Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

What is an ASBO? It's not in SAclopedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

Those are still a thing? Wow.
something similar was introduced here last year as well. they're called GAS fines. they're rly stupid and people hate them. some examples:

in antwerp, a arthouse for children and teens got a GAS fine for protesting against GAS fines. in another incident, someone with a mental disability was fined for playing a flute on the street.
in hasselt, nobody but sinterklaas, santa and the easter bunny can wear masks in the street - punishable by GAS fines.
five residents of verviers got a gas fine for criticising local police in the online comment section of a newspaper
in merchtem, children can't play football while pigeon racers are playing with their pigeons. in hamme and waasmunster, you can't dry your laundry outside, wave flags or 'hit objects' when the pigeons are out.
if you stop sliding when you're halfway down a waterslide in dendermonde, you're getting a gas fine.
in arendonk, there's a line you can call if you know someone that didn't report the presence of oak processionary caterpillars on their property - gas fine up to 250 euro. also in arendonk, if you're fishing and the distance between you and your fishing rod is more than three meters, it's a fine.
in deinze, you can't throw confetti in the air after it has been on the ground. in wellen, however, confetti has to be biodegradable and at most 10mm wide
in ghent, you can't pick up the sand left behind by road crews for fifteen days - afterwards, it seems you can?
in lokeren, you can get a fine for scaring someone
in ronse, you can get a fine for making noise in public spaces
in antwerp, medicine for the people (a rly cool and good group) were vaccinating people in the marketplace and were fined for it
in evergem, if your dog's breed is on a list of an outdated and no longer used royal declaration, it has to wear a muzzle
you can't sing dirty songs in dendermonde
in mechelen, a resident was almost fined for picking a single flower
in jabbeke, you can keep 'aggressive and cruel' dogs, unless they're "too" aggressive and cruel
in beerse, only pregnant women can throw up in public or on private property that isn't your own
in leuven and hoeilaart, you can't shake trees or bushes in public.
in a couple of communities, you're not allowed to fire cannons.

and so on and so on

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

R. Mute posted:

in a couple of communities, you're not allowed to fire cannons.

That kinda makes sense though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Alhazred posted:

That kinda makes sense though.

I know it's hard to get it if you're an American, but Europeans regard their cannons with as much fervor as an American might display for their guns.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Individual examples are actually a really bad way to explain thing when it comes to legal concepts, because examples often lack necessary context.

On the other hand, use of selective examples makes Eurocommie Germany look like the wet dream of every Republican strawman.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The mayor of Nice banned the display of foreign flags during the World Cup.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 16, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I know it's hard to get it if you're an American, but Europeans regard their cannons with as much fervor as an American might display for their guns.

I'm not an American but I'm not clutching to my cannon. I don't even own one, does that make me a bad European:ohdear:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
No, hang on, talk about the pigeon racers. Tell me about pigeon racing.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

No, hang on, talk about the pigeon racers. Tell me about pigeon racing.
it's a "sport" where you release a special racing pigeon and they return to their home as fast as possible. their speed is then calculated and compared to the other pigeons and whoever is fastest gets the prize. it's still really popular in belgium and has actually spread to a lot of other countries. you can actually make a living breeding and selling racing pigeons - they go for absurd amounts of money if they're any good. a friend of a friend got something like 25.000 euro for a single pigeon. poo poo's insane.

in reality though it's really lame and dumb, but whatever. just wait until you hear about Vinkensport/finch sport.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Badger of Basra, I'm still Duolingoing but only like a unit a day because of time. I think I'm going to switch to using a grammar text and dictionary as primary building blocks.

Discendo Vox posted:

What is an ASBO? It's not in SAclopedia.

It's an opportunity to network with other young offenders.

