Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Rumpleminze is something I bought for the house exactly once, largely due to the great amount of shame it caused me, seeing it where I sleep. Clearly the only solution was to get rid of it quickly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rumpleminze was great, I used to take a shot of it at the end of every shift so nobody could smell the beer, Jager, or whiskey on my breath.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks to Fireball our Rumpleminze got dusted off for fire&ice shots otherwise it's never used.

Anyone know a good cheater recipe for Mojitos if you don't have mint?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

leica posted:

Thanks to Fireball our Rumpleminze got dusted off for fire&ice shots otherwise it's never used.

Anyone know a good cheater recipe for Mojitos if you don't have mint?

Best mojito recipe, with or without mint:

"Sorry, we don't make those here."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Rumpleminze was great, I used to take a shot of it at the end of every shift so nobody could smell the beer, Jager, or whiskey on my breath.

you mean the start of every shift?

guess it works for both

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Best mojito recipe, with or without mint:

"Sorry, we don't make those here."

Well yeah that's what I always say, but sometimes I feel bad and want to offer something similar without the mint.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
You run a beach bar, right? Gold rum, pineapple, maybe a splash of orange. I love Mount Gay.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

mooyashi posted:

You run a beach bar, right? Gold rum, pineapple, maybe a splash of orange. I love Mount Gay.

Hell yeah. Caribou Lou 'em. Dunno if it's a proper substitute for a mojito, but it's a fine drink. Haven't seen my friends get nearly that hosed up completely by surprise since I made up a massive batch for a summer party a few years back. One glass was good, and halfway through the second the guy with the nicotine patch had peeled it off and was asking for a smoke and one guy couldn't stop laughing.

Gooooooood times.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mooyashi posted:

Yep. My favorite is Mount Gay Miami Vices with a Myers floater.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've started preparing absinthe at home the old-fashioned way, with sugar cube on the special spoon and dripping water. I haven't got a special dripper for it, I've just been doing it by hand with a water bottle. However, the sugar never really mixes properly and kinda winds up settling at the bottom, forcing me to stir it up a bit. Any suggestions for how to better prepare the stuff?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I've only done it with pastis but maybe you're dripping too quickly? With our fountain a rate of about a drip per second seems to be enough.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I'm definitely dripping more quickly than that. I'll try slowing it down some.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Not to sound like a broken record, but use sugar syrup and prepare it frappe or something. Unless the goofy ritual is important, in which case yeah, slow the water. Also, forget I called it goofy.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
How much do you all pay a barback? I am backing at a busy bar in New Orleans and I get 10% credit tips and no cash tips. This seems pretty low to me, but I have no experience anywhere else only what I hear. Ultimately it ends up with the bartenders making about 3 to 4 times as much as me. The bartenders keep telling me not to worry about it because by next week I will be elevated to the level of bartender and therefore won't care, but I'm still going to want the next barback to get paid right.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I tipped out 20-25% of total tips, when I was still in the industry. That's on the high side, but I had the luxury of working with some exceedingly good barbacks so it was worth it to me.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
All the places I've worked gave 10% of tips to barbacks. And the places I've worked have only ever had one barback working during any given shift. That's 10% of all tips, not just credit. Oh, and hourly wage obvi.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I worked at places that gave barbacks %15-%20.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

my tipouts have always been relative to sales, not tips made. it always seemed kind of easy to just fudge numbers and undercut people when there's no record of what you're getting 20-25% of. maybe im being pessimistic, but hey, maybe that's why you're only getting a percentage of credit card tips because there's going to be a record of that... except that's loving grade a comedy if you're not getting a slice of cash tips at all because someone might undercut you on that and that'd be unfair.

doginapot
Nov 11, 2004
a dog in a pot
20% has been standard for most places I know. However, some places have a better barback wage, and the tipout is less. In any case, if 20% is higher than normal, it won't kill a bartender to set a better precedent, and for the whole time I was a barback, a better tipout was an effective way of saying thank you (especially after hectic nights) and encouraging you to continue, and look out for everyone. The minimum says other things.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

God bless great barbacks, great titties, and great tippers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lPtr6dQrnY

Please note that as a sophisticated and actual man I disagree with the opinions stated in this video and gladly drink brasso mixed with pine tar.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Did my first shift as bar back in a very trendy New York style bar in Manchester (UK)'s Northern Quarter this weekend. I'd worked as a bartender in a small sports club in my hometown but the environment just doesn't compare and I can't wait to hopefully move up to bartending and learn to make all the cocktails. Bar backing was tough but it flew by and was pretty fun, it's a good atmosphere in the bar, although gently caress the general public after about 11 when you've got a stack of glasses balanced on your shoulder and there isn't any floor space that isn't full of well dressed posh people dancing obnoxiously (not that I begrudge them that of course, but I'm allowed to complain).

