Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, something's wrong with the memory in my E!quipped DX7IIFD. Voices loaded from memory are very quiet. When I investigate their parameters, they seem to be correct. Editing them in situ will never restore their volume.

Starting a voice from scratch works alright though. I can load it back after it's saved no problem. So.... maybe it's some hidden parameter that's been set on all stored voices. Maybe some sysex got routed to it by mistake? I just find that hard to believe because it's affected every voice in every bank.

Guess this gives me an excuse to finally organise my voice library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Oh I also guess I owe a post about upgrading the storage in my EMU E4XT Ultra.

Thanks for that. Having endless trouble getting external SCSI working on a Roland, so I'll study your experience.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

I assumed I could read the audio samples without an issue but the samples for each project are contained in a proprietary file format. No dice for now but there might be something out there that lets me rip out the audio files from these old projects.

Have you tried importing into Audacity?
Audacity//File//Import//Raw Data

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

Welp, something's wrong with the memory in my E!quipped DX7IIFD. Voices loaded from memory are very quiet. When I investigate their parameters, they seem to be correct. Editing them in situ will never restore their volume.

Been forever since I poked an E! but doesn't it add velocity curves? Perhaps one is being applied on load but not on a fresh init?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh my god, Waldorf has its groove back. I want one right now. :aaa:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Dat phaser :allears:

Startyde posted:

Been forever since I poked an E! but doesn't it add velocity curves? Perhaps one is being applied on load but not on a fresh init?

That was it! The velocity curve is a global parameter. I don't tend to add velocity sensitivity to a voice until later, which is why a fresh voice was loud, but other voices were quiet.

The velocity sensitivity on this keyboard suuuuuuuucks, so when the curve level was set to 1, it was whisper-quiet even when hammered.

Thanks!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 14, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Oh my god, Waldorf has its groove back. I want one right now. :aaa:

welp gotta get me one of dems

No prob, hold on to that baby. IIE!s aren't too common these days. I don't know if Old Crow ever finished the MkII version of his RE! remake boards, he never sold off the run of the MkIs so maybe that cooled his jets dunno.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I am completely floored by the concept of granular synthesis. I mean, listen to what an 8 bit micro can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyM-wk3eelQ

When I first heard this, I was absolutely sure that there was an analog filter involved.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Is there a general consensus on the Elektron Analog Keys?

I watched the SonicState review and the guy sounded like he both loved and hated the thing.

I would like to buy a RYTM soon and thought it might be cool to pair them up.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Dan Hollis posted:

Is there a general consensus on the Elektron Analog Keys?

I watched the SonicState review and the guy sounded like he both loved and hated the thing.

I would like to buy a RYTM soon and thought it might be cool to pair them up.

I've seen a bunch of people buy the Analog Keys despite the luke warm reception. The A4 as a sound module sounds fantastic and has a ton of great built in features and the AK adds a joystick, keyboard, and has more outputs. I don't know about how good or bad the Elektron keyboard keys feel but that would be a determining factor for me. I think there was also some feature (something with polyphony?) the AK had to scrap that the A4 has, but this might have been fixed in a recent firmware update.

So the real question is, how much money do you want to spend? :clint:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I've got an A4 and love it. A lot of little things are in there that make life easier that don't get mentioned often for some reason. Stuff like dedicated pitch bend (stereotypical use for hard sync sounds), PWM and vibrato, save you envelopes or an LFO. The biggest thing I don't like about the AK design is that the keys aren't protected on the bottom side but if they ever roll out a polychain update (doubtful), I'll probably get one.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Great feedback guys...Thanks.

I heard about the unprotected keys on the AK...something about preventing dust buildup. I had no idea that was a big enough issue in the synth world to merit such an unorthodox design choice. Does anyone that has played the AK have opinions on the way it feels while playing? I'd be constantly cautious of not snapping those keys off.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
9ft 909...

http://vimeo.com/103121400

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Wooo weee! I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but I think I'm about to start down the long long road of Eurorack modular gear. The two big things that have kept me away from Euro are the price and how I'd go about fitting it all into my current setup though the more I play around with CV and the more I read about certain modules the more I really want to start building a system.

Right now I've got an SH-101, Super Bass Station, and Mutable Instruments Anushri and I plan to use those as my sound engines (for now). I can expand my sonic capabilities down the road but for now I'm interested in CV processing and distribution. Also I've realized that some of the modules I'm looking at (like the Turing Machine and the PEG) come as kits or individual PCBs and this brings the cost down somewhat for me ($345 built vs $195 kit for the PEG, for example).