Edit: drat, reference beaten.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 16, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

In a contest, a row of small cages, each housing a single male finch, are lined up approximately six feet apart along a street. The close proximity of the cages increases the number of calls, as the birds sing for mates and to establish territory.[1] A timekeeper begins and ends the contest with a red flag. Every time a bird sings a correct terminating flourish to their call—most often transcribed as susk-e-wiet—a tally mark in chalk is made on a long wooden stick. The bird singing its song the most times during one hour wins the contest. Champion finches regularly sing hundreds of calls in contests.[1]

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

As with other sports, vinkensport has had its cheating scandals, as well as accusations of artificial enhancement. One finch sang a record 1,278 susk-e-weits in one hour, and the owner was later accused of doping the bird with testosterone.[1] After one contestant sang exactly the same number of calls in two rounds, the box was opened and a mini CD player was discovered within.[1]

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

belgium: not a joke

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dreylad posted:

I don't know what your educational background is, but check out some books on neural plasticity. Still a theory but it's changed my view towards the idea that we're "hard-wired" to do most things.

Do you have any recommendations for "decently smart layperson with technical background"? I'd be quite interested.

Also, "Neuropath" by Bakker might be of interest to the free-will discussion crowd.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2otXPONjys

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

The mayor of Nice banned the display of foreign flags during the World Cup.
Come to Singapore where display of foreign flags is illegal 365 days a year. It's actively enforced, if you display one you most assuredly will get a visit from your friendly neighborhood police officer and no doubt end up in some database of troublemakers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gail Wynand posted:

Come to Singapore where display of foreign flags is illegal 365 days a year. It's actively enforced, if you display one you most assuredly will get a visit from your friendly neighborhood police officer and no doubt end up in some database of troublemakers.

Flag laws are as a general rule completely insane. The only good use of a flag law that I know of was when the Norwegian government banned a clothing store catering to neo-nazis from using the Norwegian flag.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know, it shouldn't be illegal and people shouldn't get all up in arms, but just living as an immigrant in another country I personally consider it really rude to show a foreign flag publicly. I have two Texas flags and I have used them in private occasions, but I would never, ever, ever fly a foreign flag here. It doesn't really matter what I think, but why be an rear end in a top hat to people? Sure, if I were a tourist and it's some World Cup stuff, fine, but I grew up in an area of America where immigrants flew foreign flags on random occasions 365 days a year. Never really bothered me in some angry visceral right wing way, but I did consider it petty. I get this same thing when I'm in, like, Hua Hin (Thailand) and all these Scandinavians have hotels with Danish flags or whatever hanging out front. Just seems like a tasteless and petty thing to do as a private citizen if you're actually living somewhere, as opposed to visiting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

You know, it shouldn't be illegal and people shouldn't get all up in arms, but just living as an immigrant in another country I personally consider it really rude to show a foreign flag publicly. I have two Texas flags and I have used them in private occasions, but I would never, ever, ever fly a foreign flag here. It doesn't really matter what I think, but why be an rear end in a top hat to people? Sure, if I were a tourist and it's some World Cup stuff, fine, but I grew up in an area of America where immigrants flew foreign flags on random occasions 365 days a year. Never really bothered me in some angry visceral right wing way, but I did consider it petty. I get this same thing when I'm in, like, Hua Hin (Thailand) and all these Scandinavians have hotels with Danish flags or whatever hanging out front. Just seems like a tasteless and petty thing to do as a private citizen if you're actually living somewhere, as opposed to visiting.

Flags: Serious business.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

I can't speak to your area and maybe this is just apocryphal, but it can also be a way to signal to recent arrivals that someone of that background owns/operates that business, and they might be able to get some help there if they need it.

Alternatively: EL FÚTBOL

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 16, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alhazred posted:

Flags: Serious business.

You should see what poo poo goes down in the pic thread whenever someone starts posting flags, it's crazy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

I can't speak to your area and maybe this is just apocryphal, but it can also be a way to signal to recent arrivals that someone of that background owns/operates that business, and they might be able to get some help there if they need it.
Oh that's exactly what it is in Thailand, same as back home. For example, you may be a newly arrived Swede looking to completely avoid local culture and eat at the korvmojjen, in which case the Swedish flags will guide you there. With the advent of the internet, the thing about finding local ties is less plausible, really. If you're from any culture and you're in a new country then the first thing you do is start googling. Anyone flying a flag outside is generally going to be an rear end in a top hat, or attract assholes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You should see what poo poo goes down in the pic thread whenever someone starts posting flags, it's crazy.

