Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, I return from my vacation to find out that not only have I only died once (fighting GIANT SPIDERS :black101:), but neither of my runs have ended in permadeath (2/3 successful runs counts as success, damnit).

I am absolutely shocked.

Also, use my name for crew whenever you want. The more disposable, the better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywJOsNj6vo

This will conclude the voyage of The Death Trap. Next I'll be doing a Zoltan C run. I have a co-commentator for that run, so things should be a little more fresh.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For the first fight: You can stop jumps by taking out the piloting, too, and much more easily most of the time.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
It's been bugging me for a while now since nobody seems to use it. You guys know the flagship has to be on the federation base for 3 consecutive turns right?

Good run though, this LP has taught me a lot about how to not die in sectors 1-4. Still no wins under my belt, and getting Zoltan ship achievements is very hard.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
For the event where you cloned a crazy guy: I think that gets you a not-crazy guy if you have a level 3 clone bay.

EDIT: Also, never ever ever ever dock with the refueling station. It is always a trap.

EDIT 2: The Final Stand music sounds awesome in fast forward.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 12, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

EDIT: Also, never ever ever ever dock with the refueling station. It is always a trap.

If you have upgraded doors then you can turn the tables on the trappers and get a bunch of free fuel.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Not clonebay suiciding into the piloting system of an escaping drone?
Not buying cloaking?
Hacking doors and leaving beam/ion up on the first stage of the boss?
Upgrading doors before the second stage of a crewless boss?

Man after playing this game for a while then watching people play its impossible not to get all spergy about how people play :)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
There's a lot of good points that have been brought up. I guess I can sum up some of the 'bad' decisions in the final video in one phrase: I was pretty certain I was going to win after getting the three Flak 1's. Things like the Slug B are only especially difficult in the first four sectors.

The question of cloaking vs hacking is tough, but in general I'll take hacking over cloaking almost every time, unless the ship comes with something like mind control. I'll take hacking if I'm a boarding ship. My usual rule is if I'm a boarding ship, I go hacking and get level 4 shields (so the cost of the hacking isn't very relevant, level 4 shields + hacking is much more expensive than level 3 shields and cloaking). This is based off the end boss every time, which is why I think the end boss could have been done differently.

The weapons on the end boss aren't much of a concern, except for the missiles, which even in my stealth C run I didn't bother with. In normal difficulty its rare you have to bother with the ions or lasers. I could have taken them out but the boss only did 3 damage to me after I killed the crew in the main part of the ship. I bought doors mostly for the boarding drone in the second phase, but I knew that whatever I bought it wouldn't matter. In retrospect piloting would be better, but still, it didn't matter.

As far as the boss needing three turns to defeat the base: It sucks when you mistime your jumps and lose by default. That, and sometimes you need that buffer zone in case the boss hacks something you absolutely cannot have hacked, like engines, piloting, shields, or weapons (in the case of some ships). Because the nodes disappear in a sometimes inconvenient fashion you should only consider giving the boss the extra time at the base when you're sure you can't beat the boss without some crucial thing and you need to hope you luckily get something.

Here's looking forward to aggravating the hell out of you guys with the Zoltan C :). The first video will be up on Friday.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you have upgraded doors then you can turn the tables on the trappers and get a bunch of free fuel.

He had level 2 doors and still got blown up. Never trust the refueling stations. Ever.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Shadowlyger posted:

He had level 2 doors and still got blown up. Never trust the refueling stations. Ever.

I think the idea is that if the benefit outweighs the risk there shouldn't be a problem. I made the choice knowing that if I took damage it wouldn't ruin my playthrough (free repair in the next jump). With the upgraded doors I could have gotten free fuel, and though I'm not sure what the other options were, with that choice I had to fight someone. This netted me, among other things, a whole bunch of scrap. That was worth it for the piddly three damage. With this event if you have no other ways to mitigate bad things you should avoid it.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Why do you shoot at engines and not piloting when a ship is trying to escape?