That Expert Sleepers Disting module really has me GASing and I'd probably start off with that plus a Turing, PEG, MI Yarns, and maybe one or two other interesting modules plugged into a Happy Endings kit. I'm wondering if anyone has some other recommendations on other non-filter, non-sound generation modules I might want to pick up from the get go as well as any info on other popular modules that come as a kit. I feel like this question is probably more appropriate for Muffs but figured I would ask anyway :).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Disting is ridiculous, you could do an all disting system and still have most things taken care of. :kimchi:
Right off the bat I'd suggest the Doepfer A-119, it's one of the least expensive input modules, especially used, and comes with an envelope follower and comparator. A dual VCA, DC coupled, is useful for getting hit with that PEG. I like the MFBs because the 2nd CV input isn't active unless the first is. Some clock divider especially one that can do gate or trig, like the circuit abbey G8 can pull double duty as a simple sequencer. That one has %weight random too which is neat. Too many cool modules now.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This looks like so much fun. I'd make such a fool of myself if I had access to this.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Tehschulman, I've got a euro case up on muffs for 250+half of shipping (from Texas) and I'm tossing in a free doepfer exponential mixer.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Salivating about moog sub 37.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
So hey. Shruthi users in here, have you guys had much success with making leads? I've had mine for a while now, and I've really only been successful making bass tones with it. I LOVE what it does in the low register (I use it for maximum cheese fm slap bass mostly) but I'd like to get a little more out of it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Mrwimmer posted:

So hey. Shruthi users in here, have you guys had much success with making leads? I've had mine for a while now, and I've really only been successful making bass tones with it. I LOVE what it does in the low register (I use it for maximum cheese fm slap bass mostly) but I'd like to get a little more out of it.

Really depends what sort of lead you're after. Most of the oscillators exhibit some aliasing artifacts in the higher registers despite some of those being band-limited. Usually I can get some good lead sounds by running the output through some slight overdrive, otherwise the sound is a bit weak, at least with the standard filter card. The SDE mods can help you get some extra bite directly off the synth.

Try experimenting with the different waveforms; the FM one in particular sounds nice with its parameter set to max. Blade Runner type leads with two slightly detuned saw waves and some attack on VCA and filter sound nice as well.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

snorch posted:

Really depends what sort of lead you're after. Most of the oscillators exhibit some aliasing artifacts in the higher registers despite some of those being band-limited. Usually I can get some good lead sounds by running the output through some slight overdrive, otherwise the sound is a bit weak, at least with the standard filter card. The SDE mods can help you get some extra bite directly off the synth.

Try experimenting with the different waveforms; the FM one in particular sounds nice with its parameter set to max. Blade Runner type leads with two slightly detuned saw waves and some attack on VCA and filter sound nice as well.

Well, the FM osc mode isn't a wavetable, it's actual FM. The parameter is the mix, and the range affects the relative tuning of the modulator wave.

I guess I should have been more specific about what kind of lead I'm shooting for. I like super smooth, wind-esque leads. Actually, it would be perfect if anyone could tell me how to get rid of the clicky note on artifact other than increasing the attack a little, or how to add portamento in the synth interface.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Not familiar with the Shruthi specifically but increasing the attack is usually what you want to do. If the oscillator phase doesn't reset with the start of a note, and the note onset occurs when the waveform is greater or less than zero, and the attack isn't long enough to smooth out the jump from 0 to +/- whatever, you get a click. You're looking for a really short (like sub-1ms) attack to get rid of the click, not enough to perceptibly give it an attack.

If the Shruthi has some kind of phase reset feature, then that will also get rid of the click but will typically have a larger impact on the sound.

It's also possible but much less likely that a click is caused some other way, like a very short and steep amp or filter envelope (but probably you know what happened if that's the problem).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The oscillators are free-running, so there will be a click sometimes no matter what when the attack is zero. Portamento/legato are set on the tuning settings page. There's also a firmware mod to make the synth store prt/leg with the patch instead of system-wide:
http://mutable-instruments.net/wiki/Shruthi-1_firmware_hacks

Super-smooth is probably not the Shruthi's strong suit, again limited by the low sample rate and nonexistent antialiasing. You'll probably be best off with triangle, FM, or phase distortion (z- prefix) waveforms. You'll probably still have to spruce it up with some reverb and maybe chorusing.

snorch fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Wooo weee! I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but I think I'm about to start down the long long road of Eurorack modular gear. The two big things that have kept me away from Euro are the price and how I'd go about fitting it all into my current setup though the more I play around with CV and the more I read about certain modules the more I really want to start building a system.

Right now I've got an SH-101, Super Bass Station, and Mutable Instruments Anushri and I plan to use those as my sound engines (for now). I can expand my sonic capabilities down the road but for now I'm interested in CV processing and distribution. Also I've realized that some of the modules I'm looking at (like the Turing Machine and the PEG) come as kits or individual PCBs and this brings the cost down somewhat for me ($345 built vs $195 kit for the PEG, for example).

That Expert Sleepers Disting module really has me GASing and I'd probably start off with that plus a Turing, PEG, MI Yarns, and maybe one or two other interesting modules plugged into a Happy Endings kit. I'm wondering if anyone has some other recommendations on other non-filter, non-sound generation modules I might want to pick up from the get go as well as any info on other popular modules that come as a kit. I feel like this question is probably more appropriate for Muffs but figured I would ask anyway :).