Are these posters foreign? Because I find it offensive that foreigners are posting pics of non-American flags in an American forum.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I know I hate it when for example a Mexican restaurant has a Mexican flag somewhere outside easily identifying it. I went to Tokyo and there was even an American restaurant with an American flag in the window!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

Oh that's exactly what it is in Thailand, same as back home. For example, you may be a newly arrived Swede looking to completely avoid local culture and eat at the korvmojjen, in which case the Swedish flags will guide you there. With the advent of the internet, the thing about finding local ties is less plausible, really. If you're from any culture and you're in a new country then the first thing you do is start googling. Anyone flying a flag outside is generally going to be an rear end in a top hat, or attract assholes.

I was thinking less in the tourism context and more in the immigration context, honestly.

I am avoiding local culture entirely and drinking Bitburger in an airport bar, so what do I know.

Adverbially
Sep 17, 2013

Soiled Meat

ReindeerF posted:

Which is particularly obnoxious given that flying a foreign flag is illegal in Denmark.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

The Warszawa posted:

I was thinking less in the tourism context and more in the immigration context, honestly.

I am avoiding local culture entirely and drinking Bitburger in an airport bar, so what do I know.
Heh.

Even in an immigration context, it's probably more applicable in places like where you came up, but if you can't find a Spanish speaking business to sell you phone cards in South Texas then you're seriously doing something wrong. The flag is definitely marketing, I agree, I just personally find it petty. If I had an American restaurant in Bangkok I would never fly a US flag out front. You're actually in another country, it's a bit petty to wave your flag in their face. I'm not hugely nationalistic, but one of the key characteristics of not being an rear end in a top hat is empathy - and imagine how it looks to the people here when you wave your flag in their face.

Adverbially posted:

Which is particularly obnoxious given that flying a foreign flag is illegal in Denmark.
Okay, that does make it like twice as funny. Though, of course, they're mostly just trying to stop the Swedes from taking over I'm sure, heh.

Adverbially
Sep 17, 2013

Soiled Meat
If I recall correctly, Denmark is the most flag-happy country in the world. And yes, there is a lot of nationalism going on there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I used to say that Thailand rivals only Texas for flag hanging among free countries, but since our multiple coups that's out the window, heh.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
At the 24 Hours of Le Mans you can tell the Danish race fans because they'll cover their cars, their campsites, their grandstand seats, and themselves with the Danish flag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Mexican flags make for nice decorations. Though I don't think your rules apply in South Texas, since it's the other New Mexico.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How has this not been suicide bombed!?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ReindeerF posted:

How has this not been suicide bombed!?

does :thejoke: involve Breivik or something since it's the Norwegian flag in the bottom pic

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Note the Asian kids and older Asian dude and lady, heh.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

we fly flemish flags when we're watching road cycling, belgian flags when we watch football.

when i say we, i don't mean myself because i think flags are dumb as gently caress.

there's only one flag, comrades, and it is red.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Benelulz

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

My aunt came to the us recently to live (San Diego) and lol she can't operate a smartphone and is terrible at reading English. Sure you can google or hook up with friends and family but if you want to explore your new country yet still have a way to touch base, it's not a bad thing to look for.

Personally I find it obnoxious when people in a country plaster their country's flag everywhere. Like, we know you live here okay??

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

R. Mute posted:

we fly flemish flags when we're watching road cycling, belgian flags when we watch football.

when i say we, i don't mean myself because i think flags are dumb as gently caress.

there's only one flag, comrades, and it is red.

we could have switched to the red flag back in the 19th century but loving Lamartine said the tricolor is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My aunt came to the us recently to live (San Diego) and lol she can't operate a smartphone and is terrible at reading English. Sure you can google or hook up with friends and family but if you want to explore your new country yet still have a way to touch base, it's not a bad thing to look for.
I think we can all agree that immigrants who can't use the internet are immigrants we don't want!

• Locked thread