I know this has been asked a million times in this thread and I've read the responses but if anyone has any other lesser known tips for being a good bar back let me know! Also has anyone tried Big Wave? It's a craft beer and is apparently the most refreshing thing in the world.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Did my first shift as bar back in a very trendy New York style bar in Manchester (UK)'s Northern Quarter this weekend. I'd worked as a bartender in a small sports club in my hometown but the environment just doesn't compare and I can't wait to hopefully move up to bartending and learn to make all the cocktails. Bar backing was tough but it flew by and was pretty fun, it's a good atmosphere in the bar, although gently caress the general public after about 11 when you've got a stack of glasses balanced on your shoulder and there isn't any floor space that isn't full of well dressed posh people dancing obnoxiously (not that I begrudge them that of course, but I'm allowed to complain).

I know this has been asked a million times in this thread and I've read the responses but if anyone has any other lesser known tips for being a good bar back let me know! Also has anyone tried Big Wave? It's a craft beer and is apparently the most refreshing thing in the world.

Keep your head up, work hard, think three steps ahead.

Big Wave is Kona Brewing out of Hawaii. Nothing that goes that far from home is still craft.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

Nothing that goes that far from home is still craft.

Oh please, IPAs and a couple of other very delicate styles of beer aside, most beers travel fine, if treated appropriately. The problem is finding a distributor and shipper that don't store the product like they don't give a gently caress. Even IPA's just get less hoppy over time, I don't know exactly how long it takes beer to go "bad" but I've cellared beers for years and years and none of them have ever gone "off" the way a beer will if its constantly exposed to UV light or sudden changes in temperature.

I assume the smaller guys don't have the money to really guarantee the quality of their product throughout shipping, but you'd think if they were really concerned about the fidelity of their beer, they'd just do what Stone do and refuse to transport it outside of a particular area

Anecdotal: the only beers I've ever had that have been clearly off have been mass produced beers imported from Europe, I've never had a problem with any of the American craft stuff I've imported apart from a few overcarbonated bottle conditioned beers

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

navyjack posted:

Keep your head up, work hard, think three steps ahead.

Big Wave is Kona Brewing out of Hawaii. Nothing that goes that far from home is still craft.

Any Kona brew that you get in a bottle is brewed somewhere that's not Hawaii as part of the Craft Brew Alliance. They also alter the local water to match what they use on the big island.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Oh please, IPAs and a couple of other very delicate styles of beer aside, most beers travel fine, if treated appropriately.

I was just being a snob.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jakabite posted:

Most important thing unmentioned: Bartenders get first dibs on the desperate/drunk girls at the end of the night.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Most important thing unmentioned: Bartenders get first dibs on the desperate/drunk girls at the end of the night.

Um, gross.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

E: nope. Not funny.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scumbags gonna scum. I learned the hard way not to date/sleep with your regulars.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I am queen creep but it's pretty distasteful to joke about gettin your customers intoxicated to take advantage of them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I am queen creep but it's pretty distasteful to joke about gettin your customers intoxicated to take advantage of them.

Joke's on you because that means you're not queen creep

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I am officially queen creep now.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

No, stupid, you get them drunk so you can rob them they think you remembering they were just at your bar 5 minutes ago is the most amazing thing and they absolutely need to tip you. No, no, please don't stuff that $20 in my jar. No, please. No.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Joke's on you; I have tits, I don't need to get people drunk to rob them blind.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

I am officially queen creep now.

I'll allow it

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Thread arete page

raton fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 10, 2014

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Um, gross

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Money aside, nobody bartends for the hours

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

Um, gross

No you see it's cool when girls make crass jokes, it's the rest of us that aren't allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
My last restaurant job needs me to work Saturday night behind the bar. It's been 9 months since I've worked there because I started a real job. Hope everyone likes gin and tonics because that's all I've been making for 3 weeks at home.

• Locked thread