I always shoot at piloting and was wondering if I was missing something.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

CongoJack posted:

Why do you shoot at engines and not piloting when a ship is trying to escape?

I always shoot at piloting and was wondering if I was missing something.

Earlier sectors I go for piloting, later sectors it's sort of a toss-up. I chose engines based on the fact that any damage to engines reduces dodge - which is higher near the endgame - as well as the ftl charge. With the spreadiness of the flak there's a higher chance for spread to hit shields as well. Any points in piloting for the automated ships means they have both full dodge and FTL charge.

If it was the other design of automated ship I would have went for piloting mostly because that gives you a higher chance to hit something with the flak.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Also, for the fueling station, I'm pretty sure that's one of the events where the actual level of doors is taken into account for the blue option, not just whether they have any upgrades at all; I think you're virtually guaranteed a good result if you have maxed doors that are manned, but it doesn't come up nearly often enough to plan for that. On the other hand, blue options for cloning, medbay, and sensors are wildly abundant and often only require one extra pip of upgrades, so they're usually worth going for (even on a slug ship, it can be nice to have sensors because they're not expensive and give you several nice blue options with one cheap upgrade, though I can understand if someone would rather hedge their bets and spend that scrap elsewhere).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, you managed to use that Heal Bomb on 5 guys by having someone run through the room as it was deployed.

Would this work with teleporters too? Can you teleport 3 people from a 2-person teleport by having a third person run through the room at the moment you use the teleporter?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can you teleport 3 people from a 2-person teleport by having a third person run through the room at the moment you use the teleporter?

With a two-person teleporter, you can only teleport two people to the enemy ship at a time. You can retrieve 4 people from a 2x2 room, however, no matter whether you have the 2-man or the 4-man teleporter. I forget whether you can run crewmen through the room on the enemy ship to teleport back more than four in that way, though.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It seems when teleporting to a ship your guys have to be standing still on a tile in the teleporter, and when teleporting from a ship they just have to break the plane of the door going into the room they're teleporting from. With that in mind, you could likely teleport back more than 4 guys, but its pretty rare to have more than 4 guys on the enemy ship.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So much for my dream of a five+ Mantis boarding party.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I remember one of my earlier runs before I was playing advanced edition - I couldn't take down the boss's shields, and because there was no hacking, I didn't have a reliable way of taking down the shields, so I teleported everybody onto the boss - engi, zoltan, mantis - didn't matter. Thankfully I had level 3 teleporters. It actually worked, even though I lost a couple guys in the process, but they knew what they were fighting for :patriot:

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I just had my first win ever at this game with a Mantis B. I got really lucky early on with getting crew, especially Mantis crew. Once I had 4 Mantis Boarders anything that wasn't an AI ship got their entire crew murdered in seconds. Managed to get the Virus event twice so I had 2 super engi as well.

Managed to get cloaking right before the last stand and a zoltan shield bypass as well. For weapons I had a small bomb, burst 1, and hull laser. The first go around of the ship was the toughest because it took forever to actually hit its goddamn medbay with enough bombs to disable it. Once it was though my Mantis ate everyone save 1 guy who I left to prevent AI ship.

From there, stage 2 and 3 were cake. Stage 2 knock out missles and drones with mantis. Then shields and go to town with lasers.
Stage 3 same thing. Knock out mind control and weapons and shields and laser it to death. Could teleport right at the beginning thanks to my bypass. Took only 3 points of hull damage the whole fight.

It took so many tries to get the 4 person Mantis train going but once I did it was GLORIOUS.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Morand posted:

Managed to get the Virus event twice so I had 2 super engi as well.

I got the Virus event three times in one run, once. Ended up with a single super-Engi who had three different viruses battling for control of his body.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
3 flak guns? Yeah, pretty much anything's going to die when you point those their way. Poor flagship never stood a chance.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Glazius posted:

3 flak guns? Yeah, pretty much anything's going to die when you point those their way. Poor flagship never stood a chance.

