, pretty terrified.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Annath posted:

Of course come to find out that 2 students were late to her Psych lecture on Friday, and she flagged down the department chair and had them sent home for the day. They were less than 5 minutes late, she hadn't even started lecturing yet...

So now I'm freaking out about that and worried my scenario will be trach care which we learned last and spent the least time on and haven't actually used in clinical yet or anything.

That's intense. Maybe that wasn't the whole story?

You got this -- if you feel like you're that weak at trach care, which is not a huge deal in the clinical environment, (provided you only suction for the requisite amount of time) then get some practice on. Walk it through in your head, talk it out with that one good friend I hope you've made.

Also it cannot hurt to bring candy for everyone in your check-off lab and offer her some. And be super polite.

quote:

BMT job

Congrats -- I too would be terrified.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Thanks for the support :)

I'd love to walk through the potential scenarios, and I do indeed have a good friend and vital pillar of support in my class.

Unfortunately she and I both work weekends :negative:

Part of the anxiety is that I haven't spent enough time around this instructor to get a feel for her style.

I did try to make a good impression when it was my group's turn for the psych lecture. I have a pretty good lay understanding of the mental health field from my mom being a social worker, then a special education teacher.

I think she was impressed that someone had not only heard of the DSM-IV but knew that the DSM-V was coming and planned to buy it. :v:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

CancerStick posted:

I just got my clinical assignments today and we start on Monday. As somebody said, welcome to nursing school.

haha, school starts tomorrow, clinicals on Tuesday (me on Friday), and we haven't gotten ours yet at all. In fact, for the online learning tool, the class was just put up yesterday. But hey, no problem, anything below a B- and we get kicked out of the program with exam 1 coming probably Sept 10. No problem!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Yay second semester starts today and judging by the texts I got last night everyone except me did their homework ... Last night. Great job girls. Because I saved the assignment and all to save your butts(as a picture on my phone) when you decided to work until midnight the day before the first day of class and leave all the work until now.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Dear classmate: I'm excited to see how nursing school is going to turn out for you, because today, on your FIRST DAY, you kept correcting the professors' pronunciation of medical terms. And you were wrong, wrong, wrong on each and every one.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Dear classmate: I'm excited to see how nursing school is going to turn out for you, because today, on your FIRST DAY, you kept correcting the professors' pronunciation of medical terms. And you were wrong, wrong, wrong on each and every one.

Hahaha I had someone who used to do this back in our first semester. She would also shout out wrong answers, very enthusiastically, to pretty much every question.

She shut up somewhere around the second semester.

On a related note, my A&P 2 professor had a PhD but somehow couldn't pronounce anything correctly. Intercalculated discs! :eng101:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Ah-SEE-tah-BEL-um or rear end-eh-TAB-yoo-lum?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Madame Psychosis posted:

I play contact sport on roller skates-- might be time to stop that, eh?

I went ahead and emailed the nurse manager about the situation. It won't be the most naive and potentially regrettable thing I've ever done.

Yeah, lacking an ACL makes it significantly more likely you'll tear a meniscus if you do something funny or twist wrong, and funny in this case is a pretty broad range of activities. Ice it a lot and keep trying to work through a full range of motion. Even without having insurance yet it may also be worth it to you to go ahead and pay to see an orthopedic surgeon though, and get started with a treatment timeline. He'll be much better able to tell you your options as well.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Rules of the new clinical site(big name hospital).
1. Don't park in the parking lot next to the hospital, park down the street in a different town. Use the shuttle which may or may not even be reliable. Penalty for parking in the parking lot: nursing school loses clinical privileges at that site.
2. Don't arrive even a minute late. Penalty: repeat clinical day, after being sent home
3. Don't use your cell phone on the floor.
Penalty: school loses clinical privileges.

More to follow once I make it to the floor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ugh. I hosed up my stupid sterile procedure check off... Twice!

Yesterday was totally legit. I hadn't had time to prep from working all weekend, and I wasn't super familiar with the procedure (wet to dry wound dressing change) so whatever.

The school kinda hosed me over tho. They had me remediate in open lab, and I was supposed to recheck with the open lab instructor. I practiced, and she said my practice runs were good so I should go get lunch and we'd do the formal check off when I got back.

I get back, and all of a sudden I'm not checking off with the lab instructor, I'm checking off with a completely different instructor I've never worked with before.

And I'm not checking off that day, I'm checking off the next day (today).

So I come in today, and due to #nursingschool I end up with a 3rd different instructor. Nice lady tho.

But they don't have sterile gloves that fit me. The biggest they have are 8 and I need a 9.5 or so.

I manage to get the gloves on, and perform the dressing change itself essentially flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I apparently brushed the edge of the plastic bin with my glove, so lightly I didn't feel it, and didn't catch myself.

So I failed again.

Now I have to meet with my advisor and the Department Chair to discuss my plan for improvement because I only get 3 chances before I'm removed from the course/have to repeat.

Meanwhile another student WHO DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HER SUPPLIES was allowed to do her check off without putting on the sterile gloves. She was allowed to say "I'm donning my sterile gloves" and that was it.

No male bias my rear end. I've told them about the ill-fitting gloves every semester, and every semester they say they're going to order some larger ones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

Ugh. I hosed up my stupid sterile procedure check off... Twice!

Yesterday was totally legit. I hadn't had time to prep from working all weekend, and I wasn't super familiar with the procedure (wet to dry wound dressing change) so whatever.

The school kinda hosed me over tho. They had me remediate in open lab, and I was supposed to recheck with the open lab instructor. I practiced, and she said my practice runs were good so I should go get lunch and we'd do the formal check off when I got back.

I get back, and all of a sudden I'm not checking off with the lab instructor, I'm checking off with a completely different instructor I've never worked with before.

And I'm not checking off that day, I'm checking off the next day (today).

So I come in today, and due to #nursingschool I end up with a 3rd different instructor. Nice lady tho.

But they don't have sterile gloves that fit me. The biggest they have are 8 and I need a 9.5 or so.

I manage to get the gloves on, and perform the dressing change itself essentially flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I apparently brushed the edge of the plastic bin with my glove, so lightly I didn't feel it, and didn't catch myself.

So I failed again.

Now I have to meet with my advisor and the Department Chair to discuss my plan for improvement because I only get 3 chances before I'm removed from the course/have to repeat.

Meanwhile another student WHO DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HER SUPPLIES was allowed to do her check off without putting on the sterile gloves. She was allowed to say "I'm donning my sterile gloves" and that was it.

No male bias my rear end. I've told them about the ill-fitting gloves every semester, and every semester they say they're going to order some larger ones...

Oh please. You didn't fail (twice) because of male bias.

If your gloves were huge and floppy you might brush against something and not feel it, but yours apparently were skin tight.

Sterile technique sometimes requires moving in ways that feel over-exaggerated so that you ensure you don't brush up against stuff.

Don't screw up your third time.

When you get a job you're going to have to request larger gloves too, don't be surprised if they don't have them.