I'd ignore the uZeus power supply that the happy endings kit comes with and get synthroteks equivalent. http://store.synthrotek.com/Eurorack_5A_Power_Supply_System_DIY_Kit

Real easy to put together and provides a lot more power while occupying the same amount of rack space. Check out their Eko kit as well, a real simple delay with some cool quirks.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
If price is any concern when building a modular rig, my only advice is to START and END with one single smallish 9U pre-built and non-expandable case, and just straight up limit yourself to that.

Otherwise you'll end up with 21+ filled up Happy Ending Kits and divorce papers.

(and ALOT of boring acid demo-tracks on your Soundcloud)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Cleaner posted:

If price is any concern when building a modular rig, my only advice is to START and END with one single smallish 9U pre-built and non-expandable case, and just straight up limit yourself to that.

Otherwise you'll end up with 21+ filled up Happy Ending Kits and divorce papers.

(and ALOT of boring acid demo-tracks on your Soundcloud)

So, if price is any concern when building a modular rig, don't build a modular rig.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So I recently bought my first synth (a microkorg for about 200$ on craigslist). Like a lot of you guys I really don't like it but for right now it's mostly serving my needs as a (very expensive) midi controller.

Anyways, one of my buddies in NYC offered me 280$ for it a few days ago. I don't know if he's stupid or if everything in NYC is just magically worth more than it's worth, but either way I intended to sell it to him and buy another (better) synth.

What would you recommended around the $300 mark? I'm looking for something with at least 49 keys. Should I just get a midi controller?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Mr. Sharps posted:

I'd ignore the uZeus power supply that the happy endings kit comes with and get synthroteks equivalent. http://store.synthrotek.com/Eurorack_5A_Power_Supply_System_DIY_Kit

Real easy to put together and provides a lot more power while occupying the same amount of rack space. Check out their Eko kit as well, a real simple delay with some cool quirks.

Ahhh yes, thank you for this! The Eko looks especially awesome but saving as much space in the rack as possible is definitely a goal here so I'll probably end up with one of those power supplies. I have enough room for 2 HE kits in the rackmount case I anticipate putting this gear in. Here's what I've got so far from Modulargrid:

Remember, I have some gear for sound generation, I want to take those sound generators and do all kinds of crazy things to their signal via CV (or MIDI too I guess with Yarns). I also want to do some sampler manipulation stuff at some point too which explains the Photogene. I'm wondering if I'm missing any essential stuff in that rack or if there are any bits I've chosen which have a smaller alternative version out there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I recently bought my first synth (a microkorg for about 200$ on craigslist). Like a lot of you guys I really don't like it but for right now it's mostly serving my needs as a (very expensive) midi controller.

Anyways, one of my buddies in NYC offered me 280$ for it a few days ago. I don't know if he's stupid or if everything in NYC is just magically worth more than it's worth, but either way I intended to sell it to him and buy another (better) synth.

What would you recommended around the $300 mark? I'm looking for something with at least 49 keys. Should I just get a midi controller?

Yes.

There are some decent 32-49 key ones around the $200 range (Launchpad-49, Roland A-200, Nektar Impact) and I would probably get one of those and either the Volca Bass or Keys for the money... or if you can spend another $200 or so the Waldorf Rocket or Streichfett.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes.

There are some decent 32-49 key ones around the $200 range (Launchpad-49, Roland A-200, Nektar Impact) and I would probably get one of those and either the Volca Bass or Keys for the money... or if you can spend another $200 or so the Waldorf Rocket or Streichfett.

Could also track down an Ultranova for ~300 used, which also gives you an audio interface.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Oh, that was you on /r/modular. I knew that name was familiar. Welcome to the modular :bandwagon:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

FLX posted:

Oh, that was you on /r/modular. I knew that name was familiar. Welcome to the modular :bandwagon:

:bigtran:

Yeah I appreciate the advice over on that thread too. I might private message you a few more questions if i can bug you. I definitely won't have the money to order all this in on go, i plan to do a Synthrotek order first, then either get a Turing kit from Thonk or eBay (maybe with expansions, but again, space), and source the rest from Muffs or WAFFLEHOUND. I'm trying to figure what modules I should get before others as well as figure which i can build vs buy.

I'm also buying a Gristleizer kit (tabletop) cause why not? The solder fumes will only make me stronger!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Anybody want to buy a Microbrute? Looking to sell mine for about 180 shipped. Has everthing it came with minus registration card (never registered though). US only.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Krustic posted:

Anybody want to buy a Microbrute? Looking to sell mine for about 180 shipped. Has everthing it came with minus registration card (never registered though). US only.

i might be interested, shoot me a pm with more info

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Please check out my Robot Fart Box demo video. It is my crowning achievement.. and not a total rip off of Jexus.

http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

Please check out my Robot Fart Box demo video. It is my crowning achievement.. and not a total rip off of Jexus.

i want all of those things

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

This is cool but I will not go into modular stop that stop showing me cool things.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Good farts :golfclap:
Is that the cvThree from control?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Krustic posted:

If Dotcom Jillionaire passes, I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

minidracula posted:

If Dotcom Jillionaire passes, I'm interested.

He changed his mind. I'll PM you some info and pics in a minute.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 19, 2014