My very first victory with the Kestrel I wound up with three Burst IIs and a Flak I. I just looked at ships in that run and they died.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My favorite loadout ever was a Flak II, two Flak Is, and a pre-loader. Every fight lead off with a DOOSH, then the enemy's systems all failed and I was free to pick them apart at my leisure.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Fill space with hundreds of kinetic projectiles' is a pretty effective means to ensure that said area of space is uninhabitable.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I usually get level 3 teleporters when I go for a boarding strategy. It's so much less stressful to be able to pull guys out quickly, and you can even take down systems on AI ships before they suffocate.

Ed: Also, it lets you 'effectively' run a four-person boarding team.

And you should have been stunning the shield guy with the ion before porting to get free hits on him.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 14, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSC6iKQOeqg

The Si02 Artillery! I have another commentator this time around, which is kind of nice. Tell me what you guys think - if its any good I'll likely include him in subsequent videos.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Just found this LP a couple days ago and marathoned a whole bunch of it. The Space Jesus campaign was incredible and hilarious. Keep up the good work!

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I liked the dual-commentary. Playing that way is too high stress for me, I don't have the fortitude to only have 1 shields and rely on a backup battery.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Just chiming in to say that the dual commentary is nice and seems to keep you more focused.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I suppose I'm now chilling in the shields. Also how many times are you gonna hit enter before you press the button to set crew locations?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Shadowlyger posted:

I suppose I'm now chilling in the shields. Also how many times are you gonna hit enter before you press the button to set crew locations?

A lot this time around :v:. I'm usually really good about that thing.

Because there's so many Zoltan just chilling I'm going to put those names on the top of the 'reuse' list.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Watching you travel around with two power and 150 scrap is almost painful. But hey, I am in engines, and powering said engines... so it is a bit of a wash.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Four Zoltan boarders is ridiculous when you have a medbay. I finally got some crew on my Engi B and then got the Zoltan boarding event. Four on four in a single room and I thought I had it won easily...then they exploded and killed my guys. I think my drone had to finish them off. My poor Engi was all alone again.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Yeah, the boarding events that make me the most nervous are the Zoltan ones. It takes a ton of finesse, particularly on the Engi B because your venting routes are extremely poor as well as the lack of clone bay.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You could've abbrevated my name 'CO2' like I suggested so it doesn't just show Dioxide.

But I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't think I've ever been a slug before. :)

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

You could've abbrevated my name 'CO2' like I suggested so it doesn't just show Dioxide.

But I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't think I've ever been a slug before. :)

I like how the ships name and your name go together, like it was named after your grandfather or something.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I must admit, I understand being stingy due to the need to upgrade your arsenal ASAP in this ship, but the Scrap Recovery Arm bothered me a little, as it can be game-changing, especially in sector 1. It would have, in fact, paid for almost half its own cost by the point you discussed it in Sector 2, and by the end of the game can provide enough scrap for an extra drone/weapon and three or four pips of upgrades, and as you saw, it was entirely possible to be pushing 200 scrap and still not see a weapon you want in the shop. Of course, it's kind of a moot point...

That said, your runs seem to consistently go better than mine no matter how much I gripe, so any advice I give should be taken with a grain of salt. :jeb: :eng99:

Also funny though is that I totally agree with buying the slug. Given your lovely reactor they effectively only cost ~20 (more or less, depending on how you compute the opportunity cost), and having one slug is surprisingly useful despite how hilariously, almost loveably unlikeable they are as a race.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm a little surprised you didn't just take the chain laser.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Glazius posted:

I'm a little surprised you didn't just take the chain laser.

Yeah, an autofiring chain laser could keep shields down pretty well if you pair it with the ion you already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, an autofiring chain laser could keep shields down pretty well if you pair it with the ion you already have.

A little more than just taking down shields at times too. If you REALLY need directed point damage. (And against certain ships your REALLY want to take out their weapons)

• Locked thread